Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    so if some inept dotard shot up a school with hundreds of people in it, and missed all of them, that wouldn't be classified as a mass shooting incident? bullet casings everywhere, terror reigns through the halls, but not a mass shooting. Hmmmm......
    Yeah I just looked it up and the FBI does say a mass shooting is four or more people dead.  
    So I'm guessing the anti-gun crowd skewed the meaning a little to make that graph look a lot more sinister.
    Thats funny. I guess I never looked directly at FBI stats, come to think of it I was always reading articles that claimed to be quoting FBI stats. Guess they lied.
    I don't think there's a lie being spread or anyone making mass shootings more sinister by the stats being shown. The stats are real. The only difference is how many were killed as opposed to shot by definition of mass shooter. If you don't find the fact that there have been more than 300 incidents where more than 4 people were shot in a single incident this year disturbing and out of control then that's some sinister thinking.
    I disagree with the first part. One of the articles I read was posted here within the last few days that said "according to the FBI...." then goes on to quote mass shootings.
    Not that it makes the incidents it less bad, but it clearly is misquoting data to push a point. I've read multiple articles in this week that talk about mass shooting victims, all included injuries of 4 or more and nearly all claimed to be using the FBI as a source.
    Not that it means we shouldn't do anything about it, but it is skewing or misrepresenting the data.
    I agree that its still disturbing.

Nope, not at all clear that the media is misquoting FBI stats to push a point. The FBI does collect this data, of course; they just don't use that term, but other people are free to use the term. The media may be misrepresenting it but the fact that that's your first conclusion says a lot.

Maybe post a link to an article that you think misrepresents the data an we can take a look.
    Maybe this will help clear up why there is such a misperception out there. Again, I don't think anyone is being misleading, but those referencing the data need to understand what it means.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/04/the-squishy-definition-of-mass-shooting-complicates-media-coverage/?utm_term=.0afa15025993
    Thank you. 

The last bit is particularly interesting - very conservative outlets want such a restrictive definition that it excludes anyone who perpetrated a mass shooting as a means to an end, including when that end is to advance an ideology. That cuts out a lot, of course; how many are there, really, where the gunman has no purpose or goal?  

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    edited October 2017
    Watching CNN: headline says "NRA thinks there should be more restrictions on bump stocks."
    Follow up headline: there could be a GOP led bill banning them as soon as today. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2017
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    mcgruff10 said:
    Watching CNN: headline says "NRA thinks there should be more restrictions on bump stocks."
    Follow up headline: there could be a GOP led bill banning them as soon as today. 
    Kellyanne Conway, that slimy bitch, is blaming the Obama admin for this, saying they should have done something about bump stocks during his admin. Meanwhile, Speaker Ryan says "I didn't even know what these were until this week". So should Obama have been the guy with the crystal ball that should have not only known about these, but also predicted their potential? And why didn't Ryan know what they were if Obama was supposed to?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think I have more disgust for Conway than I do Trump. She just seems evil. He seems just fucking stupid. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kellyanne Conway, that slimy bitch, is blaming the Obama admin for this, saying they should have done something about bump stocks during his admin. Meanwhile, Speaker Ryan says "I didn't even know what these were until this week". So should Obama have been the guy with the crystal ball that should have not only known about these, but also predicted their potential? And why didn't Ryan know what they were if Obama was supposed to?
    aaaaah the jack ass blame game. Got ya. 
    But politics aside and ban these mother fucking devices.  There is absolutely no need to own one. And No grandfathering in either. 
  • Options
    And don't attach any pork to it. Two lines: bump stocks are illegal to possess, transport, sell or manufacture in the United States. Failure to comply will result in 3-5 years in federal jail.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    mcgruff10 said:
    And don't attach any pork to it. Two lines: bump stocks are illegal to possess, transport, sell or manufacture in the United States. Failure to comply will result in 3-5 years in federal jail.  
    And that any device manufactured, designed or intended to be used with the same effect of a bump stock is illegal and heighten the penalty on it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    aaaaah the jack ass blame game. Got ya. 
    But politics aside and ban these mother fucking devices.  There is absolutely no need to own one. And No grandfathering in either. 
    her title should be Whining Secretary to the President. All she does is bitch about the coverage that CNN gives, or doesn't give, to Trump. STFU and go back to the cave you came out of. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Maybe I should have given some background to the video.

It offers a colourful debate on the gun control issue and refers to Australia's exceptional success following gun legislation.

