Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:p
    tbergs said:
    Aurora: AR-15
    Orlando: AR-15
    Las Vegas: AR-15
    Sandy Hook: AR-15
    Umpqua CC: AR-15
    San Bernardino: AR-15
    Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Nothing can be done.
    Well, one state made it illegal to own a bump stock with your pretty AR killing device.

Is there anybody on here opposed to the ban of owning AR-15 style assault rifles outside of LE and military?
    Yes.

You can't even get the terminology correct.

Besides I have been hearing non-stop for a year how "literally Hitler" was elected President, and now those people want "literally Hitler" to be the one in control of all firearms.

Why do you want to give "literally Hitler" oh and the white supremacist and racist and apparently woman abusing and Russian colluder so much control?
    every gun
    every owner
    every transfer
    documented

how's that for terminology
    Already is in my State.

So how does that stop a bad person from doing bad things?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.
    Well, one state made it illegal to own a bump stock with your pretty AR killing device.

Is there anybody on here opposed to the ban of owning AR-15 style assault rifles outside of LE and military?
    Yes.

Besides I have been hearing non-stop for a year how "literally Hitler" was elected President, and now those people want "literally Hitler" to be the one in control of all firearms.

Why do you want to give "literally Hitler" oh and the white supremacist and racist and apparently woman abusing and Russian colluder so much control?
    Ok. My apologies. I haven't fired an AR or its like in about 10 years. What is the correct terminology you would like me to use? You have lots of criticism, but no answers or suggestions. Only Mace seems to be able to provide some sort of reasonable discussion points.
    Have you ever shot one?

If not, I will take you out to a range and introduce you to one.  I can then go over terminology and show you how it operates, including breaking it down and re-assembling it.
    Yeah, did you read my answer? It's been about 9 years. I shot it several thousand times and was qualified with it before that. A crack shot with it. I could break it down and put it back together no problems. That's what I did.

Again, do you have any other suggestions. A civilian has no need to own an AR or other types of semi-auto assault rifles. Fear is the only reason no one is willing to give up these types of guns. Don't worry, we'll all die of lack of water and tillable land before the government comes for your guns. You will probably need your gun to protect your bunker of supplies from the raving masses of starving and thirsty.

Reminds me of this beautiful song;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-10lIrboM

Clearly yesterday proved that we need them, in order to stop bad people from harming others.

Thankfully it isn't the Bill of Needs.  Thankfully I don't need someone telling me what I do or don't.

You asked me what my terminology was, that lead me to believe your experience was not vast.  My terminology is what it actually is, not what the media says it is.
    pretty sure that guy didn't have an assault weapon
    More than likely not as there really is no such thing.  

He probably had his personal defense firearm or his sporting rifle.  I highly doubt he had a military M16.
    Just wondering, what are you considering an assault rifle? A gun used by the military?
    The government has defined assault rifles by a few select features, many of which are available on civilian versions.
    You lost me at "the government".

Features that don't make a weapon any more likely to be used in a crime.

Oh no, those evil pistol grips!  LOL.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    A lot of people use prayer to better their lives. It’s gross to see how insensitive the people on this board are towards those people. This was a church. These innocent people were there for open prayer and worship and people on here are making a mockery of it. 

I get a board closed closed last week for saying radical Islam is a problem, and this board is applauded for bashing Christian people. Funny 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,023
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Ok. My apologies. I haven't fired an AR or its like in about 10 years. What is the correct terminology you would like me to use? You have lots of criticism, but no answers or suggestions. Only Mace seems to be able to provide some sort of reasonable discussion points.
    Have you ever shot one?

If not, I will take you out to a range and introduce you to one.  I can then go over terminology and show you how it operates, including breaking it down and re-assembling it.
    Yeah, did you read my answer? It's been about 9 years. I shot it several thousand times and was qualified with it before that. A crack shot with it. I could break it down and put it back together no problems. That's what I did.

Again, do you have any other suggestions. A civilian has no need to own an AR or other types of semi-auto assault rifles. Fear is the only reason no one is willing to give up these types of guns. Don't worry, we'll all die of lack of water and tillable land before the government comes for your guns. You will probably need your gun to protect your bunker of supplies from the raving masses of starving and thirsty.

Clearly yesterday proved that we need them, in order to stop bad people from harming others.

Thankfully it isn't the Bill of Needs.  Thankfully I don't need someone telling me what I do or don't.

You asked me what my terminology was, that lead me to believe your experience was not vast.  My terminology is what it actually is, not what the media says it is.

He probably had his personal defense firearm or his sporting rifle.  I highly doubt he had a military M16.
    Just wondering, what are you considering an assault rifle? A gun used by the military?
    The government has defined assault rifles by a few select features, many of which are available on civilian versions.

