Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Wow, just wow.  This is what happens when we normalize violence and gun ownership under the guise of "its muh freedumb" and "defend muh home."  People think they can just whip out a gun over any fucking disagreement or 1st world problem now.  Imagine if I just fucking pulled a side piece in the Levi's store the other day because they wouldn't honor the posted sale price on a pair of jeans - rather than the sensible response of "that's ok, it's only a couple bucks and I need new jeans."  Or threatened to shoot the sushi delivery guy because they sent tamago instead of unagi like I ordered  - rather than the sensible response of just eating the damn egg & being happy I'm fed. This is not fucking normal behavior to go shoot a maintenance man because your apartment is leaking.  Except, in America, it seems to be growing ever more popular.
    I'm usually empathetic toward the elderly but fuck this asshole.  I hear the terms "responsible gun owner" and "law abiding citizen" thrown around a lot in this conversation regarding weapons of destruction by the pro gun crowd.  Look at this guy.  Lived 93 years without any record whatsoever. Law abiding citizen, check.  Responsible gun owner, check.  As Halifax would say, until he wasn't.  Preach all you want about "good guys with guns" but if we can't even trust a 93 year old, clean-as-a-whistle "good guy," how the fuck are we to trust anyone else?
    Agreed....at some point gun control will happen.  We will get to a point where even the complete gun nuts agree.
    You know every now and then I watch too much news and listen to too many pundits about this and I get worried for a second, then I realize that all it is, is fear mongering and then I'm not worried anymore.
    Not worried about what? Losing your assault rifle?
    Wow, just wow.  This is what happens when we normalize violence and gun ownership under the guise of "its muh freedumb" and "defend muh home."  People think they can just whip out a gun over any fucking disagreement or 1st world problem now.  Imagine if I just fucking pulled a side piece in the Levi's store the other day because they wouldn't honor the posted sale price on a pair of jeans - rather than the sensible response of "that's ok, it's only a couple bucks and I need new jeans."  Or threatened to shoot the sushi delivery guy because they sent tamago instead of unagi like I ordered  - rather than the sensible response of just eating the damn egg & being happy I'm fed. This is not fucking normal behavior to go shoot a maintenance man because your apartment is leaking.  Except, in America, it seems to be growing ever more popular.
    I'm usually empathetic toward the elderly but fuck this asshole.  I hear the terms "responsible gun owner" and "law abiding citizen" thrown around a lot in this conversation regarding weapons of destruction by the pro gun crowd.  Look at this guy.  Lived 93 years without any record whatsoever. Law abiding citizen, check.  Responsible gun owner, check.  As Halifax would say, until he wasn't.  Preach all you want about "good guys with guns" but if we can't even trust a 93 year old, clean-as-a-whistle "good guy," how the fuck are we to trust anyone else?
    Agreed....at some point gun control will happen.  We will get to a point where even the complete gun nuts agree.
    You know every now and then I watch too much news and listen to too many pundits about this and I get worried for a second, then I realize that all it is, is fear mongering and then I'm not worried anymore.
    True definition of an assault rifle is an actual military issued rifle, which no regular citizen is allowed to own, so I am not worried about losing that.
    I do not fear about being shot at when I am out in public.  I don't fall for that type of fear mongering.
    LOL...you're one of those "AR-15s aren't assault rifle" people.  Even thought the guy that invented it says they are.

No offense but I'll listen to him over you
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited January 2020
    Who is fear mongering?
    You don't know huh?

The sensationalism of a shooting?  Then come the memes.

No fear mongering at all.

It's like on the social media platforms now all the youngins are fearful of WW3 happening.  It's not.  Stop it.
    my god I have seen so many WW3 bullshit posts.  how two countries in conflict automatically turns into a global conflict is beyond me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited January 2020
    True definition of an assault rifle is an actual military issued rifle, which no regular citizen is allowed to own, so I am not worried about losing that.
    I do not fear about being shot at when I am out in public.  I don't fall for that type of fear mongering.
    The way people talk in here you would think it is the Wild West in America lol.  People like to concentrate only on the bad, never the good.  
    Typical conversation around here:
    “Concealed carry doesn’t work.”  
    News flash: responsible firearm owner in church kills gunman due to open carry and saves lives.  
    “Yeah but that s a bad example.  “

