America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    In Sweden, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 1.60

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 11.30

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

http://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/united-states/sweden

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

yeah, what a shithole country. LOL
    I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.
    I know you didn't, I was using your president's terminology. 

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
    I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.

Ah yes.

The 'American Dream' corporations have sold to the people: all this can be yours!

Capitalists saw how effective religions were attracting people to their way of thinking by promising things that seem so damn awesome. They developed their own mantra and the people fell in line.

The only people realizing the 'American Dream' in America these days are the people born into one.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?
    what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

I'd rather wait for a few hours than have to remortgage my house. 
    What house? The mortgage on my 2400 square foot house with a large backyard is pretty much payed off and probably did not cost a hundredth of what it would cost anywhere in Sweden?  And, I could probably afford to go to Sweden for a visit any time I want.  And no, my income isn’t crazy stupid high (maybe it would be to someone in Sweden though).
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?
    what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

What house? The mortgage on my 2400 square foot house with a large backyard is pretty much payed off and probably did not cost a hundredth of what it would cost anywhere in Sweden? 
    once again, in Sweden housing costs 41% LESS than in the US. I think you are reading your link's info backwards. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

What house? The mortgage on my 2400 square foot house with a large backyard is pretty much payed off and probably did not cost a hundredth of what it would cost anywhere in Sweden? 
    What are you basing this on?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

once again, in Sweden housing costs 41% LESS than in the US. I think you are reading your link's info backwards. 
    Yes, but income is far lower and that is pretty standard across ALL of Sweden.  In the US, there are plenty of options other than the high priced cities to live and work.
    Another reason Sweden would be better compared to single states than the whole country.
    Anyways, to each their own, I’m sure Sweden is a great place to live (during the Summer anyway).
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Yes, but income is far lower and that is pretty standard across ALL of Sweden.  In the US, there are plenty of options other than the high priced cities to live and work.

do the math. 

13% lower income in sweden
    41% higher housing costs than sweden

yes, there are many other factors at play, but man, in my opinion, Sweden for the win. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

You are saying that Sweden only have high prices cities to live and work in?

What do you work with? How much do you make, before and after taxes?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    There is an actual debate where someone is suggesting the US has a higher standard of living than Sweden?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

yes, there are many other factors at play, but man, in my opinion, Sweden for the win. 
    Well when you are averaging in million dollar condos in cities...Comparing Sweden to the US is apples and oranges is the main point of this all.  They do not even compare in diversity or size (land and population).  Not even close.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,049
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

Well when you are averaging in million dollar condos in cities...Comparing Sweden to the US is apples and oranges is the main point of this all.  They do not even compare in diversity or size (land and population).  Not even close.
    Why are you comparing then?

Just concede. No need to  Roy Moore-ing this.

And

1.6 gun related deaths per 100.000 is better than 11. And still people hunt without any problems. Even though you think no hunters exist in Sweden.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

Well when you are averaging in million dollar condos in cities...Comparing Sweden to the US is apples and oranges is the main point of this all.

I'm being ignored and I don't care.

Comparing Sweden to the US is not apples to oranges. It's more like apples to durian (not fully... but 'more' like).
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
    I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.

Ah yes.

The 'American Dream' corporations have sold to the people: all this can be yours!

Capitalists saw how effective religions were attracting people to their way of thinking by promising things that seem so damn awesome. They developed their own mantra and the people fell in line.

The only people realizing the 'American Dream' in America these days are the people born into one.
    Then why do so many people flock here if not for better opportunities than they have elsewhere?

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Then why do so many people flock here if not for better opportunities than they have elsewhere?

Convenience.

The country next to a cartel ravaged country is America. That makes America a very attractive to people looking for a safe and normal life.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

That is a pointless argument.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

And

1.6 gun related deaths per 100.000 is better than 11. And still people hunt without any problems. Even though you think no hunters exist in Sweden.
    Because you were comparing, and I was pointing out why the comparisons are dumb.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

And

Because you were comparing, and I was pointing out why the comparisons are dumb.
    You were pointing it out with made-up ignorant bs? Like... alternative facts? :P

Ah, now I understand.

