Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Two large deer this year for me. Harvest about 200lbs of meat.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,638

So?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Happy eating :)
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    took 16 steaks and made my own jerky. probably best ever. these guys eat wild apples, acorns, clover...more earthy than many of the deer that get fatted up on corn. These some woods deer.

WOOT
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

I want to go bird hunting.

Hahaha bird hunting...like where you buy birds and starve, dehydrate, and shake the fuck out of them so they cant get too far, then turn your dogs loose and blast the half-dead birds out of the sky..and then don't bother eating them because they are full of shot...
    That's not hunting, that's homicidal masturbation!
    That's a pretty broad assumption don't you think. I, for one, have hunted many birds and they have all been free roaming. Way to throw everyone under the bus based on the action of a few...
    Well if you don't hunt like that you aren't under the bus and you shouldn't be offended. You should agree, that isn't hunting at all.
    I do mostly agree, although I can understand how "hunts" like that could be useful if someone is trying to train their birddog. Usually those types of hunts are paid for by "city boys" that have no other options. I always laughed at the ones that bragged about "limiting out" on released birds, but as long as they're being legal about it and it keeps them from poaching on my land I'm all for it! On another positive point for hunting; this year I bagged four deer. Butchered two for myself and donated the other two to feed the less fortunate. Total costs: hunting license-$35. Processing fees for the ones that I kept- $0 (got my own setup). The two that I donated-$60 processing fees/deer. So for roughly $150 I have enough meat to last about a year and have fed numorous others! That's what hunting is all about for me and the mentality shared by most other true hunters. On top of that, you gain some humbleness, solidarity to reflect on life and other things while surrounded by nature, and a high amount of respect for the food that is on the table. I give little regard to "anti-hunters" and usually just label them as uneducated and pitiful.
    I grew up hunting. I don't do it anymore, but don't begrudge any hunter for doing it provided they are hunting for the right reasons.

You can get a high from nature by hiking and taking photos. You don't need to go kill something to achieve those objectives. That rationale you offered is weak.

Your last statement is judgemental. Let me be judgemental: I think you enjoy killing things more than you enjoy charity work. I think you enjoy snuffing the life of a living creature with your gun and donating your extra kills doesn't change that fact. Be honest... you're not undergoing the hunt for anything other than yourself.
    Oh, I do plenty of that too (hiking and taking photos). Wildlife photography would probably fit into my top 5 list of passions. I am a sociologist/biologist and have the degree to back up that claim. And I am being honest, I hunt for many reasons, but "snuffing the life out of a living creature with a gun" is not one of those. In fact, I have saved the lives of a handful of deer that were either stuck in a fence or antler locked. I try to be as self-sufficient as possible and garden and can food, etc. I see reliance as weakness. You seem like exactly the type of person that I see as uneducated and pitiful. Now go trim your "man" bun.
    Edit: I do fish purely for the enjoyment of fishing...pure relaxing entertainment. Do you consider fishing as a form hunting? If so, I guess I'm guilty there.
    That's either a lie, or you are the only hunter in the world who can honestly say that.

"Now go trim your man nun"

Seriously???

I suppose then it would be appropriate to tell you to go trim your mullet.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Hahaha bird hunting...like where you buy birds and starve, dehydrate, and shake the fuck out of them so they cant get too far, then turn your dogs loose and blast the half-dead birds out of the sky..and then don't bother eating them because they are full of shot...
    That's a pretty broad assumption don't you think. I, for one, have hunted many birds and they have all been free roaming. Way to throw everyone under the bus based on the action of a few...
    Well if you don't hunt like that you aren't under the bus and you shouldn't be offended. You should agree, that isn't hunting at all.
    I do mostly agree, although I can understand how "hunts" like that could be useful if someone is trying to train their birddog. Usually those types of hunts are paid for by "city boys" that have no other options. I always laughed at the ones that bragged about "limiting out" on released birds, but as long as they're being legal about it and it keeps them from poaching on my land I'm all for it! On another positive point for hunting; this year I bagged four deer. Butchered two for myself and donated the other two to feed the less fortunate. Total costs: hunting license-$35. Processing fees for the ones that I kept- $0 (got my own setup). The two that I donated-$60 processing fees/deer. So for roughly $150 I have enough meat to last about a year and have fed numorous others! That's what hunting is all about for me and the mentality shared by most other true hunters. On top of that, you gain some humbleness, solidarity to reflect on life and other things while surrounded by nature, and a high amount of respect for the food that is on the table. I give little regard to "anti-hunters" and usually just label them as uneducated and pitiful.
    I grew up hunting. I don't do it anymore, but don't begrudge any hunter for doing it provided they are hunting for the right reasons.

You can get a high from nature by hiking and taking photos. You don't need to go kill something to achieve those objectives. That rationale you offered is weak.

