Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    mcgruff10 said:
    20 dead so far that number will go up poor folks at church worshipping RIP ..
    I just turned on CNN to see what was the current news on this mass shooting event in Texas.  They were covering it with live footage and reporting from people on the ground. 
    Then I switched over to fauxnews and they were covering Herr dRumpf visiting asia. No mention of the mass shooting event in Texas. Ignorant jackasses.
    Not sure what time you were watching but it was being covered in depth around 4:30.
    4:05ish eastern time
    Watched CNN for a few minutes then switched to faux and they didn't even have a crawl going.
    Just Herr dRumpf in japan.
    fair and balanced bud.  duh  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    all carrying ak-47's.  ban the commie rifle!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    26 confirmed dead.

Hope the NRA and it's  supporters  are proud of this American gun owner.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

I knew this was coming. Record time! Good job.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Sad that the Onion had to put out this headline again....
  • Options
    26 confirmed dead.

That's like saying the aclu has been proud of protests since trump has taken over.  as a lifetime nra member i am not proud of this.  but again the vast vast minority (irresponsible gun owner) fucks it up for the majority (responsible gun owner).  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    26 confirmed dead.

That's like saying the aclu has been proud of protests since trump has taken over.  as a lifetime nra member i am not proud of this.  but again the vast vast minority (irresponsible gun owner) fucks it up for the majority (responsible gun owner).  
    I guess the ultimate question for your side of the debate is set, hasn't changed and won't any time soon.
    That question is; when will scores of people being gunned down in theaters, schools, malls, concerts, sporting events, bars and churches become a bigger motivator to one than one's love of a (frankly, frivolous) hobby.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    26 confirmed dead.

I guess the ultimate question for your side of the debate is set, hasn't changed and won't any time soon.
    That question is; when will scores of people being gunned down in theaters, schools, malls, concerts, sporting events, bars and churches become a bigger motivator to one than one's love of a (frankly, frivolous) hobby.
    Honestly bud, no way anything gets done on the federal level.  We have to look each state to pass the appropriate levels of gun control.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Did not expect too see this when I checked in today. I tend to stay away from the news on the weekends. Crazy, but not surprising. A terrorist killing 8 shut this place down, but this just isn't preventable, right? Sarcasm for those unaware...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    CM189191 said:

You know it’s comng when it’s true. 
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Honestly bud, are you ashamed of being white?  you constantly bash cops, destroy the second amendment as you see fit and defend terrorists like it's nothing.  you aren't the only one on these forums who are like this bud however i'm just wondering why you think the way you do.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Thoughts, prayers, CPR, know your exits, watch the rooftops, be ready, responsible gun owner, too soon, let's not make this political.

Rinse, repeat.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Dishonorable discharged from the military = loss of gun rights.  I guess he missed that rule.

Shooting stopped by a neighbor who got his own rifle apparently. 
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

I'm pretty sure that the carnage is the same... and I'm pretty sure the outrage is the same... so what's true? The way we try to explain motivation?

Nobody is making excuses for this goofy looking bastard just like nobody made excuses for the Vegas prick or Mushroom Head either. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:

Honestly bud, are you ashamed of being white?  you constantly bash cops, destroy the second amendment as you see fit and defend terrorists like it's nothing.  you aren't the only one on these forums who are like this bud however i'm just wondering why you think the way you do.  
    Bash cops? Only when it's warranted.
    Destroy the second amendment as you see fit? I have no idea what you even mean by that. Any law worth its salt can stand up to being debated and discussed.
    Defend terrorists like it's nothing? Give one example if this supposed "defending terrorists", please.

Why you think the way you do? Millions of people outside the US think about guns/gun rights the way that Go Beavers does. In fact, I'd wager probably more people in western democracies think like GB than otherwise. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

I'm pretty sure that the carnage is the same... and I'm pretty sure the outrage is the same... so what's true? The way we try to explain motivation?

