Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah. But kids here are carrying knives at ridiculously young ages truly worried about my teenage kids going anywhere its so common now.
    You guys should probably consider banning knives now...for the greater good.
    Funny. Real funny. When they make a fully auto knife shooter then maybe it would make sense.
    A knife can cut a thousand times without the need to reload.  Some also have grips to aid in their lethality.  I don’t care that some people have hobbies...such as cooking.  If one life could be saved by banning knives, then it is worth it.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...
    Target practice is important, especially for a hunter.  No need to make a wild animal suffer because you were irresponsible and did not zero your scope in accurately...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited October 2017
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.
    It's all a big joke to you, hehe haha hoho, I shoot my bang bang hehe.

Grow up and get a fucking life.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah. But kids here are carrying knives at ridiculously young ages truly worried about my teenage kids going anywhere its so common now.
    Funny. Real funny. When they make a fully auto knife shooter then maybe it would make sense.
    A knife can cut a thousand times without the need to reload.  Some also have grips to aid in their lethality.  I don’t care that some people have hobbies...such as cooking.  If one life could be saved by banning knives, then it is worth it.
    Sorry, your knife = gun analogy is about the dumbest thing I've read in this thread outside of trolling. And you said Brian was trolling the other week....

No one disputes the deadliness of a knife, but you can't bump stock a semi-auto knife wielder so he can stab hundreds of people in 10 minutes from over 200 feet away. Hmm, if I were to choose, would I want to have an active stabber or shooter appear at my work. I wonder which one? This is ridiculous. You must be bored today.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.

Positive post right here.  Constructive criticism too, well done.

The man does have a point though.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...
    Target practice is important, especially for a hunter.  No need to make a wild animal suffer because you were irresponsible and did not zero your scope in accurately...
    Too bad so much time, energy and resources are spent on "zeroing" in your gun for maximum kill factor. I bet that requires hundreds and hundreds of rounds. Oh wait, no it doesn't. An experienced gun owner and shooter probably only needs about a dozen rounds a year to sight in their gun, unless it's completely gone to shit since last year. When I hunted, It was usually about 6 to get that scope/sight where you needed it. There's sighting in your hunting rifle and then there's just plain shooting for the fuck of it. Anybody ever been to the range to zero in their knife wielding/throwing? Didn't think so. It's a close range weapon that leaves the assailant much more vulnerable to being stopped.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

Pretty weak that this is what the pro-gun folks come up with. I guess you've got to hang your hat on something.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    That assumes you can justify killing wild animals.  But we've already been over all that.  I stand by my words.  Guns are made for killing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambs said:

He does not have a point. Please explain to me how a knife even compares to a gun? Is that like comparing writing with a pencil to typing on a computer.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    So only full auto knife shooters should be illegal?  What about those scary looking machetes?  Why do people outside of the jungle need them?  What about a bowie knife?  If you aren't in beer country why do you need one?
    I don't think you'll ever see 500+ killed or injured by some knife wielding maniac from the comfy confines of a hotel window.

The fact that the best argument gun proponents can muster is weakly referring to other objects that have potential to harm speaks volumes regarding how lopsided the debate is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Too bad so much time, energy and resources are spent on "zeroing" in your gun for maximum kill factor. I bet that requires hundreds and hundreds of rounds. Oh wait, no it doesn't. An experienced gun owner and shooter probably only needs about a dozen rounds a year to sight in their gun, unless it's completely gone to shit since last year. When I hunted, It was usually about 6 to get that scope/sight where you needed it. There's sighting in your hunting rifle and then there's just plain shooting for the fuck of it. Anybody ever been to the range to zero in their knife wielding/throwing? Didn't think so. It's a close range weapon that leaves the assailant much more vulnerable to being stopped.
    Nope, but it does take more than 6 shots to practice hitting a 4 inch target at 300 yards away, which is roughly the distance most of your shots are going to be when hunting on the high plains.  
    Regardless, knives and swords should most definitely be banned since they were once weapons of war...not to mention airplanes.  Airplanes should most definitely be banned seeing as how they were designed to be killing machines.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Sorry, your knife = gun analogy is about the dumbest thing I've read in this thread outside of trolling. And you said Brian was trolling the other week....

No one disputes the deadliness of a knife, but you can't bump stock a semi-auto knife wielder so he can stab hundreds of people in 10 minutes from over 200 feet away. Hmm, if I were to choose, would I want to have an active stabber or shooter appear at my work. I wonder which one? This is ridiculous. You must be bored today.
    Very bored today, lol.  I am just trying to make as much sense as the poster that stated “guns are only made to kill people”, lol. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

He does not have a point. Please explain to me how a knife even compares to a gun? Is that like comparing writing with a pencil to typing on a computer.
    Or a bicycle to a car.

I'm not sure why the gun proponents are so concerned? It's not as if anything significant is going to occur that might resemble change.

I'm thinking they'd be best to admit they understand how preservation of their hobby carries such risk, but they don't care. At least that way they don't look like so mindless.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    So only full auto knife shooters should be illegal?  What about those scary looking machetes?  Why do people outside of the jungle need them?  What about a bowie knife?  If you aren't in beer country why do you need one?
    I don't think you'll ever see 500+ killed or injured by some knife wielding maniac from the comfy confines of a hotel window.

The fact that the best argument gun proponents can muster is weakly referring to other objects that have potential to harm speaks volumes regarding how lopsided the debate is.
    If even one life could be saved by banning knives...then it’s worth it.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

Very bored today, lol.  I am just trying to make as much sense as the poster that stated “guns are only made to kill people”, lol. 
    Guns are designed to kill.

Many are designed to kill people. Do you seriously think differently?

