Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    In Sweden, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 1.60

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 11.30

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

http://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/united-states/sweden

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?
    what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

I'd rather wait for a few hours than have to remortgage my house. 
    Really only those who go bankrupt are those without insurance.
    I hate our system, so I'm not saying its great. But no one with insurance pays 100k in medical bills. Most plans have a max out of pocket in the 5-10k range (meaning after 5k the insurance pays for all the bills), and hospitals will work with you to pay that off in installments if needed. 
    My biggest complaint is with our cost of monthly premiums, everything should be free. We could probably run socialized medicine with just the cost of our premiums, and not have to pay $3,000 for a hospital visit on top of that.
    Yes, the US spends more on health care than any other country and gets far worse results. Americans express horror at what they perceive would be the high taxes they would face if they had a proper health care system, but you are already paying more than that in a combination of taxes, contributions to your health insurance, co-pays and bills for things that aren’t covered. 
    I completely agree with you. I wouldn't have about 10 years ago when my premiums were under $100 a month. But the cost has exploded way beyond normal inflation rates. But it makes no sense to pay what we pay, and still have costs above that.
    Hell just got a little chilly. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?
    what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

What house? The mortgage on my 2400 square foot house with a large backyard is pretty much payed off and probably did not cost a hundredth of what it would cost anywhere in Sweden? 
    once again, in Sweden housing costs 41% LESS than in the US. I think you are reading your link's info backwards. 
    Yes, but income is far lower and that is pretty standard across ALL of Sweden.  In the US, there are plenty of options other than the high priced cities to live and work.

You are saying that Sweden only have high prices cities to live and work in?

What do you work with? How much do you make, before and after taxes?
    No, I am not saying Sweden only have high priced cities to live and work in, but that the crazy high prices in some cities in the US skew that stat a bit when comparing the two countries.  
    You go first, how much do you make before and after taxes?

My point was to compare what you make in your proffession to here. I don't think we do the same work. But okey sure:

I work as a "junior" Art Director/Graphic designer. Full time (40h/w) I make 35.000 SEK ($3850) (I have chose to work 80% for the moment though). After taxes (25%) that results in 26.250 SEK ($2900).

Don't need to pay any health insurance.

And sometimes I take a "fika". 

And I have only seen one privately owned gun in my entire life, my dads old shotgun which he used for HUNTING (it is not banned). No 11 per 100.000 here.
    And how much (roughly) would one pay for, let’s say, a 1,500 square foot house where you live?

Square foot? Stop speaking like you're from medieval times. 

The metric system was invented for a reason. What is that in m2?
    Roughly 140 m2, I’m guessing.  And I will agree there.  The standard in the US is not metric and I do wish it was.
    That is obviously a hard question to answer. "How long is a piece of string". It all depends on where, and the kind of house etc. And I'm nbo experts on house, I live in a flat with a reasonable rent...

How much would one pay for a 140 m2 house in the US?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

yeah, what a shithole country. LOL
    I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.
    I know you didn't, I was using your president's terminology. 

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
    I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.

Ah yes.

The 'American Dream' corporations have sold to the people: all this can be yours!

Capitalists saw how effective religions were attracting people to their way of thinking by promising things that seem so damn awesome. They developed their own mantra and the people fell in line.

The only people realizing the 'American Dream' in America these days are the people born into one.
    Then why do so many people flock here if not for better opportunities than they have elsewhere?

Convenience.

The country next to a cartel ravaged country is America. That makes America a very attractive to people looking for a safe and normal life.
    Lol, okay then...
    Do you really, honest-to-god, think that people only immigrate to the US? 

Where did I say that...Do you, honest to god, aptly definitives to every comment?  
    See what I did there? Lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
    I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.

Ah yes.

The 'American Dream' corporations have sold to the people: all this can be yours!

Capitalists saw how effective religions were attracting people to their way of thinking by promising things that seem so damn awesome. They developed their own mantra and the people fell in line.

The only people realizing the 'American Dream' in America these days are the people born into one.
    Then why do so many people flock here if not for better opportunities than they have elsewhere?

Convenience.

The country next to a cartel ravaged country is America. That makes America a very attractive to people looking for a safe and normal life.
    Lol, okay then...

Where did I say that...Do you, honest to god, aptly definitives to every comment?  
    I wish Gene Simmons would stop saying "See what I did there" all the time in interviews. He says it Constantly. I just want to know if Ace will return. I don't need all the sexual innuendos. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

What house? The mortgage on my 2400 square foot house with a large backyard is pretty much payed off and probably did not cost a hundredth of what it would cost anywhere in Sweden? 
    once again, in Sweden housing costs 41% LESS than in the US. I think you are reading your link's info backwards. 
    Yes, but income is far lower and that is pretty standard across ALL of Sweden.  In the US, there are plenty of options other than the high priced cities to live and work.

No, I am not saying Sweden only have high priced cities to live and work in, but that the crazy high prices in some cities in the US skew that stat a bit when comparing the two countries.  

