Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I am an American and I do not like guns. We were taught to walk with our keys in our fist for protection and in the home there's some kind of blunt object. At no point was guns ever brought into the equation.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Well, this is exciting. Should make my daily commute more stressful than it already is.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/us/arizona-interstate-shootings/index.html
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,204
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/white-missouri-woman-confronts-black-teens-and-almost-immediately-pulls-gun-yes-i-would-have-used-it/

Here is what "more guns" gets you. Every idiot has their own definition of a justifiable response.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/white-missouri-woman-confronts-black-teens-and-almost-immediately-pulls-gun-yes-i-would-have-used-it/

Here is what "more guns" gets you. Every idiot has their own definition of a justifiable response.

A situation that could've easily gotten out of hand. Not nescessarily the best way to handle that that particular confrontation.....that kind of aggression can escalate out of hand in an instance.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,523

Whole lot of idiotic in that video.

Crazy parents and little shit kids.

'Murica! fuck yeah!
  • Options
    g under p said:

A situation that could've easily gotten out of hand. Not nescessarily the best way to handle that that particular confrontation.....that kind of aggression can escalate out of hand in an instance.

Peace

yep....which is exactly why we will reach critical mass on gun ownership. We are just at the tip of the iceberg on killings.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,059
    guy in a wheel chair defends himself from a burglar (yeah good guys!):
    http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/01/rockland-homeowner-shoots-intruder/
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
  • Options
    another one where the good guy ones:
    Police say a Norfolk pizza delivery driver turned the tables on a teen robbery suspect.

Officers were called to the 900 block of Galt Street around 9:30 p.m. Sunday for the report of a shooting.

The investigation revealed a 15-year-old tried to rob a Chanello’s pizza delivery driver at gunpoint. But, the driver also had a gun and shot the teen.

Investigators charged the 15-year-old with robbery and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He will remain at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital until he recovers from his injuries.
  • Options
    Yeah those are great stories. What would be greater is if we made it really hard to criminals to get guns.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Police say a Norfolk pizza delivery driver turned the tables on a teen robbery suspect.

Officers were called to the 900 block of Galt Street around 9:30 p.m. Sunday for the report of a shooting.

The investigation revealed a 15-year-old tried to rob a Chanello’s pizza delivery driver at gunpoint. But, the driver also had a gun and shot the teen.

Investigators charged the 15-year-old with robbery and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He will remain at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital until he recovers from his injuries.

And if this story doesn't show the rest of the civilized world just how FUCKED UP the USA is.....Then I don't know what does.

The 15 year old has a gun and is out committing armed robbery.
    The pizza driver is delivering pizza while being armed.
    And you think it is good guys VS bad guys.

Its just another pathetic story that shows something needs to be done...NOW

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

And if this story doesn't show the rest of the civilized world just how FUCKED UP the USA is.....Then I don't know what does.

Bad guy had gun good guy thankfully had one too and defended himself. Case closed.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Bad guy had gun good guy thankfully had one too and defended himself. Case closed.
    Case closed?
    Please.

The good ole USA.
    Pizza delivery guys come to work armed with handguns.

And you don't think there is a problem with this?
    In my eyes? This is PATHETIC. This is what we have come to? We cant do any better than this?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Ta
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Eh not so fast. If only robber had gun pizza guy looses 30 bills. Not sure of exact stat but vast majority of robberies aren't violent. Give crook money and go.

If everyone had a gun or robbers thought they had guns, they would simply shoot and kill then take.

One gun likely nothing happens. Two guns and someone will get hurt.

So in this case we'll pay thousands for ass's medical bills for the 30 bills.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah i have to agree with Speedy on this just the way it reads its totally fucked up delivery guys with guns , teen with guns it's just a mess .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    callen said:

Ta

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Eh not so fast. If only robber had gun pizza guy looses 30 bills. Not sure of exact stat but vast majority of robberies aren't violent. Give crook money and go.

If everyone had a gun or robbers thought they had guns, they would simply shoot and kill then take.

you assume that nothing would have happened but how can one be sure? I'm glad the good guy one this time around.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    "Good guy"
    "Bad guy"
    Twice in the last two years local newspapers have run stories about good guys who stopped bad guys by shooting them dead.
    The first one ended up being a love triangle gone bad.
    In the second one a "home invader picked the wrong house"... except he ended up being a black guy in a hick neighborhood who's car broke down. He knocked on the door too hard and then ran when a guy answered with a gun, never made it to the sidewalk.

