• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,574
    Damn link doesn't work for me either.

But then again Im not a racist homophobic xenophobe
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989

Damn link doesn't work for me either.

But then again Im not a racist homophobic xenophobe
    This is why we can't seem to get anywhere with this topic. Some people just can't participate on a civilized level. The name calling accomplishes absolutely nothing of value.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330

dudeman said:

I've never thought about owning a gun. I am single with no kids so I don't have some instinct that I need one to protect my family or anything.

Well, today, a neighbor in my apartment complex charged me with his car twice (drive at me, stopped a foot short, backed up and drove right at my car again and stopped a foot short). All he had to do was turn left and get to the street, but he wanted to turn left past another row of cars behind me and then go to the same street (i.e., he didn't need me to move my car at all to get where he wanted to go). The way the parking lot is set up he should have taken the first left anyway. I have a nice car that I love and didn't want it keyed later on so I backed up and just let the psychopath through, but I wish I would have got out of the car and confronted the guy.

That was the first time where I thought having a gun would be handy. Not in this situation necessarily because I didn't want the false confidence a gun would provide and start a shouting match, but moreso because you just never know what kind of psychopath or drugged up individual you may run into.

That's an interesting choice of words. (bold above)

Do you think that gun owners are confrontational?
    Yeah , that's a pretty strange thing to say. False confidence isn't something I can relate to as a gun owner. That notion implies that one might take chances that they wouldn't if they didn't have a gun.

IME, I find the opposite to be true.
    I would think that having a gun may make someone feel a little more confident to confront someone who bothers them because if it escalates they will have the protection of the gun, versus just avoiding the conflict to begin with.

I am not talking about all gun owners. I Would be hard pressed though to say that carrying a gun wouldn't make them more confident than they normally would.
    I disagree with the first part. You would have no idea if the other person is carrying, too, so why would you want a situation to escalate? You could get yourself shot!

I agree with being more confident. I go camping and hiking whenever possible, sometimes by myself. After a few hairy incidents, it's either carry or stay home. There are too many weirdos out there.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,001
    Pjpower , i think there was a thread based on what you are posting already in place. Post these stories there will you?

Unless your intent is to show, violence begets violence.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,572
    rgambs said:

I couldn't read this, the link won't work unless you are wearing a tinfoil hat.
    They can be quite comfortable and cost effective
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mickeyrat said:

Pjpower , i think there was a thread based on what you are posting already in place. Post these stories there will you?

I was nicely asked to start posting these articles by a fellow member a couple pages back (pjsoul). My intent was to appease that member. But I'll stop if that's what everyone wants. I guess my point was that people use guns stop other forms of violence on a regular basis. I feel I have made my point.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

I was nicely asked to start posting these articles by a fellow member a couple pages back (pjsoul). My intent was to appease that member. But I'll stop if that's what everyone wants. I guess my point was that people use guns stop other forms of violence on a regular basis. I feel I have made my point.
    That point was already understood but it is moot.

The incidents for self defence are dramatically disproportionate to the daily gun homocides.

Not to mention the fact that most of these self defence stories we read detail people defending themselves against a gun.

And nobody is saying the homeowner shouldn't have a gun. People are deliberating what type of gun is appropriate. A shotgun has as much stopping power as a person would ever need stopping an intruder. An assault rifle or handgun is unnecessary.

Don't worry though. As much as legislation is needed for gun control, it will never happen. Outside of some voices, your country has either decided the cons are not enough to outweigh the 'fun' factor for enthusiasts... or they are willingly blind to the obvious. That's one of the pitfalls of a democracy: even fools get a voice.

The problem your country experiences could be fixed in time, but the will simply isn't there. Let's be honest about that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited February 2016

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

That point was already understood but it is moot.

The incidents for self defence are dramatically disproportionate to the daily gun homocides.

Not to mention the fact that most of these self defence stories we read detail people defending themselves against a gun.

And nobody is saying the homeowner shouldn't have a gun. People are deliberating what type of gun is appropriate. A shotgun has as much stopping power as a person would ever need stopping an intruder. An assault rifle or handgun is unnecessary.

Don't worry though. As much as legislation is needed for gun control, it will never happen. Outside of some voices, your country has either decided the cons are not enough to outweigh the 'fun' factor for enthusiasts... or they are willingly blind to the obvious. That's one of the pitfalls of a democracy: even fools get a voice.

The problem your country experiences could be fixed in time, but the will simply isn't there. Let's be honest about that.
    The only reason I jumped in here is because someone WAS saying that private ownership of all guns should be outlawed a few pages back. You may not have that opinion, but it is not fair to say "nobody" does. I believe the time and money wasted on attacking firearms could be better allocated on increasing availability of after school programs, mental health, education. People in this country are realistically just not going to give up their firearms...whether it be what some describe as "assault rifles" or handguns. That is a losing battle and only creates a defensive stance and gets people "up in arms"-pun intended. In order to decrease violence in Chiraq (Chicago) and similar cities with major violence rates, children need to have options other than gangs, drugs, poverty, etc. Billions have been spent on this "gun control" battle. What would 1 billion dollars do if spent on even one inner city or ghetto? Pretty sure you could lower gun violence in other ways than attempting to create magical disappearing act of handguns and semi-automatic rifles.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Just a terrible accident.