My point was to compare what you make in your proffession to here. I don't think we do the same work. But okey sure:

I work as a "junior" Art Director/Graphic designer. Full time (40h/w) I make 35.000 SEK ($3850) (I have chose to work 80% for the moment though). After taxes (25%) that results in 26.250 SEK ($2900).

And I have only seen one privately owned gun in my entire life, my dads old shotgun which he used for HUNTING (it is not banned). No 11 per 100.000 here.
    And how much (roughly) would one pay for, let’s say, a 1,500 square foot house where you live?

Roughly 140 m2, I’m guessing.  And I will agree there.  The standard in the US is not metric and I do wish it was.
    That is obviously a hard question to answer. "How long is a piece of string". It all depends on where, and the kind of house etc. And I'm nbo experts on house, I live in a flat with a reasonable rent...

Same answer, which is kind of my point, in some cities that may be close to 1 million dollars.  Where I live, the average would probably be $140,000 for a house that size.
    edit:  average income in my area for someone with a bachelors degree is in the range of around $40 thousand to $50 thousand (I make a bit more)

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Sometimes it’s hard to keep the eye roll out of my answers to your questions.

So the answer to your question “why do people flock to the US” is “the same reasons they flock to lots of other counties”. Including European countries. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    edited August 2018
    I'll try to squeeze in this on topic article and study regarding actual school related gun incident numbers, but it may throw off the Team Sweden vs. Team USA quest for relevance discussion. Carry on while we find that data being reported is inaccurate, which doesn't bode well for the anti-gun/gun control movement. At least this study seemed to be the outlier, but what can be expected from a department headed by Betsy Devos.

This spring the U.S. Education Department reported that in the 2015-2016 school year, "nearly 240 schools ... reported at least 1 incident involving a school-related shooting." The number is far higher than most other estimates.

But NPR reached out to every one of those schools repeatedly over the course of three months and found that more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened. Child Trends, a nonpartisan nonprofit research organization, assisted NPR in analyzing data from the government's Civil Rights Data Collection.

We were able to confirm just 11 reported incidents, either directly with schools or through media reports.

In 161 cases, schools or districts attested that no incident took place or couldn't confirm one. In at least four cases, we found, something did happen, but it didn't meet the government's parameters for a shooting. About a quarter of schools didn't respond to our inquiries.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/08/27/640323347/the-school-shootings-that-werent
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Same answer, which is kind of my point, in some cities that may be close to 1 million dollars.  Where I live, the average would probably be $140,000 for a house that size.
    edit:  average income in my area for someone with a bachelors degree is in the range of around $40 thousand to $50 thousand (I make a bit more)

Well then, were back at 11 deaths per 100.000 vs 1,6. And both countries allow hunting.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Sometimes it’s hard to keep the eye roll out of my answers to your questions.

So the answer to your question “why do people flock to the US” is “the same reasons they flock to lots of other counties”. Including European countries. 

I thought we were just talking about US and Sweden in relation to opportunities...

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,651
    edited August 2018
    Can you hunt feral wild boar in Sweden? Didn’t think so. That settles it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Can you hunt feral wild boar in Sweden. Didn’t think so. That settles it.
    I’d say so, hahaha
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Well then, were back at 11 deaths per 100.000 vs 1,6. And both countries allow hunting.
    Yep, apples to “durians”
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Are you serious with this response?

Do you think Mexican people (and Central/South American for that matter) are leaving their countries for the US because they simply pursue a change of pace... or maybe a fatter piece of the pie? And that they leave everything behind because the US is so welcoming and there is very little risk?

Wow. No wonder Trump got elected.

There's very little opportunity in Mexico. In many situations, young men can get a job at an all-inclusive serving fat Americans, join an ill-equipped military or an under-funded police force... or they can join a cartel and buy cars, carry pistols and date young women.

Young families that do not want that future for their young sons give up everything they own to seek a better life for their children. They do so on foot and they hike to the nearest country that might be able to afford them this: that's the US... who, coincidentally, fuels the drug trade in Mexico by comprising the bulk of the consumer base (contributing at least in part to the social epidemic Mexico currently endures). 
    Most immigrants are of Asian decent as my2hands pointed out...

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited August 2018
    Can you hunt feral wild boar in Sweden? Didn’t think so. That settles it.
    @Halifax2TheMax and @PJPOWER - as this thread shows - stop being so ignorant you people on the other side of the atlantic. :)

https://jaktplay.se/video/wild-boar-in-sweden-vildsvin-vid-atel-1/

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    If I have failed to make my point, PJP... it is as follows:

In many cases, this era sees people immigrating illegally to the nearest country which might offer them the opportunity to live safely... or they are immigrating on a professional level to capitalize on a system already in place that will generously reward them.

Pursuing the 'American Dream' is not part of the decision making tree for these people (as I seemed to interpret from something you wrote a long ways back there when you were saying this is why the US was better than Sweden).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Do you think Mexican people (and Central/South American for that matter) are leaving their countries for the US because they simply pursue a change of pace... or maybe a fatter piece of the pie? And that they leave everything behind because the US is so welcoming and there is very little risk?