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Neither did the people in Jersey City, Pensacola, Miramar, New Orleans, Fresno, Santa Clara, Orinda, Odessa, Dayton, El Paso, Gilroy, Virginia Beach, Highlands Ranch, Charlotte, Poway, Aurora, Ascension, or Sebring.  And that's just mass shootings that happened in 2019.  Parkland, Vegas, Thousand Oaks, Pittsburgh, Aberdeen, Annapolis, San Bernadino, DC Navy Yard, the maintenance man mentioned above, hell we even had a lockdown here at work last year - I never feared that until it actually happened to me, etc, etc, etc... etc... etc... ... In the entire decade of the 1990's there were 27 mass shootings in the United States.  In 2019 alone, there were 18.
    But I guess that's all just using shocking language at the expense of accuracy to get the public riled up, right?  That is the definition of sensationalism, no?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    The way people talk in here you would think it is the Wild West in America lol.  People like to concentrate only on the bad, never the good.  
    News flash: responsible firearm owner in church kills gunman due to open carry and saves lives.  

You have trouble with nuance, it seems. 

It wasn’t “a bad example”, it was a pretty poor incident on which to base public policy, given that the harms associated with “good guys with guns” outweighs the benefits by any measure one wants to look at. But I understand that some people have trouble with evidence when it goes against how they like to spend their time. 

Also, much of the “Wild West” actually had stricter gun laws than the present day. Pretty much none of the settled towns allowed open or concealed carry for either citizens or visitors in the towns. Shootings in towns were rare. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It wasn’t “a bad example”, it was a pretty poor incident on which to base public policy, given that the harms associated with “good guys with guns” outweighs the benefits by any measure one wants to look at. But I understand that some people have trouble with evidence when it goes against how they like to spend their time. 

Also, much of the “Wild West” actually had stricter gun laws than the present day. Pretty much none of the settled towns allowed open or concealed carry for either citizens or visitors in the towns. Shootings in towns were rare. 
    No trouble here with nuance.  
    I'm still a fan of good guy with a gun because it does in fact work.  When my next nra magazine comes in the mail I'll be sure to take a photo of the page that focuses on law abiding citizens using firearms to defend themselves against criminals.  

I already knew that history lesson; here' s a great article just in case you want to dive deeper into the subject:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gun-control-old-west-180968013/

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm still a fan of good guy with a gun because it does in fact work.  When my next nra magazine comes in the mail I'll be sure to take a photo of the page that focuses on law abiding citizens using firearms to defend themselves against criminals.  

I already knew that history lesson; here' s a great article just in case you want to dive deeper into the subject:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gun-control-old-west-180968013/

if you knew that (full disclosure: I did not) why did you use it as a way to describe your opinion on america's paranoia over the situation?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

if you knew that (full disclosure: I did not) why did you use it as a way to describe your opinion on america's paranoia over the situation?
    When I used it I wasn’t referencing it to the gun laws of the late 1800s.  People often refer to our current situation as “the Wild West.”  I was using their (gun control activists) words.  

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mcgruff10 said:

Now imagine if, in the setting of that newsflash, neither one of them had a gun. The event never occurs. :i_dunno: 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,855
    no, its not just responsible gun owner, its former military, current reserve deputy, current firearms instructor employs extensive training and judgement as volunteer security.........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    no, its not just responsible gun owner, its former military, current reserve deputy, current firearms instructor employs extensive training and judgement as volunteer security.........
    So if everyone that owns one gets training we can keep them and everyone leaves us alone?
  • Options
    LOL...you're one of those "AR-15s aren't assault rifle" people.  Even thought the guy that invented it says they are.

No offense but I'll listen to him over you
    You're one of those people that doesn't like definitions apparently.

I never knew Eugene Stoner said that?  I know he said the rifle he designed was made to kill.  I'll have to look that up.

I call them "sporting rifles" .  Call them whatever you want, call them automatics.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    So if everyone that owns one gets training we can keep them and everyone leaves us alone?
    I'm up for some training!  Let's do this.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

When I used it I wasn’t referencing it to the gun laws of the late 1800s.  People often refer to our current situation as “the Wild West.”  I was using their (gun control activists) words.  

