Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

It's very interesting seeing the mindset that Americans have towards gun ownership.
    I am happy to see people like rr and mcgruff who encourage a red tape process to ownership.
    I just know that if I came across either one of them in the forest and they were carrying this "Ar-15" I would immediately shit myself thinking they were a psycho killer on the loose.
    There would be no time for talk, it would be run away as fast as you can and call the police.
    At the end of the day I would be wrong about my assumption but at first meet you couldn't blame me for thinking that.
    I guess in my world walking around with an Ar-15 is just not applicable.

Haha,I'm not a Hunter unless you consider choosing lean cuts of organic Chix and beef in the meat section at my local market hunting.
    My shotgun dosent leave the house,And although I'm trained and licensed with a CCP I very rarely carry my hand gun on my person.I do keep a pistol locked away in my truck as sometimes I find myself in some very remote off the beaten path places with work.But It rarely gets unlocked.Every weapon I own is registered and every bit of ammo is acquired legally.Of all the regulations proposed the one I would take issue with is mandatory govt reporting and cataloging of a private citizens fire arm inventory.
    We need to due a much better job enforcing the laws we already have enacted and closing some ridiculous loop holes including gun show /Internet loop holes.
    PJ fan,It's not guys like us in the woods you have to worry about,but if you hear banjo music haul ass!!! Lol
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited July 2015
    I don't know if this was shown in the US (or if it can be viewed outside the UK) but an Obama interview a few days ago on the BBC where he discusses gun control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33629023
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited July 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I am of the opinion that no civilian needs to own or purchase ANY miltitary grade weapon.

well civilians don't.....the military uses the military grade weapons ;) we get the civilian grade weapons.
    Then why does my uncle and thousands of other people own AR-14's and AK-47's?
    Those are civilian grade weapons!
    The ar15 is civilians grade version of the m16. And the ak 47 s we have are nothing like what Isis uses. All of them are full auto. M16 s have grenade launchers on them, select fire....
    Those are military grade weapons designed for warfare. The BS gun nuts are trying to spew with semantics is ridiculous.
    I m a bull shit gun nut? Cool! However I m far from that. Yes i m in the nra but do believe in background checks and education before owning a gun.
    Back to "semantics", Ask any vet If the ar 15 you buy in cabelas is the same as the one as you use in the military. every vet i've talked to said the difference is like night and day.
    I use my ar15 for hunting (3 round clip), target shooting, home defense and competition. Ar 15 s are extremely accurate, reliable and popular. Over 3.5 million of them have been sold in the us so the chance of making them illegal is close to zero. and the us government says you can own an ar 15 but not a m16...see there is a difference because they are different weapons.
    the a k47 is much for reliable than the ar15 but I don't like that weapon because it has zero accuracy.
    I don't think I m playing semantics, rather I m using the correct definitions when talking about a subject I know a decent amount about.
    and what is your justification in not allowing citizens to own these guns? I own two m1 garands, both will do a hell of a lot more damage than an ar15. This gun pretty much helped us win world war 2. You are saying these should be illegal because the military used them? I have a 1943 mauser k98 used by nazi germany. it's a bolt action rifle used in world war 2....illegal?
    where does it stop? see the problem us gun nuts have? once you start making something illegal where does it end?

EDIT.

Godfather.

Post edited by Godfather. on
  • Options
    11 year old shoots 3 year old in the face.

He took a legal handgun that was kicking around the house- loaded- and shot a three year old in the face.

Charged with manslaughter.

This isn't the first time I've heard such a tragedy- maybe the first where the kid was charged with a crime though. Let me clarify... I've only heard of these types of events in Cletusville (USA) where they say there's no gun problem. How many gun deaths per year? 20,000? 16,000 homicides plus all the accidents and such?

Ridiculous... in so many ways.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/eleven-year-old-charged-with-manslaughter-in-shooting-death-of-three-year-old-boy-in-detroit/ar-BBlsCSM
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I went to a call one time where a 5 year old boy and his 3 year old sister were watching TV in their parents room. Somehow, the 5 year old got his dad's sawed off shotgun and accidentally shot his sister in the stomach. She died in the ambulance on the way to the helicopter.

