Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    edited August 2015

100% agree with you. No weapon just be unsecured when kids are around!!!<</i>/blockquote>

Your bottom line is indisputable.

Wow - my conclusions are indisputable today.

Now about that DP thread....

Did I miss something ? Dp thread?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:

100% agree with you. No weapon just be unsecured when kids are around!!!<</i>/blockquote>
    Your bottom line is indisputable.

Wow - my conclusions are indisputable today.

Now about that DP thread....

Did I miss something ? Dp thread?

Sorry; long running and usually amicable disagreement on the death penalty. Pay it no mind.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,197
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    are guns the pollutant or just the easiest way to "off" yourself? Decent reporting but if someone wants to commit suicide than they'll find the means to do it.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    mcgruff10 said:

are guns the pollutant or just the easiest way to "off" yourself? Decent reporting but if someone wants to commit suicide than they'll find the means to do it.
    Then we would need stricter rope,car and pharmaceutical laws.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    rr165892 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Then we would need stricter rope,car and pharmaceutical laws.
    pharmaceutical yes.

car-no
    rope-no
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    mcgruff10 said:

Gotta call bullshit on that, I know two people personally that tried to drink bleach to kill themselves, their both alive and well. If they would have had guns that exact moment they would be dead, period.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    RiotZact said:

mcgruff10 said:

Gotta call bullshit on that, I know two people personally that tried to drink bleach to kill themselves, their both alive and well. If they would have had guns that exact moment they would be dead, period.
    You are right that the lethality of guns means that far fewer people survive an attempt and have an opportunity to get treatment such that they are no longer suicidal. This is particularly true for teens, who may impulsively attempt suicide and then quickly regret it, if they live.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,428
    You should lobby for this in Ohio.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    @rgambs, sorry this is late, I've been occupado. can you please tell me how cars save lives? i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that one. and you said they save a lot of lives too. how exactly?
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited August 2015

@rgambs, sorry this is late, I've been occupado. can you please tell me how cars save lives? i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that one. and you said they save a lot of lives too. how exactly?

I can't think of a way to resolve a serious medical emergency without a car.
    How else do people get to the hospital?
    Your own car, or a car called an ambulance.
    If you include preventative care given when you drive to the hospital or doctor, it skyrockets.

Who lives within walking distance of a hospital? Who is going to walk to the hospital when they have a heart attack or stroke?
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,428
    edited August 2015
    How does that saying go?
    Blow away others before they do unto to you?

http://wiat.com/2015/08/12/church-opens-gun-range-ministry-in-the-name-of-jesus-christ/
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

How does that saying go?

http://wiat.com/2015/08/12/church-opens-gun-range-ministry-in-the-name-of-jesus-christ/

Hilarious. And scary.

I liked this bit: "We had quite a number of church members, some elderly ladies, for example, and some not so elderly women that had purchased guns, but didn’t know how to use them,” Guin said.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited August 2015

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

How does that saying go?

That s awesome! Initial purpose was gun safety then a means to get more people into church. Love it! The Catholic Church should do this.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    It was interesting reading the enthusiasm of the comments below.....how some aren't thinking what could go wrong. Jus Gotta hav it.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I would so tear the shit out of my legs with that apparatus hanging off the bed.And what would you do with it while you and your partner are................. Nevermind
  • Options
    Yeah if you're really that worried about someone storming your bedroom you should install a better door and deadbolt. Or just stay up all night locked and loaded.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    http://www.occupydemocrats.com/another-accident-2-year-old-fatally-shoots-dad-with-his-own-gun/

Another life lost while sleeping shot a 2 year old. Check out the video with kids taught NOT to touch a gun but take a look at what they actually do.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    That is a fucking crazy story. I heard clips of the woman reporting when the gun fire started. She starts screaming, then nothing. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Sounds like it might have been a disgruntled former employee of the station.

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,703

It was. So glad that I live in Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/world/two-virginia-television-journalists-fatally-shot-in-onair-attack-20150826-gj8mbo.html
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    E.K said:

It was. So glad that I live in Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/world/two-virginia-television-journalists-fatally-shot-in-onair-attack-20150826-gj8mbo.html
    Can you give us your perspective on process of gun control in your country and how you feel your fellow citizens felt during increased regulation and now? Thanks.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,018
    edited August 2015

I'm curious about this, as well. I seem to recall an Australian YouTube video warning the American public about how gun control in Australia was a failure, how only criminals had guns, how violent crime was on the rise and how difficult it is to restore rights once removed.

