Aurora: AR-15
    Orlando: AR-15
    Las Vegas: AR-15
    Sandy Hook: AR-15
    Umpqua CC: AR-15
    San Bernardino: AR-15
    Sutherland Springs: AR-15

This is purely coincidence.

The weapon of choice very easily could have been broad rubber bands too. Ban them?
    someone say weapon of choice?!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.
    Well, one state made it illegal to own a bump stock with your pretty AR killing device.

Is there anybody on here opposed to the ban of owning AR-15 style assault rifles outside of LE and military?
    Yes.

You can't even get the terminology correct.

Besides I have been hearing non-stop for a year how "literally Hitler" was elected President, and now those people want "literally Hitler" to be the one in control of all firearms.

Why do you want to give "literally Hitler" oh and the white supremacist and racist and apparently woman abusing and Russian colluder so much control?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    I didn't understand after the Vegas shooting and still don't understand after this one. What is wrong with saying your "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims?
    Even the anti-gun liberals use that phrase. 
    No one has ever said thoughts and prayers will solve everything or bring the dead back, and this forum is acting like that what every gun owners has said. I just don't get the attack on people using that phrase, especially since he's been said by pretty much everyone on both sides of the gun debate.
    It is an empty and meaningless gesture that makes people feel absolved of the obligation to actually do something that has an effect on the real world.
    In a case like this, where the people who were killed were actively worshipping and praying at their time of death, it rings extra hollow.  Frankly, it's insulting to the intelligence and dignity of the human race.
    So you think equally low of Hilary and Obama when they use that phrase? Because, they, and probably every other democratic in office, have as well.
    no, because in addition to their thoughts and prayers, they advocate for real change. 
    I could agree that there is a difference in that.
    I just think its a cheap shot to only criticize the phrase "thoughts and prayers." Its like calling someone out for saying "I'm sorry for your loss" at a funeral. Just doesn't make sense to me to make fun of those for saying it.
    I disagree with that comparison. maybe if the person saying it at the funeral was philosophically complicit in the person's death, then yes, that would be an applicable comparison. as gambs said, it's because many of those saying it, it is a hallow sentiment, especially when they oppose changes that MAY help to curb these deaths. 
    I see a lot of people why aren't religious use that phrase. That's why I compared it to saying something like "I'm sorry for your loss."
    How many people do you think who say "our thoughts and prayers are with you" actually go home and pray about it?
    Its just a saying that a lot of people, including non-believers, use in an attempt to comfort others. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it just seems low to me to make fun of anyone for using it. If the beef is with lack of gun laws, then say it, don't do it in a round-about way by making fun of someone for saying their thoughts are with those who just lost loved ones.
    we have said it. however, you should hold them to the same standard. "my thoughts are prayers are with you....but I like guns, so I'm going to do zero about it, and I hope the government also does zero about it.....because....2nd amendment". 

in essence, to me, that says "I don't give a fuck about your loved ones". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. Pretty sure over 2 dozen Texans got "fucked", but hey they got him in the end....a victory for gun owners everywhere.
    Would you have preferred he got away and went to the next church?  I’m glad this asshat got to experience the pain that he had inflicted on others.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.
    Well, one state made it illegal to own a bump stock with your pretty AR killing device.

Is there anybody on here opposed to the ban of owning AR-15 style assault rifles outside of LE and military?
    I don't like banning guns by name.  If an AR-15 gets banned, how long do you think the smallest insignificant feature is changed and comes out with a completely different name?
    Instead, ban the features that make an AR-15 more deadly than a typical hunting rifle.. And also in practice, what about the thousands already out there? A buyback program is going to be very expensive (yes, Australia did it, but I don't think there were nearly as many). Not to mention all the pushback that wouldn't get anything passed.
    The laws are so poorly written than many of them are easily avoided. I would have no problem with someone owning an AR-15 that had a truly fixed magazine of 5 rounds. I say "truly fixed" because a "fixed" magazine is defined by law as a magazine requiring a tool to remove. So many are made with a button too small for a finger that requirs a pointy object to eject. The tip of a bullet works just fine. Or even better, a cover over the ejection button with said small object attached to it, which completely makes the fixed magazine law useless and outdated.
    Magazine limits should be good enough for anyone who wants to hunt with one, and works fine for the collector who just wants to target shoot.
    Give owners 1 year to comply with getting modifications done to assault rifles.
    California did something like this.  

Basically any "military style" weapon was included in the bill.  I believe that was in the late 80's early 90's?

