Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    154 rounds in 5 minutes. Into first and second graders. One round every two seconds, on average. 10 magazines holding 30 rounds each. Acceptable? Modifications can make it quicker, correct?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-idUSBRE92R0EM20130328
    You can  do this with a handgun.
    Acceptable?
    Well you make an argument about one thing then seeing that the weapon you want to constrict really isn't the only one that can do it so then you'll go after the next one.

This is why people don't want new restrictions because it will never stop.  You won't be happy with one thing and will keep piling up new restrictions.
    So here is the far right argument....we can't do anything because it is a slippery slope

Ridiculous.  And use common sense to project that argument into the future.  That is where we enter the wild west scenario....where we all have guns pointed at each other because no one knows who is good and who is bad.  And imagine how the police would have to address a situation like that....holy christ think for a second.
    Cops are good guys to you now?
    What do you mean now?  No one can blame a copy for taking out a "good guy with a gun" if the cops pull up to a scene of an active shooter.  That's been my point in this thread many times.  We will be unable to tell who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.
    Here is the thing though, you can't just own ANY weapon of your choosing.

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
    anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
    so it's not illegal. 
    No one is going to spend thousands of dollars and go through all those background checks just to use that gun in a crime.  
    so how are these guns getting in the hands of mass shooters? many of them teens/young adults? honest question. because if they are so hard to obtain, something is going wrong. 
    Bud no one is using "machine guns" in these shootings, they are using semi-automatic weapons.  "machine guns" are fully automatic, you keep your finger on the trigger and bullets fly out until the mag is empty.  Meaning if I have a 30 round mag (30 bullets) and I keep my finger on the trigger, all 30 bullets will fire unless there is a jam, etc.
    A semi-automatic is every time you pull a trigger a bullet is fired.  So in order to empty a 30 round mag you have to pull the trigger 30 times.

Fully automatic is not as accurate as semi-automatic however virtually no one possesses fully automatic weapons.  

So I have a semi-automatic shotgun that holds five rounds, every time I pull the trigger one shell is fired.  You can have semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns.  One pull, one bullet.  Got it my man?
    The Vegas shooter used a bump stock.  I suppose you would argue that fully automatic is less accurate so victims have a better chance of avoiding a kill shot?
    Bump stocks are now illegal.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    no, its not just responsible gun owner, its former military, current reserve deputy, current firearms instructor employs extensive training and judgement as volunteer security.........
    So if everyone that owns one gets training we can keep them and everyone leaves us alone?
    I'm up for some training!  Let's do this.
    I'd go back again too.  
    What do you consider adequate training and how frequently for recertification? I'm thinking every 3 years after at least an initial 40 hour in class course that covers safety, laws, storage, history, nomenclature, etc. and at least another 40 at the range with hands on training and a proficiency test for both sections. Refresher course every 3 years would require an 8 hour course broken in to 2 (4) hour segments for in class and hands on. This of course would be in tandem with a gun registry process.
    Nope, it's not OSHA and shouldn't be treated as such. 

I'd love to do more training but that would only pacify people for so long. 
    Yeah, because it makes complete sense that I sit through an annual training about possible exposure to bloodborne pathogens so I know what to do and the risks involved, but anybody can go out and buy a gun with absolutely no knowledge about it and the dangers it poses to me and everyone else if not properly stored, handled or used.

So, what's your interpretation of adequate training and ownership requirements?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
    anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
    so it's not illegal. 
    No one is going to spend thousands of dollars and go through all those background checks just to use that gun in a crime.  
    so how are these guns getting in the hands of mass shooters? many of them teens/young adults? honest question. because if they are so hard to obtain, something is going wrong. 
    Bud no one is using "machine guns" in these shootings, they are using semi-automatic weapons.  "machine guns" are fully automatic, you keep your finger on the trigger and bullets fly out until the mag is empty.  Meaning if I have a 30 round mag (30 bullets) and I keep my finger on the trigger, all 30 bullets will fire unless there is a jam, etc.
    A semi-automatic is every time you pull a trigger a bullet is fired.  So in order to empty a 30 round mag you have to pull the trigger 30 times.

Fully automatic is not as accurate as semi-automatic however virtually no one possesses fully automatic weapons.  