It was one of, if not the worst fire call I ever ran. The father was charged with several gun charges as well as child neglect. The shot gun was sawed off to about 18 inches. Making it very easy for the 5 year old boy to handle.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I saw a good analogy relating to a school playground where a bully picks up a rock and bounces it off the head of another student, then the solution was to provide rocks to all of the children so that they could defend themselves from future bullies. Reminds me of the NRA argument to arm everyone.

There was a report of one of those morons guarding a recruiting center with his assault rifle. What defense does this guy have against someone walking up to him with a concealed pistol and blowing his brains out? They just don't get it.

Excellent analogy.
    Decent analogy. However if the bully has a rock why can't I have one
    to protect my family?

And please learn the definition of an assault weapon. Assault weapons have been banned since 1986 in the USA. The weapon you refer to is a semi automatic rifle, not a fully automatic weapon. Assault weapon was a term coined by anti gunners.
    Our troops have legit assault weapons, civilians do not.
    And what s wrong with the guy protecting a recruiting station with his rifle? It s evident that he really believes in what he s doing.
    RG already spoke to the characteristics of an assault rifle so I won't bother regurgitating what makes an assault rifle distinct from your standard, long barrelled rifle.

As to the analogy... how about we remove the rocks from the playground so the bully can't pick one up?

What's wrong with a guy protecting a recruiting station? If the idiot is discharging his weapon by accident... I think you know what's wrong with such a situation. A meathead has no business taking his guns into the public if he doesn't know how to freaking use them (and there are lots of people who don't know how to use them).

And don't condescend. I grew up around guns. I owned guns. I hunted. I shot things. I fished. All in the interior of British Columbia- not at the local gun range. I don't do any of those things for my own reasons, however, I'd let you know I'm thinking of taking up fishing again.

I respect people who own 'hunting' rifles for pursuing their own game. For people who spend time deep in the bush, I even support their right to a handgun.
    remove all the rocks?! the problem with that is that criminals will find a way to get those "rocks" and law abiding citizens will be defenseless.

i'm not sure how I condescended. Like yourself, I grew up around guns. I'm 37 now and started walking the fields with my dad around age 7 and started hunting at 10. i've done my fair share of hunting in very remote parts of new york and new jersey.
    If guns were made illegal, destroyed and no longer sold the price would become prohibitive for the average ignorant criminal. So now we distribute the rocks to everyone and that's what threatens me.

Like the SUV craze. Want a bigger vehicle to feel safe. Then everyone went to them and the poor schmuck that stuck with small car is killed by these humans when they plow into him.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

He took a legal handgun that was kicking around the house- loaded- and shot a three year old in the face.

This isn't the first time I've heard such a tragedy- maybe the first where the kid was charged with a crime though. Let me clarify... I've only heard of these types of events in Cletusville (USA) where they say there's no gun problem. How many gun deaths per year? 20,000? 16,000 homicides plus all the accidents and such?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/eleven-year-old-charged-with-manslaughter-in-shooting-death-of-three-year-old-boy-in-detroit/ar-BBlsCSM

Between this and "mucky too" your humor is spot on today! Both gave me a half chuckle.
    :smiley:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I saw a good analogy relating to a school playground where a bully picks up a rock and bounces it off the head of another student, then the solution was to provide rocks to all of the children so that they could defend themselves from future bullies. Reminds me of the NRA argument to arm everyone.

There was a report of one of those morons guarding a recruiting center with his assault rifle. What defense does this guy have against someone walking up to him with a concealed pistol and blowing his brains out? They just don't get it.

Excellent analogy.
    to protect my family?

And please learn the definition of an assault weapon. Assault weapons have been banned since 1986 in the USA. The weapon you refer to is a semi automatic rifle, not a fully automatic weapon. Assault weapon was a term coined by anti gunners.
    And what s wrong with the guy protecting a recruiting station with his rifle? It s evident that he really believes in what he s doing.
    RG already spoke to the characteristics of an assault rifle so I won't bother regurgitating what makes an assault rifle distinct from your standard, long barrelled rifle.

As to the analogy... how about we remove the rocks from the playground so the bully can't pick one up?

What's wrong with a guy protecting a recruiting station? If the idiot is discharging his weapon by accident... I think you know what's wrong with such a situation. A meathead has no business taking his guns into the public if he doesn't know how to freaking use them (and there are lots of people who don't know how to use them).