You have to grandfather all the existing ones though.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

I don't like banning guns by name.  If an AR-15 gets banned, how long do you think the smallest insignificant feature is changed and comes out with a completely different name?
    Instead, ban the features that make an AR-15 more deadly than a typical hunting rifle.. And also in practice, what about the thousands already out there? A buyback program is going to be very expensive (yes, Australia did it, but I don't think there were nearly as many). Not to mention all the pushback that wouldn't get anything passed.
    The laws are so poorly written than many of them are easily avoided. I would have no problem with someone owning an AR-15 that had a truly fixed magazine of 5 rounds. I say "truly fixed" because a "fixed" magazine is defined by law as a magazine requiring a tool to remove. So many are made with a button too small for a finger that requirs a pointy object to eject. The tip of a bullet works just fine. Or even better, a cover over the ejection button with said small object attached to it, which completely makes the fixed magazine law useless and outdated.
    Magazine limits should be good enough for anyone who wants to hunt with one, and works fine for the collector who just wants to target shoot.

Basically any "military style" weapon was included in the bill.  I believe that was in the late 80's early 90's?

Yeah, I was living in CA at the time, until a year years ago.
    From what I remember they banned some by name, and then created a list of banned features. One of those features was the detatchable magazine that was incredibly easy to go around legally.
    But all one had to do to get a banned-by-name gun was find a knock-of under a different name.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,264
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yeah, I know that an AR is like a lego, so banning it in name is pointless, but what I am getting at in general is a weapon like it that allows for high volume round disbursement in a matter of minutes. If that makes it too complicated and impossible to pass then I like the idea of limiting magazine size and a restricting release lever. Of course the concern again comes back to how long before someone finds a work around and creates something similar to a bump stock that allows it to be used unlawfully. That's where the policies and laws need to be in place for all firearms to only be allowed to fire at the rate and capacity they were manufactured for. Start with limiting the capacities and restricting the firing rate so no add-ons or do it yourself shit.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. Pretty sure over 2 dozen Texans got "fucked", but hey they got him in the end....a victory for gun owners everywhere.
    Would you have preferred he got away and went to the next church?  I’m glad this asshat got to experience the pain that he had inflicted on others.
    I was seeing he died from a self-inflicted gun shot. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Grandfathering them in will still allow hundreds of thousands to be legally owned and out there, so that won;t satisfy most.
    Banning them completely won't happen.I have very little interest in assault rifles, so I don't know as much about them.
    But I can't see how altering the definition of a fixed magazine from requiring a tool to something more fixed like multiple screws so that one cant just eject a magazine using the tip of a bullet or a slip cover that makes it easy would be very difficult. I don;t see that as a modification that cant be done for a few hundred bucks or less. And even giving a year grace period to get it done and having the government fork that bill would be a fraction of the cost of a buy-back program. And the end result is these assault rifles are no more lethal than any other hunting rifle when they cant hold large magazines that can be changed quickly.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Besides I have been hearing non-stop for a year how "literally Hitler" was elected President, and now those people want "literally Hitler" to be the one in control of all firearms.

Why do you want to give "literally Hitler" oh and the white supremacist and racist and apparently woman abusing and Russian colluder so much control?
    Ok. My apologies. I haven't fired an AR or its like in about 10 years. What is the correct terminology you would like me to use? You have lots of criticism, but no answers or suggestions. Only Mace seems to be able to provide some sort of reasonable discussion points.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I was seeing he died from a self-inflicted gun shot. 
    I was seeing that he was confronted by two locals, was shot and tried to escape, shit himself and crashed.  Then...the police arrived...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Ok. My apologies. I haven't fired an AR or its like in about 10 years. What is the correct terminology you would like me to use? You have lots of criticism, but no answers or suggestions. Only Mace seems to be able to provide some sort of reasonable discussion points.
    Have you ever shot one?

If not, I will take you out to a range and introduce you to one.  I can then go over terminology and show you how it operates, including breaking it down and re-assembling it.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Your first question needs no answer. What does it matter if he was eventually shot by another Texan? You make the statement like it was some sort of victory. Do you think this asshat expected to live free and clear? He was on a death mission, so I would guess not. Anyone who reads or hears this that gets the "Don't fuck with Texans" as the take away doesn't understand the situation or the continual theme in this never ending story.

I've got one, after 9/11 happened we should have taken pictures and wrote stories of American troops killing Muslims because, you know, don't fuck with the US.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,991
    I don't think I have ever looked over an argument about assault weapons and not found someone arguing about how they aren't assault weapons.

The AR-15 is an assault weapon.  Get over it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    I don't think I have ever looked over an argument about assault weapons and not found someone arguing about how they aren't assault weapons.

