America's Gun Violence

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

jeffbr said:

Also this guy is clearly "brandishing" his weapon which is illegal everywhere so he should be arrested.

Agreed. He's gone beyond simple "open carry". The way he's holding the firearm, with finger ready to move to the trigger sure looks like brandishing to me. If he had the firearm slung over is shoulder, and not in a position ready to be fired, I'd recognize that as his right to open carry.

This guy should be arrested and cited for disorderly conduct. His actions are clearly done to cause alarm, and the firearm is being displayed in a threatening manner. I'd be freaking the fuck out if I were that poor woman.
    100% agree. Fucking wannabee john Wayne.
    More like a fucking wannabee evil Rambo. I can't believe those assholes. Are their hearts literally made of stone? How can they feel good about doing that?? Insane.
    Their hearts are equal parts ignorance, douche and asshole.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • I just showed a colleague that picture.

He stood there dumbfounded and asked, "Can they really carry a weapon like that in Texas?"

I replied, "Yes" to which he said, "Holy shit."
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited November 2015

I just showed a colleague that picture.

He stood there dumbfounded and asked, "Can they really carry a weapon like that in Texas?"

It really is absolutely shocking to pretty much anyone in the western world outside of the USA that a person can do this (and hopefully most people within the US, too... though I think a whole lot of Americans would argue that their right to do this (minus the finger on the trigger perhaps) is more important than that woman's right to not be stalked by a gunman.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

It really is absolutely shocking that a person can do this to pretty much anyone in the western world outside of the USA (and hopefully most people within it, too... though I think a whole lot of Americans would argue that their right to do this (minus the finger on the trigger perhaps) is more important than that woman's right to not be stalked by a gunman.
    Big difference between "open carry" and "brandishing". The latter is illegal. No descent law abiding gun owner does this. Why? Because he would be breaking the law.

John Rambo here is breaking the law and should be arrested.

I'm throwing in the race card here, what if he were black and in a white community walking around like this?

PJ_Soul said:

It really is absolutely shocking that a person can do this to pretty much anyone in the western world outside of the USA (and hopefully most people within it, too... though I think a whole lot of Americans would argue that their right to do this (minus the finger on the trigger perhaps) is more important than that woman's right to not be stalked by a gunman.
    Big difference between "open carry" and "brandishing". The latter is illegal. No descent law abiding gun owner does this. Why? Because he would be breaking the law.

I'm throwing in the race card here, what if he were black and in a white community walking around like this?

Yeah, I read that, which is why I mentioned the finger on the trigger... but I really wouldn't find the same photo except where the gun is being held to the side any less shocking. I think the brandishing law sounds a bit silly TBH.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    Unless he is actually guarding her. Note he is looking to the side.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

Oh come on! No he's not, he's looking right at the camera, I can see his bloody eyes haha
    Definitely have not read any stories about armed men guarding Muslims, lol, unless you mean guarding in the same context as you would use it for prison guards.

mickeyrat said:

Oh come on! No he's not, he's looking right at the camera, I can see his bloody eyes haha
    Personally I want more information. Making a judgement based off a screenshot without context isnt something I am willing to do.

I see in the picture it was a local fox station dallas/fort worth From 1045 am cst. Twitter time stamps are from an hour later. Dated yesterday. So I assume the screenshot was from the same day.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Personally I want more information. Making a judgement based off a screenshot without context isnt something I am willing to do.

I see in the picture it was a local fox station dallas/fort worth From 1045 am cst. Twitter time stamps are from an hour later. Dated yesterday. So I assume the screenshot was from the same day.
    Here's the story:
    http://www.fox4news.com/news/52977915-story

Doesn't appear that the armed hillbilly was guarding the Muslim woman. These were armed protesters protesting the "Islamization" of America. Yeehaw.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited November 2015
    jeffbr said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Here's the story:
    http://www.fox4news.com/news/52977915-story

Doesn't appear that the armed hillbilly was guarding the Muslim woman. These were armed protesters protesting the "Islamization" of America. Yeehaw.
    Thank you.

1st amendment is tough to defend sometimes. We can be such an emotionally based country sometimes. At the expense of reason and logic at times.

