America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

active shooter event in colrado springs colorado at a planned parenthood clinic. 3-4 cops injured thus far, as well as some civilians. shooter stil at large.

I'm wondering if we should have a separate thread for American gun terrorism.
    maybe american terrorism period, tthat includes this kind of thing. Church bombings , mass shootings, etc.
    You guys don't need to start anymore threads about terrorism.
    There is enough already.
    Keep that shit in the east.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

active shooter event in colrado springs colorado at a planned parenthood clinic. 3-4 cops injured thus far, as well as some civilians. shooter stil at large.

maybe american terrorism period, tthat includes this kind of thing. Church bombings , mass shootings, etc.
    There is enough already.
    The citizens of your country might not engage in "that shit"

But unfortunately citizens in ours do.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

There is enough already.

Explain your comment more thuroghly please. I'm trying to figure out the countries and areas involved...

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

There is enough already.

Explain your comment more thuroghly please. I'm trying to figure out the countries and areas involved...
    He is canadian. I am american.

It was posited by rgambs Colorado Springs was a terrorist act. I am inclined to agree. Recent church firebombings. Other shootings.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    edited November 2015
    It really breaks my heart to see the news coming out of Colorado of the shooting at a planned parenthood. So sad. I read a tweet from a celebrity who said something like"'every time something like this happens, we make another donation to planned parenthood". I might have to do that myself.

Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains released a statement as the scene unfolded, saying what while “we don't yet know the full circumstances and motives behind this criminal action … [w]e share the concerns of many Americans that extremists are creating a poisonous environment that feeds domestic terrorism in this country."
    Post edited by CH156378 on
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    Motive? Let's see.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    Yet another example of 2nd amendment rights in action....

Mississippi Waffle House employee shot to death over a cigarette
    http://heraldvoice.com/2015/11/28/mississippi-waffle-house-employee-shot-to-death-over-a/
  • Yet another example of 2nd amendment rights in action....

http://heraldvoice.com/2015/11/28/mississippi-waffle-house-employee-shot-to-death-over-a/

That's not second amendments rights that's plain stupidity and murder...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Well he didn't kill with a waffle iron now did he?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited November 2015
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

There is enough already.

Yeah. It's for sure something that Americans are justified in focusing some attention on. There are terrorist attacks on what i would call a semi-regular basis in the US..... Just a matter of time for Canadians too, I figure, unless we get really lucky with prevention. We have actually had a few incidents recently. The federal Parliament building attack last year was a big deal, although the attacker was mentally ill and worked alone if i remember correctly, so not sure that really counts. The cop killings in Ontario and and Quebec certainly qualify and ISIS at least claimed credit for those. The biggest was probably the one that never happened 2 years ago. There was a plot to bomb the BC legislature on Canada Day during public festivities. Their plot was foiled. There was another foiled plot to blow up a via rail train - that was a Canada/US co-op plot. Canada needs to be vigilant too. But Canadians aren't scared. Wary, but not scared.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    rgambs said:

We all know that waffle irons don't kill people

rgambs said:

We all know that waffle irons don't kill people
    Cumulative effects of waffle irons do.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    good article today in the washington post of all places! I'm shocked that a liberal newspaper actually printed this!

The costs and consequences of gun control

By David Kopel December 1 at 8:00 AM
    Today the Cato Institute published my monograph “The Costs and Consequences of Gun Control.” The policy analysis examines several gun control proposals which have been promoted by the Obama administration and the gun control lobby: bans on so-called assault weapons; bans on standard magazines; confiscation; and the prohibition of all private sales, loans and returns, except when processed by a gun store. After explaining why each of these proposals is likely to do little good and much harm, the paper discusses realistic alternatives which really can save lives. The most important of these is providing a much broader safety net for people seeking help for severe mental illness. In addition, respecting the right to bear arms has been demonstrated to be successful in thwarting would-be mass murderers.

Prohibiting certain guns or magazines will be futile without confiscation of such arms currently owned by citizens; so said a 2013 memo by Greg Ridgeway, acting director of the National Institute of Justice (the research arm of the Justice Department). Likewise, the NIJ memo explained that “universal” background checks are useless without comprehensive registration of all guns and all gun owners. Yet Americans have historically resisted gun registration, precisely because of concerns about confiscation. These concerns are not unfounded; registration lists have been used to enforce confiscation in New York City, in Australia and in Great Britain. In Australia, the confiscation was euphemistically called a “buy back,” although it was in fact involuntary confiscation, with only partial compensation paid for the confiscated items.

Moreover, all of the the gun control laws discussed above affirmatively harm public safety. The term “assault weapons” is a political gimmick designed to foster confusion. These guns are not machine guns; they fire only one bullet each time the trigger is pressed, just like every other ordinary firearm. They are not more powerful than other firearms. To the contrary, their ammunition is typically intermediate in power, less powerful than ammunition that is made for big-game hunting.

