Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The following thread says it all....

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/248178/the-gun-thread/p10

A thread where people can masturbate over their precious guns.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    No restrictions will come of this. The NRA has become too powerful and the people who support them do so out of misguided emotion instead of critical thinking.

The NRA wants small government?
    Well guess what? The opposite is going to happen. People will keep their guns but we will slowly develop into a police state- and the NRA will be responsible. Sure, you can carry your gun but now hotels will have cameras in the room and checkpoints at check-in.

The police state thing that everyone keeps bringing up. Have any of you ever been to one?

It took me 4-1/2 hours to get through security in Baghdad at the airport.

It took me over an hour and a half to bring our car through a hotel checkpoint in Jordan.

Constant military checkpoints throughout.

I felt more uneasy WITH the added security.

I really think it would be regretful if we went that way.

Don't give into the fear.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited October 2017
    Do Americans never question why you are the only country with this gun culture? Do you not realise that this should seem odd to you? Do you not see the connection between the number of guns and the number of gun deaths? Do you not ask yourselves why so many Americans feel they need guns and why no European citizen feels that same need? Do you never stop for one second to bloody ask yourselves WHY???
    Being ignorant is cool and totally American. I dont say this lightly either. But it’s true. The populations of most any other country I’ve been to including ‘third world’ countries are far more well read than that of the US. The difference is profound. 
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    vaggar99 said:
    Do Americans never question why you are the only country with this gun culture? Do you not realise that this should seem odd to you? Do you not see the connection between the number of guns and the number of gun deaths? Do you not ask yourselves why so many Americans feel they need guns and why no European citizen feels that same need? Do you never stop for one second to bloody ask yourselves WHY???
    Being ignorant is cool and totally American. I dont say this lightly either. But it’s true. The populations of most any other country I’ve been to including ‘third world’ countries is far more well read than that of the US. The difference is profound. 
    A lot of people in Australia are shaking their heads a the USA

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    tbergs said:
    Ok let's just start with putting a restriction on how many guns you can legally purchase go ahead put a number on it is 10 enough ! 
    Good luck. Personally, I'd say three. A handgun, a rifle and a shotgun. The handgun would be for those seeking self defense and the hunters could have their 2 long guns. Maybe an exception for black powder guns since they are limited capacity.
    I bet most logical folks would agree with you I'd sign up for that today , I don't own any guns but respect your right to arm yourself just not for common war fare like this prick had !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    Being ignorant is cool and totally American. I dont say this lightly either. But it’s true. The populations of most any other country I’ve been to including ‘third world’ countries is far more well read than that of the US. The difference is profound. 
    A lot of people in Australia are shaking their heads a the USA

Just now? What took you so long?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    23 guns in his room yet people will say the 2nd amendment has to be 1st and foremost thing to be protected ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    23 guns in his room yet people will say the 2nd amendment has to be 1st and foremost thing to be protected ! 
    and reportedly at least 19 found in his home. 42 guns for one person. but hey responsible gun owners...fuck them
  • Options
    One guy killed or injured over 500 people in (roughly) one hour?

One guy. From one vantage point. Wow. 

I was in Seattle this weekend at the Seahawks game. I picked up the Pearl Jam Rolling Stone magazine on Saturday. As I was browsing the magazine rack... I saw a Guns n' Ammo magazine titled... simply... 'AR15'. There's a magazine for the gun 'enthusiast' where they can look at pictures of an AR15? At the time I saw the title... I kind of chuckled. Looking back at that moment... it seems almost a it of a foreshadowing event.

When we got back to the hotel after the game... I was mortified by the news that was unfolding in real time. Absolutely horrific.

Sorry to put it this way to the 'defenders of the right', but now is actually a moment that is supposed to concern you for the safety of your neighbours and children... not a moment where you feel the need to concern yourself for the preservation of your hobby. 

This is the blueprint for the next mass murder: stay outside of security checkpoints... let people clump together... and then open fire with your rapid fire weapons coupled with large capacity magazines into hordes where you simply cannot miss and they simply cannot flee fast enough. Scary.

This was at the hands of an amateur too. This shithead was a pencil necked coward that wreaked havoc from his makeshift rat hole. As devastating as he proved to be... it could have been worse if it had been a shithead skilled with weapons. 
    Well put. And again our government will do nothing.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    One guy killed or injured over 500 people in (roughly) one hour?

One guy. From one vantage point. Wow. 

I was in Seattle this weekend at the Seahawks game. I picked up the Pearl Jam Rolling Stone magazine on Saturday. As I was browsing the magazine rack... I saw a Guns n' Ammo magazine titled... simply... 'AR15'. There's a magazine for the gun 'enthusiast' where they can look at pictures of an AR15? At the time I saw the title... I kind of chuckled. Looking back at that moment... it seems almost a it of a foreshadowing event.

