Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    we all have a hammer, hand sledge, hard rubber mallet or tire thumper that comes in handy if needed. but of course that doesnt stop a bullet.

and there have been drivers killed during robberies. handful a year that come across my radar....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,912
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    no, its not just responsible gun owner, its former military, current reserve deputy, current firearms instructor employs extensive training and judgement as volunteer security.........
    So if everyone that owns one gets training we can keep them and everyone leaves us alone?
    I'm up for some training!  Let's do this.
    I'd go back again too.  
    What do you consider adequate training and how frequently for recertification? I'm thinking every 3 years after at least an initial 40 hour in class course that covers safety, laws, storage, history, nomenclature, etc. and at least another 40 at the range with hands on training and a proficiency test for both sections. Refresher course every 3 years would require an 8 hour course broken in to 2 (4) hour segments for in class and hands on. This of course would be in tandem with a gun registry process.
    Nope, it's not OSHA and shouldn't be treated as such. 

I'd love to do more training but that would only pacify people for so long. 
  • Options
    Wow, just wow.  This is what happens when we normalize violence and gun ownership under the guise of "its muh freedumb" and "defend muh home."  People think they can just whip out a gun over any fucking disagreement or 1st world problem now.  Imagine if I just fucking pulled a side piece in the Levi's store the other day because they wouldn't honor the posted sale price on a pair of jeans - rather than the sensible response of "that's ok, it's only a couple bucks and I need new jeans."  Or threatened to shoot the sushi delivery guy because they sent tamago instead of unagi like I ordered  - rather than the sensible response of just eating the damn egg & being happy I'm fed. This is not fucking normal behavior to go shoot a maintenance man because your apartment is leaking.  Except, in America, it seems to be growing ever more popular.
    I'm usually empathetic toward the elderly but fuck this asshole.  I hear the terms "responsible gun owner" and "law abiding citizen" thrown around a lot in this conversation regarding weapons of destruction by the pro gun crowd.  Look at this guy.  Lived 93 years without any record whatsoever. Law abiding citizen, check.  Responsible gun owner, check.  As Halifax would say, until he wasn't.  Preach all you want about "good guys with guns" but if we can't even trust a 93 year old, clean-as-a-whistle "good guy," how the fuck are we to trust anyone else?
    Agreed....at some point gun control will happen.  We will get to a point where even the complete gun nuts agree.
    You know every now and then I watch too much news and listen to too many pundits about this and I get worried for a second, then I realize that all it is, is fear mongering and then I'm not worried anymore.
    Not worried about what? Losing your assault rifle?
    Wow, just wow.  This is what happens when we normalize violence and gun ownership under the guise of "its muh freedumb" and "defend muh home."  People think they can just whip out a gun over any fucking disagreement or 1st world problem now.  Imagine if I just fucking pulled a side piece in the Levi's store the other day because they wouldn't honor the posted sale price on a pair of jeans - rather than the sensible response of "that's ok, it's only a couple bucks and I need new jeans."  Or threatened to shoot the sushi delivery guy because they sent tamago instead of unagi like I ordered  - rather than the sensible response of just eating the damn egg & being happy I'm fed. This is not fucking normal behavior to go shoot a maintenance man because your apartment is leaking.  Except, in America, it seems to be growing ever more popular.
    I'm usually empathetic toward the elderly but fuck this asshole.  I hear the terms "responsible gun owner" and "law abiding citizen" thrown around a lot in this conversation regarding weapons of destruction by the pro gun crowd.  Look at this guy.  Lived 93 years without any record whatsoever. Law abiding citizen, check.  Responsible gun owner, check.  As Halifax would say, until he wasn't.  Preach all you want about "good guys with guns" but if we can't even trust a 93 year old, clean-as-a-whistle "good guy," how the fuck are we to trust anyone else?
    Agreed....at some point gun control will happen.  We will get to a point where even the complete gun nuts agree.
    You know every now and then I watch too much news and listen to too many pundits about this and I get worried for a second, then I realize that all it is, is fear mongering and then I'm not worried anymore.
    Not worried about what? Losing your assault rifle?
    True definition of an assault rifle is an actual military issued rifle, which no regular citizen is allowed to own, so I am not worried about losing that.
    I do not fear about being shot at when I am out in public.  I don't fall for that type of fear mongering.
    Neither did the people in Jersey City, Pensacola, Miramar, New Orleans, Fresno, Santa Clara, Orinda, Odessa, Dayton, El Paso, Gilroy, Virginia Beach, Highlands Ranch, Charlotte, Poway, Aurora, Ascension, or Sebring.  And that's just mass shootings that happened in 2019.  Parkland, Vegas, Thousand Oaks, Pittsburgh, Aberdeen, Annapolis, San Bernadino, DC Navy Yard, the maintenance man mentioned above, hell we even had a lockdown here at work last year - I never feared that until it actually happened to me, etc, etc, etc... etc... etc... ... In the entire decade of the 1990's there were 27 mass shootings in the United States.  In 2019 alone, there were 18.
    But I guess that's all just using shocking language at the expense of accuracy to get the public riled up, right?  That is the definition of sensationalism, no?
    I don't fear for my safety when I go out in public and I'm sorry that you do.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Interesting story.  I had never heard of Jiminez Arms until now.