Your last statement is judgemental. Let me be judgemental: I think you enjoy killing things more than you enjoy charity work. I think you enjoy snuffing the life of a living creature with your gun and donating your extra kills doesn't change that fact. Be honest... you're not undergoing the hunt for anything other than yourself.
    Oh, I do plenty of that too (hiking and taking photos). Wildlife photography would probably fit into my top 5 list of passions. I am a sociologist/biologist and have the degree to back up that claim. And I am being honest, I hunt for many reasons, but "snuffing the life out of a living creature with a gun" is not one of those. In fact, I have saved the lives of a handful of deer that were either stuck in a fence or antler locked. I try to be as self-sufficient as possible and garden and can food, etc. I see reliance as weakness. You seem like exactly the type of person that I see as uneducated and pitiful. Now go trim your "man" bun.
    Edit: I do fish purely for the enjoyment of fishing...pure relaxing entertainment. Do you consider fishing as a form hunting? If so, I guess I'm guilty there.
    That's either a lie, or you are the only hunter in the world who can honestly say that.

Seriously???

Not to mention 'brush his tooth'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

Hahaha I wanted to go with a toothless joke but I could find any that had any bite to them, brush your tooth is brilliant lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

As for your question... it depends. Do you catch and release? If you are fishing strictly for 'pure relaxing entertainment'... I would assume so. If you are fishing for the food and for 'pure relaxing entertainment'... this would be a form of hunting. I'm not opposed to either.

Where did you get a sociology/biology degree? I've honestly never heard of such a degree. What's kind of weird is those are two fields are not the most compatible subject areas I could think of.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

Hahaha I wanted to go with a toothless joke but I could find any that had any bite to them, brush your tooth is brilliant lol
    haha

I reckon we better git now, hyuk hyuk.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    but Mr. Bloomberg I cant afford 12 former Mossad agents to guard my daughter while she rides her 20 million dollar horsey collection.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

How many hunters are close friends of yours? All of my friends who hunt fit PJPOWER's assessment. A lot of good comes from hunting. Personally, I would rather see a deer killed humanely and used for food than see them splattered all over the highway. In Michigan, there was always the concern of Chronic Wasting Disease. Hunters help to control the spread of that.

I thought this thread was about America's Gun Violence. The personal jabs, general disparaging of whole groups of people based on the actions of a few and the douchebaggery are getting old.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

How many hunters are close friends of yours? All of my friends who hunt fit PJPOWER's assessment. A lot of good comes from hunting. Personally, I would rather see a deer killed humanely and used for food than see them splattered all over the highway. In Michigan, there was always the concern of Chronic Wasting Disease. Hunters help to control the spread of that.

I thought this thread was about America's Gun Violence. The personal jabs, general disparaging of whole groups of people based on the actions of a few and the douchebaggery are getting old.
    All of my cousins, including the one who is my best friend.
    Nobody fits PJPOWER's description, that is all just justification. I am not against hunting and I am not denying it has many benefits, I just wish people would quit the phoney-baloney and admit that they hunt because they enjoy hunting. Not because A, B, and C, but because it is a thrilling rush to be on the edge of a kill.

I usually shoot 2 deer a year, often from my deck, but I don't consider myself a hunter. I don't do it for sport, I do it for the harvest. My cousin processes them for me and I have wholesome food and keep my ecosystem in balance. I don't enjoy it, it makes me sick to my stomach...when you look down the sights your heart races, when the deer drops my heart just about drops.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

Nobody fits PJPOWER's description, that is all just justification. I am not against hunting and I am not denying it has many benefits, I just wish people would quit the phoney-baloney and admit that they hunt because they enjoy hunting. Not because A, B, and C, but because it is a thrilling rush to be on the edge of a kill.

I usually shoot 2 deer a year, often from my deck, but I don't consider myself a hunter. I don't do it for sport, I do it for the harvest. My cousin processes them for me and I have wholesome food and keep my ecosystem in balance. I don't enjoy it, it makes me sick to my stomach...when you look down the sights your heart races, when the deer drops my heart just about drops.
    The thrill of the kill thing left a long time ago. Here's how it usually goes down. I park my truck, walk about 3 miles in the dark, sit next to a bush where I have scouted previously and found a trail, wait patiently for one to get within range and take my shot. I do enjoy the solitude and peacefulness and usually have a camera in my backpack to take pics of foxes/bobcats or whatever else I may come across. I don't have heads on my wall and usually chop the antlers for my dogs to chew on. This whole "every hunter is a psychopath" rhetoric is just not true, no matter what you have seen or been around. You give people shit for actually working to harvest a deer when you shoot them from your front porch...ever heard of fair chase? I'm guessing not. Once again, uneducated and pitiful.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

Debatable for sure: the notion that hunters do so less for the 'thrill of the kill' and more for pragmatic purposes. Some certainly are practical, but I would speculate most enjoy the idea of killing something. Look at the pictures splashed all over their facebook pages would attest to this ("Hey... look at me and what I killed!" vs. treading respectfully out of the bush with the dead animal).

