Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Russia don't seem to notice the Gun Violence in America.

http://www.examiner.com/article/russia-turns-to-guns-to-stem-high-murder-rate
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,111
    yes, I did, by accident. I thought by declining to pay on the due date, I was still allowed the 3 month period, but it seems it cancelled it altogether. I kept emailing 10C and they refused to respond. sucks that I lost my number. but whatever.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,976

yes, I did, by accident. I thought by declining to pay on the due date, I was still allowed the 3 month period, but it seems it cancelled it altogether. I kept emailing 10C and they refused to respond. sucks that I lost my number. but whatever.

Ha! I thought I sensed something familiar! Great to see you back here, "Hugh"! :-D

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,869
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2014
    Wonder if Jeff came to our board for his material. Most of his points hashed and rehashed on this board. He is good and enjoy his schtick. Recommend his stand up. Few shows on netflix.

So why is it so hard to get away from this need to have a gun? Insecurities? Fear?

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-cleveland-cop-shoot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-n256656

You really have to stand in awe of our gun culture...a 12 year old playing with a toy gun in a park gets murdered by those meant to protect him....god bless the fucking usa

And the gun nuts wonder why other countries don't have such insane gun laws as us?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    stand in awe? nah. what do we have here? we have a dumb shit who took the orange safety thing off the tip of his bb gun to make it look like a real gun. which it does, I saw the picture. he took that gun out in public and was pointing it at people, which is why there was a call placed to 911. cops said when they showed up they saw the gun on the bench, the kid grabbed it and put it in his waistband. when they told him to get his hands up he reached for the gun and then he got wasted. whether what the cops said is true or not is hard to say, that video sucks ass, it doesn't show everything, frames are missing, and it's really blurry before during and after they shoot him. bottom line was, people thought he had a gun, he was scaring the shit out of people and the cops came to protect the general public. yeah it sucks he's dead, sucks he was just 12, but if you play with fire you get burned.

if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,111

stand in awe? nah. what do we have here? we have a dumb shit who took the orange safety thing off the tip of his bb gun to make it look like a real gun. which it does, I saw the picture. he took that gun out in public and was pointing it at people, which is why there was a call placed to 911. cops said when they showed up they saw the gun on the bench, the kid grabbed it and put it in his waistband. when they told him to get his hands up he reached for the gun and then he got wasted. whether what the cops said is true or not is hard to say, that video sucks ass, it doesn't show everything, frames are missing, and it's really blurry before during and after they shoot him. bottom line was, people thought he had a gun, he was scaring the shit out of people and the cops came to protect the general public. yeah it sucks he's dead, sucks he was just 12, but if you play with fire you get burned.

dumb shit? he was 12. no one that age in their right mind would ever think that could happen to them. the problem here, as I've read it, is the communication breakdown between report and cop; the cops were not told the witness said "it might be a toy". they may have proceeded with less trigger-happiness if they had been told that. or they may have treated it the same, who knows.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a cop; what goes through your mind when you know you might have to shoot a fucking KID. that cop is probably going to blow his own head off, or become an alcoholic, or at the very least be fucked up the rest of his life. it's the culture that made the cop shoot so quickly. if it wasn't so normal for a kid that age to have access to a real gun, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    yeah that would be interesting to find out why that happened, why the dispatcher didn't mention that to the cops. was it an intentional omission or what? for all we know cops might be taught to treat every weapon as real until the situation can be controlled and figured out which would explain why it wasn't mentioned. that is a good point though.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's pretty fucked up that you are legally allowed to carry a gun in plain sight, and the cops are legally allowed to shoot you for it.
    How does that make any sense at all????
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Yeah...stand in awe....I said exactly what I meant. That description of events is pretty detailed given it took two seconds for the car to arrive and the kid to be dead.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    An interesting article from December 2013 about gun deaths in the US in 2013, recently republished/updated. In it the author chronicles attempts to record and publicize all gun deaths for a year, and finds this a difficult task.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2013/12/newtown_anniversary_what_slate_learned_from_trying_and_failing_to_record.html
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,473

Yeah...stand in awe....I said exactly what I meant. That description of events is pretty detailed given it took two seconds for the car to arrive and the kid to be dead.
    Two seconds to pull up determine he was a threat to others bang bang your dead , that is awful .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rgambs said:

It's pretty fucked up that you are legally allowed to carry a gun in plain sight, and the cops are legally allowed to shoot you for it.

The police have always been legally allowed to shoot you. We give them that authority. I know what your meant when you said that, but I think that by in large, Americans forget that.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

The police have always been legally allowed to shoot you. We give them that authority. I know what your meant when you said that, but I think that by in large, Americans forget that.
    Yeah its just messed up that you dont have to be breaking the law for them to have that right. I say ban open carry, then incidents like this are less head scratchy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah its just messed up that you dont have to be breaking the law for them to have that right. I say ban open carry, then incidents like this are less head scratchy.
    Open carry is one of the most backwards policies that could possibly be in existence.

"Honey... have you seen my gun? I can't find it and I'm trying to go to the store."

Seriously?

How unnerving it must be to wait in line at the coffee shop and some one-toothed, scruffy bugger is getting impatient behind you because the line's moving too slowly.

