Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    edited August 2015

First, tens of millions? Let's be realistic about that number. Second, just because alot of people do it something, doesn't mean it isn't immature.

What about people that live south of the mason Dixon line?

one in three americans own guns. you do the math. there are about 318 million people living in the us.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-three-americans-own-guns-culture-factor-study-finds-n384031
    always cite more than one source when proving something:
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/30/how-many-americans-own-guns-we-need-to-grab/
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mcgruff10 said:

First, tens of millions? Let's be realistic about that number. Second, just because alot of people do it something, doesn't mean it isn't immature.

one in three americans own guns. you do the math. there are about 318 million people living in the us.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-three-americans-own-guns-culture-factor-study-finds-n384031
    I was referring to the people that like to shoot guns the way gambsy was talking about. There's a huge difference between those people and simple gun owners.

Example: my brother owns 3 guns. He shoots each of them twice a year. He will fire each gun twice.
    My uncle owns around 13 guns. He shoots them every opportunity he gets. At anything. Trees, grass, dirt, bails of hay or anything you can put in front of him. Basically wasting ammo. My uncle is the type of person gambsy was referring to.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

oh sorry missed one....south of mason dixon line was referring to the post I quoted. very stereotypical of people living in the south. definitely doesn't resonate with the north east.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

oh sorry missed one....south of mason dixon line was referring to the post I quoted. very stereotypical of people living in the south. definitely doesn't resonate with the north east.
    I really wish there was an easier way to post the smileys. I knew what you were saying. I just couldn't put my bowed up chest and my worst southern accent in the post.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I really wish there was an easier way to post the smileys. I knew what you were saying. I just couldn't put my bowed up chest and my worst southern accent in the post.
    lol. got ya bud!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I was referring to the people that like to shoot guns the way gambsy was talking about. There's a huge difference between those people and simple gun owners.

Example: my brother owns 3 guns. He shoots each of them twice a year. He will fire each gun twice.
    My uncle owns around 13 guns. He shoots them every opportunity he gets. At anything. Trees, grass, dirt, bails of hay or anything you can put in front of him. Basically wasting ammo. My uncle is the type of person gambsy was referring to.
    well people that shoot like gambsy is referring too aren't exactly my cup of tea. no need to shoot shit up just to shoot shit up if you get my drift. the small minority of people will always ruin it for the masses in any system.
    i mean let's say there are 100 million americans that own gun....there's what...99,950,000 responsible gun owners? if not more?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

well people that shoot like gambsy is referring too aren't exactly my cup of tea. no need to shoot shit up just to shoot shit up if you get my drift. the small minority of people will always ruin it for the masses in any system.
    i mean let's say there are 100 million americans that own gun....there's what...99,950,000 responsible gun owners? if not more?
    I'd say that number is not accurate. But, how do you measure responsible?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'd say that number is not accurate. But, how do you measure responsible?
    you remind me of my ex wife....you argue every single detail even in the face of defeat. let's change tactics. how many out of 100 million are not responsible in your eyes? ok let's back track....99,900,000.... so 99.9% are responsible? ok let's go even further....99,800,000 are responsible gun owners......so 99.8 % are responsible?
    responsible defined? no crimes committed lol.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I wasn't stereotyping the south, I was referencing my experience in east central Ohio, where that type of person is truly a dime a dozen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I am not arguing every little detail. I'm arguing your entire premise that most gun owners are responsible. I don't know how many are responsible gun owners.

What am I being defeated in? This argument? How can I lose a subjective argument? I'm not throwing around numbers as fact.
  • Options
    I would not define a responsible gun owner as someone who hasn't committed a crime. Someone can easily be an irresponsible gun owner and not commit a crime. ANY gun owner who leaves his gun in his house unlocked with children in the house is an irresponsible gun owner.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I would not define a responsible gun owner as someone who hasn't committed a crime. Someone can easily be an irresponsible gun owner and not commit a crime. ANY gun owner who leaves his gun in his house unlocked with children in the house is an irresponsible gun owner.

Fine so 1,000,000 irresponsible Gun owners and 99% are responsible? (And one million is way high) The vast vast vast majority of gun owners are beyond responsible with kids in the house. And the vast majority of all gun owners are responsible. So according to you, what percentage of gun owners are irresponsible? So an unlocked gun is no good even if the ammo is secured? I think a loaded gun with no security is no good But in a safe is a ok.
  • Options
    I don't know. I've already said that. There is no way measure who is and who is not responsible. And having an unlocked gun in the house with children is one way someone could be irresponsible. Not the only way.
  • Options

Exactly. Everyone's responsible... until something happens.

Guns are supposed to be locked in a locker and separate from your ammunition. We've had people on here say they have their guns loaded and around the house- citing a locked up gun wouldn't be any use to them if the bad guys were getting them.

