America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

No, I don't think arming more people is the solution. I think we need less people running around with guns. However, I believe in giving law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves and their families from those who wish to do them harm.

But for a few municipalities, that right is not prohibited.
    Not yet.
    and THAT comes across as paranoid.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    should the question be asked of buyers of weapons if there are kids in the house? If the answer is yes then mpre extensive training should be a requirement, shouldnt it? Might have prevented this from happening. Fine upstanding responsible gun owner.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2015/11/06/preschooler-shoots-himself/75309372/
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    edited November 2015
    "The culture of fear is idiotic."
    You have no clue what fear is until you experience it. everyone has a story, don't assume everyone lives in a world with white picket fences where everyone loves each other.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Dudeman, how the hell would you know what I've experienced?? Oh right. You don't. Don't presume that people who don't feel like guns are the answer and don't let fear rule them have never been threatened, because you'd be wrong.

Don't presume that every gun owner in the US is a paranoid, "brainwashed by fear", "idiotic" criminal waiting to happen.

Don't presume they have one toof, drive a Fargo pickup, and say, "Hyuk Hyuk" a lot either.

That's only, like, maybe half of them!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited November 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

You have no clue what fear is until you experience it. everyone has a story, don't assume everyone lives in a world with white picket fences where everyone loves each other.

? I have experienced fear. Experiencing fear and creating and maintaining a culture of fear are two very different things. And i do not assume that at all. Where'd you get the idea I think that? You think there are only two options? A culture of fear or white picket fences and everyone loves everyone? Yikes.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

? I have experienced fear. Experiencing fear and creating and maintaining a culture of fear are two very different things. And i do not assume that at all. Where'd you get the idea I think that? You think there are only two options? A culture of fear or white picket fences and everyone loves everyone? Yikes.
    Aye it's that culture of fear that the NRA seem to endeavour to cultivate for their own ends
  • PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Aye it's that culture of fear that the NRA seem to endeavour to cultivate for their own ends
    Take this with a grain of salt.

Brady bill. California bans all assault weapons. Major cities ban handguns. Clinton bans the import of assault weapons. NY bans all sorts of things like high ammunition sales, the gun you actually own and so on...

There is proof there that Quite s few want to take away your guns.

Again, take it with a grain of salt.

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Take this with a grain of salt.

Brady bill. California bans all assault weapons. Major cities ban handguns. Clinton bans the import of assault weapons. NY bans all sorts of things like high ammunition sales, the gun you actually own and so on...

There is proof there that Quite s few want to take away your guns.

Again, take it with a grain of salt.
    look at new jersey. we are only a few steps away from pretty much repealing the 2nd amendment.
    new york banned high ammunition sales? so if I buy a brick (500 res) of .22 lr it's illegal?
    I know their magazine ban did not survive court but everything else did.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    There has been mention of "looking to England and Australia" on how to deal with America's gun violence. I'm pretty sure I've heard that from President Obama and Hilary. A ban and confiscation of privately owned firearms in the US certainly isn't out of the question.
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

No, I don't think arming more people is the solution. I think we need less people running around with guns. However, I believe in giving law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves and their families from those who wish to do them harm.

Not yet.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

There has been mention of "looking to England and Australia" on how to deal with America's gun violence. I'm pretty sure I've heard that from President Obama and Hilary. A ban and confiscation of privately owned firearms in the US certainly isn't out of the question.

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

Not yet.
    That would require a constitutional amendment. Will never be more than talk.

Personally I am not calling for either. Simply want more uniform requirements, with rigorous training and some tracability to hold those folks accountable for poor securement or outright sale or gifting to folks who cant otherwise legally possess.

And lets get some real study of data. Not the patchwork shit we see now.

Its an important right to have. But as a nation we have moved a fair bit away from being a responsible people with something so powerful and life taking/altering.

• In this case, we can support the kid- hopefully he can recover and we can take steps to help him.

If he had turned the weapon on his classmates, this wouldn't be the case.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/17/3722968/nra-texas-rep-no-syrians-gun-access/
    Tony Dale doesn't want refugees in Texas because they can buy guns. You can't make this up.
  • Gun violence is on the decline. Look it up, fbi facts. How about we stop bickering and fighting about something the media wants us to and actually pay attention to what's going on in the world? Crazy I know I know right?...
  • Gun violence is on the decline. Look it up, fbi facts. How about we stop bickering and fighting about something the media wants us to and actually pay attention to what's going on in the world? Crazy I know I know right?...

How about you provide us with a source for that "fact"?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    edited November 2015
    https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/resource-pages/fbi-releases-2014-crime-statistics

This indicates a decline in violent crime, not specifically gun violence but it's worth noting nonetheless.

It looks like violent crime has been on the decline in the US for the past 13 years according to the FBI.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • dudeman said:
    'Extensive criminal history'... but his stepson is figuring something's not right.

Yup... something's not right. He's correct. His stepfather was afforded way too many opportunities to harm people.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Saw that one, even the dogs can't be trusted with guns now :p
  • Ah lads, are ye allowed just meander around the streets with automatic weapons?!

• Ah lads, are ye allowed just meander around the streets with automatic weapons?!

wow
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

Ah lads, are ye allowed just meander around the streets with automatic weapons?!

Yes, it's called open carry and a lot of states are proud of it.
    Embarrassing.

• eddiec said:

Ah lads, are ye allowed just meander around the streets with automatic weapons?!

Embarrassing.

It's stupid things like this that get weapons banned and more rules to follow...

Also this guy is clearly "brandishing" his weapon which is illegal everywhere so he should be arrested.
  • eddiec said:

Embarrassing.

A lot of people might look at that picture and figure that masked guy is awesome.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Also this guy is clearly "brandishing" his weapon which is illegal everywhere so he should be arrested.

Agreed. He's gone beyond simple "open carry". The way he's holding the firearm, with finger ready to move to the trigger sure looks like brandishing to me. If he had the firearm slung over is shoulder, and not in a position ready to be fired, I'd recognize that as his right to open carry.

This guy should be arrested and cited for disorderly conduct. His actions are clearly done to cause alarm, and the firearm is being displayed in a threatening manner. I'd be freaking the fuck out if I were that poor woman.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

eddiec said:

Embarrassing.

A lot of people might look at that picture and figure that masked guy is awesome.
    That is true. LOTS of Americans will do that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    jeffbr said:

Agreed. He's gone beyond simple "open carry". The way he's holding the firearm, with finger ready to move to the trigger sure looks like brandishing to me. If he had the firearm slung over is shoulder, and not in a position ready to be fired, I'd recognize that as his right to open carry.

This guy should be arrested and cited for disorderly conduct. His actions are clearly done to cause alarm, and the firearm is being displayed in a threatening manner. I'd be freaking the fuck out if I were that poor woman.
    100% agree. Fucking wannabee john Wayne.
    mcgruff10 said:

jeffbr said:

100% agree. Fucking wannabee john Wayne.
    More like a fucking wannabee evil Rambo. I can't believe those assholes. Are their hearts literally made of stone? How can they feel good about doing that?? Insane.
This discussion has been closed.