Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I guess I'm an idiot because removing all guns seems like a no brainer to reducing violence and improving society. How could it not? This is no longer primitive times so why do we still think and respond primitively? How much of the food the average person eats in a given year is actually procured via hunting in some way? Seriously, I don't know, but it can't be more then 5%. Yet, we're not doing anything about guns because of hunters and hobby shooters? 
    Five percent of the US is roughly 16 million people. 

It is our right to own guns.  If we can control illegal guns and get them off the streets then we could mildly entertain the idea of a gun ban or further limit who has access to them.  But a gun ban does nothing to address the gun problems we have.  You are just taking away from legal owners and rewarding illegal owners.
    Right. It's the obsession with guns that has to stop..... that will take several generations if Americans start actually working on it today. But they aren't, so obviously there is no solution in site. I don't have any hope in America working this problem out in any of our lifetimes. I think it will just get worse, actually. And I always fear that this problem will slowly bleed into Canada as well. It hasn't yet, but I still worry about it.
    As for the hunting/food question... I think there are very few people in the USA who actually have to hunt in order to eat. 5% seems like a very huge number to me if we're talking necessity.
    Please explain this "gun obsession" that keeps getting thrown out.  I really don't understand it at all.  It's a term that I really don't get.  
    I'm just talking about the fixation that America has on guns. The one that causes them to rabidly claim that it's their god given right and to resist regulation, the one that makes gun stores and gun shows common place, the one that has guns being sold in department stores, the one that inspires people to cheer on a fucking politician running for office who pulls out a fucking pistol during a campaign rally, and the one that makes it legal to carry guns to political rallies or stalk Muslims outside of their mosques with a gun hanging off a shoulder, and the one that inspires people to proudly pose with guns for their Christmas cards and facebook pages .... FYI, those things are really, REALLY not normal at all in other developed nations. Yes, American citizens are obsessed with guns compared to the rest of the world.
    You just took the worst situations and painted everyone whom is a firearm enthusiast with one big broad stroke...  Bravo.

No I didn't. That is just what you decided to assume I meant. Maybe just assume I'm not an idiot or insane and it will read different. I think if you do that, it will be clear that I'm obviously pointing out indicators that show that America is different compared to everywhere else. These indicators definitely show that America has a gun obsession in relation to the rest of the world.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    PETA supporters?? PETA is just full of complete nutcases. Using PETA in any argument just doesn't work, since no really reasonable person agrees with what they do. And you're mistaken about a lot of other things in this post (LMAO, what kind of gun advocate sites are you reading where they have managed to convince you that hunters and cullers do more good for the environment than environmentalists?? :lol: And you think it's great that hunting license fees go to the habitat restoration of the animals you use that license to kill? Okie dokie. That is some twisted logic. How about just donate to habitat restoration without killing the animals?). But in any case, as I've said, it all boils down to one thing: Killing a wild animal and feeling anything other than sorrow is disgusting.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    Wrong.  Don't talk about things of which you have little or no knowledge. 
    Oh I have plenty of knowledge in this area and that portion of my comment is most definitely correct.  They are the same ones that try to load deer into their cars in Yellowstone to “save them”.  I have several aquantances in the forest service that have stayed what I just did.
    Forest service.   Ahhh, right...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I guess I'm an idiot because removing all guns seems like a no brainer to reducing violence and improving society. How could it not? This is no longer primitive times so why do we still think and respond primitively? How much of the food the average person eats in a given year is actually procured via hunting in some way? Seriously, I don't know, but it can't be more then 5%. Yet, we're not doing anything about guns because of hunters and hobby shooters? 

It is our right to own guns.  If we can control illegal guns and get them off the streets then we could mildly entertain the idea of a gun ban or further limit who has access to them.  But a gun ban does nothing to address the gun problems we have.  You are just taking away from legal owners and rewarding illegal owners.
    Right. It's the obsession with guns that has to stop..... that will take several generations if Americans start actually working on it today. But they aren't, so obviously there is no solution in site. I don't have any hope in America working this problem out in any of our lifetimes. I think it will just get worse, actually. And I always fear that this problem will slowly bleed into Canada as well. It hasn't yet, but I still worry about it.
    As for the hunting/food question... I think there are very few people in the USA who actually have to hunt in order to eat. 5% seems like a very huge number to me if we're talking necessity.
    Please explain this "gun obsession" that keeps getting thrown out.  I really don't understand it at all.  It's a term that I really don't get.  
    I'm just talking about the fixation that America has on guns. The one that causes them to rabidly claim that it's their god given right and to resist regulation, the one that makes gun stores and gun shows common place, the one that has guns being sold in department stores, the one that inspires people to cheer on a fucking politician running for office who pulls out a fucking pistol during a campaign rally, and the one that makes it legal to carry guns to political rallies or stalk Muslims outside of their mosques with a gun hanging off a shoulder, and the one that inspires people to proudly pose with guns for their Christmas cards and facebook pages .... FYI, those things are really, REALLY not normal at all in other developed nations. Yes, American citizens are obsessed with guns compared to the rest of the world.
    You just took the worst situations and painted everyone whom is a firearm enthusiast with one big broad stroke...  Bravo.

