America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

I was at my buddy's cottage over the weekend. I noticed the shotgun that used to sit above the fireplace was gone. He said that when his dad died, his dad being the only registered firearms user, the cops came and took it and gave my buddy a tax receipt for a charitible donation. this would have made national headlines in the states. my buddy was like "yeah, makes sense".

This is why the second amendment needs updated. If you want to own a gun, then register. I love that idea. If you're not registered, you don't own a gun.

And for you "my right to bear arms shall not be infringed" crowd, it would be like getting your driver's license. When you turn 18, you take a 24 hour class and you're registered. See, it's that easy. Oh, so if your illiterate you can't own a gun you ask? Yes, you can, when you learn to read. Get over it.
    soooooo one must learn to read before owning or registering a firearm......well then it would make perfect sense to apply the same law or reasoning when registering to be come a citizen of the united states or when registering to vote or drive a car, welfare or any government assistance......but most of all becoming a citizen of the United States......isn't that the law now ? at least being able to speak English ?.......sure could of fooled me.

Godfather.

where is it law that you need to speak english to become a US citizen?
    not sure but lets look it up.

Godfather.

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

this is pretty good, it says you must take a test in English and US history, looks like law to me.

Godfather.

The Naturalization Test

To become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must pass the naturalization test. At your naturalization interview, you will be required to answer questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test unless you qualify for an exemption or waiver.

For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual English and Civics Testing Guidance.

Study Materials

USCIS offers a variety of study materials, including:
    •Study Materials for the Civics Test
    •Study Materials for the English Test

These and other citizenship resources for immigrants, educators, and organizations are available on the Citizenship Resource Center website.

Exceptions from English & Civics Requirements

For information on exceptions or modifications to the English and civics requirements for naturalization, visit our Exceptions & Accommodations page.

If You Don’t Pass

You will be given two opportunities to take the English and civics tests and to answer all questions relating to your naturalization application in English. If you fail any of the tests at your initial interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed (English or civics) between 60 and 90 days from the date of your initial interview. See 8 CFR 312.5(a) and 335.3(b).

• So why shouldn't you have to e able to read to own a gun?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

So why shouldn't you have to e able to read to own a gun?

I'm good with that. Just seems like common sense. Should have to be able to read to drive, own a gun, vote, become a citizen, etc...
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,869
    edited September 2016

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

this is pretty good, it says you must take a test in English and US history, looks like law to me.

Godfather.

Good thing you're not a lawyer then, lol. "Most" need to pass a test, but that doesn't mean they have to know or speak English (and apparently some don't even have to do the test). FYI, those English exams are ridiculous. People who don't speak English just memorize the answers, which are out there to find. And the people giving the test know it. If they wanted to give a harder, more comprehensive test they could, but they choose not to. People who barely speak English can fudge their way through, happens all the time. Anyway, passing that test does not in any way mean that people are required to speak, use, or write English if they don't want to. People have the right to go their entire lives without speaking English in America. Now, I don't think that is a very wise decision to make obviously, but for their sakes, not yours. I don't give a flying fuck about the people who don't like other people speaking some other language. I just figure it makes life somewhat more difficult for the new citizen if they don't know how to speak English.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2016
    jeffbr said:

I'm good with that. Just seems like common sense. Should have to be able to read to drive, own a gun, vote, become a citizen, etc...
    To vote or drive?? What if someone just had that shitty a life or a learning or mental disability so that they never learned? What if the education system failed them? They shouldn't be able to vote? And for driving, everything driving-related that has to be known by drivers is done with symbols, so there really isn't any reason for someone to know how to read to follow the rules of the road, technically.... Not sure how someone who can't read would get through the written tests though. I would assume there are audio versions, for them and for the blind I guess.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

To vote or drive?? What if someone just had that shitty a life or a learning or mental disability so that they never learned? What if the education system failed them? They shouldn't be able to vote? And for driving, everything driving-related that has to be known by drivers is done with symbols, so there really isn't any reason for someone to know how to read to follow the rules of the road, technically.... Not sure how someone who can't read would get through the written tests though. I would assume there are audio versions, for them and for the blind I guess.
    There are plenty of street signs and traffic signs around me that would require reading. Crazy and often confusing no parking signs, accident/construction warnings, etc... I think reading is a more important requirement for driving and voting than for gun ownership, but I'm happy to lump them all in. I'd prefer that people who are blind neither drive, nor own guns.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

There are plenty of street signs and traffic signs around me that would require reading. Crazy and often confusing no parking signs, accident/construction warnings, etc... I think reading is a more important requirement for driving and voting than for gun ownership, but I'm happy to lump them all in. I'd prefer that people who are blind neither drive, nor own guns.
    :rofl:

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

You can't take away their 2nd amendment right because they can't see. Shame on you.
    edited September 2016
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

:lol: You know, I was busy when I wrote that and forgot blind people can't drive. :lol: But still, I don't think that illiterate should be kept from voting or driving. That simply isn't fair. People who can't read can totally work around the traffic sign issues, and why would you even consider that they can't vote?? I don't get that one. Are you worried that they couldn't read the names and vote wrong? They are capable of memorizing what the name of theor candidate looks like...
    ridiculous arguments, if a person wants to migrate to America then speaking English should be their first priority, try working with a person or group of people that can't speak English........it sucks !
    but back to the original question, learning to read before gun ownership ? ...it kind of helps when your filling out the forms when buying a gun
    because as we all know a simple cash exchange when buying a gun just don't happen anymore Unless your buying off the black market.
    a guy I grew up with has a learning disability and couldn't read or write a word(still can't) but has a very successful flooring business and his wife dose all his paper work and tax's etc and he has an awesome gun collection he's legally collected, has a drivers lic.owns a nice home and basically has everything he needs or wants (he couldn't even spell his own name)

Godfather.
  • ridiculous arguments, if a person wants to migrate to America then speaking English should be their first priority, try working with a person or group of people that can't speak English........it sucks !
    but back to the original question, learning to read before gun ownership ? ...it kind of helps when your filling out the forms when buying a gun
    because as we all know a simple cash exchange when buying a gun just don't happen anymore Unless your buying off the black market.
    a guy I grew up with has a learning disability and couldn't read or write a word(still can't) but has a very successful flooring business and his wife dose all his paper work and tax's etc and he has an awesome gun collection he's legally collected, has a drivers lic.owns a nice home and basically has everything he needs or wants (he couldn't even spell his own name)

Godfather.

