Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,051
    edited August 2018
    In Sweden, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 1.60

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 
    2015: 11.30

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,640

In the United States, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    And where just about anyone can get a gun. Even two if they prefer.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/28/us/jacksonville-madden-shooter-katz-mental-health-invs/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    Jacksonville shooting suspect underwent psychiatric treatment, bought guns legally - Baltimore Sun https://apple.news/Abah7veo9Q5uoj3D476KsDw
    Great country can’t help the mentally unstable but no problem buying guns !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

http://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/united-states/sweden

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    Well, I guess if I ever want to be broke, live in a society with little cultural diversity, never go hunting, get stuck in a triage any time I visit the doctor, I will move to Sweden...Not packing my bags quite yet.  Until then, yes, I will enjoy my American freedom.

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

yeah, what a shithole country. LOL
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

not to mention live longer, and have a 55% LESS CHANCE OF DYING IN INFANCY. pay 50% less for housing, and 40% less for child care. 

I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Heaven forbid that people might be governed competently. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

I didn’t say it was a “shithole country”.  I actually love many aspects of Sweden.  I just am not in a race to pack my bags and move there quite yet.  I think I would feel a bit too “governed” in Sweden.  Not to mention, I like a variety in my cross country road trips.  Sweden would be better compared to a single state in the US than the whole country, culturally and population wise.
    I know you didn't, I was using your president's terminology. 

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

I was amazed at the infant death thing. Like, why do so many infants die in the US? that number is staggering. 

"too governed"? I have this feeling that a lot of americans feel free simply because they are told they are, not because it's fact. if by "governed" you mean that there are more services available for everyone to enjoy, then yes, I suppose that might be the case. But I don't know if you'd necessarily "feel" it. You (in general) might bitch about your taxes, but I'm of the line of thinking that I'd be more than happy to pay more taxes if it meant my community was stronger, more people could afford to live comfortably, etc. 

I'm not looking for a communist state by any means, but if more money is put into the pool to elevate everyone and not just the rich, I'm all for it. 
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the infant mortality rate as well, but again, there are so many factors that could be contributed when comparing such vastly different countries in terms of population and cultural diversity.  If I was going to research it, I would probably start by getting stats related to the causes of death. I am all about helping people along that truly need it, but do not want to live in a welfare state (which Sweden is often referred to).

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests? 60% as a matter of fact.

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?

But I guess 11 dead per 100.000 by gun deaths is better than 1.6 in this freedom of yours.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Why would you be broke? What do you work with - executing death penalties, sewing ku klux klan-costumes or a coal mining startup? maybe you will have a problem finding those kind of jobs, but the good thing is that if you are unemployed you get economic aid.

What kind of cultural diversity do you have that impact your life, that we lack?

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

I don't know what "triage" means. Does it mean paying $100.000 if you need care after an heart attack? Or is that the US system?
    what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Yeah, the "too governed" thing is a crock. Given their litigious nature, American society has rules upon regulations upon bylaws. I feel far more free, and demonstrably am more free, when traveling or living in Europe than in the US.
    I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE
    America is a violent society.  It should be obvious as day and night.  They are worshipping a war monger this week?? That tells a lot about their way of thinking...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Why would you not be hunting? Roughly 3% of Swedens population have a "hunting permit". You do know large areas of our country is covered in forests?

what he means here by triage is basically you've been seen by a nurse, lying on a bed somewhere, sometimes in a hallway, waiting a long time to see a doctor. 
    Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

I would say that “freedom” is subjective to everyone’s individual interpretations.  There are way more opportunities to choose the course of your life and “follow your dreams” in the US than in Sweden.
    Are you absolutely sure about that, or is this just what you're taught to believe? Because I don't believe that to be true. 

Edit: Unless your "dream" is to become a mass shooter. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

You have really been drinking the koolaid. 

What opportunities to "follow your dream" exist in the US that doesn't exist in Sweden? What dreams are you following?

Right now, you are like a caricature of the "I love my country, because my country is all I know" american :)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Sometimes you have to wait. Like in most countries. It could be better. Like with all things. 

But it must be better to have to sometime wait but survive, then to die? Sweden, in saving patients is in this study 4th place - the US, what place do they have? Not a good sign for people coming in with gun wounds.

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

I'd rather wait for a few hours than have to remortgage my house. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

I'm not sure if it's a live vs die comparison, rather a wait (Sweden/Canada) vs go bankrupt (US) scenario.