No I didn't. That is just what you decided to assume I meant. Maybe just assume I'm not an idiot or insane and it will read different. I think if you do that, it will be clear that I'm obviously pointing out indicators that show that America is different compared to everywhere else. These indicators definitely show that America has a gun obsession in relation to the rest of the world.
    You are correct that these are NOT normal actions and most gun owners don't do this stupid shit.

If I'm reading into it wrong then my apologies but it looks like you think all gun owners do this or it happens all the time where it's all just a worst case scenario.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Jason P said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:
    They are saying he used a legal device called a "bump grip" that allows a semi-auto gun to do this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEGonNmvuQ

It uses the recoil of the gun to reset the trigger which would take some practice to get used to. 

For $1K you can buy a semi-auto and a legal mod that is almost as effective as an illegal machine gun in today's world (as witnessed a few days ago)
    If they make the gun automatic then they are illegal.  I'm almost positive there have been no new automatic weapons made since 1986.  
    It's not automatic because the finger is technically pulling the trigger due to the recoil.  But it is as fast as full auto.
    True true. You got me.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Country Stars React to Las Vegas Shooting: ‘I Cannot Express How Wrong I Was’
    By NIRAJ CHOKSHI and JOE COSCARELLI OCT. 2, 2017

Caleb Keeter of the Josh Abbott Band, which was part of the weekend lineup in Las Vegas, said he had changed his mind on the need for gun control after the shooting. Credit Amy Harris/Invision, via Associated Press
    Read the latest on the Las Vegas shooting with Tuesday’s live updates.

Country music artists and other performers expressed words of sympathy as well as frustration over gun violence on Monday as they mourned the mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert. One guitarist who played there said that the killings had changed his views on gun laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/jason-aldean-vegas-shooting.html
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:
    They are saying he used a legal device called a "bump grip" that allows a semi-auto gun to do this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEGonNmvuQ

It uses the recoil of the gun to reset the trigger which would take some practice to get used to. 

For $1K you can buy a semi-auto and a legal mod that is almost as effective as an illegal machine gun in today's world (as witnessed a few days ago)
    If they make the gun automatic then they are illegal.  I'm almost positive there have been no new automatic weapons made since 1986.  
    It's not automatic because the finger is technically pulling the trigger due to the recoil.  But it is as fast as full auto.
    True true. You got me.  ;)
    But it is "altering" a firearm which is illegal to do.  You might be allowed to buy something but can't put it on the gun unless you have a class 3 stamp.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:
    America giving itself a giant pat on the back today. Trying to find the positive in the massacre and sweeping the truth under the rug.

The truth is America needs to start banning these military styled weapons and pulling them off the streets and out of peoples homes. Otherwise these massacres will not stop.

You want a hunting rifle, great. Take proper training courses, have background checks and register that rifle. That's all any sane person needs. No civilian needs a handgun or shotgun, let alone an AR-15.

why no shotgun? i grew up hunting with my dad & his dad. my first shotgun was a kid's model single shot.  
    Seriously, you do not hunt birds with a rifle.  That line of thought gives the NRA grounds to say “see, they do want to take away all of your firearms.  Give an inch and they will take a mile”.  “No shotguns”... my eyes almost rolled out the back of my head.
    Keep those eyes rolling. If you can't hunt with a single rifle maybe its time to take up a new hobby. I have a few friends and family members who are avid hunters who seem to do just fine with one rifle and a compound bow. But it's about the hunt and the food for them, not getting their jollies off with a big gun.

Also don't hide behind the NRA, your statements on here over time make where you stand clear.

As long as you can have your toys these massacres will continue to happen and you will never be able to wipe the blood from your hands.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Kat said:

Caleb Keeter of the Josh Abbott Band, which was part of the weekend lineup in Las Vegas, said he had changed his mind on the need for gun control after the shooting. Credit Amy Harris/Invision, via Associated Press

Country music artists and other performers expressed words of sympathy as well as frustration over gun violence on Monday as they mourned the mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert. One guitarist who played there said that the killings had changed his views on gun laws.