And I'm not against hunting for food. I encourage it actually. It's way fairer than factory farming and way more humane. But let's call a spade a spade. You can't say you 'only kill what you need' and then proceed to boast of killing additional animals in the interest of providing to needy people.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    edited February 2016
    I don't have a problem with hunting/fishing when the kill is eaten. I eat meat so I can't complain.

I can't imagine actually hunting/fishing. It seems so mindnumbingly boring that I would probably shoot myself. I gave up fishing as a child for that same reason. Just fucking boring.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

The thrill of the kill thing left a long time ago. Here's how it usually goes down. I park my truck, walk about 3 miles in the dark, sit next to a bush where I have scouted previously and found a trail, wait patiently for one to get within range and take my shot. I do enjoy the solitude and peacefulness and usually have a camera in my backpack to take pics of foxes/bobcats or whatever else I may come across. I don't have heads on my wall and usually chop the antlers for my dogs to chew on. This whole "every hunter is a psychopath" rhetoric is just not true, no matter what you have seen or been around. You give people shit for actually working to harvest a deer when you shoot them from your front porch...ever heard of fair chase? I'm guessing not. Once again, uneducated and pitiful.
    I don't give people shit, I just ask for honesty.
    Fair chase? Hahaha maybe if you craft your own bow and arrows.
    Walking a few miles into the woods doesn't make it more ethical, you sit and wait for a deer dumb enough to get close to you just the same as I do.
    Your use of personal insults makes you look weak like the Nuge does when he rants.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

As for your question... it depends. Do you catch and release? If you are fishing strictly for 'pure relaxing entertainment'... I would assume so. If you are fishing for the food and for 'pure relaxing entertainment'... this would be a form of hunting. I'm not opposed to either.

Where did you get a sociology/biology degree? I've honestly never heard of such a degree. What's kind of weird is those are two fields are not the most compatible subject areas I could think of.
    I do like to eat the fish too, but I do not see them as a staple of my diet... And I guess I should have clarified; it's two separate degrees. Masters in Sociology and Bachelors in Biology from Texas A&M. No mullet and zero cavities...no man bun either, lol
  • Options

I don't have a problem with hunting/fishing when the kill is eaten. I eat meat so I can't complain.

I can't imagine actually hunting/fishing. It seems so mindnumbingly boring that I would probably shoot myself. I gave up fishing as a child for that same reason. Just fucking boring.

Meditative...it's healthy
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    edited February 2016
    None of this being posted is on topic.

No link right now..

Few days ago 3-4 y.o. finds loaded ,not on safety, round chambered weapon and kills his 9 yr old sister.

Family member who "stored" this in the nightstand wasnt home. No one else in the house claims knowledge of location.

L.E. says "tragic accident".

My ass. Easily foreseen. NOT an accident. A decent probability is what it is.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Seriously???

It is beyond me how anyone can possibly connect peacefulness to waiting around to murder a defenseless being. That just makes no sense to me at all. I'm not even criticizing that you're hunting. I just can't fathom how anyone can kill things, especially when it's not even out of necessity, and in any way feel good - or not bad - doing it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Good! Now THAT is fucked up and every legit hunter would advocate a severe punishment for those assholes.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pjsoul,

It is actually one of the most natural states of being. Tranquility. Hunting is not the only reason I get out into the woods, just two or so months a year it is.
    There are times I don't come back with a deer and am glad, lol. I still succeeded in getting away from the superficial world and get time to reflect. The being out in the wild is what I find tranquility in, not the shooting of the animal. I know that this doesn't make sense to a vegan or vegetarian, but it's just a better, more realistic, more healthy way of going to the Super Market for me. In fact, it sticks it to the kill farms! I think we can all agree that is a good thing! Does it involve stopping a heart? Yes, but it is what gardening is to vegetables, a nessecary and real thing if you eat meat. I choose to eat meat and am realistic about where it came from. In fact, some people believe plants have souls and will not eat them and would look at a vegan as a murderer and starve themselves to avoid it. Crazy? I agree! We're all crazy in our own ways, but I choose to be crazy in the way that puts me in the outdoors more and let's me eat more naturally. And I really REALLY hate standing in lines at the local supermarket :)
    All jokes aside...this is the story of the hunters that I am around, I don't know what kind of "crazy" people some of these dudes have been around, but it's a different kind of crazy than most hunters in Texas that I know...and I know a lot!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    I see stories like that everyday. I guess it just depends on who people are sold to on Facebook as to what they ignore or not.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:
    I see stories like that everyday. I guess it just depends on who people are sold to on Facebook as to what they ignore or not.
    Really, you see those stories everyday? Well please, post them for us.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:
    I am not diligent in logging on to the forum on a daily basis, but I can start posting them when I see them if you would like.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:
    I am not diligent in logging on to the forum on a daily basis, but I can start posting them when I see them if you would like.
    Sure, I look forward to your brand new articles daily, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.