Well that is a comparison for 32 treatable things, and Sweden is a better place to be treated for those things than the US. If you don't want to die. Or go bankrupt. But yes, for some things you have to wait, but not in a "Fox news reported" kind of way. And it is something being debated right now in Sweden (election here in mid September)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Really only those who go bankrupt are those without insurance.
    I hate our system, so I'm not saying its great. But no one with insurance pays 100k in medical bills. Most plans have a max out of pocket in the 5-10k range (meaning after 5k the insurance pays for all the bills), and hospitals will work with you to pay that off in installments if needed. 
    My biggest complaint is with our cost of monthly premiums, everything should be free. We could probably run socialized medicine with just the cost of our premiums, and not have to pay $3,000 for a hospital visit on top of that.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Triage is what is supposed to happen in medicine. It’s what allows people to get to the right medical care. One of the faults of the American system is that anyone can go see any medical specialist, if they can pay of course. But Joe on the street doesn’t know what medical care he needs, so why is the decision who he sees up to Joe? If Joe has chest pain, he probably thinks he needs to go see a cardiologist, but Joe doesn’t actually know if his chest pain is cardiac, respiratory, or GI in origin, so he wastes time and money finding an answer. Triage improves care, and lack of it leads to worse care.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

I hate our system, so I'm not saying its great. But no one with insurance pays 100k in medical bills. Most plans have a max out of pocket in the 5-10k range (meaning after 5k the insurance pays for all the bills), and hospitals will work with you to pay that off in installments if needed. 
    My biggest complaint is with our cost of monthly premiums, everything should be free. We could probably run socialized medicine with just the cost of our premiums, and not have to pay $3,000 for a hospital visit on top of that.
    well 5-10K is a LOT for my family. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

How much is insurance per month? 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Yes, the US spends more on health care than any other country and gets far worse results. Americans express horror at what they perceive would be the high taxes they would face if they had a proper health care system, but you are already paying more than that in a combination of taxes, contributions to your health insurance, co-pays and bills for things that aren’t covered. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Are you absolutely sure about that, or is this just what you're taught to believe? Because I don't believe that to be true. 

There are a ton more educational/career opportunities in the US than in Sweden.  You would be naive to say otherwise.  Right now, I am free to choose to go to whatever doctor I want, go to hundreds if not thousands of different universities, eat what I want whenever I want, hunt and fish a variety of species, send my child to whatever school I want, take vacations because I can choose to live in a place where cost of living is low and wages and income is good, tons of options of sporting events without having to travel abroad (if that is your thing).  There is no government alcohol monopoly...Many of things directly correlate to not living on an Island, so maybe comparing Sweden to Hawaii would be a more apples to apples approach.

If your dream is to live in your mom’s basement or in poverty in general, then Sweden may be your place.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

well 5-10K is a LOT for my family. 
    Mine too, and most. But my point was most wouldn't go bankrupt over it. Hospitals would rather you pay $100 a month for a few years than go bankrupt. So it's a huge burden and pain, but there's no reason to go bankrupt if you have insurance. 
    Those who complain about the 100k hospital bills don't have insurance.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

There are a ton more educational/career opportunities in the US than in Sweden.  You would be naive to say otherwise.  Right now, I am free to choose to go to whatever doctor I want, go to hundreds if not thousands of different universities, eat what I want whenever I want, hunt and fish a variety of species, send my child to whatever school I want, take vacations because I can choose to live in a place where cost of living is low and wages and income is good, tons of options of sporting events without having to travel abroad (if that is your thing).  There is no government alcohol monopoly...Many of things directly correlate to not living on an Island, so maybe comparing Sweden to Hawaii would be a more apples to apples approach.

dude, in the link you provided, the cost of living on average is 18% HIGHER IN THE US THAN IT IS IN SWEDEN. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

How much is insurance per month? 
    I pay about $800 out of my paychek and my employer contributes about $1200. So total is about 2 grand a month on premiums. And a doctor visit can still cost hundreds or even thousands on top of that (not a regular checkup, but say ER for a broken arm or something not even life threatening)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Haha. Sounds like you've really forced yourself to come up with things. Most of which are bullshit. And most also boils down to "we are a bigger country (so we have more pizza places and there are more highways to choose to drive down)". But keep yourself draped in your flag. ONE NATION UNDER GOD.

(How many weeks paid vacation do you Americans have by the way (compared to us Swedes who you say can't afford to have vacations?)?)
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

LAND 
    OF
    THE 
    FREE

Yes, the US spends more on health care than any other country and gets far worse results. Americans express horror at what they perceive would be the high taxes they would face if they had a proper health care system, but you are already paying more than that in a combination of taxes, contributions to your health insurance, co-pays and bills for things that aren’t covered. 
    I completely agree with you. I wouldn't have about 10 years ago when my premiums were under $100 a month. But the cost has exploded way beyond normal inflation rates. But it makes no sense to pay what we pay, and still have costs above that.
This discussion has been closed.