When we got back to the hotel after the game... I was mortified by the news that was unfolding in real time. Absolutely horrific.

Sorry to put it this way to the 'defenders of the right', but now is actually a moment that is supposed to concern you for the safety of your neighbours and children... not a moment where you feel the need to concern yourself for the preservation of your hobby. 

This is the blueprint for the next mass murder: stay outside of security checkpoints... let people clump together... and then open fire with your rapid fire weapons coupled with large capacity magazines into hordes where you simply cannot miss and they simply cannot flee fast enough. Scary.

This was at the hands of an amateur too. This shithead was a pencil necked coward that wreaked havoc from his makeshift rat hole. As devastating as he proved to be... it could have been worse if it had been a shithead skilled with weapons. 
    Well put. And again our government will do nothing.
    It’s our people.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    Three guns. No American needs more than three guns. Want a hunting rifle? Fine. A handgun for self-defense? Fine. A shotgun for...whatever people do with shotguns? Fine. That's it. All registered to you. If they go missing and end up on the street, making that magical transformation from legal gun to illegal gun, you need to explain how that happened.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    http://toofab.com/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-josh-abbott-band-gun-control-caleb-keeter-2nd-amendment/

this is the kind of shit that pisses me off too.  so now this guy wants gun control because it affected him. so you didn't care until it affected you?  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    http://toofab.com/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-josh-abbott-band-gun-control-caleb-keeter-2nd-amendment/

this is the kind of shit that pisses me off too.  so now this guy wants gun control because it affected him. so you didn't care until it affected you?  
    unfortunately human nature for a lot of people. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    TO ALL OF YOU WHO SAY GUN CONTROL WOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING FOR THIS SITUATION:

from www.cnn.com:

-- Paddock bought multiple firearms in the past, but investigators believe the firearms were purchased legally, a law enforcement official said. The official said initial reports suggest at least one rifle was altered to function as an automatic weapon.
    -- A North Las Vegas gun store sold a shotgun and a rifle to Paddock in the spring. All state and federal requirements, including an FBI background check, were met, said David Famiglietti, president of New Frontier Armory. He said that neither of the weapons "leaving our store (are) capable of what we've seen and heard in the video without modification."
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    The following thread says it all....

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/248178/the-gun-thread/p10

A thread where people can masturbate over their precious guns.
    Ugh.  I wish I didn't know that existed.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more to the environment than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    well I'm not against it, but it's good to know you like to shut down discussions with people who don't agree with you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more to the environment than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    people who hunt for food, I have zero problem with. it's the losers that have a deer or moose head on their wall to lie to the world about the size of their penis. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    Only good part about hunting is sometimes they shoot each other.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well that's just as dumb a thing to say as that CBS VP. Statements like that feed the opposition.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I saw a quote online today (again, one of those quotes with someone's picture next to it, so the veracity can easily be questioned) that said "I don't feel sorry for those people....most country music fans are republicans and gun owners anyway". 

YIKES. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

well I'm not against it, but it's good to know you like to shut down discussions with people who don't agree with you. 
    Hey, I apologized haha.  Usually that’s not the case.  Just stating that I have little respect for those against farming and ranching.  If you believe otherwise, that’s fine, just don’t waste your breath on trying to convince me because our core beliefs obviously conflict.   As for your last comment about skulls of animals on people’s walls...I never really understood the fascination with displaying “trophies”, but they are being perfectly legal and that is their own prerogative.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    I saw a quote online today (again, one of those quotes with someone's picture next to it, so the veracity can easily be questioned) that said "I don't feel sorry for those people....most country music fans are republicans and gun owners anyway". 

YIKES. 
    That was the CBS VP who was fired.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well that's just as dumb a thing to say as that CBS VP. Statements like that feed the opposition.
    Meh.  I won't shed a tear
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Hey, I apologized haha.  Usually that’s not the case.  Just stating that I have little respect for those against farming and ranching.  If you believe otherwise, that’s fine, just don’t waste your breath on trying to convince me because our core beliefs obviously conflict.   As for your last comment about skulls of animals on people’s walls...I never really understood the fascination with displaying “trophies”, but they are being perfectly legal and that is their own prerogative.
    well, this isn't the place for it, but it can be argued that agriculture is having a massive negative impact on the planet we reside on. of course, when it started, no one was even close to understanding how it would impact. However, I think human waste of the products of agriculture have a massive part of it, but that's another thread....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

YIKES. 
    That was the CBS VP who was fired.
    wow. I was hoping that was just another meme that wasn't true. what a twit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Says the sociopath...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Says the sociopath...

and gun owners who want their right to guns more than rights of others to be alive.

or to kill other living creatures.

Yup, I am a sociopath.
This discussion has been closed.