Mom needs charged with manslaughter
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    mickeyrat said:

Not going to disagree with you there. I'm all about putting pressure on people to exercise proper firearm safety. I don't understand why (unless only to push a separate agenda) they kept pointing out the "semi-automatic" rifle point unless multiple rounds were fired. When they say "accident", I'm inclined to believe it was only one bullet and would have happened regardless of what rifle was involved.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

Not going to disagree with you there. I'm all about putting pressure on people to exercise proper firearm safety. I don't understand why (unless only to push a separate agenda) they kept pointing out the "semi-automatic" rifle point unless multiple rounds were fired. When they say "accident", I'm inclined to believe it was only one bullet and would have happened regardless of what rifle was involved.
    I would assume the article would have mentioned bolt action if that were in fact the case.

Edit to add, having now read the article the only reference the weapon three times once in the headline a general generic description in the opening paragraph or two and then the specific make model and manufacturer in a subsequent paragraph. Maybe it's my stance on the issue which is I made point out not against the 2nd amendment in total, but rather better regulatory powers across the board to prevent such crime as this one. In my opinion a good prosecutor could and should argue drug charges against the mom.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

I would assume the article would have mentioned bolt action if that were in fact the case.
    Not sure I understand what you mean... You do know that both semi-auto and bolt action rifles only fire one round per trigger pull, right?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

Not sure I understand what you mean... You do know that both semi-auto and bolt action rifles only fire one round per trigger pull, right?
    Yes. This particular article does not say one way or the other. If one or more shots were fired. I think what I found most disturbing about the article aside from the semi-automatic in the hands of a 17 year old drug dealer, was the fact it took them a fucking year to charge these kids and the mom

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

Yes. This particular article does not say one way or the other. If one or more shots were fired. I think what I found most disturbing about the article aside from the semi-automatic in the hands of a 17 year old drug dealer, was the fact it took them a fucking year to charge these kids and the mom
    That is interesting, although I can see there being a lot of investigation and paperwork from a lot of places (Children Protective Services) that would go into a situation like this. Who knows...
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJPOWER said:

Lol, if that's true. That would be when he found out how little authority he actually has. Shame on anyone that would actually follow an order like that. Good luck getting local Sherrifs and city leaders to. Laughable.
    agreed ! I haven't read past your post but I think it was just a scare article meant to keep the Obama bashing alive and well, I'd like to think even Obama isn't that stupid....well maybe he is, I don't know.

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambs said:

I couldn't read this, the link won't work unless you are wearing a tinfoil hat.
    you don't have one ??????? what ever will you do when the gray's come to take control of our planet ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

There are just too many stories of verbal arguments leading to carriers blasting away, like the (highly trained and disciplined) cop in Florida that blew a guy away for talking in the theater.

This is wrong. Citizens with legal carry permits have been proven to be among the most law-abiding members of society. More than the typical LEO even.
    last year Florida issued over 2 million permits and when Obama was on T.V talking about his latest exertive action concerning guns and gun shows over 11 million guns were sold, every time he opens his mouth about gun control more guns are sold.

Godfather.
  • Options

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

There are just too many stories of verbal arguments leading to carriers blasting away, like the (highly trained and disciplined) cop in Florida that blew a guy away for talking in the theater.

This is wrong. Citizens with legal carry permits have been proven to be among the most law-abiding members of society. More than the typical LEO even.
    last year Florida issued over 2 million permits and when Obama was on T.V talking about his latest exertive action concerning guns and gun shows over 11 million guns were sold, every time he opens his mouth about gun control more guns are sold.

Godfather.
    Sad but true. You would think he would re think what he says and how he says it. Like you said every time he says something concerning guns or legislation, gun sales go up
  • Options
    edited February 2016

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.
    Sad but true. You would think he would re think what he says and how he says it. Like you said every time he says something concerning guns or legislation, gun sales go up
    Doesn't fucking matter what anyone says. The minute a massacre happens you guys go running to the fucking gun store.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.
    Doesn't fucking matter what anyone says. The minute a massacre happens you guys go running to the fucking gun store.
    you guy's ? but I believe every time there is a massacre gun rights are attacked and people go buy a gun just in case there is a block of some sort, the same politicians apposed to gun ownership create a spike in sales every time (thank you media) they open their mouths.

Godfather.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,132
    Killings in Michigan - wonder why all those gun toting michigans have let this happen
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,574
    edited February 2016

Killings in Michigan - wonder why all those gun toting michigans have let this happen

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

6 killed and almost no coverage.. if the killer was Muslim I bet the coverage would be ramped up.
    6 - Half of the number killed at Columbine.
    It angers and sickens me that we have accepted this way of life.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/

The guy looks like a f**king goofball. Likely years of walking around looking like a f**king goofball drove him to randomly shoot people he never even knew (from the sounds of it).

Has some sick guns though! A chickenshit. He was apprehended without incident- only tuff enough to shoot unsuspecting women. As soon as the hint of a conflict developed for him... he shit his pants and succumbed to authority. Now we can make him lunch, wipe his ass, and show him love.

I'm amping up my stance on the DP for goofballs like this. Feed him to the rats. Seriously. F**king idiot.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Guy in Michigan should have been shot and killed by police. Stop shooting innocent unarmed people and take out these fuckers that go on killing sprees.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Guy in Michigan should have been shot and killed by police. Stop shooting innocent unarmed people and take out these fuckers that go on killing sprees.

I'm good with that
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,344
    myoung321 said:

6 killed and almost no coverage.. if the killer was Muslim I bet the coverage would be ramped up.
    6 - Half of the number killed at Columbine.
    It angers and sickens me that we have accepted this way of life.
    6 that's peanuts in the grand scheme of mass murders America only talks about mass killings when it's 10 or more and only talks about cause we all know that nothing will ever happen ,,, guns guns and more guns is the only thing that will happen people just wanna buy guns ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
This discussion has been closed.