The vague epithet “assault weapon” has been used against everything from airguns to double-barreled shotguns. Many current definitions outlaw guns because they have a “feature” (such as a forward grip on a long gun) which make the gun more accurate, and thus better-suited for lawful purposes such as self-defense and hunting.

Magazines holding more than 10 rounds constitute nearly half of the magazines in the modern United States. Citizens choose them for self-defense for the same reason that law enforcement officers do: Violent confrontations are unpredictable. For example, if a person is fighting against one or two perpetrators, he may not know if there is an additional, hidden attacker. Thus, defensive gun users need to keep a reserve of ammunition. So even though armed defenders do not usually fire more than 10 shots, reducing reserve capacity (e.g., from a standard 17-round magazine to a 10-round substitute) will reduce the number of defensive shots. Fewer shots fired at the attacker reduces the risk of injury to the attacker, and thereby raises the risk of injury to the victim.

As I detailed in articles in early November, federal proposals and recently-enacted state laws about “universal background checks” are a bait-and-switch. Instead of applying to only the private sale of firearms, they also impose onerous, impractical restrictions on short-term loans and returns. These have enormously destructive effects on safety training and self-defense, on safe storage, and on informal target shooting. Further, they indirectly impose handgun prohibition on adults aged 18 to 20.

Instead of ineffective measures which do much more harm than good, the better approach is laws which can enhance public safety while respecting individual rights. Pretend “gun free zones” (which are enforced only by signage, rather than by metal detectors) have been proven to be magnets for psychopaths, and they should be repealed. The Cato papers lists some of the instances in which armed persons have thwarted a criminal intent on mass murder.

By far the single most effective step we could take to reduce violent crime would be to greatly increase spending to help the severely mentally ill. The biggest crime reduction would be fewer crimes against the mentally ill, since they are more vulnerable than the general population, and are victimized at a much higher rate. The mass murderers in Tucson and Aurora could have been committed for observation and treatment under existing state laws, with due process protections, but people who knew about the danger failed to take the appropriate steps. More broadly, there are many persons with severe mental illness who voluntarily seek temporary hospitalization, but who are turned away due to insufficient treatment capacity. Greater spending to help the mentally ill today will more than pay for itself in the long run, by reducing criminal justice and incarceration costs. (The mental health issue is addressed in greater detail in my forthcoming article in Howard Law Journal.)

Although some persons demand that we immediately “do something” about guns, we would do better to carefully examine whether particular proposals will be helpful or harmful. The best prospects for saving lives are by helping a politically powerless group — the severely mentally ill — and not in a culture war against the Second Amendment.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    so what do the severly mentally ill in Canada and Australia, and pretty much everywhere else in the civilized world, do when they want revenge and don't have shopping mall access to guns and aren't told from birth it's their god given right to own a gun? they hang themselves or get help.

imagine that.

it's not just guns. it's culture. change the culture, reduce deaths. but to change culture you have to respect the priveledge of owning a gun, not demand it as a right.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

so what do the severly mentally ill in Canada and Australia, and pretty much everywhere else in the civilized world, do when they want revenge and don't have shopping mall access to guns and aren't told from birth it's their god given right to own a gun? they hang themselves or get help.

imagine that.

it's not just guns. it's culture. change the culture, reduce deaths. but to change culture you have to respect the priveledge of owning a gun, not demand it as a right.

agree with you a 100% bud.
  • mcgruff10 said:

imagine that.

Well well well...

Scruffy is in full agreement mode this morning!
    "My brain's a good brain!"

mcgruff10 said:

imagine that.

Well well well...

Scruffy is in full agreement mode this morning!
    I m in a good mood since pj dates are coming soon.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    Aww man! Now their heads are gonna be all big and shit. Thanks a lot, mcgruff!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

Aww man! Now their heads are gonna be all big and shit. Thanks a lot, mcgruff!

Whoa whoa I didn't concede defeat or anything! I just agreed with respecting the privilege of owning a gun and somehow changing the culture.
    I m still go to the range as much as possible and saving up for one of those scary assault weapons!!!
    Hahaha! Love it!
    dudeman said:

Hahaha! Love it!

Dudeman I just ordered a shit load of ammo from cabelas and an extremely discounted knife with free shipping!!
    Cool!
    dudeman said:

Cool!

Get on it! Free shipping ends tonight.
    Maybe against my better judgment, I started a pro-gun thread on AET. We'll see how it goes....
  • dudeman said:

Maybe against my better judgment, I started a pro-gun thread on AET. We'll see how it goes....

Well we appreciate you taking your discussion of your gun preferences and purchases to another thread anyway, thanks :)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    There are reports of a mass shooting in San Bernardino CA.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Another day in murikkka
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    San Bernardino: "CNN affiliate KABC reported that the shooting took place at Inland Regional Center, a facility for people with developmental disabilities."

Just when you think it can't get any lower, it does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    edited December 2015
    They're looking for 3 white males in military gear

Edit - or with military gear
    Post edited by FoxyRedLa on
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.