I'd be curious to know what rebuttal gun advocates might serve to assist the spokesperson that gets shredded... no... annihilated in the link? I think there is nothing to offset the blatantly obvious need for reform.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    my2hands said:
    There is no debate.... guns fucking suck
    Cutting to the quick.  Works for me.  I hate them too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,663
    Paul Ryan should spend time in AMT. I posted a video in here of a guy bump shooting an AR 15 a couple years ago. 
  • Options
    Though not always in agreement with Senator Feinstein, I'm all for this:

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?id=CA2F48A6-DFAE-4999-93D1-ED2C7347DC37

"Washington—Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and a number of Democrats today introduced the Automatic Gun Fire Prevention Act, a bill to close a loophole that allows semi-automatic weapons to be easily modified to fire at the rate of automatic weapons, which have been illegal for more than 30 years."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I think I have more disgust for Conway than I do Trump. She just seems evil. He seems just fucking stupid. 
    Lol, I have to agree with you on this....with a name like CON~WAY one can see how she comes up with terms like *alternative facts*. She seriously reminds me of *Eddie* the Iron Maiden mascot. On another music forum someone posted a side by side the resemblance I astounding.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Nails and bolts have a purpose other than a pressure cooker bomb component.  Guns only kill people.  That is their purpose.    Of course we would ban bolts and nails if their only use was to killl people.
    There it is . Totally agree. And nice stats for the u.k brianlux of the chart. Guns have one purpose its not like they were invented as some kind of gardening aid or to use as something else. Made solely to kill.  That should be the end of the thought process but its not but why?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    If i want to get a gun here in the uk. Its made near on impossible and the illegal guns on the street are miniscule compared to knives atm. We have a knife culture here at the present time. I think the horse has bolted in the u.s.a so any restrictions would help in a small way. Mass shootings here are very very rare. Exclude the recent trend of jihadist extremes because thats a new worldwide craze. Lone wolf mentally troubled folk with a gun at a school or event here happens but once every 5-10 years. Agreed too often but mass murder here isn't really an issue daily or weekly like u.s.a 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Change don't come at once a wise man once sang
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Nails and bolts have a purpose other than a pressure cooker bomb component.  Guns only kill people.  That is their purpose.    Of course we would ban bolts and nails if their only use was to killl people.
    Silly rabbit, guns also kill deer, hogs, rabid coyotes, and a number of other game animals that are legal to hunt.  Maybe you are not talking about “those” guns though.  
  • Options
    If i want to get a gun here in the uk. Its made near on impossible and the illegal guns on the street are miniscule compared to knives atm. We have a knife culture here at the present time. I think the horse has bolted in the u.s.a so any restrictions would help in a small way. Mass shootings here are very very rare. Exclude the recent trend of jihadist extremes because thats a new worldwide craze. Lone wolf mentally troubled folk with a gun at a school or event here happens but once every 5-10 years. Agreed too often but mass murder here isn't really an issue daily or weekly like u.s.a 
    Going back a few years it would seem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjgTNoinFU

• Options
    Yeah. But kids here are carrying knives at ridiculously young ages truly worried about my teenage kids going anywhere its so common now.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yeah. But kids here are carrying knives at ridiculously young ages truly worried about my teenage kids going anywhere its so common now.
    You guys should probably consider banning knives now...for the greater good.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Who needs a knife anyway?  I mean the only thing they are used for are cutting, slashing and stabbing.  I don't understand why anyone would want a knife.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Funny. Real funny. When they make a fully auto knife shooter then maybe it would make sense.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Funny. Real funny. When they make a fully auto knife shooter then maybe it would make sense.
    So only full auto knife shooters should be illegal?  What about those scary looking machetes?  Why do people outside of the jungle need them?  What about a bowie knife?  If you aren't in beer country why do you need one?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Imagine life without knives.  Knives are hugely useful.  Sure, they can be used for violent purposes but obliviously most uses are handy and non-violent.  Besides, many things can be used for violent or non-violent purposes- baseball bats,  clubs, guitar necks, bricks, pennies thrown off tall buildings, etc., etc.

But guns?  They were created for one purpose and one purpose only.  You know the rest.

• Options
    I refuse to use anything but a knife to butter my toast.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Imagine life without knives.  Knives are hugely useful.  Sure, they can be used for violent purposes but obliviously most uses are handy and non-violent.  Besides, many things can be used for violent or non-violent purposes- baseball bats,  clubs, guitar necks, bricks, pennies thrown off tall buildings, etc., etc.

But guns?  They were created for one purpose and one purpose only.  You know the rest.
    To start races?  My rifle was actually built for one specific purpose and one purpose only...to hunt deer and hogs.
  • Options
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...

Perhaps we should ban archery lessons, bows and arrows as well.  Heaven forbid it would turn into an Olympic Sporting event for accuracy...oh wait.
This discussion has been closed.