That’s all part of the routine in these things. Debate definitions, tell the person they don’t understand how guns work, talk about Chicago, say that criminals will always be able to get guns if they want them, reference the need to protect your family, and then fimish with the historical misstep about the first thing dictatorships do is gather all the guns. 
  • Options

That’s all part of the routine in these things. Debate definitions, tell the person they don’t understand how guns work, talk about Chicago, say that criminals will always be able to get guns if they want them, reference the need to protect your family, and then fimish with the historical misstep about the first thing dictatorships do is gather all the guns. 
    yeah and the tyranny thing is equally ridiculous...do you think these people realize that they are discussing taking up arms AGAINST the USA?  That's treason :)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

If not, I will take you out to a range and introduce you to one.  I can then go over terminology and show you how it operates, including breaking it down and re-assembling it.
    Yeah, did you read my answer? It's been about 9 years. I shot it several thousand times and was qualified with it before that. A crack shot with it. I could break it down and put it back together no problems. That's what I did.

Again, do you have any other suggestions. A civilian has no need to own an AR or other types of semi-auto assault rifles. Fear is the only reason no one is willing to give up these types of guns. Don't worry, we'll all die of lack of water and tillable land before the government comes for your guns. You will probably need your gun to protect your bunker of supplies from the raving masses of starving and thirsty.

Reminds me of this beautiful song;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-10lIrboM

• Options
     .I don't think I have ever looked over an argument about assault weapons and not found someone arguing about how they aren't assault weapons.

We took it out of the leftist playbook, ie. "But it is Fox News"!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Yeah, did you read my answer? It's been about 9 years. I shot it several thousand times and was qualified with it before that. A crack shot with it. I could break it down and put it back together no problems. That's what I did.

Again, do you have any other suggestions. A civilian has no need to own an AR or other types of semi-auto assault rifles. Fear is the only reason no one is willing to give up these types of guns. Don't worry, we'll all die of lack of water and tillable land before the government comes for your guns. You will probably need your gun to protect your bunker of supplies from the raving masses of starving and thirsty.

Clearly yesterday proved that we need them, in order to stop bad people from harming others.

Thankfully it isn't the Bill of Needs.  Thankfully I don't need someone telling me what I do or don't.

You asked me what my terminology was, that lead me to believe your experience was not vast.  My terminology is what it actually is, not what the media says it is.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Clearly yesterday proved that we need them, in order to stop bad people from harming others.

Thankfully it isn't the Bill of Needs.  Thankfully I don't need someone telling me what I do or don't.

You asked me what my terminology was, that lead me to believe your experience was not vast.  My terminology is what it actually is, not what the media says it is.
    pretty sure that guy didn't have an assault weapon

• Options
    At some point there is going to be a really sad situation where a "good guy with a gun" gets killed by police or another good guy with a gun because they think he is the bad guy.

Not saying it hasn't happened yet but not that I recall.  

• Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

More than likely not as there really is no such thing.  

He probably had his personal defense firearm or his sporting rifle.  I highly doubt he had a military M16.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

He probably had his personal defense firearm or his sporting rifle.  I highly doubt he had a military M16.
    no such thing....brilliant

• Options
    At some point there is going to be a really sad situation where a "good guy with a gun" gets killed by police or another good guy with a gun because they think he is the bad guy.

Freedom can be dangerous.  Thankfully freedom means we have that choice.

Shooting people that are innocent is generally reserved for murderers and government.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Freedom can be dangerous.  Thankfully freedom means we have that choice.

Shooting people that are innocent is generally reserved for murderers and government.
    yeah....and children that play with guns

• Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

I didn't ask for the banning of all guns. In an ideal world, guns wouldn't exist, but they do and I am not advocating for their complete removal. I also don't need the media to tell me what to call it. I have enough experience to know what it can do. Since you can't seem to clarify what the proper terminology is in your mind, I will assume you have an issue with "assault". It doesn't sound as pretty with that term included. If I say AR-15 semi-auto rifle, it just sounds like your ordinary rifle because sem-auto is ambiguous enough to be taken as just a handy feature that varies based on each individuals usage of that feature.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

every gun
    every owner
    every transfer
    documented

how's that for terminology
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Just wondering, what are you considering an assault rifle? A gun used by the military?
    The government has defined assault rifles by a few select features, many of which are available on civilian versions.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,323
    So let's all agree to meet back here next month right before xmas to debate the undebatable on the next massacre , as far as i gathered the progun nuts wan't every good guy to own weapons to protect the unarmed from the nut case gun owner that decides he's had enough of delaing with life and needs to take out multiple people thank god i don't believe in any religion at all and i stay away from any churches i've already stopped attending sporting events but concerts are my only other worry .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:

Nothing can be done.

Yes.

Have you ever shot one?

Just wondering, what are you considering an assault rifle? A gun used by the military?
    The government has defined assault rifles by a few select features, many of which are available on civilian versions.
    Clearly not the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of assault rifle

:any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also :a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire
This discussion has been closed.