I absolutely agree that the definition is extremely stupid. According to at least one bill the definition was a detachable magazine and any 2 of the following features, which included a pistol grip to an attachment that can hold a grenade launcher. It didn't make any sense to me as far as how and why any of those were chosen and why 2? I think most, of not all, of those other features are harmless.
    But I asked because you said assault rifles don't technically exist. I was just wondering how you came to that conclusion. 
    Like it or not, we live in a governmental society, and our government has defined what an assault rifle is. I was just wondering how you came up with your conclusion that assault rifles don't exist, when "the government" has defined them?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

every gun
    every owner
    every transfer
    documented

Already is in my State.

it's not about stopping bad people from doing bad things
    it's about restricting the opportunities for bad people to do bad things so easily

how many times does it have to be explained to you gun-fetishists?  more guns = more gun deaths
    this is not a cultural issue of 'the usa has too many bad people", it's an issue of "the usa has too many guns and gun-nuts"

less guns, less gun deaths
    it really is that fucking simple, and has been proven the world over.  How is this not sinking in?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Is there a sovereign citizens or similar handbook where we can learn all your acceptable definitions.

You do realize a pistol grip is intended to make the weapon easier to handle, which much like semi-auto features, makes it a much more efficient killing machine for those who are highly skilled in it's use. Unlike a handgun, a rifle bullet is going to travel a lot farther with more efficiency than when I shoot a handgun from a non conforming position. I can shoot a hand gun from the hip and be very effective at 30 feet so imagine if I practice shooting my semi auto from a lower position if I was say, retreating or on the move. That would keep people on their heels. Sure, you won't be very accurate if you aren't aiming, but the fact that you can at least semi-auto fire rounds from a non-sighted position isn't anything I would want to be on the other end of. You seem to think that all of these "features" have no negative impact. To the average gun owner, they probably don't mean shit because they are never going to use it that way, but to the next mass shooter, they are looking for quick and efficient killing "features".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,023
    edited November 2017
    riley540 said:
    A lot of people use prayer to better their lives. It’s gross to see how insensitive the people on this board are towards those people. This was a church. These innocent people were there for open prayer and worship and people on here are making a mockery of it. 

I get a board closed closed last week for saying radical Islam is a problem, and this board is applauded for bashing Christian people. Funny 
    I had the same feeling. I just don't get it either. You don't like prayer then that's fine, but mocking someone who prays seems like being extremely intolerant of others to me. Especially for those who pride themselves on being tolerant of everyone.
    Some defended it because thats all some do about it as pray. I dont see it that way, I see it as a cheap shot at a religion, and then the same people get offended when you use the term "radical Islamic terrorism" when you describe the San Bernardino shootings. There's more tolerance for radical violence than people praying it seems like.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    riley540 said:

I had the same feeling. I just don't get it either. You don't like prayer then that's fine, but mocking someone who prays seems like being extremely intolerant of others to me. Especially for those who pride themselves on being tolerant of everyone.
    Just upsetting. I’m not religious, but it just puts a sour taste in my mouth 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    riley540 said:

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    lol you guys  are funny don't be butt hurt i stated i don't belive in any religion and i stay away from any church i've never mocked people for following any religion i respect all people's choices ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Pearl Jam board - 

athiest shoots christians

christians are dumb for praying  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I think one can respect religion and still have a view that prayers are worthless.  I don't see how anyone can make a rational argument that they help...if they helped we would all be in a pretty good spot.

It's very clear that god does not answer prayers....so why is it bad to point that out to people so that they focus their energy elsewhere?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,682
    edited November 2017
    mace1229 said:
    riley540 said:

Some defended it because thats all some do about it as pray. I dont see it that way, I see it as a cheap shot at a religion, and then the same people get offended when you use the term "radical Islamic terrorism" when you describe the San Bernardino shootings. There's more tolerance for radical violence than people praying it seems like.
    You’re both missing the point, which is that republicans offer up nothing in response to these situations. When an external attack happens, we get a $50 or $60 billion Dept of Homeland Security. When it’s internal, we get thoughts and prayers (at no cost to the taxpayers, so there’s that). Edit: $40 billion
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    mace1229 said:
    riley540 said:

nope. not at all. you folks are missing the point entirely. it doesn't matter if the word "prayer" is in there or not. I would say the same if it was just "my thoughts are with you". it's the hypocrisy of the message. has nothing to do with religion. it's saying "i'm sorry this happened to you, but my gun rights are more important to me than anything else". that is all.