I don't trust most of these "good guy" stories.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callen said:

Ta

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

exactly....it isn't hard to see where doing nothing leads us. At some point we won't leave our homes unless we are armed and we just take aim at every person we come in contact with to make sure we take them out before they take us out.

• Options
    callen said:

Ta

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

How the f**k did I get tossed into this?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

callen said:

Ta

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

How the f**k did I get tossed into this?
    Pipe down thirty :smiley:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Because this guy had a gun for... Wait for it..: PROTECTION! And it worked. Case closed.

• Options
    rgambs said:

"Good guy"
    "Bad guy"
    Twice in the last two years local newspapers have run stories about good guys who stopped bad guys by shooting them dead.
    In the second one a "home invader picked the wrong house"... except he ended up being a black guy in a hick neighborhood who's car broke down. He knocked on the door too hard and then ran when a guy answered with a gun, never made it to the sidewalk.

I guess because it doesn't work for your "guns are bad" theory?
  • Options

rgambs said:

"Good guy"
    "Bad guy"

I guess because it doesn't work for your "guns are bad" theory?
    No, because there is inherent confirmation bias in such an event.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Because this guy had a gun for... Wait for it..: PROTECTION! And it worked. Case closed.

bingo!!!!!!

just a girl i posted these numbers in one of the many gun threads on here lol. check them out, especially bullet one and three.

pretty crazy stats I just found: (https://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp)
    * Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1997 U.S. Justice Department survey of 14,285 state prison inmates found that among those inmates who carried a firearm during the offense for which they were sent to jail, 0.7% obtained the firearm at a gun show, 1% at a flea market, 3.8% from a pawn shop, 8.3% from a retail store, 39.2% through an illegal/street source, and 39.6% through family or friends.[94]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[130]
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

bingo!!!!!!

just a girl i posted these numbers in one of the many gun threads on here lol. check them out, especially bullet one and three.

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1997 U.S. Justice Department survey of 14,285 state prison inmates found that among those inmates who carried a firearm during the offense for which they were sent to jail, 0.7% obtained the firearm at a gun show, 1% at a flea market, 3.8% from a pawn shop, 8.3% from a retail store, 39.2% through an illegal/street source, and 39.6% through family or friends.[94]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[130]
    now that's research ! but the anti gun folks will still see the glass half empty.
    exlent post Mcgruff10

Godfather.

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

bingo!!!!!!

now that's research ! but the anti gun folks will still see the glass half empty.
    exlent post Mcgruff10

Godfather.

My friend no joke, I love to research. The 2000 stat is way higher than I could have imagined. I ll look for more recent years, hopefully they are available.
  • Options
    I just read an article on the local news, a san diego woman was texting and driving 85 Mph on the 405 frwy and rear ended a small car killing the driver a young high school girl, she had sent 13 texts in 15 min's just before her phone rang and she answered it right at the point of impact (she was just sentanced to 6 years in prison), so Im wondering how many people are killed everyday due to texting and driving ? I know a kid who totalled his dads excursion when he was on the 5 frwy in lake elsanor he said he looked down to answer a text and that fast he was smashed up on the k-rail in the center devide.
    yes you get my point right ? how many cell phones kill innocent people daily ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,019

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

bingo!!!!!!

exlent post Mcgruff10

Godfather.

I think they see the glass as half full, but it's full of bacteria and we have to do something about it NOW!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

I just read an article on the local news, a san diego woman was texting and driving 85 Mph on the 405 frwy and rear ended a small car killing the driver a young high school girl, she had sent 13 texts in 15 min's just before her phone rang and she answered it right at the point of impact (she was just sentanced to 6 years in prison), so Im wondering how many people are killed everyday due to texting and driving ? I know a kid who totalled his dads excursion when he was on the 5 frwy in lake elsanor he said he looked down to answer a text and that fast he was smashed up on the k-rail in the center devide.

Godfather.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/study-texting-while-driving-now-leading-cause-of-death-for-teen-drivers-1.5226036

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

And that's why the government is taking steps to make cell phones safer by changing the laws...just like some folks want to do with guns.
This discussion has been closed.