Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I could own surface to air missiles and be very responsible with them.  That doesn't mean squat.

Society as a whole benefits from assault weapons bans.  The data supports that.
    I disagree, assault weapons are scary looking but are hardly used in any crimes.  Handguns are what need to be heavily regulated but sadly will never be.  
    Hardly used except for shooting up schools....but yes I agree about regulation.

A gun should be licensed and registered just like an automobile or a fucking snowmobile.  No second hand sales.....ever
    High capacity mags are used only for shooting up schools?

man you are rich.  This is why we can't have a decent discussion on gun reform because of asinine statements like this.  When I hear someone say something to this manner I get tuned out and go back to my "nothing should change" stance.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mcgruff10 said:
    I could own surface to air missiles and be very responsible with them.  That doesn't mean squat.

Society as a whole benefits from assault weapons bans.  The data supports that.
    I disagree, assault weapons are scary looking but are hardly used in any crimes.  Handguns are what need to be heavily regulated but sadly will never be.  
    Hardly used except for shooting up schools....but yes I agree about regulation.

A gun should be licensed and registered just like an automobile or a fucking snowmobile.  No second hand sales.....ever
    High capacity mags are used only for shooting up schools?

man you are rich.  This is why we can't have a decent discussion on gun reform because of asinine statements like this.  When I hear someone say something to this manner I get tuned out and go back to my "nothing should change" stance.
    What is asinine is your refusal to call an assault weapon an assault weapon.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.
    Here is the thing though, you can't just own ANY weapon of your choosing.

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
    But in the black market you can buy any weapons you desire no am I wrong? Let me ask you? With the weapon you own if you wanted too how many kills could you make? This is a hypothetical folks I know Chris and I’m sure he’s very responsible ...let me put it this was how many standing targets can you hit ..
    If I do it with a handgun, hit all the targets, does that change your mind?  I was trained with a sidearm and shotgun and not a rifle.

It’s not about changing my mind , I’ll be 60 this year I’ve made it this far without ever holding a gun let alone shoot one ..
    Can I ask again in the black market can you get any weapon you want I’m talking guns , rifles , etc etc ? 
    Gun shows are the black market.  It's unbelievable what people can purchase at those.  Some states probably have harsher restrictions but I know Indiana doesn't.  

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    mcgruff10 said:
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
    But in the black market you can buy any weapons you desire no am I wrong? Let me ask you? With the weapon you own if you wanted too how many kills could you make? This is a hypothetical folks I know Chris and I’m sure he’s very responsible ...let me put it this was how many standing targets can you hit ..
    If I do it with a handgun, hit all the targets, does that change your mind?  I was trained with a sidearm and shotgun and not a rifle.

It’s not about changing my mind , I’ll be 60 this year I’ve made it this far without ever holding a gun let alone shoot one ..
    Can I ask again in the black market can you get any weapon you want I’m talking guns , rifles , etc etc ? 
    I knew of only one person in my life that smuggled guns and they never were able to get full auto weapons.

If you want to talk black market though I am sure you can get anything you wanted but I see zero point in owning something illegal.  I'm also not a hardened criminal that is looking for a gun.
    Ok thanks and I know you are not a criminal! 

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Maybe go to the dark web and you can find the answer to  your question.  ;)
    However I'm sure you can get whatever you want on the black market if you want it bad enough and have the cash for it.
    That’s a big problem we have in this country I wish that issue could be worked on more by our government...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was at a flea market in Vermont over the summer. Those hicks are still selling all kinds of guns like crazy off of card tables. I'll take that trivet, some of the old Pyrex, the tape recorder. Oh, and how much for uzi?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Gun shows are the black market.  It's unbelievable what people can purchase at those.  Some states probably have harsher restrictions but I know Indiana doesn't.  
    Yeah that’s a big problem those gun shows should be better monitored or curved as to what they should be selling..
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mcgruff10 said:

anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
    so it's not illegal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yea, no wild Wild West here. ‘Murica.
    It’s a fun archive. Particularly for sleeping one year olds, folks stepping outside to look at fireworks and maintenance men reporting to the office, among others. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours
    How is it gun violence when there are no injured or killed?  Like do they report every incident where a shot is fired?  
    They explain their methodology and link to their sources, usually local press reports with quotes from local officials. So random shootings without “victims” isn’t “gun violence?” How would you define it? “Responsible?” You’d be okay with your neighbors randomly squeezing off a few, as long as there’s no killed or injured?