Unreasonable or irrational fear is difficult to overcome. But not impossible.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Oh, yeah, sorry. I already knew what the context was because I'd seen the story on the TV news before the photo was even posted here.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Imagine a black lives matter protest armed like this...the fallout would reach Japan!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

PJ_Soul said:

Dayton, Ohio
    John Crawford RIP
  • rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Dayton, Ohio
    John Crawford RIP
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Dayton, Ohio
    John Crawford RIP
    True.

There is all sorts of wrong with that case.

Your average person has no way of telling the difference between an air soft rifle and a real one.

A cop won't in a split second decision either.

The cap guns I used to play with as a youngster are now banned. They have to be brightly colored now.

Those air soft rifles/pistols should be too. They are way too realistic looking.

I am all for 2nd amendment rights but an air soft gun should not be.

If you want a pellet/air soft gun to be held in the same light as a real gun then they should be locked up too.
  • Round and round.
    Love me the merry go round.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    arrest made in the case of the 9 year old boy gunned down by gangs in Chicago, apparently because the boy was a family member of a rival gang. shot in the face and back while he was on the way to the park to play basketball. he was lured into an alley where he was murdered.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/27/us/chicago-tyshawn-lee-arrest/index.html
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• arrest made in the case of the 9 year old boy gunned down by gangs in Chicago, apparently because the boy was a family member of a rival gang. shot in the face and back while he was on the way to the park to play basketball. he was lured into an alley where he was murdered.

Brutal.

Not as brutal as the link in your link detailing the abduction, rape and murder of a 7 year old from a Kentucky community football game (where a candidate for the DP is sitting behind bars pleading his innocence)... but really brutal.

* Sometimes the web is awful when it tempts you to spiral downwards sifting through shitty story after shitty story hating mankind as you do.

arrest made in the case of the 9 year old boy gunned down by gangs in Chicago, apparently because the boy was a family member of a rival gang. shot in the face and back while he was on the way to the park to play basketball. he was lured into an alley where he was murdered.

Brutal.

Not as brutal as the link in your link detailing the abduction, rape and murder of a 7 year old from a Kentucky community football game (where a candidate for the DP is sitting behind bars pleading his innocence)... but really brutal.

* Sometimes the web is awful when it tempts you to spiral downwards sifting through shitty story after shitty story hating mankind as you do.
    I've found myself doing just that on cnn.com. my inner morbid curiosity makes me do it. damn disgusting click bait.

www.headstonesband.com

Brutal.

I've found myself doing just that on cnn.com. my inner morbid curiosity makes me do it. damn disgusting click bait.

Exploiting a base human need to see shit like that.

Something about "bloodsport" appeals to our inner caveman. Indicates we arent as evolved as we like to think. Generally speaking of course.

mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

Something about "bloodsport" appeals to our inner caveman. Indicates we arent as evolved as we like to think. Generally speaking of course.
    I often wonder why UFC appeals to me. Sometimes I feel guilty for watching it. I am about as anti-violence as you get. But I love UFC. it's a complete contradiction in values vs interest for me. it's odd.

www.headstonesband.com

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    The Internet and commercial media is the modern day version of the Roman Coliseum. People still like watching others get eaten by fucking lions.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

There are many times I see a woman walk towards me and instinctively I find myself checking her out to some capacity.

It's not a conscious thing... and maybe there's something wrong with me... but I can't help but feel it's just me being a caveman.

mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

There are many times I see a woman walk towards me and instinctively I find myself checking her out to some capacity.

It's not a conscious thing... and maybe there's something wrong with me... but I can't help but feel it's just me being a caveman.
    Yep. Ingrained intuitive reaction. To my knowledge and experience it cant be helped. Whats important though is the conduct after the initial thought.

mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

many times? I always do. especially if I see a nice butt in yoga pants.

www.headstonesband.com

mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

There is no helping it, yoga pants are an immutable force, like gravity lol
  • mickeyrat said:

Brutal.

Okay, dammit.

I needed to test the field before committing to being a drooling fool fixated on lululemons.
    active shooter event in colrado springs colorado at a planned parenthood clinic. 3-4 cops injured thus far, as well as some civilians. shooter stil at large.

mickeyrat said:

active shooter event in colrado springs colorado at a planned parenthood clinic. 3-4 cops injured thus far, as well as some civilians. shooter stil at large.

I'm wondering if we should have a separate thread for American gun terrorism.
    rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

I'm wondering if we should have a separate thread for American gun terrorism.
    maybe american terrorism period, tthat includes this kind of thing. Church bombings , mass shootings, etc.

This discussion has been closed.