So I have a semi-automatic shotgun that holds five rounds, every time I pull the trigger one shell is fired.  You can have semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns.  One pull, one bullet.  Got it my man?
    yes. and I still think those should be illegal. no one, and I mean no one, needs to be able to fire off 30 rounds without reloading. hand guns with 6 is plenty. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 

The Vegas shooter used a bump stock.  I suppose you would argue that fully automatic is less accurate so victims have a better chance of avoiding a kill shot?
    So is shooting an assault rifle into a crowd

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 

Really? 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 

Really? 
    yeah really....isn't one of your arguments that making things illegal doesn't matter?  that criminals will still use them?

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so it's not illegal. 

Really? 
    yeah really....isn't one of your arguments that making things illegal doesn't matter?  that criminals will still use them?
    I was being very sarcastic.  I obviously know shooting into a crowd is illegal.  

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited January 2020
    I admit being very conflicted on guns and gun control. I don't like guns.  I wish the world did not have them.  But that isn't ever going to be the case.

We have states with strict rules, lax rules, etc. and data used from those to back both sides.  We have anecdotes that can be used to back any argument.  

The one thing that is staring us in the face (and for which we don't know the "why?") is that the problem is uniquely American.  Some countries that don't have a lot of guns don't have our level of gun violence.  Some countries where people have a lot of guns (Australia? I'm not sure) still don't have gun violence.

Why here?  Why is the United States different? Just like there are places that can handle their alcohol better, there seem to be places that can handle their guns better.  My fear is it's the "gun culture" (I posted a story about a nurse killed by New Year's Eve celebratory gun fire...that's a messed-up part of the culture and any reasonable person should think so); a culture that's as ensconced in the fabric of America as television, fast food, and cell phones.  Something that can not, an any way, be legislated away.

Do people in other places see guns as more utilitarian while Americans see them as "toys" or "companions?"  Are we more paranoid?  Is our society in fact more dangerous (or perceived as such), making our trigger-fingers more sensitive?

It leads me to the idea that conflicts with my historic philosophy: "guns are not the problem." However, "America is the problem." American exceptionalism; not always a good thing...
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    In all the training talk a couple pages back, did anyone mention a mental/physical health exam?  It's not just about being properly trained and refresher courses on the use, care, and storage of guns.  Some people just don't have the mental or physical capacity to own or handle a weapon.  Let's start there before we go signing everyone up for shootin' classes.
  • Options
    In all the training talk a couple pages back, did anyone mention a mental/physical health exam?  It's not just about being properly trained and refresher courses on the use, care, and storage of guns.  Some people just don't have the mental or physical capacity to own or handle a weapon.  Let's start there before we go signing everyone up for shootin' classes.
    unfortunately 2A mentions nothing about being "unfit".  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I mentioned this a while ago and here I think would be the problem.

You go in to be evaluated and the appointed doctor has an issue with something, though you've never been diagnosed with anything before in a mental aspect.  You get branded, labeled, whatever, and now you are stuck with a scarlet letter.

That is why I see it would be bad.

I on the other hand would not have a problem with this but it needs to be very well thought out before put in place.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I admit being very conflicted on guns and gun control. I don't like guns.  I wish the world did not have them.  But that isn't ever going to be the case.

We have states with strict rules, lax rules, etc. and data used from those to back both sides.  We have anecdotes that can be used to back any argument.  

The one thing that is staring us in the face (and for which we don't know the "why?") is that the problem is uniquely American.  Some countries that don't have a lot of guns don't have our level of gun violence.  Some countries where people have a lot of guns (Australia? I'm not sure) still don't have gun violence.

Why here?  Why is the United States different? Just like there are places that can handle their alcohol better, there seem to be places that can handle their guns better.  My fear is it's the "gun culture" (I posted a story about a nurse killed by New Year's Eve celebratory gun fire...that's a messed-up part of the culture and any reasonable person should think so); a culture that's as ensconced in the fabric of America as television, fast food, and cell phones.  Something that can not, an any way, be legislated away.

Do people in other places see guns as more utilitarian while Americans see them as "toys" or "companions?"  Are we more paranoid?  Is our society in fact more dangerous (or perceived as such), making our trigger-fingers more sensitive?

