Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:
    I see stories like that everyday. I guess it just depends on who people are sold to on Facebook as to what they ignore or not.
    Really, you see those stories everyday? Well please, post them for us.
    I am not diligent in logging on to the forum on a daily basis, but I can start posting them when I see them if you would like.
    Sure, I look forward to your brand new articles daily, thanks.
    I would not look too forward to it, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that we do not agree even in the slightest on this issue and frankly don't feel the need to prove myself to individuals with polar opposite points of view. "Every day" was obviously an exaduration, but the stories are out there and they are not uncommon. They just don't get the same coverage.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,019
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:
    I see stories like that everyday. I guess it just depends on who people are sold to on Facebook as to what they ignore or not.
    Really, you see those stories everyday? Well please, post them for us.
    I am not diligent in logging on to the forum on a daily basis, but I can start posting them when I see them if you would like.
    Sure, I look forward to your brand new articles daily, thanks.
    I would not look too forward to it, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that we do not agree even in the slightest on this issue and frankly don't feel the need to prove myself to individuals with polar opposite points of view. "Every day" was obviously an exaduration, but the stories are out there and they are not uncommon. They just don't get the same coverage.
    Good luck trying to show people here that sometimes gun ownership is positive. I dare say that most people here already have their minds made up about guns. (Myself included.)
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,066
    Pj power showing lots of links to prove his stance....nice work!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    the ticket cartels who stole our tickets today and put them on stub hub also want your guns silly americans. lol

there will be no uprising without arms
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    I work in an elementary school and deal with a lot of small children on a daily basis. I've actually written down names of kids that are really troubled and if they commit a terrible crime someday, it will not surprise me. It's really amazing. The parents are involved and concerned and seemingly normal. These kids are just 'off', something isn't right. I wish there was a way to flag them. If a school has documented questionable behavior for years, it should mean something!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,684
    I've never thought about owning a gun. I am single with no kids so I don't have some instinct that I need one to protect my family or anything.

Well, today, a neighbor in my apartment complex charged me with his car twice (drive at me, stopped a foot short, backed up and drove right at my car again and stopped a foot short). All he had to do was turn left and get to the street, but he wanted to turn left past another row of cars behind me and then go to the same street (i.e., he didn't need me to move my car at all to get where he wanted to go). The way the parking lot is set up he should have taken the first left anyway. I have a nice car that I love and didn't want it keyed later on so I backed up and just let the psychopath through, but I wish I would have got out of the car and confronted the guy.

That was the first time where I thought having a gun would be handy. Not in this situation necessarily because I didn't want the false confidence a gun would provide and start a shouting match, but moreso because you just never know what kind of psychopath or drugged up individual you may run into.
  • Options
    First, I am glad that no one was hurt in the parking lot incident. It sounds like it could have been much worse.

The last sentence in your post is the key. You never know when you will cross paths with someone who wishes to do you harm. I figure it's wise to be prepared if you find yourself in a life threatening situation with an attacker.

Please keep in mind that having a gun is only part of being prepared. Safety, situational awareness, judgement and proficiency are absolutely critical.

Best case scenario is, of course, never needing a gun for protection. I'd rather have it and never need it than. .......you know the rest.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Good ol' Scalia, They really did have to pry it from his cold dead hands.
    RIP paisano
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330

I've never thought about owning a gun. I am single with no kids so I don't have some instinct that I need one to protect my family or anything.

Well, today, a neighbor in my apartment complex charged me with his car twice (drive at me, stopped a foot short, backed up and drove right at my car again and stopped a foot short). All he had to do was turn left and get to the street, but he wanted to turn left past another row of cars behind me and then go to the same street (i.e., he didn't need me to move my car at all to get where he wanted to go). The way the parking lot is set up he should have taken the first left anyway. I have a nice car that I love and didn't want it keyed later on so I backed up and just let the psychopath through, but I wish I would have got out of the car and confronted the guy.

That was the first time where I thought having a gun would be handy. Not in this situation necessarily because I didn't want the false confidence a gun would provide and start a shouting match, but moreso because you just never know what kind of psychopath or drugged up individual you may run into.

That's an interesting choice of words. (bold above)

Do you think that gun owners are confrontational?
  • Options

Yeah , that's a pretty strange thing to say. False confidence isn't something I can relate to as a gun owner. That notion implies that one might take chances that they wouldn't if they didn't have a gun.

IME, I find the opposite to be true.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,684
    dudeman said:

Yeah , that's a pretty strange thing to say. False confidence isn't something I can relate to as a gun owner. That notion implies that one might take chances that they wouldn't if they didn't have a gun.

I would think that having a gun may make someone feel a little more confident to confront someone who bothers them because if it escalates they will have the protection of the gun, versus just avoiding the conflict to begin with.

I am not talking about all gun owners. I Would be hard pressed though to say that carrying a gun wouldn't make them more confident than they normally would.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

dudeman said:

I would think that having a gun may make someone feel a little more confident to confront someone who bothers them because if it escalates they will have the protection of the gun, versus just avoiding the conflict to begin with.

