• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Life is full of IFs...how do you ever leave the house?

Oh please. The gun nuts are the ones who are scared all the time. That's how they justify the guns. Protection, right?
    But I am in Canada. We don't have to worry about stupid shit like open carry. To us the idea is absolutely idiotic.
    "Us"? Are you now the spokesperson for all Canadians? Haven't discussed open carry with them specifically, but I have several born and raised Canadian friends that have the complete opposite view as you and complain about your firearm restrictions. They say "aboot" instead of "about" and everything, lol
    Us means the majority. The vast majority. I think I can speak to the general feelings towards guns in my own country. We don't have "gun culture" here, and yeah, open carry is not even on the radar screen. And as you said, your friends, who I guess are all Newfies if they say aboot, since other Canadians don't really talk like that, never told you that they advocate for open carry in Canada, which is specifically what I was talking about. You remind me of someone else who once tried to tell me the Canadians want a gun culture like the US because he knows some of them from a gun nut message board, lol. There are always exceptions to the rule. Most of us aren't so stupid as to think that the US is closer to a good system in terms of guns. I think Canada has more guns per capita than the US actually, but a miniscule number of gun deaths and crimes per capita compared to the US. There is a good reason that thise stats exist. It boils down to gun culture. I mean, most of the developed world knows the US gun culture is crazy and harmful.
    (So how many born and raised Canadian gun supporters do you know, and how? Several suggests that you must have almost gone out of your way to meet Canadian gun advocates)
    Most of them are actually "Newfies". Working class who hunt and live in rural areas. I have met them through many different avenues. A couple at one of my friend's wedding, one at a PJ concert, others through my job. Oddly enough, most that I have met complain that the restrictions in Canada are ridiculous, but that's all hear say. They actually make fun of the Canadian city dwellers as I'm sure the opposite applies as well. Guess it's just a matter of perspective.
    Well over 80% of Canadians live in urban areas, lol, and no, we don't tend to go around making fun of people who live in rural areas. So your friends sound a bit like idiots, sorry. What exactly are they whining about? They are allowed to have hunting rifles and other guns within reason assuming they haven't had legal trouble, so what is their problem exactly? They must have some pretty unreasonable and pointless demands if they have guns and can use them but are still complaining. Forgive me if I don't use your little scenario as proof that Canadians don't think the US gun culture is nuts.
    I was merely pointing out that your use of "us" is misleading. If you want to call people idiots, gun nuts, etc, that's all you. There are people in your country that have different viewpoints, but that doesn't make them idiots. There are plenty people in the US that think Cacadians are dumb as shit, but I would never say "we" as a whole do. Their main beef is the rules and regulations surrounding handguns and semi-auto rifles, but I've never really looked into the exact rules and regulations of Canadian laws because they do not really concern me. I sure hope all Canadians are not as condescending as you... I'm all about moving your little border down and letting you guys deal with Detroit and Chicago. They dramatically raise those "stats" you speak of. It's not the gun culture, it's the gang/drug/poverty culture that is the problem...or maybe even Liberals seeing as though most mass shootings have been committed by registered democrats.
  • unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

Your fear doesn't trump my right to defend myself.

And please with statements such as telling me my right to own isn't valid. Nope, nobody wanting to take our guns away, nope.

If you feel the need to carry a gun everywhere you go, I can assure you that YOU are the one who is afraid.
    Of course I have fear, have you not watched the news lately? It's your goon squads out there causing the chaos.
    "goon squads"???
    Think he meant to quote Godfather. :wink:
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

I assume that's his word for police.

Whatever criminal gang it happens to be.
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

And please with statements such as telling me my right to own isn't valid. Nope, nobody wanting to take our guns away, nope.

If you feel the need to carry a gun everywhere you go, I can assure you that YOU are the one who is afraid.
    Of course I have fear, have you not watched the news lately? It's your goon squads out there causing the chaos.
    Who? Goon squads? Huh? And what has Seanwon got to do with whoever you are talking about?
    And why are you harping on us about being scared when you are admittedly the one with fear?
    I am aware. I carry because I exist alongside the most dangerous species on Earth.

You fear an inanimate object.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

Who? Goon squads? Huh? And what has Seanwon got to do with whoever you are talking about?
    And why are you harping on us about being scared when you are admittedly the one with fear?
    I am aware. I carry because I exist alongside the most dangerous species on Earth.

it gets pretty damn animate from what I've seen.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    seanwon said:

unsung said:

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH !!!!!!!!! if you feel the need to drive then I assure you that YOU are the one who is lazy.
    good grief anti gun folks are seriously confused.

Godfather.

• Unsung, thank you for admitting you feel fear. I do too. Don't know why some people consider that natural human response to be only negative. Fear can be a good thing. Fear can keep you alive.
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Life is full of IFs...how do you ever leave the house?