Do us a favor and start a thread of “Good Guys With Guns” and link to that fine NRA reporting so we too can feel safe knowing that everyday someone is saved by a “responsible” gun owner.
    I will check up on their methodology, it was an honest question.

Why do you paint this doomsday picture of gun owners?  Millions up millions of people hunted this past season and last time I checked, no mass shootings or human slaughter in the field.  However accidents will happen like in any other hobby.  
    Because it never ends and those “responsible” gun owners, until they’re not, are rarely held accountable. The woman killed stepping outside to view fireworks? The “responsible” gun owner will likely never be tried let alone convicted and they’re still out there walking around armed. The 9 year old and her dad out hunting? Those responsible will likely not be charged or held accountable because it was an “accident” and a “tragedy” and they “suffered enough.” Fuck that, they should be in prison for gross negligence, death resulting and prevented from ever owning fire arms again. That sleeping 1 year old? Dead from going to bed because of a “responsible” gun owner. Start throwing these dipshits in prison and arresting and convicting those “responsible” gun owners for the carnage and maybe, over time, “responsible” gun owners will realize, hey, I’ve got to be “responsible” with my boom stick.

Regarding the “Wild West” article and cut/paste  you posted, how can the author be sure guns prevented rapes and robberies? Crime stats weren’t taken then and I’d bet most rapes were rarely, if ever reported, and if they were, they weren’t compiled and reported on. He cites two historic examples over a large date range and wants us to believe his conclusion. I’d like to see the sources on his claims. In addition, the gun control laws and actions of law enforcement have been bastardized by that organization you support, with your dues as a matter of “convenience” to the point where everyone thinks of 2A as necessary because of our “Wild West” history. How do you reconcile that?

”Responsible” gun owners need to be the voice of reason and press law makers for stringent national policies as it relates to gun ownership. Supporting the NRA doesn’t help. Maybe in a generation or two, the carnage will drop significantly. The “anti-gun crowd clearly isn’t getting anywhere.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    mcgruff10 said:

anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
    so it's not illegal. 
    No one is going to spend thousands of dollars and go through all those background checks just to use that gun in a crime.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 
    No one is going to spend thousands of dollars and go through all those background checks just to use that gun in a crime.  
    so how are these guns getting in the hands of mass shooters? many of them teens/young adults? honest question. because if they are so hard to obtain, something is going wrong. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 
    so how are these guns getting in the hands of mass shooters? many of them teens/young adults? honest question. because if they are so hard to obtain, something is going wrong. 
    Bud no one is using "machine guns" in these shootings, they are using semi-automatic weapons.  "machine guns" are fully automatic, you keep your finger on the trigger and bullets fly out until the mag is empty.  Meaning if I have a 30 round mag (30 bullets) and I keep my finger on the trigger, all 30 bullets will fire unless there is a jam, etc.
    A semi-automatic is every time you pull a trigger a bullet is fired.  So in order to empty a 30 round mag you have to pull the trigger 30 times.

Fully automatic is not as accurate as semi-automatic however virtually no one possesses fully automatic weapons.  

So I have a semi-automatic shotgun that holds five rounds, every time I pull the trigger one shell is fired.  You can have semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns.  One pull, one bullet.  Got it my man?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 
    For you and me, yes.  If you go through background checks and pay the money then no.
  • Options
    154 rounds in 5 minutes. Into first and second graders. One round every two seconds, on average. 10 magazines holding 30 rounds each. Acceptable? Modifications can make it quicker, correct?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-idUSBRE92R0EM20130328
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Anyone selling at those is supposed to be upholding the law.  If you are doing something illegal then you should have the book thrown at you.