I am not talking about all gun owners. I Would be hard pressed though to say that carrying a gun wouldn't make them more confident than they normally would.
    I am going to have to agree with dudeman on this one. While I can see your point and hesitation, I think they are mostly unfounded fears. When I'm concealed carrying, I'm not sure I can say I'm more or less confident. I feel more prepared, but it does not make me more confrontational. I would argue just the opposite as well as you know you would be in a LOT of trouble if you are seen as an aggressor in a situation. You actually avoid a lot of places where fights regularly break out (bars, sports events, etc) while carrying because you are breaking the law otherwise. If you are an irresponsible, aggressive, confrontational person that cannot stay out of bars and looks for fights, then you should probably ask yourself if owning a firearm is a good idea and you are probably part of the reason others feel the need to protect themselves. You face all kinds of legal, moral, civil ramifications if you use your firearm even in a defensive situation. If you escalated the situation, provoked violence, are seen as the aggressor, you are going to justifiably face even more of those rammications. As a concealed carrier, those things should always be in the back of your mind. Personally, I tend to be more self aware, less confrontational and more responsible while I'm carrying. If you are a sociopath or cannot stay out of the bars, do us all a favor and do not get a firearm. That's your personal/civil responsibility.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options

dudeman said:

Having a gun for protection is a last resort. The gun shouldn't come into play unless you are going to be killed otherwise. If you confront someone that is bothering you because you feel more confident that you're armed, you should rethink being armed. Someone that does that is a potential danger to themselves and others and is a contributor to the problem, not the solution.

You should always avoid confrontation and never deliberately escalate a potentially dangerous situation.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    There are just too many stories of verbal arguments leading to carriers blasting away, like the (highly trained and disciplined) cop in Florida that blew a guy away for talking in the theater.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rgambs said:

There are just too many stories of verbal arguments leading to carriers blasting away, like the (highly trained and disciplined) cop in Florida that blew a guy away for talking in the theater.

I disagree, universally concealed carriers are not the aggressors with the exception of a nut case now and then. The media sensationize those incidents because they are rare. If he was disciplined, the incident probably would not have happened. It's funny how people think police are gods at firearm training. Most of them pass their minimum qualifications and move on. My friends and I regularly out shoot officers at the range (no disrespect to the men in blue).
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,850
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:
    "Multiple foreign language sources indicate that two of the eight attackers were killed shortly after beginning their attack on a cafe by three of the cafe’s customers."

You would think something that big would have been written in 1 English paper. It's credibility is highly doubtful.

As for Hughes position: Does he want concert goers to be allowed to bring guns into arenas? Because that is pretty insane.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    Lol, if that's true. That would be when he found out how little authority he actually has. Shame on anyone that would actually follow an order like that. Good luck getting local Sherrifs and city leaders to. Laughable.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

This is wrong. Citizens with legal carry permits have been proven to be among the most law-abiding members of society. More than the typical LEO even.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:
    "Multiple foreign language sources indicate that two of the eight attackers were killed shortly after beginning their attack on a cafe by three of the cafe’s customers."

You would think something that big would have been written in 1 English paper. It's credibility is highly doubtful.

As for Hughes position: Does he want concert goers to be allowed to bring guns into arenas? Because that is pretty insane.
    But if you think about it... your hands get pretty sore clapping for those encores.

We could use our guns instead of our hands- blasting shots into the air and yelling "Yee Haw" could make a lot of noise and inspire the band to come out and really rock for us.

The possibility of a psycho getting mad because somebody bumped into him repeatedly in the pit, or having an intense hatred for a replacement drummer and shooting someone is very unlikely.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I couldn't read this, the link won't work unless you are wearing a tinfoil hat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

But if you think about it... your hands get pretty sore clapping for those encores.

We could use our guns instead of our hands- blasting shots into the air and yelling "Yee Haw" could make a lot of noise and inspire the band to come out and really rock for us.

The possibility of a psycho getting mad because somebody bumped into him repeatedly in the pit, or having an intense hatred for a replacement drummer and shooting someone is very unlikely.
    Wow, I didn't even take the same thing from that article that you guys did, lol. I don't think he was advocating mass armament at his concert, but rather how the laws in Paris did not prevent this from happening. In my opinion, guns at a concert are not a good thing and I would not advocate it in the least. I look at it as the same way bars are no place for handguns. On the other hand, that places the responsibility on the venue to ensure the people inside are protected via barriers/metal detectors and if those are not available, maybe they should consider hiring someone armed to protect the people from such incidents. Especially true since these assholes seem to be targeting places that are soft targets with large crowds. By going to a concert you expose yourself to certain risks, but whose shoulder does the burden of protection fall on? Psychos are not going to turn around if they see a "no guns allowed" sign, so what's the solution?
  • Options
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Even liberal academics can be wrong :smile:
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

Wow, I didn't even take the same thing from that article that you guys did, lol. I don't think he was advocating mass armament at his concert, but rather how the laws in Paris did not prevent this from happening. In my opinion, guns at a concert are not a good thing and I would not advocate it in the least. I look at it as the same way bars are no place for handguns. On the other hand, that places the responsibility on the venue to ensure the people inside are protected via barriers/metal detectors and if those are not available, maybe they should consider hiring someone armed to protect the people from such incidents. Especially true since these assholes seem to be targeting places that are soft targets with large crowds. By going to a concert you expose yourself to certain risks, but whose shoulder does the burden of protection fall on? Psychos are not going to turn around if they see a "no guns allowed" sign, so what's the solution?
    I'm just goofing around.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.