But it’s you using those words here, not anybody else, so maybe use accurate terms. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I'd go back again too.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

There is more than ample evidence of the overall negative impact of having guns on safety of the gun owner and those in the family and the household. The injuries and deaths far outweigh any putative “protection” benefits. And it’s laughable that you would put faith in the NRA’s marketing over the science on this. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    not JUST that , but its pretty fucking important and solidly in line with 2A as written with common understanding of word usage of the time it was written. maybe some tactical style training as well.

and leave you alone? no. continuing education and proficiency testing on an annual or biannual basis.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     around a lot in this conversation regarding weapons of destruction by the pro gun crowd.  Look at this guy.  Lived 93 years without any record whatsoever. Law abiding citizen, check.  Responsible gun owner, check.  As Halifax would say, until he wasn't.  Preach all you want about "good guys with guns" but if we can't even trust a 93 year old, clean-as-a-whistle "good guy," how the fuck are we to trust anyone else?

But it’s you using those words here, not anybody else, so maybe use accurate terms. 

Lots of Guns, Little Crime  https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/03/08/gun-ownership-not-gun-control-succeeded-wild-west/

Mass violence, like what took place at the O.K. Corral, was actually infrequent. Moreover, the Old West reputation for lawlessness is unwarranted, despite, at times, an elevated number of homicides.

Crime such as rape and robberies occurred at a much lower rate than in modern America—certainly lower than in the 1970s and 1980s, when the nation was wracked by a surge in criminality.

It is also worth noting that crime and gun violence has fallen steeply since the 1990s, even as gun ownership has increased dramatically.

The crimes that did take place in the West were often violent confrontations between young men who were drunk or who got in a personal confrontation; it goes without saying that societies of mostly young men tend to be a little more violent than others. Hence the restrictions on gun usage that took place in some frontier communities.

For instance, historian Robert McGrath, who wrote a book about crime in the most notorious Old West towns, found that “robbery, theft, and burglary occurred infrequently,” and that “bank robbery, rape, racial violence, and serious juvenile crime seem not to have occurred at all.”

“While the homicide rate was high,” McGrath wrote, “the killings were almost always the result of fights between willing combatants.”

The few gun control-type laws that existed were poorly and inconsistently enforced, McGrath said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune.

Additionally, McGrath concluded that it was widespread gun ownership that deterred criminality in these areas in which law enforcement had little authority or ability to handle crime.

It was an old-fashioned illustration of John R. Lott’s “More Guns, Less Crime” thesis.

McGrath wrote that an “obvious factor” in discouraging burglary in the California frontier town of Bodie “was the armed homeowner or armed merchant.”

“No fewer [than] a half-dozen burglaries in Bodie were thwarted by the presence of armed citizens,” he wrote.

An even more dramatic instance of widespread gun ownership thwarting crime took place in Minnesota in 1876.

The Jesse James gang attempted to rob a bank in Northfield, but as the robbery was taking place, one merchant shouted, “Get your guns, boys—they’re robbing the bank!”

Armed citizens swarmed the crooks to protect their community and local business. They wore no uniforms and had no official mandate to step into the line of fire. But they acted bravely and unhesitantly in a time of crisis against highly organized criminals—a sharp contrast to what took place during the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, in which armed, trained members of law enforcement didn’t rush in to stop the shooter.

Northfield’s armed citizens killed a couple of the bank robbers and wounded many more. This effort by the good guys with guns helped put an end to the James gang and its string of crimes.

It is among many, many examples of how gun rights were not just valuable, but essential to public safety in the Old West.

now back to the conversation...it's not laughable that I will be referencing the nra, they actually link monthly stories that show law abiding citizens using their firearms to defend their family, property, etc.  I know you are very anti-gun and I won't change your mind (nor do I care to) but weapons are used against criminals on a daily basis.  They are a great tool to have when used responsibility.  Examples include shooting at the range, plinking in your backyard, and hunting.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I'd go back again too.  
    What do you consider adequate training and how frequently for recertification? I'm thinking every 3 years after at least an initial 40 hour in class course that covers safety, laws, storage, history, nomenclature, etc. and at least another 40 at the range with hands on training and a proficiency test for both sections. Refresher course every 3 years would require an 8 hour course broken in to 2 (4) hour segments for in class and hands on. This of course would be in tandem with a gun registry process.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I'd go back again too.  
    What do you consider adequate training and how frequently for recertification? I'm thinking every 3 years after at least an initial 40 hour in class course that covers safety, laws, storage, history, nomenclature, etc. and at least another 40 at the range with hands on training and a proficiency test for both sections. Refresher course every 3 years would require an 8 hour course broken in to 2 (4) hour segments for in class and hands on. This of course would be in tandem with a gun registry process.
    40 hours is a hell of a lot of time.  I'd be good with safety, laws, storage and usage (which could be taught in 2 -3 hours) then hands on training for 2 hours a day over the course of 4 or 5 days.  
    Why do you need a refresher course every 3 years?  Maybe 10 years but 3 years seems like such a short amount of time.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    HughFreakingDillon said:e we to trust anyone else?
    Wow, just wow.  This is what happens when we normalize violence and gun ownership under the guise of "its muh freedumb" and "defend muh home."  People think they can just whip out a gun over any fucking disagreement or 1st world problem now.  Imagine if I just fucking pulled a side piece in the Levi's store the other day because they wouldn't honor the posted sale price on a pair of jeans - rather than the sensible response of "that's ok, it's only a couple bucks and I need new jeans."  Or threatened to shoot the sushi delivery guy because they sent 