I personally like person to person sales.
  • Options
    OK so I read a ton on Eugene Stoner over the years and never herd him say that and I was right, his family didn't either.  That's fine.

Did you read the article?
  • Options
    154 rounds in 5 minutes. Into first and second graders. One round every two seconds, on average. 10 magazines holding 30 rounds each. Acceptable? Modifications can make it quicker, correct?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-idUSBRE92R0EM20130328
    You can  do this with a handgun.
  • Options

This is very true. 
  • Options

Acceptable?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OK so I read a ton on Eugene Stoner over the years and never herd him say that and I was right, his family didn't either.  That's fine.

“Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,” the Stoner family told NBC News. “He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events.”

yeah....I read it....did you?  Right there in front of you

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

But do they? Seriously, do the people who engage in mass shootings tend to use handguns for them? No. There’s a reason why they like theses guns that isn’t being captured in your reductionist argument. Limiting access does limit these shootings. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Acceptable?
    Well you make an argument about one thing then seeing that the weapon you want to constrict really isn't the only one that can do it so then you'll go after the next one.

This is why people don't want new restrictions because it will never stop.  You won't be happy with one thing and will keep piling up new restrictions.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 
    Bud no one is using "machine guns" in these shootings, they are using semi-automatic weapons.  "machine guns" are fully automatic, you keep your finger on the trigger and bullets fly out until the mag is empty.  Meaning if I have a 30 round mag (30 bullets) and I keep my finger on the trigger, all 30 bullets will fire unless there is a jam, etc.
    A semi-automatic is every time you pull a trigger a bullet is fired.  So in order to empty a 30 round mag you have to pull the trigger 30 times.

Fully automatic is not as accurate as semi-automatic however virtually no one possesses fully automatic weapons.  

So I have a semi-automatic shotgun that holds five rounds, every time I pull the trigger one shell is fired.  You can have semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns.  One pull, one bullet.  Got it my man?
    The Vegas shooter used a bump stock.  I suppose you would argue that fully automatic is less accurate so victims have a better chance of avoiding a kill shot?

• Options

Acceptable?
    Well you make an argument about one thing then seeing that the weapon you want to constrict really isn't the only one that can do it so then you'll go after the next one.

This is why people don't want new restrictions because it will never stop.  You won't be happy with one thing and will keep piling up new restrictions.
    Thanks for pretending to know what I’m getting at. All I asked was if it was acceptable to you.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

“Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,” the Stoner family told NBC News. “He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events.”

Oh yeah I see exactly where it says Assault rifle...  This was the argument.
  • Options

Acceptable?

So here is the far right argument....we can't do anything because it is a slippery slope

Ridiculous.  And use common sense to project that argument into the future.  That is where we enter the wild west scenario....where we all have guns pointed at each other because no one knows who is good and who is bad.  And imagine how the police would have to address a situation like that....holy christ think for a second.

• Options

Acceptable?

So here is the far right argument....we can't do anything because it is a slippery slope

Ridiculous.  And use common sense to project that argument into the future.  That is where we enter the wild west scenario....where we all have guns pointed at each other because no one knows who is good and who is bad.  And imagine how the police would have to address a situation like that....holy christ think for a second.
    Cops are good guys to you now?
  • Options

Oh yeah I see exactly where it says Assault rifle...  This was the argument.
    IS the AK-47 an assault rifle?  They clearly refer to the AR-15 being an ADVANTAGE over the AK-47.  How many pieces of this puzzle do you need?  You are like the guy on Wheel of Fortune that gives an incorrect answer when the entire puzzle is spelled out.

• Options

Acceptable?

Thanks for pretending to know what I’m getting at. All I asked was if it was acceptable to you.
    This is why you won't be happy too.  You will just go on to the next thing asking if that's acceptable but then what about this?

If I am wrong then tell me what your angle was?
This discussion has been closed.