If what they are accused of is true then they should be punished by the full letter of the law.  I follow rules and regulations and hate it when someone else doesn't and goes screwing it up for everyone else.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/kansas-city-sues-gun-manufacturer-for-illegal-trafficking-in-first-such-suit-in-ten-years/
  • Options
    I fear people with weapons wether they are guns, rifles more than people with out them! I feel safer in a home without weapons than in a home with weapons ...
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    mcgruff10 said:
    I respect that; Everyone is different.  But just because you (as in gun control people) don’t like weapons doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to own one. 
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agree.  It's the fact that people are getting killed in the USA by firearms at such a high rate vs other countries that means you shouldn't be able to own just any weapon and any ammo that you want.

Yes, that is the salient point here. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I’ve said it before I’ll say it again own as many guns as you want , I don’t socialize with folks who own weapons that’s my way of keeping myself safe ..
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed...which is what the majority believes yet we seem like the minority
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Here is the thing though, you can't just own ANY weapon of your choosing.

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mcgruff10 said:

Ammo doesn't mean squat if you don't have the firearm to put it in but the only ammo I see that should be throttled is steel core which is in effect.
    anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

But in the black market you can buy any weapons you desire no am I wrong? Let me ask you? With the weapon you own if you wanted too how many kills could you make? This is a hypothetical folks I know Chris and I’m sure he’s very responsible ...let me put it this was how many standing targets can you hit ..
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • Options
    I could own surface to air missiles and be very responsible with them.  That doesn't mean squat.

Society as a whole benefits from assault weapons bans.  The data supports that.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

anything that allows you to mow down a classroom with one pull should be illegal. 
    And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

And that gun is illegal to own without extensive backround checks and very, very expensive to own.
    But if you pass the checks you can own it? 
  • Options
    I could own surface to air missiles and be very responsible with them.  That doesn't mean squat.

Assault weapons are banned but you knew that...

I really shouldn't pick on you about verbiage, it's low lying fruit.  I understand what you mean and I disagree.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I think that is a class 3 permit.  Fully auto would be cool to shoot but I don't see a reason to own one.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

But in the black market you can buy any weapons you desire no am I wrong? Let me ask you? With the weapon you own if you wanted too how many kills could you make? This is a hypothetical folks I know Chris and I’m sure he’s very responsible ...let me put it this was how many standing targets can you hit ..
    If I do it with a handgun, hit all the targets, does that change your mind?  I was trained with a sidearm and shotgun and not a rifle.

• Options

I disagree, assault weapons are scary looking but are hardly used in any crimes.  Handguns are what need to be heavily regulated but sadly will never be.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I 've said it before Jose but a key factor in all this is mag restriction.  In New Jersey (and I believe New York) we are limited to a ten round mag; I don't have an issue with that.  However let's not go any lower.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I disagree, assault weapons are scary looking but are hardly used in any crimes.  Handguns are what need to be heavily regulated but sadly will never be.  
    Hardly used except for shooting up schools....but yes I agree about regulation.

A gun should be licensed and registered just like an automobile or a fucking snowmobile.  No second hand sales.....ever

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Hardly used except for shooting up schools....but yes I agree about regulation.

A gun should be licensed and registered just like an automobile or a fucking snowmobile.  No second hand sales.....ever
    No problems with that here.  New Jersey (where I live) makes you register every firearm.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

If I do it with a handgun, hit all the targets, does that change your mind?  I was trained with a sidearm and shotgun and not a rifle.

Funny I've been using shotguns and rifles since I was ten but a handgun is pretty foreign to me.  300 yards with a rifle, no problem.  15 yards with a handgun, no bueno.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It’s not about changing my mind , I’ll be 60 this year I’ve made it this far without ever holding a gun let alone shoot one ..
    Can I ask again in the black market can you get any weapon you want I’m talking guns , rifles , etc etc ? 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said: moo

Whether or not they are frequently or infrequently used in crimes doesn’t alter the fact that banning these weapons is effective in reducing a particular type of crime, i.e. mass shootings. Both, or rather all types, of firearms should be heavily regulated. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It’s not about changing my mind , I’ll be 60 this year I’ve made it this far without ever holding a gun let alone shoot one ..
    Can I ask again in the black market can you get any weapon you want I’m talking guns , rifles , etc etc ? 
    I knew of only one person in my life that smuggled guns and they never were able to get full auto weapons.

If you want to talk black market though I am sure you can get anything you wanted but I see zero point in owning something illegal.  I'm also not a hardened criminal that is looking for a gun.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Maybe go to the dark web and you can find the answer to  your question.  ;)
    However I'm sure you can get whatever you want on the black market if you want it bad enough and have the cash for it.
This discussion has been closed.