Oh please. The gun nuts are the ones who are scared all the time. That's how they justify the guns. Protection, right?
    But I am in Canada. We don't have to worry about stupid shit like open carry. To us the idea is absolutely idiotic.
    "Us"? Are you now the spokesperson for all Canadians? Haven't discussed open carry with them specifically, but I have several born and raised Canadian friends that have the complete opposite view as you and complain about your firearm restrictions. They say "aboot" instead of "about" and everything, lol
    Us means the majority. The vast majority. I think I can speak to the general feelings towards guns in my own country. We don't have "gun culture" here, and yeah, open carry is not even on the radar screen. And as you said, your friends, who I guess are all Newfies if they say aboot, since other Canadians don't really talk like that, never told you that they advocate for open carry in Canada, which is specifically what I was talking about. You remind me of someone else who once tried to tell me the Canadians want a gun culture like the US because he knows some of them from a gun nut message board, lol. There are always exceptions to the rule. Most of us aren't so stupid as to think that the US is closer to a good system in terms of guns. I think Canada has more guns per capita than the US actually, but a miniscule number of gun deaths and crimes per capita compared to the US. There is a good reason that thise stats exist. It boils down to gun culture. I mean, most of the developed world knows the US gun culture is crazy and harmful.
    (So how many born and raised Canadian gun supporters do you know, and how? Several suggests that you must have almost gone out of your way to meet Canadian gun advocates)
    Most of them are actually "Newfies". Working class who hunt and live in rural areas. I have met them through many different avenues. A couple at one of my friend's wedding, one at a PJ concert, others through my job. Oddly enough, most that I have met complain that the restrictions in Canada are ridiculous, but that's all hear say. They actually make fun of the Canadian city dwellers as I'm sure the opposite applies as well. Guess it's just a matter of perspective.
    Well over 80% of Canadians live in urban areas, lol, and no, we don't tend to go around making fun of people who live in rural areas. So your friends sound a bit like idiots, sorry. What exactly are they whining about? They are allowed to have hunting rifles and other guns within reason assuming they haven't had legal trouble, so what is their problem exactly? They must have some pretty unreasonable and pointless demands if they have guns and can use them but are still complaining. Forgive me if I don't use your little scenario as proof that Canadians don't think the US gun culture is nuts.
    I was merely pointing out that your use of "us" is misleading. If you want to call people idiots, gun nuts, etc, that's all you. There are people in your country that have different viewpoints, but that doesn't make them idiots. There are plenty people in the US that think Cacadians are dumb as shit, but I would never say "we" as a whole do. Their main beef is the rules and regulations surrounding handguns and semi-auto rifles, but I've never really looked into the exact rules and regulations of Canadian laws because they do not really concern me. I sure hope all Canadians are not as condescending as you... I'm all about moving your little border down and letting you guys deal with Detroit and Chicago. They dramatically raise those "stats" you speak of. It's not the gun culture, it's the gang/drug/poverty culture that is the problem...or maybe even Liberals seeing as though most mass shootings have been committed by registered democrats.
    seriously? plenty of people in the US that think Canadians are dumb as shit? what kind of general comment is this? based in zero reality I'm guessing. on the contrary, our national IQ average is higher than America's. Not that this matters. it's moot.

If anyone, from any country, thinks someone is a moron for the simple fact they live outside a major centre, is lacking in some general common sense.

blaming mass shootings on partisanship.....now that's a new one. :rofl:

www.headstonesband.com

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382

Unsung, thank you for admitting you feel fear. I do too. Don't know why some people consider that natural human response to be only negative. Fear can be a good thing. Fear can keep you alive.

For me it s fear and just being prepared for the worst. Yeah chances are slim that something like a hurricane will hit and cause millions of people to lose power for two weeks even three weeks in some spots. Oh wait, that happened here in 2012.
    You had looting going on and people with firearms were able to defend their homes. God forbid the power stayed off for three or more weeks things would have gotten interesting real quick.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Unsung, thank you for admitting you feel fear. I do too. Don't know why some people consider that natural human response to be only negative. Fear can be a good thing. Fear can keep you alive.

Damn straight. Only a fool refuses to acknowledge it.

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

Interesting. Must be one of those new smart guns. I've never seen one load itself and then walk outside to point itself at moving people.
    edited September 2016
    unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

Interesting. Must be one of those new smart guns. I've never seen one load itself and then walk outside to point itself at moving people.
    I think Apple is putting it out. load your favourite tunes so you can listen to Ted Nugent and even has a camera so you can record who you are shooting all with one device! it also supports a new app called "auto erase" if you "accidentally" shoot a black person.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

Are they popular with police?
  • unsung said:

Damn straight. Only a fool refuses to acknowledge it.
    I agree I'm afraid of guns never shot one never held one , I'm 56 my whole life I've lived a peaceful one no need for guns in my life ..
    I respect you right to feel how ever you want and to own what ever you need !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I saw an armed Garda (police officer) manning a checkpoint last weekend and it made me very uncomfortable. We find it weird to even see our law enforcers bearing arms!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870

I saw an armed Garda (police officer) manning a checkpoint last weekend and it made me very uncomfortable. We find it weird to even see our law enforcers bearing arms!