To add, "the wild west" is a common term used by both sides of the gun argument.  You knew exactly how I was using it, no need to point out the gun laws from the late 1800's.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    not JUST that , but its pretty fucking important and solidly in line with 2A as written with common understanding of word usage of the time it was written. maybe some tactical style training as well.

and leave you alone? no. continuing education and proficiency testing on an annual or biannual basis.
    THEN will you leave us alone?
  • Options
    Yea, no wild Wild West here. ‘Murica.
    It’s a fun archive. Particularly for sleeping one year olds, folks stepping outside to look at fireworks and maintenance men reporting to the office, among others. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have no problem with continuing education or annual/biannual proficiency training depending on what it entails.  Do you mean qualifying?
  • Options
    It’s a fun archive. Particularly for sleeping one year olds, folks stepping outside to look at fireworks and maintenance men reporting to the office, among others. 

How is it gun violence when there are no injured or killed?  Like do they report every incident where a shot is fired?  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

How is it gun violence when there are no injured or killed?  Like do they report every incident where a shot is fired?  
    They explain their methodology and link to their sources, usually local press reports with quotes from local officials. So random shootings without “victims” isn’t “gun violence?” How would you define it? “Responsible?” You’d be okay with your neighbors randomly squeezing off a few, as long as there’s no killed or injured?

Do us a favor and start a thread of “Good Guys With Guns” and link to that fine NRA reporting so we too can feel safe knowing that everyday someone is saved by a “responsible” gun owner.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have no problem with continuing education or annual/biannual proficiency training depending on what it entails.  Do you mean qualifying?
    me? not if your initial testing shows proficiency. then just show continued proficiency. do you guys feel thats unreasonable?

imo the states can and should demand it under the well regulated wording. Which to my research suggests it meant well ordered i.e. trained.

you know initially we werent supposed to have a standing army. I believe the initial ineffectiveness during 1812 showed how unregulated the militias actually were.  so we now have a standing army. AND Well Regulated National Guard(militia) from each state.......

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

me? not if your initial testing shows proficiency. then just show continued proficiency. do you guys feel thats unreasonable?

imo the states can and should demand it under the well regulated wording. Which to my research suggests it meant well ordered i.e. trained.

you know initially we werent supposed to have a standing army. I believe the initial ineffectiveness during 1812 showed how unregulated the militias actually were.  so we now have a standing army. AND Well Regulated National Guard(militia) from each state.......
    I don't feel like that is unreasonable at all.  I would have no problem with annual/semi-annual proficiency test.

Mickey do many truck drivers (like what you do for a living) carry while on the road?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

They explain their methodology and link to their sources, usually local press reports with quotes from local officials. So random shootings without “victims” isn’t “gun violence?” How would you define it? “Responsible?” You’d be okay with your neighbors randomly squeezing off a few, as long as there’s no killed or injured?

Do us a favor and start a thread of “Good Guys With Guns” and link to that fine NRA reporting so we too can feel safe knowing that everyday someone is saved by a “responsible” gun owner.
    I will check up on their methodology, it was an honest question.

Why do you paint this doomsday picture of gun owners?  Millions up millions of people hunted this past season and last time I checked, no mass shootings or human slaughter in the field.  However accidents will happen like in any other hobby.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don't feel like that is unreasonable at all.  I would have no problem with annual/semi-annual proficiency test.

Mickey do many truck drivers (like what you do for a living) carry while on the road?
    illegal in a truck. vast majority are company drivers or leased onto a carrier, which makes them subject to company inspections and subject to firing.

true owner ops though? really hard to say. they wont advertise it thats for sure.....

This discussion has been closed.