I saw this elsewhere and thought it was great as well.  To bad 59 people had to die and many hundreds traumatized for life for someone to get it.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You are correct that these are NOT normal actions and most gun owners don't do this stupid shit.

If I'm reading into it wrong then my apologies but it looks like you think all gun owners do this or it happens all the time where it's all just a worst case scenario.
    Again, if you just assume that I'm not nuts, that isn't how it will come off. ;) I take it for granted that everyone here will know that not all descriptions apply to everybody. I mean, come on man, I think you know me well enough to know that I don't think every single gun owner does any of the things I listed. That would be so unreasonable, I'm surprised it even crossed your mind. I think it was clear that I was using those as examples of the indicators of America's gun obsession. I said that such things don't happen in other countries, not that everyone does them. That they happen at all is the whole point of my post.
    But let's acknowledge a couple things: there are plenty of instances where gun owners show up to rallies and protests with guns slung over their shoulders - I'm not talking a every day occurrence, but that is only because those rallies don't happen every day - and there are a LOT of gun owners in America who pose with guns for photos (for Xmas cards less often, but we both know it's done), and it is actually 100% true that gun stores and gun shows are common place in America - I don't know why you would suggest that those are extremes or worst case scenarios. That really aren't. :confused: Yes, the Mosque thing is, and the politician with the gun on stage is, but just that fact that they happened at all and arrests weren't made highlights the point I was making. I mean, so does this: tons and tons of photos online, all with different people in them, of children with guns. That isn't normal either. Of course that doesn't mean every gun owner does that. But it means something about American gun culture, and I think trying to pretend it doesn't is dangerous.

Not normal.

Not Normal.

Not normal.

.... There are literally millions of American children who are taught to love guns man. That's not normal.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:
    America giving itself a giant pat on the back today. Trying to find the positive in the massacre and sweeping the truth under the rug.

The truth is America needs to start banning these military styled weapons and pulling them off the streets and out of peoples homes. Otherwise these massacres will not stop.

You want a hunting rifle, great. Take proper training courses, have background checks and register that rifle. That's all any sane person needs. No civilian needs a handgun or shotgun, let alone an AR-15.

why no shotgun? i grew up hunting with my dad & his dad. my first shotgun was a kid's model single shot.  
    Seriously, you do not hunt birds with a rifle.  That line of thought gives the NRA grounds to say “see, they do want to take away all of your firearms.  Give an inch and they will take a mile”.  “No shotguns”... my eyes almost rolled out the back of my head.
    Keep those eyes rolling. If you can't hunt with a single rifle maybe its time to take up a new hobby. I have a few friends and family members who are avid hunters who seem to do just fine with one rifle and a compound bow. But it's about the hunt and the food for them, not getting their jollies off with a big gun.

Also don't hide behind the NRA, your statements on here over time make where you stand clear.

As long as you can have your toys these massacres will continue to happen and you will never be able to wipe the blood from your hands.
    There is zero way to bird hunt with a rifle so please just stop; that is just an asinine thought.  There would be so many safety issues if this was the case.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:

There is zero way to bird hunt with a rifle so please just stop.  That is just an asinine thought.  

Oh really?

How were (flying) birds hunted before shotguns?

Typically, people would wait for them to land.

Cheeky, perhaps, but that's how it was done. Modern shotgun hunting is a fairly lazy sport, done more for fun than for food. People march through a forest making all sorts of noise and startling birds into flight so the hunters can shoot them on reflex.

When it was an important part of your diet, what you would do is be very careful not to make any noise, try to cover up your scent, look for their shapes in the brush, and kill them with whichever missile you prefer.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention Egyptian fowling! Egyptian noblemen would have their servants cast nets at the fowl they hunted, and while the fowl were struggling to take off the hunters would kill them with spears and throwing clubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3t39gp/how_were_flying_birds_hunted_before_shotguns/?st=j8bw08nt&sh=8eb93591

• Options
    Ugh, okay, one rifle and one shotgun then, if you like to shoot birds out of the sky as they are minding their own business. So that's two guns. Not 10 or 20. I think the point was still clear.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:

There is zero way to bird hunt with a rifle so please just stop.  That is just an asinine thought.  

Oh really?

Cheeky, perhaps, but that's how it was done. Modern shotgun hunting is a fairly lazy sport, done more for fun than for food. People march through a forest making all sorts of noise and startling birds into flight so the hunters can shoot them on reflex.

When it was an important part of your diet, what you would do is be very careful not to make any noise, try to cover up your scent, look for their shapes in the brush, and kill them with whichever missile you prefer.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention Egyptian fowling! Egyptian noblemen would have their servants cast nets at the fowl they hunted, and while the fowl were struggling to take off the hunters would kill them with spears and throwing clubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3t39gp/how_were_flying_birds_hunted_before_shotguns/?st=j8bw08nt&sh=8eb93591

soooooo..where's the part about hunting birds with a rifle?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:

There is zero way to bird hunt with a rifle so please just stop; that is just an asinine thought.  There would be so many safety issues if this was the case.