And don't condescend. I grew up around guns. I owned guns. I hunted. I shot things. I fished. All in the interior of British Columbia- not at the local gun range. I don't do any of those things for my own reasons, however, I'd let you know I'm thinking of taking up fishing again.

I respect people who own 'hunting' rifles for pursuing their own game. For people who spend time deep in the bush, I even support their right to a handgun.
    remove all the rocks?! the problem with that is that criminals will find a way to get those "rocks" and law abiding citizens will be defenseless.

i'm not sure how I condescended. Like yourself, I grew up around guns. I'm 37 now and started walking the fields with my dad around age 7 and started hunting at 10. i've done my fair share of hunting in very remote parts of new york and new jersey.
    If guns were made illegal, destroyed and no longer sold the price would become prohibitive for the average ignorant criminal. So now we distribute the rocks to everyone and that's what threatens me.

Like the SUV craze. Want a bigger vehicle to feel safe. Then everyone went to them and the poor schmuck that stuck with small car is killed by these humans when they plow into him.
    that little thing called the 2nd amendment kind of makes this impossible.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Excellent analogy.
    to protect my family?

if guns were destroyed and no longer sold ...only criminals would have them and they would run wild with thier new found power, this aint England or one of those "no gun ownership countries" this is America and WE wont let anybody take away our guns and besides how many guns do you think are here in America ?........too many to let some asshat government and it's sheep collect and destroy them and too many people who would fight to the death for thier rights so .......nahhh it'll never happen.

Godfather.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Excellent analogy.
    to protect my family?

that little thing called the 2nd amendment kind of makes this impossible.
    Yes, but some guns could be banned. And should be.
  • Options
    goingtoveronagoingtoverona Posts: 616
    edited August 2015
    only 20,000? that seems like a small number compared to the two hundred million guns in our country. especially since according to our media we are drowning in gun violence. one more item to the list of things killing people. so what?
    20,000 is what, .01 percent of two hundred million? hell yeah I can live with .01 percent so millions can enjoy the pleasure of shooting and the peace of mind of being able to defend themselves against armed criminals. not to mention the people that actually have their lives saved courtesy of their gun.
    if people can live with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and an overwhelming burden on our medical system, just to puff on a cigarette......people can live with guns.
    if people can live with wife beaters, child abusers, drunk drivers killing people, and children binge drinking and dying, just to get a buzz from alcohol....people can live with guns.
    if people can live with dead people, dead animals, fat unhealthy people, pollution and being dependent on a natural resource, just to get from point a to point b and keep your armpits from sweating.....people can live with guns.
    20,000 might be a lot if there were only 30,000 guns around, but 200,000,000? nah. that's a more than reasonable amount.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options

only 20,000? that seems like a small number compared to the two hundred million guns in our country. especially since according to our media we are drowning in gun violence. one more item to the list of things killing people. so what?
    20,000 is what, .01 percent of two hundred million? hell yeah I can live with .01 percent so millions can enjoy the pleasure of shooting and the peace of mind of being able to defend themselves against armed criminals. not to mention the people that actually have their lives saved courtesy of their gun.
    if people can live with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and an overwhelming burden on our medical system, just to puff on a cigarette......people can live with guns.
    if people can live with wife beaters, child abusers, drunk drivers killing people, and children binge drinking and dying, just to get a buzz from alcohol....people can live with guns.
    if people can live with dead people, dead animals, fat unhealthy people, pollution and being dependent on a natural resource, just to get from point a to point b and keep your armpits from sweating.....people can live with guns.
    20,000 might be a lot if there were only 30,000 guns around, but 200,000,000? nah. that's a more than reasonable amount.

There's some legitimacy to this point. I'm not going to necessarily disagree with some of the things you've said. There is a better way to live, but who's to say? The big obese person that cannot resist The Golden Corral 3X a week likely doesn't know that walking up stairs doesn't necessarily have to feel like you're completing a triathlon.

But admit the following: you'd probably feel differently if one of those 200,000,000 guns changed the course of your life in a dramatic way though, eh? I mean... just so guys can shoot shit?
  • Options

Tell that to the family of a victim of gun violence. Tell them that it was reasonable that their child was murdered by a gun, because lots of people enjoy their juvenile hobby of making things go bang bang.

Your relation of guns to cars has been so thoroughly debunked on these boards that clinging to it continually is just sad.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Between this and "mucky too" your humor is spot on today! Both gave me a half chuckle.
    I was hoping to get at least one chuckle! I'll take those two halves as 'one'.