Well, at least you beat communist japan in WW2!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

No, I am not saying Sweden only have high priced cities to live and work in, but that the crazy high prices in some cities in the US skew that stat a bit when comparing the two countries.  
    You go first, how much do you make before and after taxes?

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

No, I am not saying Sweden only have high priced cities to live and work in, but that the crazy high prices in some cities in the US skew that stat a bit when comparing the two countries.  

i think the problem here is you are comparing YOUR personal quality of life vs what you observe as the quality of life of all swedes, instead of all americans vs all swedes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

do the math. 

And

You were pointing it out with made-up ignorant bs? Like... alternative facts? :P

Ah, now I understand.

Well, at least you beat communist japan in WW2!
    What made up ignorant facts? And what point are you trying to make with WW2?  If you are attacking my integrity, we can always go back to talking about adults living with their parents...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

The country next to a cartel ravaged country is America. That makes America a very attractive to people looking for a safe and normal life.
    Lol, okay then...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

i think the problem here is you are comparing YOUR personal quality of life vs what you observe as the quality of life of all swedes, instead of all americans vs all swedes. 
    I think that the problem also is that you go to the opposite end of the spectrum regarding quality of life.  But again it is pretty ridiculous to compare a the way a country of 10 million governs vs a country of 324 million.  

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

My point was to compare what you make in your proffession to here. I don't think we do the same work. But okey sure:

I work as a "junior" Art Director/Graphic designer. Full time (40h/w) I make 35.000 SEK ($3850) (I have chose to work 80% for the moment though). After taxes (25%) that results in 26.250 SEK ($2900).

Don't need to pay any health insurance.

And sometimes I take a "fika". 

And I have only seen one privately owned gun in my entire life, my dads old shotgun which he used for HUNTING (it is not banned). No 11 per 100.000 here.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Largest immigrant class in the USA the last decade is Asian

Anyway, keep up the lively debate lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...

Are you serious with this response?

Do you think Mexican people (and Central/South American for that matter) are leaving their countries for the US because they simply pursue a change of pace... or maybe a fatter piece of the pie? And that they leave everything behind because the US is so welcoming and there is very little risk?

Wow. No wonder Trump got elected.

There's very little opportunity in Mexico. In many situations, young men can get a job at an all-inclusive serving fat Americans, join an ill-equipped military or an under-funded police force... or they can join a cartel and buy cars, carry pistols and date young women.

Young families that do not want that future for their young sons give up everything they own to seek a better life for their children. They do so on foot and they hike to the nearest country that might be able to afford them this: that's the US... who, coincidentally, fuels the drug trade in Mexico by comprising the bulk of the consumer base (contributing at least in part to the social epidemic Mexico currently endures). 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

My point was to compare what you make in your proffession to here. I don't think we do the same work. But okey sure:

I work as a "junior" Art Director/Graphic designer. Full time (40h/w) I make 35.000 SEK ($3850) (I have chose to work 80% for the moment though). After taxes (25%) that results in 26.250 SEK ($2900).

And I have only seen one privately owned gun in my entire life, my dads old shotgun which he used for HUNTING (it is not banned). No 11 per 100.000 here.
    And how much (roughly) would one pay for, let’s say, a 1,500 square foot house where you live?

• Options
    my2hands said:

That doesn’t sound very “convenient”, lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

And how much (roughly) would one pay for, let’s say, a 1,500 square foot house where you live?

Square foot? Stop speaking like you're from medieval times. 

The metric system was invented for a reason. What is that in m2?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Square foot? Stop speaking like you're from medieval times. 

The metric system was invented for a reason. What is that in m2?
    Roughly 140 m2, I’m guessing.  And I will agree there.  The standard in the US is not metric and I do wish it was.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Legal immigrants.

The US- which is within its rights to do- can pick and choose which people it will allow entry. Professionals are the immigrant of choice and if someone has credentials which might best serve the US in some capacity (eg. the medical field)... they're the preferred candidate.

Looking at the medical industry (from my example above)... the US is desirable for these types of people who stand to benefit financially far more than what they might in their home country. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Ah yes.

Convenience.

Lol, okay then...
    Do you really, honest-to-god, think that people only immigrate to the US? 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.