Duck Hunt on Nintendo taught me differently. that fucking dog was always laughing at me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Since 1994 personal gun ownership in the states has gone up 59% but homicides by guns has dropped by 49%... there's absolutely no correlation between the amount of guns and homicides by gun.

also, the weapons he used yesterday were NOT automatic rifles, they were modified to be.  The difference is that since 1932 when automatic rifles had been outlawed, there has only been 3 crimes involving automatics on US soil.  3.... not including yesterday obviously since they weren't automatics.

I personally think that there's no reason a civilian should be able to purchase an assault rifle and they therefore should be outlawed.
    gun ownership is by far the highest in america as compared to other developed nations. (88 guns per 100 people, second place is 54 guns per 100, and it's Yemen. YEMEN)
    americans are 25 times more likely to be murdered by a gun than any other developed nation. 

conclusion: this statement "there's absolutely no correlation between the amount of guns and homicides by gun" is FALSE. 
    Ok I completely agree that where there's more guns there's going to be more gun deaths, especially when compared to countries without as many guns...that's not really what I meant though.

if gun homicides dropped by half but gun purchases doubled, having more guns does not equate to more gun murders as far as percentages go. There's a threshold obviously where after a certain point it doesn't matter how many guns there are, homicides by them don't go up, they go down... substantially.  Just pointing out the numbers to those who say otherwise.

again, my take is that it's not how many guns are around, it's the type of guns that are around.  Assault style weapons are hard to prove necessary in my mind- get rid of them and the crazies are left to use hand guns or make bombs.  Which you can kill still kill lots of people with, but it's certainly not as easy.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I read a tweet from someone recently, and others have expressed this same sentiment here:

"the gun control debate is over, and has been since Sandy Hook. when America revealed that they thought it was acceptable when children were murdered at their school, the debate was dead". or something to that effect. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    chadwick said:
    dignin said:

Oh really?

soooooo..where's the part about hunting birds with a rifle?
    Are you really that slow or are you just yanking my chain?

I've never been on a bird hunt but my brother in-law used to go every year up to Nipewin Saskatchewan to kill snow geese. They would kill hundreds and never eat a bird....because they taste like shit.

Just for the sport of it.

I grew up with a little .22 rifle. Shot all kinds of critters with it. Mostly gophers but the odd bird. Feel pretty guilty about it now, but I was just a kid.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wrong.  Don't talk about things of which you have little or no knowledge. 
    Oh I have plenty of knowledge in this area and that portion of my comment is most definitely correct.  They are the same ones that try to load deer into their cars in Yellowstone to “save them”.  I have several aquantances in the forest service that have stayed what I just did.
    Forest service.   Ahhh, right...
    You’re right, I should believe some eccentric on the AMT forums.  Much more credible sources here...
  • Options
    Lol, acquaintances who work for the forest service telling anecdotal stories is not a credible source either dude.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    edited October 2017
    Kat said:

I posted a story about this earlier.  So he was fine with guns until it affected him? well how about all those what were affected before Vegas? I mean even children getting killed didn't change his mind until all the sudden guns were aimed near him? glad he changed his so wrong attitude but that came a bit too late for some.  
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ugh, okay, one rifle and one shotgun then, if you like to shoot birds out of the sky as they are minding their own business. So that's two guns. Not 10 or 20. I think the point was still clear.
    I thought we were talking about realistic avenues for change.  Any similar legislation to what the two of you are proposing would get laughed out of existence by both, democrats and republicans...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Its harder to adopt a dog in this country then to purchase a gun !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I thought we were talking about realistic avenues for change.  Any similar legislation to what the two of you are proposing would get laughed out of existence by both, democrats and republicans...
    What do you think I'm proposing??
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Oh come on!  This is a ridiculous statement.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    Oh come on!  This is a ridiculous statement.
    No it isn't. In many states it is indeed easier to buy a gun than adopt a dog from the SPCA.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Um...exactly what you mentioned... “two guns” 
  • Options
    I personally don't think it matters how many guns a person owns. I think it matters the type they are allowed to own. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I think the culture that leads to people wanting to own 20 guns is what we need to be concerned about, and the fact that each person who does it is perpetuating that culture and passing it along.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Um...exactly what you mentioned... “two guns” 
    I wasn't proposing a damn thing. I was simply saying that what he meant in his post was clear.
This discussion has been closed.