Have a good weekend.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Have a good weekend.
    Well it's hard to get a whole chuckle from text, but you came admirably close!
    I'll be working all weekend, but I am so Damn stubborn I will have a good weekend just to spite my damn job lol
    Fuck 'em, bastards can't hold me down!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Have a good weekend.
    I'll be working all weekend, but I am so Damn stubborn I will have a good weekend just to spite my damn job lol
    Shitty. Well... thanks for doing what you do so the world doesn't stop on the weekends.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    americas gun violence..

why
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Have a good weekend.
    Shitty. Well... thanks for doing what you do so the world doesn't stop on the weekends.
    Hahaha the people must have their carbonated soft drinks!
  • Options
    @ thirty, I have indeed thought about that before, if a loved one was gunned down would that change my attitude towards guns, and honestly I just don't know. wish I could say my attitude would stay the same and I would just blame the person but who knows man. I hope that's something I never have to go through. if it was a loved one accidentally killing themselves because I left a gun around, I would at the bare minimum get rid off all my guns, and probably get rid of myself as well.

@rgambs, I acknowledge that point but really don't care. tobacco, cars, alcohol, guns, knives, so what? everybody who has a loved one die prematurely from those things has a legitimate grievance. and I was thinking the opposite about being "debunked". I think I debunked you. and I did that by proving that you don't give a rats ass about human life. the argument is that guns kill people which is why everyone is so disturbed by them. I offered up cars because they kill people TOO, on top of the many other negative things. not sure how clinging to that is sad. they're both killers that we don't need. you rationalize your killers, and i'll rationalize mine. and then between you and me, we have everything that kills people out there.......rationalized. when you get down to brass tax, 99percent of you guys have the exact same mentality, and that is, " all the things that kill people in my life are solid gold, we can live with it, tolerate it, accept it, whatever adjective that helps us sleep, but we gotta do whatever it takes to save people killed by guns, if it saves even one life it's worth it, oh by the way i'll never own or use a gun. that's right, the one thing i'll never use or possess is the one thing that doesn't get a rationalization."
    gee who could have seen that coming?
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Tell that to the family of a victim of gun violence. Tell them that it was reasonable that their child was murdered by a gun, because lots of people enjoy their juvenile hobby of making things go bang bang.

Your relation of guns to cars has been so thoroughly debunked on these boards that clinging to it continually is just sad.
    Juvenile hobby? Last week at the range I shot next to two world war 2 vets; one guys son was also shooting and he was a Vietnam vet. I d love for you to tell them that what they are doing is juvenile. Just because you don't agree with the hobby doesn't make it wrong.
  • Options
    gotta blaze but wanted to toss in a little pre-retort retort as I feel I know what's coming....which is, the most common parameter I've seen used is the "designed to kill" parameter when looking at a persons death. people will look at all those things that kill(that aren't guns) and say, they did it to themselves or it does something productive or it's not designed to kill, to casually dismiss all the things that kill people that aren't guns. and my argument against that, is that the only person that get's to choose my parameters for me is me. in fact my parameter upon hearing of someones death used to be, " were they killed by old age?" if not then we gotta do whatever it takes to save those lives. after being here for a while I learned I was doing it backwards, you're supposed to single out one group of people and set up a parameter to exclude everyone else. my parameter now is "were they killed by something that takes gas and oil?" if the answer is no, then I can tolerate it. but no one can choose my parameter for me, just like I can't choose it for you.
    if your mom died from lung cancer because the people at work smoked cigarettes around her for 30 years, no one can tell you that because cigarettes aren't designed to kill, that her death was tolerable.
    if your mom was mangled in a car wreck, you can't tell me that because cars do something productive that her death is acceptable or a necessary evil.
    and so on and so on with all the other killers.
    speaking of cars, another day being surrounded by guns here, but the only thing that I see that consistently kills people and animals........that's right folks, CARS!!!!! I saw a baby deer standing next to it's obliterated mother on the road this morning. YAY CARS!!!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Couple good post here, going.
  • Options
    Did I miss a post? Is 20,000 a statistic that I missed somewhere?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