It leads me to the idea that conflicts with my historic philosophy: "guns are not the problem." However, "America is the problem." American exceptionalism; not always a good thing...
    It's been brought up before that the most dangerous thing in the world is a white american male.

I personally brought up the same questions you did.  Why here?  Why us?  What is going on in our society that these things happen?

The federal government gave funding out for people to try and figure this out so we can wait and see what the study brings.
  • Options
    I mentioned this a while ago and here I think would be the problem.

You go in to be evaluated and the appointed doctor has an issue with something, though you've never been diagnosed with anything before in a mental aspect.  You get branded, labeled, whatever, and now you are stuck with a scarlet letter.

That is why I see it would be bad.

I on the other hand would not have a problem with this but it needs to be very well thought out before put in place.
    Absolutely agreed.
  • Options
    This is true.  But also true is that 2A is totally antiquated and needs a hard revision.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

It's been brought up before that the most dangerous thing in the world is a white american male.

I personally brought up the same questions you did.  Why here?  Why us?  What is going on in our society that these things happen?

The federal government gave funding out for people to try and figure this out so we can wait and see what the study brings.
    I have brought up the question numerous times: what exactly has changed?  In the 1950's/60's you could walk into a hardware with no back ground check and literally buy a surplus weapon that was fully automatic.  My uncle bought a god damn bazooka from ww2!  However no mass shootings, none of that.  Kids brought shotguns to school just to go deer hunting after school or take shooting classes.  So what in society has changed that led us to the problem we have today?
  • Options
    This is true.  But also true is that 2A is totally antiquated and needs a hard revision.
    never going to happen, as much as I agree with you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    never going to happen, as much as I agree with you. 
    Not with that attitude it's not!  (j/k, I know what you mean. And it's rather unfortunate.)

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I have brought up the question numerous times: what exactly has changed?  In the 1950's/60's you could walk into a hardware with no back ground check and literally buy a surplus weapon that was fully automatic.  My uncle bought a god damn bazooka from ww2!  However no mass shootings, none of that.  Kids brought shotguns to school just to go deer hunting after school or take shooting classes.  So what in society has changed that led us to the problem we have today?
    Glorification! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    But 2A has been modified many, many times...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Glorification! 
    Some were mentally unstable, some killed themselves, some were killed.  I don't see how those 3 scenarios equal to glorification?

There was a guy that did a shooting via FB live.  I don't know what kind of glorification that brought him, that is just sick to me...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Glorification! 
    Some were mentally unstable, some killed themselves, some were killed.  I don't see how those 3 scenarios equal to glorification?

There was a guy that did a shooting via FB live.  I don't know what kind of glorification that brought him, that is just sick to me...
    This whole is issue is based on the glorification of guns by Movies, TV on&on ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

culture. mental health. society as a whole. laws need to evolve as society does. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

culture. mental health. society as a whole. laws need to evolve as society does. 
    No way we can consider this evolving...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    cmon really?

The world we are living in.

Well that is just me though, get off my lawn.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    cmon really?

Oh, no mistake about it that the world has evolved, but yet here in America we still want it to be 1776. No change to 2A! Right to bear arms, just not that militia part...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    cmon really?

Oh, no mistake about it that the world has evolved, but yet here in America we still want it to be 1776. No change to 2A! Right to bear arms, just not that militia part...
    Again... They have made numerous changes to 2A.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    cmon really?

Since 1791?

Nope.

There have been different interpretations of it in Supreme Court cases (and lower court cases) and legislation introduced (or not) because of those different interpretations, but the language of the second amendment of the US Constitution has not changed since 1791.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

consider what evolving?
    cmon really?

Since 1791?

Nope.

There have been different interpretations of it in Supreme Court cases (and lower court cases) and legislation introduced (or not) because of those different interpretations, but the language of the second amendment of the US Constitution has not changed since 1791.
    Sorry, let me be more clear.

There have been numerous changes to gun laws over the years.
    2A hasn't changed but you can't own machine guns.  Brady bill.  10 year Weapons ban.  States have done even more along the lines of specific weapons and conceal rights.  This is a few I can think of.  I can google more.

So 2A hasn't been changed but the laws in regards to it have tremendously.
This discussion has been closed.