There's very little opportunity in Mexico. In many situations, young men can get a job at an all-inclusive serving fat Americans, join an ill-equipped military or an under-funded police force... or they can join a cartel and buy cars, carry pistols and date young women.

Young families that do not want that future for their young sons give up everything they own to seek a better life for their children. They do so on foot and they hike to the nearest country that might be able to afford them this: that's the US... who, coincidentally, fuels the drug trade in Mexico by comprising the bulk of the consumer base (contributing at least in part to the social epidemic Mexico currently endures). 

Documented. But every country has their share of documented immigrants. That point is moot. 

When I think of immigration and the US... I immediately think of the southern border and the problems your country has there. It is fair to say that this is the crux of the immigration issue for the US in today's social climate. And as I tried to succinctly state in my last post, I don't think it is appropriate to suggest Hispanic people are enduring what they are enduring because they wish to pursue the American dream. They are doing so out of necessity and desperation.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Documented. But every country has their share of documented immigrants. That point is moot. 

When I think of immigration and the US... I immediately think of the southern border and the problems your country has there. It is fair to say that this is the crux of the immigration issue for the US in today's social climate. And as I tried to succinctly state in my last post, I don't think it is appropriate to suggest Hispanic people are enduring what they are enduring because they wish to pursue the American dream. They are doing so out of necessity and desperation.
    But they aren’t seeking a better life and opportunities, got it.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Not in the way you were asserting (the US and all its awesomeness is drawing people away from their home countries). 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

the point is, if Sweden was situated next to or in close proximity to Mexico or South American countries, you'd be seeing the same thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Wouldn't what you just described be a "fatter piece of the pie"? 
    In a way we are so welcoming. Many come because there are better opportunities. Mostly because the opportunities they have back home suck (as you pointed out), so yes, its better opportunities. 
    And our easy immigration laws definitely do attract immigrants. We have some of the easiest laws in the world, but are some of the most criticized for some reason. The idea of free education, free healthcare (if you abuse the system anyway), more rights than were they came from in many cases is definitely a factor.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

the point is, if Sweden was situated next to or in close proximity to Mexico or South American countries, you'd be seeing the same thing. 

Not only that... if there was a choice to be made between Sweden or the US... people would select either the country offering its citizens the 3rd highest quality of life or the country offering its citizens the 17th highest quality of life.

(both countries in good standing globally speaking)
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

In a way we are so welcoming. Many come because there are better opportunities. Mostly because the opportunities they have back home suck (as you pointed out), so yes, its better opportunities. 
    And our easy immigration laws definitely do attract immigrants. We have some of the easiest laws in the world, but are some of the most criticized for some reason. The idea of free education, free healthcare (if you abuse the system anyway), more rights than were they came from in many cases is definitely a factor.
    No.

Desperation does not equate to 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie'. Not in my mind anyways. What you are trying to encapsulate would also encompass Syrians fleeing missiles and gas as 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie' as well.

Leaving a stable home and lifestyle for an even better one is 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie'. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Not in the way you were asserting (the US and all its awesomeness is drawing people away from their home countries). 
    That was your own projection, we were just comparing the US and Sweden...

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Are Asians flocking to Sweden too?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Well come on... you were doing the "USA" chant.

I'll put it to rest. In good conscience I have to anyways- the outside is beckoning me and I've killed enough time procrastinating and drinking coffee.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Are Asians flocking to Sweden too?
    what is the perceived reason all of these asians are choosing the US over other countries do you think?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

No.

Desperation does not equate to 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie'. Not in my mind anyways. What you are trying to encapsulate would also encompass Syrians fleeing missiles and gas as 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie' as well.

Leaving a stable home and lifestyle for an even better one is 'seeking a fatter piece of the pie'. 
    I think of a better piece of the pie to include a better life, even if you're fleeing a hard one. Which would apply almost all of the time.
    I wouldn't argue that in most cases their life is hard and terrible, and living in poverty here is still a lot better than where they came from. But still the goal is to move to improve the quality of life. That is true for those fleeing horrible conditions to those seeking to make it rich.
    I get what youre saying though, fatter piece of the pie sometimes implies greed, I just don't always associate it with that. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907
    One day I d love to visit Sweden but Before that I ll probably visit Texas since it isn’t a hell of a lot cheaper. I think there are gorgeous parts in each country/state . Just my .02 cents.  Now way let the battle between ikea and the lone star state continue. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Documented. But every country has their share of documented immigrants. That poingest Hispanic people are enduring what they are enduring because they wish to pursue the American dream. They are doing so out of necessity and desperation.

Well come on... you were doing the "USA" chant.

I'll put it to rest. In good conscience I have to anyways- the outside is beckoning me and I've killed enough time procrastinating and drinking coffee.
    You’ve got it wrong, but have a great day outside regardless!  I’m stuck working indoors today :(

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907
    Del, a Canadian gave me a $5 tip in Canadian money. What is that worth in the u.s? Thirty of forty cents?  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.