gotta blaze but wanted to toss in a little pre-retort retort as I feel I know what's coming....which is, the most common parameter I've seen used is the "designed to kill" parameter when looking at a persons death. people will look at all those things that kill(that aren't guns) and say, they did it to themselves or it does something productive or it's not designed to kill, to casually dismiss all the things that kill people that aren't guns. and my argument against that, is that the only person that get's to choose my parameters for me is me. in fact my parameter upon hearing of someones death used to be, " were they killed by old age?" if not then we gotta do whatever it takes to save those lives. after being here for a while I learned I was doing it backwards, you're supposed to single out one group of people and set up a parameter to exclude everyone else. my parameter now is "were they killed by something that takes gas and oil?" if the answer is no, then I can tolerate it. but no one can choose my parameter for me, just like I can't choose it for you.
    if your mom died from lung cancer because the people at work smoked cigarettes around her for 30 years, no one can tell you that because cigarettes aren't designed to kill, that her death was tolerable.
    if your mom was mangled in a car wreck, you can't tell me that because cars do something productive that her death is acceptable or a necessary evil.
    and so on and so on with all the other killers.
    speaking of cars, another day being surrounded by guns here, but the only thing that I see that consistently kills people and animals........that's right folks, CARS!!!!! I saw a baby deer standing next to it's obliterated mother on the road this morning. YAY CARS!!!

It's funny, you find gun deaths..scratch that..gun MURDERS acceptable because of a hobby and because they save a few lives now and then, but you condemn cars even though the deaths are accidental, and they save easily hundreds, likely thousands, of times more lives and serve a purpose far beyond a juvenile hobby.
    That makes a ton of sense!

And BTW, contrary to your assumption, I do own guns and have shot many in my life.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Juvenile hobby? Last week at the range I shot next to two world war 2 vets; one guys son was also shooting and he was a Vietnam vet. I d love for you to tell them that what they are doing is juvenile. Just because you don't agree with the hobby doesn't make it wrong.
    So because they once used guns to kill people that makes it less juvenile?
    I think that is an indictment AGAINST the hobby and not support for it.
    I didn't say it was "wrong" I said it was juvenile, as in immature.
    I loved shooting guns and blowing stuff up when I was a hormone riddled teenager, then I grew up and the bangbangs lost their appeal. I also think car-worship and racing are juvenile, I grew out of that too.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

I loved shooting guns and blowing stuff up when I was a hormone riddled teenager, then I grew up and the bangbangs lost their appeal. I also think car-worship and racing are juvenile, I grew out of that too.
    Shooting guns is immature? Um, ok. So tens of millions of Americans are immature. Got yA. Bang bangs? I m thinking you havent shot a lot if you use the term bang bangs when describing shooting.
  • Options
    Goingtoverona is my new favorite person. In all seriousness you make some really excellent points.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Shooting guns is immature? Um, ok. So tens of millions of Americans are immature. Got yA. Bang bangs? I m thinking you havent shot a lot if you use the term bang bangs when describing shooting.
    I grew up shooting. Then I finished growing up. Handguns, rifles, modified 22's, AR's, shotguns, all sorts.
    Shooting guns isn't exactly immature, but being a gun enthusiast is.
    Yes, tens of millions of Americans ARE immature.
    Their ridiculous trucks, their confederate flags, their "cold dead hands"...yeah, juvenile for sure.
    And yes, bangbangs, ooooohhh ahhhh explosions and fireworks. The type of people who get all excited about guns and explosives are the type who get all excited when the waitress brings out their sizzling steak at Applebee's. "Look out guys, we got a hot one coming through, yeeee haw!"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

I grew up shooting. Then I finished growing up. Handguns, rifles, modified 22's, AR's, shotguns, all sorts.
    Shooting guns isn't exactly immature, but being a gun enthusiast is.
    Yes, tens of millions of Americans ARE immature.
    Their ridiculous trucks, their confederate flags, their "cold dead hands"...yeah, juvenile for sure.
    And yes, bangbangs, ooooohhh ahhhh explosions and fireworks. The type of people who get all excited about guns and explosives are the type who get all excited when the waitress brings out their sizzling steak at Applebee's. "Look out guys, we got a hot one coming through, yeeee haw!"
    I m feeling this about people below the mason Dixon line.
  • Options
    First, tens of millions? Let's be realistic about that number. Second, just because alot of people do it something, doesn't mean it isn't immature.

What about people that live south of the mason Dixon line?
This discussion has been closed.