I'd love to hear another perspective.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited August 2015
    I personally think the biggest problem with guns in America is not regulation, but the gun culture. I mean, guns seem to be an obvious choice for Americans if they are worried about anything. That is not normal in the rest of the developed world. Most people's minds just don't go there in other places. In the US: Recent spat of break-ins = get a gun. Lady gets mugged on the train = get a gun. Terrorist attack anywhere in the nation = get a gun. Have children you want to protect = get a gun. Mass shooting anywhere in the country = get a gun. This is simply not where people's minds turn in Canada, UK, Australia, Western Europe, Asia. Instead they talk about it on the news to ask people to be more aware of the danger and of their surroundings while the particular problem is being investigated and hopefully resolved, people keep an extra eye out, some might buy better locks or motion detector lights or something, perhaps some women decide to keep some kind of inconspicuous protective weapon in their purses, like pepper spray or something, etc etc etc. People outside of the US simply don't generally tend to feel scared or fanatical enough to even consider getting a gun for anything other than hunting or target practice (criminals aside). Americans (obviously generalizing here) are obsessed with guns, plain and simple. That's why they are so fanatically protective of their right to attain them. Until that kind of mindset changes, nothing else will.
    That said, of course better regulation would help. I think people should have to jump through some pretty extreme hoops to get guns legally. The illegal gun problem is another story, and much more difficult, which again comes around to the culture aspect.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    PJ_Soul said:

I personally think the biggest problem with guns in America is not regulation, but the gun culture. I mean, guns seem to be an obvious choice for Americans if they are worried about anything. That is not normal in the rest of the developed world. Most people's minds just don't go there in other places. In the US: Recent spat of break-ins = get a gun. Lady gets mugged on the train = get a gun. Terrorist attack anywhere in the nation = get a gun. Have children you want to protect = get a gun. Mass shooting anywhere in the country = get a gun. This is simply not where people's minds turn in Canada, UK, Australia, Western Europe, Asia. Instead they talk about it on the news to ask people to be more aware of the danger and of their surroundings while the particular problem is being investigated and hopefully resolved, people keep an extra eye out, some might buy better locks or motion detector lights or something, perhaps some women decide to keep some kind of inconspicuous protective weapon in their purses, like pepper spray or something, etc etc etc. People outside of the US simply don't generally tend to feel scared or fanatical enough to even consider getting a gun for anything other than hunting or target practice. Americans (obviously generalizing here) are obsessed with guns, plain and simple. That's why they are so fanatically protective of their right to attain them. Until that kind of mindset changes, nothing else will.
    That said, of course better regulation would help. I think people should have to jump through some pretty extreme hoops to get guns legally. The illegal gun problem is another story, and much more difficult, which again comes around to the culture aspect.

Bingo!
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,703
    PJ_Soul said:

I personally think the biggest problem with guns in America is not regulation, but the gun culture. I mean, guns seem to be an obvious choice for Americans if they are worried about anything. That is not normal in the rest of the developed world. Most people's minds just don't go there in other places. In the US: Recent spat of break-ins = get a gun. Lady gets mugged on the train = get a gun. Terrorist attack anywhere in the nation = get a gun. Have children you want to protect = get a gun. Mass shooting anywhere in the country = get a gun. This is simply not where people's minds turn in Canada, UK, Australia, Western Europe, Asia. Instead they talk about it on the news to ask people to be more aware of the danger and of their surroundings while the particular problem is being investigated and hopefully resolved, people keep an extra eye out, some might buy better locks or motion detector lights or something, perhaps some women decide to keep some kind of inconspicuous protective weapon in their purses, like pepper spray or something, etc etc etc. People outside of the US simply don't generally tend to feel scared or fanatical enough to even consider getting a gun for anything other than hunting or target practice (criminals aside). Americans (obviously generalizing here) are obsessed with guns, plain and simple. That's why they are so fanatically protective of their right to attain them. Until that kind of mindset changes, nothing else will.

Exactly. Thanks for explaining it. Now I don't have to.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Well said, PJ_Soul!
  • Options
    Guys,
    There is no gun problem in the US.
    Donald Trump says so.
    http://www.hngn.com/articles/123743/20150827/donald-trump-u-s-mental-health-problem-gun.htm
This discussion has been closed.