Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
    The high school shooting in Dixon Illinois that got foiled made almost no headlines, there was virtually no chatter about that at all.
     It was stopped by a cop. Good.  Don't we expect cops to do that?  Remember much of the arguing here is about assault rifles and arming teachers. 
    most of the foiled attempts don't get mentioned at all
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Unsung and Ryme, please try to follow your own talking points.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like Trump supporters aren’t the only responsible gun owners until they’re not...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/18/politics/trump-golf-course-shots-fired/index.html
    I don’t care what political affiliation they have. Just that “responsible” gun owners typically are until they’re not. And that there’s way too many of them.

Left wing terrorist...
     They are just terrorists,  regardless of the motive.  The posters here have generally been consistent with their objection to some if not all weapons.  No one has argued for partisan gun ownership.  
    I agree that no one is arguing for partisan gun ownership on here, but let's be honest.  I do think there is a heavy undertone that much of America's gun problem is rooted in right-wing, Trump supporting, toothless, redneck, NRA supporting, God Bless 'Murica bumper sticker sporting gun owners.  That descriptions is typically not directed at the left. 
    I agree. I find it funny how it is acceptable to stereotype the right. No other group would that be acceptable. I'm sure many are out there, but I know many gun owners, and none of them talk like or look like that. 

Right, because no one, including on this thread, ever stereotypes the left.....
    They do. I never said they don't.  But it is not acceptable to do so. They are immediately called out and a thread war begins over it.
    Stereotyping the right is acceptable though.
    How little to no backlash has there been tpo calling gun owners toothless, illiterate redneck? Now if we accused the left of equally negative and untrue stereotypes there'd be 5 pages of responses. 
    If there was balance between left and right on these boards, this would be correct.

The majority of posters here lean left. If you went to a site where the majority of posters habituate on the right side of the spectrum you'd see different reactions like stereotyping the left.
    I don't think so. You don't have to go back far to see numerous comparisons of gun owners to rednecks, illiterate, small penis, incest, toothless rednecks. And it is acceptable to do so, many probably actually believe it..
    Do you really think if the majority leaned right and abortion was brought up that it would be acceptable to say pro-lifers just want abortion because they can't keep their pants on around their sister and are too dumb to read directions on birth control labels? Almost mno one would support that accusation. 
    Yes I know Rush Limbaugh called a girl a slut because she wanted more birth control, but he got backlash from both sides. I'm not saying no one would ever say it, I'm just saying it is completely acceptable when stereotyping the left. Not just on here, look at FB posts during the elections. It is completely acceptable to stereotype one side with negative characteristics. 
    I can't remember anyone accusing all Hilary supporters of things like that, but even Hilary herself and many, many of her supporters lump all Trump supporters into one negative group. So its okay to stereotype the right and call them/us rednecks and illiterate and toothless and everything else. There is definitely some irony in that. 
    maybe not here, but on social media I see stereotyping of the left all the damn time. probably just as much, if not more than the right. you saw PJPOWER's post up there? Yes, he was joking, but that is EXACTLY the type of rhetoric I see all the time. Don't forget about "safe spaces", "adult coloring books", "the tolerant left", etc, etc. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243

President Trump, speaking at an unrelated event, just spoke about the shooting at Santa Fe High School. He said shootings like today's have "been going on too long in our country" and said his administration was "determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves, and to others."

Here are his full remarks:

I have to begin by expressing our sadness and heart break over the deadly shooting at Santa fe high school in Texas, just took place moments ago. We're closely monitoring the situation and federal authorities are coordinating with local officials. This has been going on too long in our country. Too many years, too many decades now, we grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our support and love to everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack to the students, families, teachers and personnel at Santa fe high. We're with you in this tragic hour and we will be with you forever. My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves, and to others. Everyone must work together at every level of government to keep our children safe. May god heal the injured and may god comfort the wounded and may god be with the victims and with the victims’ families. Very sad day.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:

President Trump, speaking at an unrelated event, just spoke about the shooting at Santa Fe High School. He said shootings like today's have "been going on too long in our country" and said his administration was "determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves, and to others."

Here are his full remarks:

I have to begin by expressing our sadness and heart break over the deadly shooting at Santa fe high school in Texas, just took place moments ago. We're closely monitoring the situation and federal authorities are coordinating with local officials. This has been going on too long in our country. Too many years, too many decades now, we grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our support and love to everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack to the students, families, teachers and personnel at Santa fe high. We're with you in this tragic hour and we will be with you forever. My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves, and to others. Everyone must work together at every level of government to keep our children safe. May god heal the injured and may god comfort the wounded and may god be with the victims and with the victims’ families. Very sad day.
    Wow, I forgot how nice it feels to have someone who acts like an adult in charge of our country.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    You realize that was probably written by someone else,,
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    I'm not so sure. He should have the script down by now. There have been enough shootings. The only reason I thought he was being prompted was the repeated mention of God at the end. That seemed out of context for him.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    at least eight confirmed dead
    This is f’n ridiculous. Since when did schools become one of the least safe places in this country? It scares the shit out of me as a parent with 2 young children. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    This is f’n ridiculous. Since when did schools become one of the least safe places in this country? It scares the shit out of me as a parent with 2 young children. 
    When emotionally troubled teens gained access to firearms from parents and relatives who don't secure them properly.
  • Options
    Of course, and while any past POTUS could have easily written this speech, or even given it extemporaneously, I honestly don't think our current one could put this together.  