• Options

tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Knives/swords have killed millions of people throughout history, since they were made for killing and since people in the UK are not responsible with them...they should probably ban them.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Your only reasonable post in your last string of 10.

I agree that if you are going to use a gun... you should know how to use it.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Knives/swords have killed millions of people throughout history, since they were made for killing and since people in the UK are not responsible with them...they should probably ban them.
    Yes to swords.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:

Guns are designed to kill.

Many are designed to kill people. Do you seriously think differently?

None of the ones I own are designed to kill people, they are designed to kill deer and hogs.  Better ban arrows and crossbows too since someone learned how to make them fully auto:
    https://youtu.be/tbKGjRoSofA
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Your only reasonable post in your last string of 10.

I agree that if you are going to use a gun... you should know how to use it.
    Very true, nothing worse than a hunter shooting the jaw off a deer because they did not learn to shoot accurately.  That pissed me off to no end.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Have fun trolling today :) Maybe write your congressman and let them know they should use this example to make sure no measures are taken against owning as many firearms as possible.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This is middle school level maturity on display, I guess if you'd vote for a manbaby for POTUS it isn't surprising you'd act like one too.

This shit isn't cute and and it isn't clever, it's childish and it's pathetic and it's disrespectful to the victims of a heinous tragedy.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    That assumes you can justify killing wild animals.  But we've already been over all that.  I stand by my words.  Guns are made for killing.
    Even this gun?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_gun

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Nice that the pro-gun folks are willing to put their thought processes right out there, though.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Again, no he doesn't. Also, I am wondering if you had any further thoughts on this which I posted last week. If we want to have some real discussion:
    tbergs said:
    No.

I want to be able to own 17 guns and no one tell me what to do with them.
    What's your middle ground? Where are you willing to meet those seeking more stringent ownership, policy or laws? So we ban bump stocks, big whoop, doesn't change every other gun related murder or mean that they still aren't available through different means. You want 17 guns, someone against guns thinks that's overkill and wants 1. You wouldn't be willing to meet at 10 or less?
    No.  Reason being I am not a fan of the government telling me/you what we can and can't do.  

Also not a fan of taking any rights away.  Once they are gone it's nearly impossible to get them back.  For this instance I'm sure you'd be fine with that but I'm not.

Background checks?  Sure.

National registration?  No.

Gun training mandatory?  Sure.
    Why no on the national registry? Are you concerned that the registry will some day be used to identify everyone who has guns and then they can take them because they know you have them? If that's the mindset, what does it matter if they know for sure? You'll either be using them to defend yourself if you think it's some sort of government coup or what, everyone who owns a gun will be targeted so agents on behalf of the government will be sent to seize their stockpile?

By the way, what does one do with 17 guns upon their death? Will them away? My dad probably has over 50 guns and a stockpile of ammo that I have no idea what I'm going to do with when he dies because I don't want them, but I also don't want them redistributed to people who may use them for harm. I get the gun culture to a degree because I grew up in it, but I don't because it seems paranoid for the excessive ownership.

• Options

rgambs said:
    This is middle school level maturity on display, I guess if you'd vote for a manbaby for POTUS it isn't surprising you'd act like one too.

This shit isn't cute and and it isn't clever, it's childish and it's pathetic and it's disrespectful to the victims of a heinous tragedy.

Not sure what’s up with the personal attacks.  I guess some people are wound pretty tightly around here.  One more reason knives should be banned.  Would not want an anti-gun lunatic running around stabbing people.  Save a life, ban a knife!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Even this gun?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_gun

You're a sick fuck. It's disgusting how you have chosen to respond. I don't always agree with your point, but I have at least though it is based in some sort of fact, but you have completely ruined your stance and credibility with this childish display today.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    edited October 2017
    Holy shit some of you need to learn today's vocabulary word: sarcasm. 
    Del, I am most disappointed with you. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Again, no he doesn't. Also, I am wondering if you had any further thoughts on this which I posted last week. If we want to have some real discussion:
    tbergs said:
    No.

I want to be able to own 17 guns and no one tell me what to do with them.
    What's your middle ground? Where are you willing to meet those seeking more stringent ownership, policy or laws? So we ban bump stocks, big whoop, doesn't change every other gun related murder or mean that they still aren't available through different means. You want 17 guns, someone against guns thinks that's overkill and wants 1. You wouldn't be willing to meet at 10 or less?
    No.  Reason being I am not a fan of the government telling me/you what we can and can't do.  

Also not a fan of taking any rights away.  Once they are gone it's nearly impossible to get them back.  For this instance I'm sure you'd be fine with that but I'm not.

Background checks?  Sure.

National registration?  No.

Gun training mandatory?  Sure.
    Why no on the national registry? Are you concerned that the registry will some day be used to identify everyone who has guns and then they can take them because they know you have them? If that's the mindset, what does it matter if they know for sure? You'll either be using them to defend yourself if you think it's some sort of government coup or what, everyone who owns a gun will be targeted so agents on behalf of the government will be sent to seize their stockpile?

By the way, what does one do with 17 guns upon their death? Will them away? My dad probably has over 50 guns and a stockpile of ammo that I have no idea what I'm going to do with when he dies because I don't want them, but I also don't want them redistributed to people who may use them for harm. I get the gun culture to a degree because I grew up in it, but I don't because it seems paranoid for the excessive ownership.

You should probably melt them all down and throw all of the ammo in a lake...If you turn them into the police, they will auction them off.  Sorry that your father is such a paranoid gun  nut, that must be very difficult.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Holy shit some of you need to learn today's vocabulary word: sarcasm. 
    I'll remember your joy of sarcasm the next time a brown man sets off a bomb in a crowd. Who knows, maybe you'll know some of the deceased so the sarcasm will be all the more appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.