Iraq

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Idris said:

Ah ya, the thumbs up Jesus from Dogma,
    -
    Yep, Publix sales will decline, whole foods sales will increase (cause of all the hipster terrorist's buying into it)

Would have to be 100% organic and terror free.:)))
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    JimmyV said:

Idris said:

The U.S. is backing governments and groups that are responsible for slaughtering innocent people in Africa, yet we care about innocent people in Iraq. Only cause it's in our own interest to do so.

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

'Far fewer' stranded on Iraq mountain than feared, US says

An American assessment team found "far fewer" Yazidis trapped in northern Iraq than expected, making an evacuation mission less likely, as the flight of minority groups from advancing jihadists showed no let-up Thursday.

But the Pentagon said that -- based on a firsthand assessment by a small party of US military personnel -- the plight of those on the mountain was not as bad as had been feared, and an evacuation mission was therefore "far less likely".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-forces-headed-iraq-mountain-kurdish-spokesman-191034538.html#eQDltCw

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. Thought this quote was telling, and kind of negates the idea that the crisis was overblown from the beginning

"The team has assessed that there are far fewer Yazidis on Mount Sinjar than previously feared, in part because of the success of humanitarian air drops, air strikes on (IS) targets, the efforts of the (Kurdish forces) and the ability of thousands of Yazidis to evacuate from the mountain each night over the last several days," he said.

"The Yazidis who remain are in better condition than previously believed and continue to have access to the food and water that we have dropped."

Food and water improved the situation on the mountain top and the air strikes opened a corridor for people to escape through. That those efforts mitigated the need for a large-scale rescue operation doesn't indicate to me that such an operation was never seen as a possible necessity. People were trapped on the mountain and they needed help.

Can you verify that the airstrikes were to open a corridor for escape? Because the reports I've read were that the airstrikes were defending Erbil (or Arbil or Irbil....damn translations) - the Kurdish capital and oil hub for the region, from IS advance. Erbil is 250km east of the Sinjar mountains....although some US officials were quick to take credit, all reports I've seen say that it was the Kurdish fighters who helped the people off the mountain, with the US air dropping only food and water in the area.
    I can't say for sure, but I think the convolution of where and when between the two separate issues is intentional....bring up a humanitarian crisis and promote the shit out of it while you drop bombs to protect oil interests elsewhere.....westerners have never been good with foreign geography, it's no surprise that we wouldn't be expected to pick up on that.

Off the top of my head I can't verify that airstrikes opened that corridor but I will look around for more info.

How'd you make out, Jimmy? I poked around a bit more and still found nothing to support your statement about the US airstrikes helping people off the mountain. I'm not trying to call you out....but if I'm right (haven't seen anything to suggest I'm not), and the US was defending a city rich in oil, while simultaneously talking non-stop about saving poor refugees, I think it makes an important point about media manipulation, and US intentions in Iraq.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,687

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

The U.S. is backing governments and groups that are responsible for slaughtering innocent people in Africa, yet we care about innocent people in Iraq. Only cause it's in our own interest to do so.

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

An American assessment team found "far fewer" Yazidis trapped in northern Iraq than expected, making an evacuation mission less likely, as the flight of minority groups from advancing jihadists showed no let-up Thursday.

But the Pentagon said that -- based on a firsthand assessment by a small party of US military personnel -- the plight of those on the mountain was not as bad as had been feared, and an evacuation mission was therefore "far less likely".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-forces-headed-iraq-mountain-kurdish-spokesman-191034538.html#eQDltCw

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. Thought this quote was telling, and kind of negates the idea that the crisis was overblown from the beginning

"The team has assessed that there are far fewer Yazidis on Mount Sinjar than previously feared, in part because of the success of humanitarian air drops, air strikes on (IS) targets, the efforts of the (Kurdish forces) and the ability of thousands of Yazidis to evacuate from the mountain each night over the last several days," he said.

"The Yazidis who remain are in better condition than previously believed and continue to have access to the food and water that we have dropped."

Food and water improved the situation on the mountain top and the air strikes opened a corridor for people to escape through. That those efforts mitigated the need for a large-scale rescue operation doesn't indicate to me that such an operation was never seen as a possible necessity. People were trapped on the mountain and they needed help.

Can you verify that the airstrikes were to open a corridor for escape? Because the reports I've read were that the airstrikes were defending Erbil (or Arbil or Irbil....damn translations) - the Kurdish capital and oil hub for the region, from IS advance. Erbil is 250km east of the Sinjar mountains....although some US officials were quick to take credit, all reports I've seen say that it was the Kurdish fighters who helped the people off the mountain, with the US air dropping only food and water in the area.
    I can't say for sure, but I think the convolution of where and when between the two separate issues is intentional....bring up a humanitarian crisis and promote the shit out of it while you drop bombs to protect oil interests elsewhere.....westerners have never been good with foreign geography, it's no surprise that we wouldn't be expected to pick up on that.

Off the top of my head I can't verify that airstrikes opened that corridor but I will look around for more info.

How'd you make out, Jimmy? I poked around a bit more and still found nothing to support your statement about the US airstrikes helping people off the mountain. I'm not trying to call you out....but if I'm right (haven't seen anything to suggest I'm not), and the US was defending a city rich in oil, while simultaneously talking non-stop about saving poor refugees, I think it makes an important point about media manipulation, and US intentions in Iraq.

US airstrikes played a key role in retaking the dam though, that we do know for sure, and that dam provides water and power to millions apparently.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

US airstrikes played a key role in retaking the dam though, that we do know for sure, and that dam provides water and power to millions apparently.
    These are good things.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

JimmyV said:

Idris said:

I haven't found anything I would describe as being proof yet, no. Several articles parroting the idea that the bombing opened a corridor for the trapped to escape, but nothing that definitively proves that to be true. I'll keep looking though. :-)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,048
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It's funny how the ad at the top of the page (for me) is for some new tv show called The Intruders - "don't let them in"

I know that often, people don't necessarily reap what they sow, much as they should or that we wish they would.

I sure hope WBC does, and then some.