not a religion thing whatsoever. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    edited November 2017
    I don't have time to read through all the new posts, so this has probably already been said, but.... Wtf? Trump thinks there is no correlation between mental health issues and gun issues when a gunman with mental health issues (maybe? Is that actually proven, or did he just assume since he's white and a vet??) and with a violent criminal history and a prison record was still legally allowed to buy a gun. I mean Jesus fucking Christ, are we all living in Crazytown now?? I just can't believe that piece of shit could say such a thing with a straight face. I figure that any decent, logical human being (I know he's not) knows that, no matter how much they love guns, there is a problem when this man in particular was still allowed to walk into a gun store and make a purchase (which I read he did in an article. It even named the store, but I can't remember what it was called).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    riley540 said:

and who is mocking people who pray? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    riley540 said:
    Pearl Jam board - 

athiest shoots christians

christians are dumb for praying  
    Whoosh!!

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    riley540 said:

nope. not at all. you folks are missing the point entirely. it doesn't matter if the word "prayer" is in there or not. I would say the same if it was just "my thoughts are with you". it's the hypocrisy of the message. has nothing to do with religion. it's saying "i'm sorry this happened to you, but my gun rights are more important to me than anything else". that is all.

^^^This guy gets it. Mace and Riley, read this over and over again until you understand.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't have time to read through all the new posts, so this has probably already been said, but.... Wtf? Trump thinks there is no correlation between mental health issues and gun issues when a gunman with mental health issues (maybe? Is that actually proven, or did he just assume since he's white and a vet??) and with a violent criminal history and a prison record was still legally allowed to buy a gun. I mean Jesus fucking Christ, are we all living in Crazytown now?? I just can't believe that piece of shit could say such a thing with a straight face. I figure that any decent, logical human being (I know he's not) knows that, no matter how much they love guns, there is a problem when this man in particular was still allowed to walk into a gun store and make a purchase (which I read he did in an article. It even named the store, but I can't remember what it was called).
    yeah and didn't they just remove some verbiage that prevented people with mental health issues from purchasing weapons?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    riley540 said:

^^^This guy gets it. Mace and Riley, read this over and over again until you understand.
    They got it in the first place. If they didn't... aye-yay-yay.

Nothing will ever change.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    I'm just curious, has anyone changed their opinion on gun laws recently based on these endless attacks?
    Maybe totally against guns but recently thought of getting one?  Or vice versa, love guns but thought maybe their should be more laws?
  • Options
    riley540 said:

If a mosque had been shot up they would be singing a different tune.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:

try reading a bit harder. no one is mocking religion in any fashion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Is there a sovereign citizens or similar handbook where we can learn all your acceptable definitions.

You do realize a pistol grip is intended to make the weapon easier to handle, which much like semi-auto features, makes it a much more efficient killing machine for those who are highly skilled in it's use. Unlike a handgun, a rifle bullet is going to travel a lot farther with more efficiency than when I shoot a handgun from a non conforming position. I can shoot a hand gun from the hip and be very effective at 30 feet so imagine if I practice shooting my semi auto from a lower position if I was say, retreating or on the move. That would keep people on their heels. Sure, you won't be very accurate if you aren't aiming, but the fact that you can at least semi-auto fire rounds from a non-sighted position isn't anything I would want to be on the other end of. You seem to think that all of these "features" have no negative impact. To the average gun owner, they probably don't mean shit because they are never going to use it that way, but to the next mass shooter, they are looking for quick and efficient killing "features".
    So it makes a firearm more accurate?  So the user hits the intended target and not cause an accident and hit a person when being used?

Do you prefer firearms that when you use them you don't know where the projectile is going?
  • Options
    I'm just curious, has anyone changed their opinion on gun laws recently based on these endless attacks?
    Maybe totally against guns but recently thought of getting one?  Or vice versa, love guns but thought maybe their should be more laws?
    No.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,682
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:

A mosque has been shot up. What tune was sung then?
  • Options
    Don't tell me religion doesn't matter to people who do these things.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said: 
    CM189191 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

every gun
    every owner
    every transfer
    documented

Already is in my State.

it's not about stopping bad people from doing bad things
    it's about restricting the opportunities for bad people to do bad things so easily

how many times does it have to be explained to you gun-fetishists?  more guns = more gun deaths
    this is not a cultural issue of 'the usa has too many bad people", it's an issue of "the usa has too many guns and gun-nuts"

less guns, less gun deaths
    it really is that fucking simple, and has been proven the world over.  How is this not sinking in?

I'd just like to know how you propose doing this?

"But nobody is calling for a gun ban!"
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    unsung said:
    riley540 said:

"they"?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Congress.   Do something.   26 people dying out of 350 million in the country should not halt gun legislation.   A terrible event for sure, but not something that should stop Congress from doing their jobs.   
This discussion has been closed.