The inmates run the asylum.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Open carry is one of the most backwards policies that could possibly be in existence.

"Honey... have you seen my gun? I can't find it and I'm trying to go to the store."

Seriously?

How unnerving it must be to wait in line at the coffee shop and some one-toothed, scruffy bugger is getting impatient behind you because the line's moving too slowly.

Texas working on bill to allow. Just nuts.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Seriously?

well.....couldn't the coffee shop owner or any business not allow guns in thier stores ?

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Seriously?

well.....couldn't the coffee shop owner or any business not allow guns in thier stores ?

Godfather.

Yes and good point. And as Unsung would probably say it's not caused huge issues for states that have allowed. Still bad thing in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't understand open carry either. I'm fine with conceal carry I just don't see the point of needing to advertise your weapon.

The police have no idea who the bad guys are...no wonder they shoot everyone before asking questions.

• Options
    edited December 2014

I don't understand open carry either. I'm fine with conceal carry I just don't see the point of needing to advertise your weapon.

The police have no idea who the bad guys are...no wonder they shoot everyone before asking questions.

Right and another example of how our mess will fall onto their shoulders.
  • Options
    I don't understand open carry either. I'm fine with conceal carry I just don't see the point of needing to advertise your weapon.<br />
    <br />

I know why some need to advertise their weapons.

They need to be tuff. They know they really aren't tuff and want so badly to be tuff that they walk around with their gun so anybody looking at them might think they're tuff.

At least this is what I think.

Up here in Canada... we obviously don't have anything as ridiculous as 'open carry' (or concealed for that matter). So because this is so... our little wimpy guys that really wanna be tuff go get pitbulls or Rottweilers with massive spiked collars and ropes for leashes. Then they let their powerful dogs drag their little 8 inch arms, long hair, and dental floss legs around downtown to impress people. The dogs serve as the 'tough gadget' for our tuff guys and, unfortunately, do much damage to the reputation of such impressive breeds.

Just as strict background checks are crucial for people buying weapons... people should pass strict background checks to own pitbulls and Rottweilers. I'm not opposed to people owning such dogs provided they are fit to raise them. These scraggly little geeks that I constantly see with them don't strike me as the appropriate types for such dogs given the purpose they have been attained for- looking tuff.

Has Chadwick been banned? I miss this place.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote: »
    It's pretty fucked up that you are legally allowed to carry a gun in plain sight, and the cops are legally allowed to shoot you for it. <br />
    How does that make any sense at all????<br />
    <br />
    The police have always been legally allowed to shoot you. We give them that authority. I know what your meant when you said that, but I think that by in large, Americans forget that. <br />
    <br />
    Yeah its just messed up that you dont have to be breaking the law for them to have that right. I say ban open carry, then incidents like this are less head scratchy.<br />
    <br />
    Open carry is one of the most backwards policies that could possibly be in existence.<br />
    <br />
    "Honey... have you seen my gun? I can't find it and I'm trying to go to the store."<br />
    <br />
    Seriously?<br />
    <br />
    How unnerving it must be to wait in line at the coffee shop and some one-toothed, scruffy bugger is getting impatient behind you because the line's moving too slowly.<br />
    <br />
    The inmates run the asylum.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Texas working on bill to allow. Just nuts. <br />
    <br />
    well.....couldn't the coffee shop owner or any business not allow guns in thier stores ? <br />
    <br />
    Godfather.

I don't know - could they? Wouldn't the gun owners lodge some sort of human rights complaint? After all, their god-given right to bear arms was being infringed upon, correct?
  • Options
    There's no telling where the gun violence will end. Now a dog has shot his owner when told to move from the front seat to the back seat of the truck. Bad dog.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/19/dog-shoots-man-after-being-told-to-move-from-front-seat-to-back-seat/
  • Options

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That age plus four children plus a likely harried shopping trip PLUS a gun readily-available.

This could go in the idiot thread too.

And now there are four without their mother. Without any parent now?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,137
    Has anyone seen this clip from Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.....

http://youtu.be/PIFiJdw0uME

Kids buying guns....amazing only in America. Even I was amazed I could go online and buy a 22 smallbore target rifle....all I needed was my credit card, no ID check, background check NOTHING!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    I saw that ^^^. Really eye opening.

• Options
    I watched it too.

Reeeeee dikkkkkk uuuuuuu luuuuuuss

But you gotta remember, they likely had musket swaps back in the day that saw 12 year old pioneer boys trade a basket of their pa's eggs for a musket.

The forefathers anticipated the country going the way it did with the language they placed in the constitution. I'm positive they planned on everybody owning machine guns and carrying pistols on their hips.

Speaking of machine guns, why draw the line on automatic weapons? What is the rationale for banning automatic weapons? Doesn't the same rationale apply to other weapons as well?

I mean, the gun nuts make the point that a gun doesn't kill people... people kill people. So if that point is legitimate at all, why ban automatic weapons? I'm thinking it's accepted because even the most passionate enthusiasts recognize the great danger inherent with an automatic weapon, yet somehow a 'slightly less' inherent danger is either ignored or accepted with a semiautomatic rifle.
This discussion has been closed.