I don't think he should have a gun or a license.

ridiculous arguments, if a person wants to migrate to America then speaking English should be their first priority, try working with a person or group of people that can't speak English........it sucks !

Godfather.

why ? do you think not being able to read or write affects his judgment with a gun ?

Godfather.

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

why ? do you think not being able to read or write affects his judgment with a gun ?

Godfather.

You've already stated he has a mental disability, so that right there should disqualify him to own a gun. I'm not so sure I like people driving with those diabilities. One should be able to read and fill out his own forms to drive and own a gun.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659

Godfather.

Godfather.

You've already stated he has a mental disability, so that right there should disqualify him to own a gun. I'm not so sure I like people driving with those diabilities. One should be able to read and fill out his own forms to drive and own a gun.
    In defense of GF he clearly stated his friend has a "learning disability". This doesn't mean that someone has a "mental disability ". Two different things.
  • ridiculous arguments, if a person wants to migrate to America then speaking English should be their first priority, try working with a person or group of people that can't speak English........it sucks !

Godfather.

Godfather.

In defense of GF he clearly stated his friend has a "learning disability". This doesn't mean that someone has a "mental disability ". Two different things.
    I'm not arguing your point. But im not sure they're separated by that much.
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

Godfather.

well then to be a citizen is different ? and by the way he he's not suffering from a "mental disability"
    thanks Bently.

Godfather.

Post edited by Godfather. on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659

Godfather.

Godfather.

Depression, OCD, BDD, ODD, bi-polar, schyzophrenia, etc are examples of a "mental disability".
    Having dyslexia or some other "learning disability" is not the same as a 'mental disability".

Godfather.

Godfather.

Depression, OCD, BDD, ODD, bi-polar, schyzophrenia, etc are examples of a "mental disability".
    Having dyslexia or some other "learning disability" is not the same as a 'mental disability".
    I'm not arguing that.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,612

Godfather.

Godfather.

I'm not arguing that.
    but you quasi linked the two with the "not too far apart" statement.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I'm not arguing that.
    but you quasi linked the two with the "not too far apart" statement.
    http://www.learningdisabilities.org.uk/help-information/Learning-Disability-Statistics-/187699/
  • I'm not arguing they are the same. All I'm saying is that there is a link between the 2.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,612

I'm not arguing they are the same. All I'm saying is that there is a link between the 2.

ok. I see where you are coming from now.

well, then , the folks that would fall into those kinds of demographics can just purchase privately. you know, verbal contract stuff, no background checks. no reading involved. where theres a will theres a way , right?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Godfather.

What are ridiculous arguments? I didn't make any argument for not speaking English in America. I said that would make life harder for them. I was just telling you what happens. Anyway, the language conversation was about whether or not people are legally required to speak English in the US, which was your premise. The answer is no. 100% no.
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

Godfather.

Absolutely. MUCH different. If you don't think there is much difference between the two, sorry, you're just plain old wrong. And you need to educate yourself about learning disabilities.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Absolutely. MUCH different. If you don't think there is much difference between the two, sorry, you're just plain old wrong. And you need to educate yourself about learning disabilities.
    Or you can read the link I posted. I didn't say they were the same. I said there is a link between thrm.
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

What are ridiculous arguments? I didn't make any argument for not speaking English in America. I said that would make life harder for them. I was just telling you what happens. Anyway, the language conversation was about whether or not people are legally required to speak English in the US, which was your premise. The answer is no. 100% no.
    sorry PJ I was not referring to you....but speaking English is part of the test ...or at least reading and writing it.

Godfather.

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Or you can read the link I posted. I didn't say they were the same. I said there is a link between thrm.
    so there is a missing link ! LOL !

Godfather.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Or you can read the link I posted. I didn't say they were the same. I said there was a link between them.
    Statistics from the link:

•People with learning disabilities demonstrate the complete spectrum of mental health problems, with higher prevalence than found in those without learning disabilities (Source: Mental Health Nursing of Adults with Learning Disabilities

•The prevalence of dementia is much higher amongst older adults with learning disabilities compared to the general population (21.6% vs 5.7% aged 65+) (Source: Cooper, 1997a)

•People with Down's syndrome are at particularly high risk of developing dementia, with an age of onset 30-40 years younger than the general population (Source: Holland et al., 1998).

•Prevalence rates for schizophrenia in people with learning disabilities are approximately three times greater than for the general population (3% vs 1%) (Source: Doody et al., 1998)

•Reported prevalence rates for anxiety and depression amongst people with learning disabilities vary widely, but are generally reported to be at least as prevalent as the general population (Source: Stavrakaki, 1999), and higher amongst people with Down's syndrome (Source: Collacott et al., 1998)

•Challenging behaviours (aggression, destruction, self-injury and others) are shown by 10%-15% of people with learning disabilities, with age-specific prevalence peaking between ages 20 and 49 (Source: Emerson et al.,2001) (Sources taken from Key Highlights of Research Evidence on the Health of People with Learning [Intellectual] Disabilities

This discussion has been closed.