Ditto. Apparently, at remembrance day ceremonies in Canada, right after that attack on the Parliament Buildings a couple years ago (turned out to be a lone mental case), some cops were bearing arms for security. It was some kind of overreaction on some local polices forces' doing. Well, it pissed everyone off and made everyone very uncomfortable. There was even some amount of outraged. Kind of a scandal. People found it incredibly inappropriate to bear arms like that towards the citizens at a ceremony honouring those who serve our country. Not to mention rude.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    Really? The mere sight of a gun in the holster of a trained professional makes you uncomfortable?

I understand that a lot of people are anti-gun but that seems overly sensitive.

Maybe it's just the crazy, weirdo, gun nut American perspective in me that makes it seem odd.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

seanwon said:

unsung said:

I think Apple is putting it out. load your favourite tunes so you can listen to Ted Nugent and even has a camera so you can record who you are shooting all with one device! it also supports a new app called "auto erase" if you "accidentally" shoot a black person.
    LOL! Well done, sir!
    edited September 2016
    dudeman said:

Really? The mere sight of a gun in the holster of a trained professional makes you uncomfortable?

Maybe it's just the crazy, weirdo, gun nut American perspective in me that makes it seem odd.

No, not in a holster. All cops in Canada have guns. I said bearing arms. I.e. standing there holding big ass assault weapons in their hands. Many of them. At a Remembrance Day ceremony.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

No, not in a holster. All cops in Canada have guns. I said bearing arms. I.e. standing there holding big ass assault weapons in their hands. Many of them. At a Remembrance Day ceremony.
    That might be bare arms rather than bear arms.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Okay
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Why not arm the bears?
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Even so. I fail to see the issue. They are trained professionals.
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

They probably looked scary
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Guns are scary. If you don't think so, you probably don't respect them enough.

I remember a long time ago walking back to our hotel in Puerto Vallarta: we walked by the Corona outlet... there was an armed guard with an ak47. He wasn't smiling and I had a sober thought: his decision making is all that stands between me walking by or me becoming Swiss cheese.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

I remember a long time ago walking back to our hotel in Puerto Vallarta: we walked by the Corona outlet... there was an armed guard with an ak47. He wasn't smiling and I had a sober thought: his decision making is all that stands between me walking by or me becoming Swiss cheese.
    Served in the military where there were times I literally had to hold and sleep with my M16, which IS an assault weapon. Was trained and educated on how the rifle assembled, disassembled, functioned, trained to troubleshoot malfunctions. The rifle was a tool, just like my boots, shovel, and flashlight were. It served to protect myself, my fellow soldiers, and innocent people who could not protect themselves. Respect for firearms is something that is not lacking. Firearms are not scary if you educate yourself on them. What is scary, as your illustrated in your example, are the PEOPLE who posses them and are not educated, trained, responsible and respectful. Those PEOPLE are dangerous regaurdless of their choice of weapon, not the weapon itself.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    dudeman said:

we assume well trained and proficient. not always the case.

similar to this , what do you call the person who finished last in their class at med school?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Served in the military where there were times I literally had to hold and sleep with my M16, which IS an assault weapon. Was trained and educated on how the rifle assembled, disassembled, functioned, trained to troubleshoot malfunctions. The rifle was a tool, just like my boots, shovel, and flashlight were. It served to protect myself, my fellow soldiers, and innocent people who could not protect themselves. Respect for firearms is something that is not lacking. Firearms are not scary if you educate yourself on them. What is scary, as your illustrated in your example, are the PEOPLE who posses them and are not educated, trained, responsible and respectful. Those PEOPLE are dangerous regaurdless of their choice of weapon, not the weapon itself.
    I understand this argument and it does stand to logic; however, it falls down for me at the point where, as you said, PEOPLE access these very deadly tools and use them against other people.

The current legal format for purchasing and owning weapons fails.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

mickeyrat brings up a good point which I agree with, but even if all of these individuals holding the guns are trained professionals the concern stands. Many of us (I would hazard a guess it's most of us, but I don't know that there are any stats on this) don't want to have these weapons present at such events. Their presence completely changes the atmosphere, and for the vast, vast majority of times we don't need them. There is really no need to give in to this assumption that such weapons are necessary or desirable.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

I understand this argument and it does stand to logic; however, it falls down for me at the point where, as you said, PEOPLE access these very deadly tools and use them against other people.

The current legal format for purchasing and owning weapons fails.
    While part of me agrees with you a part of me still believes that the current laws need to be enforced before any new laws are put in place. Our current laws are just not being enforced enough to make any change. Also this is a "never satisfied" subject. New laws, restrictions, regulations, and standards could be put in place but you will never have complete compliance. Someone will choose to do use a firearm in a crime despite any of the above mentioned. Then what?? More laws and regulations?? Let's really push to enforce current laws with strict penalties, let's put some resources behind understanding and treating mental illnesses, let's be proactive to keeping guns out of criminals hands instead of reactive. The end goal is the same from both sides. Reduce gun violence and crime.
This discussion has been closed.