Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,993
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

Teach kids to shoot guns - it will suppress curiosity and lower accidental deaths.

Yup.

As much as people deride the NRA, they offer youth gun safety programs. If more kids were taught to respect firearms, fewer accidental shootings involving kids would almost certainly be the result.
    Bingo.
    Which is great. It just requires the parent to exhibit responsible handling as well. If the parent(s) wont , why should the child?

If the parents won't, they should rethink owning firearms. Barring that, professional instructors are available.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    Better yet is a society where guns simply aren't an issue at all so there is no need for children or adults to use them (as is the case in most of the Western world).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    What steps can be taken to make that the case in the US?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dudeman said:

What steps can be taken to make that the case in the US?

I've said again and again, the main issue in the US is its gun culture. Changing that will take generations, and it will also take real work from many different groups. I never said it was easy, but I don't think it would be impossible to get rid of its gun culture over time. I don't have time for an essay on my thoughts here, but a good place to start on an individual level would be for people to stop treating guns like they're entertainment, and stop teaching kids that they are normal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ^^^^^i don't know. Not feeling grief.

One of the Eagles founder's wife "accidentally" shot herself to death few days ago.

Want guns,I'm cool with that but hard for me to think your safer because of it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I'm all for teaching kids about gun safety but 4 is too young, IMO. She should never have left a loaded gun where a child, or anyone else could pick it up.

Glad that no one was killed but that lady totally failed in both gun safety and parenting.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    dudeman said:

I'm all for teaching kids about gun safety but 4 is too young, IMO. She should never have left a loaded gun where a child, or anyone else could pick it up.

Glad that no one was killed but that lady totally failed in both gun safety and parenting.
    I agree, a responsible parent does not leave guns, household cleaners, rat poison, knives, etc where a 4 year old can get ahold of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    What a stupid fucking cow.
    And there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with someone who models her kid and her gun in the same photo, and seriously wrong with a culture that deems that okay (i.e. the US gun culture).
    Yeah RIGHT it's for protection. She called her gun her "toy" that she gets to "play" with and commented that her 4 year old gets stoked about shooting. Protection my ass.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Bottom of the gene pool. Leaving a loaded gun in the back seat with a 4 year old? Unfit to be a parent. Too bad in Florida it's only a misdemeanor to leave a loaded weapon within reach of a child.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Bottom of the gene pool. Leaving a loaded gun in the back seat with a 4 year old? Unfit to be a parent. Too bad in Florida it's only a misdemeanor to leave a loaded weapon within reach of a child.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    have to say these stories amuse me.... stupid parents.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

have to say these stories amuse me.... stupid parents.

Yup. And the beautiful thing about a democracy? They have as much say as someone with more than half a brain.

The only reason Trump has any popularity at all right now is because he says the things morons like to hear and... there's lots of morons eager to tick a box when the time comes to tick a box.

As amusing as it is... it can be scary at the same time.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

And there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with someone who models her kid and her gun in the same photo, and seriously wrong with a culture that deems that okay (i.e. the US gun culture).
    Yeah RIGHT it's for protection. She called her gun her "toy" that she gets to "play" with and commented that her 4 year old gets stoked about shooting. Protection my ass.
    To be fair, it is perfectly legal and accepted in many areas of the country to own guns for recreational purposes. Some people guns for protection. Some for hunting. Some earn their living as competitive shooters.

The "Gun Culture" here in the states is multi-faceted and unlikely to diminish any time soon.

That certainly doesn't absolve the negligence and abuse of guns by folks belonging to any particular group of gun owners. If someone is injured or killed because of one's misuse or neglect involving firearms, they should be arrested, investigated and tried by a jury of their peers.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

To be fair, it is perfectly legal and accepted in many areas of the country to own guns for recreational purposes. Some people guns for protection. Some for hunting. Some earn their living as competitive shooters.

The "Gun Culture" here in the states is multi-faceted and unlikely to diminish any time soon.

That certainly doesn't absolve the negligence and abuse of guns by folks belonging to any particular group of gun owners. If someone is injured or killed because of one's misuse or neglect involving firearms, they should be arrested, investigated and tried by a jury of their peers.
    Yeah, but I was referring to the fact that this dumb bitch has posted rants online about how her guns are for protection (i.e. claims that her right to protect her family trumps the fears that people have about all of her guns).
  • Options
    Yeah, that lady is a fucking moron.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Florida

She threatened a spanking, he stood his ground. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Florida

She threatened a spanking, he stood his ground. Nothing to see here.
    Lol!

This is whyyyyyyyy 4 year olds need to be armed aaaaaand trained. F**k spankings. Put a frickin cap in your ass and then let's see who's whoopin' who. Get me a gawddamn gun dammit.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,843
    Dudeman, you make intelligent posts regarding gun safety and I respect that. I think most people on here realize that guns will always be a part of our society but as 'right' that has the potential to kill people there needs to be better regulation. I wouldn't call for a banning of guns. I just want it to be difficult to obtain a gun. I don't know the statistics but it seems to me the majority of gun owners see it as a hobby, a part of our gun culture, as opposed to personal protection.
  • Options
    I totally agree. We as a nation could do better.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ........... Of course the cop didn't intentionally fire at another cop. He intentionally fired at a black guy with a gun, who was a cop.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,157
    Shame. All accounts are he was a good cop.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

........... Of course the cop didn't intentionally fire at another cop. He intentionally fired at a black guy with a gun, who was a cop.

Prove it.

edit - if you were a lawyer and wanted to take this stance I mean.
  • Options
    Prove what? The witnesses said that he intentionally fired at the person killed, and he was black who was a cop.

I don't know, but I definitely DO wonder if this would have happened if everything had be exactly the same, except that the dead cop had been white. Would it have been a different outcome? We'll never know.... but just that the question comes to mind means something.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,165
    PJ_Soul said:

Prove what? The witnesses said that he intentionally fired at the person killed, and he was black who was a cop.

I don't know, but I definitely DO wonder if this would have happened if everything had be exactly the same, except that the dead cop had been white. Would it have been a different outcome? We'll never know.... but just that the question comes to mind means something.

"but just that the question comes to mind means something"

Meaning that race is always a factor?

Whenever I hear a news story they make sure to use the "buzz" words like black male, Muslim, assault rifle, etc.

It's never just "a cop was shot by accidental fire". It's a white cop shot at a black cop"... Funny how that's programmed into our brains. Is it "racist" to report it without race? Serious question.
  • Options
    Of course it's not.

The only reason it (white cop vs black people) occurs to people is because it seems to keep happening. People simply respond to repetition and patterns.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,165
    PJ_Soul said:

Of course it's not.

The only reason it (white cop vs black people) occurs to people is because it seems to keep happening. People simply respond to repetition and patterns.

Very true but white people are shot by white and black cops but no headlines about that or a black cop shooting a black person either. It's not news worthy because race isn't involved and it's not a hot button.

Just something I've noticed and was wondering others' opinions.
This discussion has been closed.