People are tossing statistics around... the likelihood of a home invasion is miniscule at best. To assume the risks attached to leaving a loaded gun lying around the house for the highly unlikely event of a home invasion is not only irresponsible... it's foolish.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Guns are supposed to be locked in a locker and separate from your ammunition. We've had people on here say they have their guns loaded and around the house- citing a locked up gun wouldn't be any use to them if the bad guys were getting them.

People are tossing statistics around... the likelihood of a home invasion is miniscule at best. To assume the risks attached to leaving a loaded gun lying around the house for the highly unlikely event of a home invasion is not only irresponsible... it's foolish.
    Not to mention the fact that it has been proven to INCREASE the chance of gun death for the owner of the gun.
  • Options

i agree with you thirty bills! in the event that a home invasion does occur i do have the means to protect my family as highly unlikely as it is.
    I don't understand how people with kids could leave loaded weapons accessible. I think I told you, all my ammo is locked away and every one of my rifles has a trigger lock on it. Those keys are then in a secure locker. Hell my bolt action rifles don't even have the bolts in them; they are stored separate too in a locked cabinet. The only weapon that has ammo and gun next to each other is my handgun which is in a locked cabinet. I'm the only one who has the key.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,486
    mcgruff10 said:

i agree with you thirty bills! in the event that a home invasion does occur i do have the means to protect my family as highly unlikely as it is.
    I don't understand how people with kids could leave loaded weapons accessible. I think I told you, all my ammo is locked away and every one of my rifles has a trigger lock on it. Those keys are then in a secure locker. Hell my bolt action rifles don't even have the bolts in them; they are stored separate too in a locked cabinet. The only weapon that has ammo and gun next to each other is my handgun which is in a locked cabinet. I'm the only one who has the key.
    More folks should be like you it sounds to me like you are super responsible with your weapons ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217

mcgruff10 said:

More folks should be like you it sounds to me like you are super responsible with your weapons ...
    Yep, I live in western PA where guns are huge. Almost every family I know, including my own, has guns and not a single one of them is this careful with them. My stepdad leaves his handgun on the kitchen table loaded many times, with my 11 and 12 year old sisters running around, and he's been doing it since they were much younger.
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yep, I live in western PA where guns are huge. Almost every family I know, including my own, has guns and not a single one of them is this careful with them. My stepdad leaves his handgun on the kitchen table loaded many times, with my 11 and 12 year old sisters running around, and he's been doing it since they were much younger.
    That is an example of an irresponsible gun owner in my opinion.
  • Options

RiotZact said:

mcgruff10 said:

Totally agree. That s nuts
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    mcgruff10 said:

RiotZact said:

mcgruff10 said:

Totally agree. That s nuts
    Yep, most of the people I know are more responsible than that but still not as much as you.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I figured as much. Good for you. Your confidence comes from your knowledge and understanding. You're not the person that has people lamenting gun ownership.
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

mcgruff10 said:

Thanks for being open with this. Good for you for recognizing the problem versus accepting and defending it.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I figured as much. Good for you. Your confidence comes from your knowledge and understanding. You're not the person that has people lamenting gun ownership.
    2nd time we agreed in twenty four hours!!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I was a little beer giddy last night. Today my guard is back up. I'm cautious right now thinking it might have just been a blip for us two adversaries. Time will tell... but I'm treading very carefully.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I was a little beer giddy last night. Today my guard is back up. I'm cautious right now thinking it might have just been a blip for us two adversaries. Time will tell... but I'm treading very carefully.
    I see how it is. Ok truce is over.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Not to mention the fact that it has been proven to INCREASE the chance of gun death for the owner of the gun.
    I hope all anti gunners are non smokers and hit the gym three to four times a week!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

I hope all anti gunners are non smokers and hit the gym three to four times a week!
    Non smoker. Work out every day but one. Eat oatmeal every morning except on weekends.

Do drink. No drugs. Never drive when drinking. Never drink to 'great' excess.

Crave Big Macs, but never give in to the cravings knowing how brutal they are (from the plant processing phase to the digestion phase).

I'd be one of the 'anti gunners', but I'm not really. I just wish your country could implement some common sense legislation that, in 20 years, might reflect a profound change in the amount of gun violence your country features per annum.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

That's totally a deflection and irrelevant. People don't smoke, eat bad, and laze out of a misguided attempt to protect themselves.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Non smoker. Work out every day but one. Eat oatmeal every morning except on weekends.

Do drink. No drugs. Never drive when drinking. Never drink to 'great' excess.

Crave Big Macs, but never give in to the cravings knowing how brutal they are (from the plant processing phase to the digestion phase).

I'd be one of the 'anti gunners', but I'm not really. I just wish your country could implement some common sense legislation that, in 20 years, might reflect a profound change in the amount of gun violence your country features per annum.
    Thirty bills I d call you by your first name but you never shared it with me so I ll call you joe.
    Joe, wjere are you from?!?!
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.