Nobody is making excuses for this goofy looking bastard just like nobody made excuses for the Vegas prick or Mushroom Head either. 
    Yes, the way we try to explain motivations. We’ll explore his mental health history, relationship history, etc. all the while trying to confirm the decision that he acted in isolation without influence. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:

I try to make my stance on things clear. Often I comment on what I see as reactions to events and how they are guided by the race and reigion of the people involved. Re: 2nd amendment, my interpretation is that it was written for militias and what militias looked like at the time. Re: cops, I usually disagree with the bad apple theory if racist cops and I think there are departments that foster a racist culture within the force. Definately there’s plenty of great cops out there. I also have strong feelings about due process, search and seizure, and probale cause 
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Dishonorable discharged from the military = loss of gun rights.  I guess he missed that rule.

Pastor should have been armed with an AR-15....think of how many more lives could have been saved.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I would support his decision if he wanted to do that.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Pastor should have been armed with an AR-15....think of how many more lives could have been saved.
    Interesting you say that.  The pastor didn't have a firearm but a citizen in the community did have a legally owned firearm and confronted the shooter. Authorities say the law abiding citizen probable prevented a lot more deaths. 
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

Yes, the way we try to explain motivations. We’ll explore his mental health history, relationship history, etc. all the while trying to confirm the decision that he acted in isolation without influence. 

Of course we will do that. What else have we got to go on?

Generally speaking... the 'terrorist' in the meme is motivated by religious responsibility. The 'thug' is rarely (if ever) responsible for these types of mass killings and rarely uses an assault rifle-their crimes can partially (if not entirely) be explained by their disenfranchisement from mainstream society.

So where does that leave the white f**ked up guy? The guy with all the supposed advantages? What happened?

The lame meme offers nothing.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

Generally speaking... the 'terrorist' in the meme is motivated by religious responsibility. The 'thug' is rarely (if ever) responsible for these types of mass killings and rarely uses an assault rifle-their crimes can partially (if not entirely) be explained by their disenfranchisement from mainstream society.

So where does that leave the white f**ked up guy? The guy with all the supposed advantages? What happened?

This one better?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

This one better?

Not really.

But you don't really pay attention do you? Why are you directing this at me? I've been very outspoken for meaningful gun legislation. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Interesting you say that.  The pastor didn't have a firearm but a citizen in the community did have a legally owned firearm and confronted the shooter. Authorities say the law abiding citizen probable prevented a lot more deaths. 
    Interesting you say that. Imagine if the perp didn't have access to an AR-15,  I wonder how many lives could have been saved by the neighbor given it would have taken longer to cause such carnage.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

Individual motivations when the perpetrator is a minority, are explored much less in depth.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Is it?

Individual motivations when the perpetrator is a minority, are explored much less in depth.
    I don't think I was saying anything different.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    CM189191 said:
    I dont find this accurate at all. Well, the last one ayway, the first two yes.
    All of the high profile cases with white shooters that come to mind that wasnt the case at all. Aurora, Sandy Hook, Vegas they were all described as weird. Yes, they were described as having a mental illness, but that is about the only part that is accurate on that last one. They were described as evil, weird and loners most of the time.
  • Options
    With trump in the same room as Prime Minister Abe, saying the shooting is a mental health issue, maybe trump could ask him how Japan is leaps and bounds ahead of the US with providing mental health services since their gun homicide rate is a small fraction of the US’s. I’m sure gun control has nothing to do with it. 
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Unclear, given this citizen didn't confront him until he was leaving the church. Also apparently he was found dead in his car but article I read didn't clarify whether this armed citizen killed him or he killed himself. Doesn't sound like they stopped him getting away or having the opportunity to kill more people though

"After the shooting, the suspect sped away in a car and was soon cornered by sheriff’s deputies just outside of Wilson County in Guadalupe County, Wilson County Commissioner Larry Wiley told Reuters. He did not know if the shooter died of a self-inflicted gunshot or was killed by deputies."
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
This discussion has been closed.