I'm just glad to see that he put his ego aside for once and delivered prepared remarks rather than thinking (falsely, oh so very falsely) that he is smart enough to deliver cogent and respectful sentiments off the cuff.
  • Options
    It's anywhere and anytime these days.We have had several mid day robberies in houses, stores and restaurants locally. Its getting to the point of having to barricade schools like a prison.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    When emotionally troubled teens gained access to firearms from parents and relatives who don't secure them properly.
    I think troubled youth with access to guns has always been there.  The same troubled youth taking it to this level seems to be more recent and getting worse.  Is it part of being a copycat society?  I don’t know. I’m genuinely trying to understand what the fuck is going on out there. This is ridiculous. 
  • Options
    Ive said it hundreds of times. Parenting. We didnt have this shit when I was a kid because your parents wouldnt allow it. These days too many kids are born without parents that keep up with them. Social media, of course, is also a big difference.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Ive said it hundreds of times. Parenting. We didnt have this shit when I was a kid because your parents wouldnt allow it. These days too many kids are born without parents that keep up with them. Social media, of course, is also a big difference.
    Good points. 
  • Options
    We had a local story go " Viral"..Guys kid was bullying another kid on the bus.Dad got wind of it and made his kid run to school in the rain next day. People actually called it cruel punishment.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Parents have always been neglectful and abusive and blah blah blah.  
    That's not an explanation that's a blame shift that people with grown kids are comfortable slinging because it conveniently absolves them of any blame.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    unsung said:
    RYME said:
    The high school shooting in Dixon Illinois that got foiled made almost no headlines, there was virtually no chatter about that at all.
    Doesn't fit their radical agenda.
    What’s the “radical” agenda and who’s pushing it?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I think troubled youth with access to guns has always been there.  The same troubled youth taking it to this level seems to be more recent and getting worse.  Is it part of being a copycat society?  I don’t know. I’m genuinely trying to understand what the fuck is going on out there. This is ridiculous. 
    Definitely a copy cat type of mentality. So many others have done it now, that it's common knowledge. When I was 12 years old there was never a mention or thought about someone coming to the school with a gun. The only thing that ever happened was some dipshit calling in the fake bomb threat and evacuating to the Community Center for hours. No one worried about guns in schools. The bigger concern was stranger danger and guys in panel vans offering you candy, but even that was exaggerated. Open door schools with no security. Now we have both and the problem is still out of control.
  • Options
    Now there may be explosives.

Possible explosives found at school and off campus, district says

Possible explosive devices have been found at Santa Fe High School and off campus, the Santa Fe Independent School District tweeted.

The district said the school was evacuated, as law enforcement officials worked to render the devices safe.

#UPDATE Possible explosive devices have been located at the school and off campus. Law enforcement is in the process of rendering them safe. School has been evacuated. Call 911 if you see any suspicious item. #HouNews #SantaFeISD

• Options
    rgambs said:
    That's not an explanation that's a blame shift that people with grown kids are comfortable slinging because it conveniently absolves them of any blame.

No. Its a trait that my parents taught me and I taught my now adult kids. You are responsible for your own actions. My job is to make sure you know right from wrong.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Smellyman said:
    Right on cue.  Make a point about the topic once in a while.  Commenting on commenters again.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    rgambs said:

No. Its a trait that my parents taught me and I taught my now adult kids. You are responsible for your own actions. My job is to make sure you know right from wrong.
    Is there any actual evidence parents are parenting less? I thought this was the age of helicopter parenting. No one can do anything on their own and are being tracked on phones by GPS. I disappeared for hours as a kid. I think parenting is actually more intensive and intrusive now than it ever has been.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    edited May 2018
    maybe the thoughts and prayers should become before the next shooting? let's start giving thoughts and prayers to every school to prevent it (insert sarcasm emoji).  can't wait to see which responsible gun owner let this kid have access to a gun.

edit: i shouldn't be joking about this and the response.  It's just horrible and sickening that this happens anywhere let alone in schools.  
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    Right on cue.  Make a point about the topic once in a while.  Commenting on commenters again.
    I asked what your point was in relation to gun violence?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Is there any actual evidence parents are parenting less? I thought this was the age of helicopter parenting. No one can do anything on their own and are being tracked on phones by GPS. I disappeared for hours as a kid. I think parenting is actually more intensive and intrusive now than it ever has been.

tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

None I am aware of. Just a theory.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    rgambs said:

And my response is, so what? 
    Just like everyone else you went to school with dozens of kids that had parents that didn't do the same for them, parents that dropped the ball in every way.  How many of them shot up a school?  It's really not possible that it is so simple.
    The kids doing these things know what they are doing is wrong, they know right from wrong and they know they won't get away with it, they know they will be responsible for their actions.  They still do it. 
    Not so simple.
  • Options
    I would think it's  harder to be a kid with privacy these days. I wouldnt want cell phone for that reason. I would turn the gps off and get grounded weekly.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    You realize all presidents have had speech writers
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

And my response is, so what? 
    Just like everyone else you went to school with dozens of kids that had parents that didn't do the same for them, parents that dropped the ball in every way.  How many of them shot up a school?  It's really not possible that it is so simple.
    The kids doing these things know what they are doing is wrong, they know right from wrong and they know they won't get away with it, they know they will be responsible for their actions.  They still do it. 
    Not so simple.
       Never had or remember a shooting at school..So you are saying its amount of guns and access?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I would think it's  harder to be a kid with privacy these days. I wouldnt want cell phone for that reason. I would turn the gps off and get grounded weekly.
    That's my son's strategy.  It isn't working well for him. 
This discussion has been closed.