America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

a guy in Manitoba was shot in the eye the other day. how? some douche they were sitting around the campfire with starting throwing bullets into the fire. one exploded and fired at another guy, hitting him in the fucking eye.

I m almost positive bullets don't fire when thrown into a campfire. Do you have a link to the story?
    it didn't "fire" per say, it exploded.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1muqdjt_NAhUk3IMKHcBrCFQQFggbMAA&url=http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/02/148209/&usg=AFQjCNFTLeSskk914KNOb7Fl_s0lnMiCfA&sig2=fS786Jq1W89rWE0mFyKE3Q
    Pretty idiotic...that being said, there are plenty of household items that would explode if thrown into a fire and be much more deadly (hair spray can, batteries, spray paint). These dumbasses deserve a Darwin Award.
    agree. I thought it was interesting, but honestly, not really pertaining to the "gun violence", just how stupid people can be with potentially lethal items.
    It's always interesting reading about the fireworks mishaps around the 4th of July too. There is a reason people are drawn to shows like Jack Ass...there are plenty out there that are true jack-asses in the real world. People hurt themselves in the dumbest ways. Hell, a while back someone drank too much water and killed themselves. I've seen stories about people eating gorilla glue, putting fireworks in their butthole, letting their untrained 7 year old fire a fully automatic Uzi...I guess damn near anything can be lethal when you are a moron. You can put a safety net around the entire world and someone will find a way to accidentally fall to their death.
    I read about that contest a radio station held, called "hold your wee for a Wii". a woman was trying to win a Wii for her kids by drinking a tonne of water and not going to the bathroom. the last holdout was the winner. a nurse called in and told the dj's that it was potentially fatal, and they joked "she signed the waiver!". and she ended up dying by internal drowning or whatever it was called. the dj's were fired, but they should have been prosecuted, waiver or not.
    Yeah, it would be similar to saying that it is okay for participants to play Russian Roulette (trying to keep gun violence in the conversation as much as possible, lol) because they "signed a waiver". Their situation seems more akin to negligent homicide than an accident.
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of violent people...check out this dumbass!
    http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7808
    An adjunct professor at Southern State Community College (SSCC) in Ohio is under investigation for threatening to shoot up the NRA.

“Look, there’s only one solution. A bunch of us anti-gun types are going to have to arm ourselves, storm the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, VA, and make sure there are no survivors,” James Pearce wrote in a Facebook post on June 13. “This action might also require coordinated hits at remote sites, like Washington lobbyists. Then and only then will we see some legislative action on assault weapons. Have a nice day.”
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    edited July 2016
    PJPOWER said:

An adjunct professor at Southern State Community College (SSCC) in Ohio is under investigation for threatening to shoot up the NRA.

“Look, there’s only one solution. A bunch of us anti-gun types are going to have to arm ourselves, storm the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, VA, and make sure there are no survivors,” James Pearce wrote in a Facebook post on June 13. “This action might also require coordinated hits at remote sites, like Washington lobbyists. Then and only then will we see some legislative action on assault weapons. Have a nice day.”

Wtf?! So he s gonna use "assault weapons" in such a horrendous way that he hopes they then become illegal. Or is the plan to kill everyone in the nra so then there is no opposition? I hope this guy has a good lawyer.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Wtf?! So he s gonna use "assault weapons" in such a horrendous way that he hopes they then become illegal. Or is the plan to kill everyone in the nra so then there is no opposition? I hope this guy has a good lawyer.
    Crazy! I bet you can pretty much guarantee he no longer has a good job...
    edited July 2016
    oops, wrong thread
  • PJPOWER said:
    Or said, "F**k it. Madness rules. Best be prepared for the madness."

That'd be the other way to look at it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

PJPOWER said:

Yep, that's pretty much the way I look at it, lol
  • PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No way lol!

I saw the little yellow '1' by the thread indicating a new post... saw it was you... and thought to myself, "Ah f**k. I shoulda just shut up."

Cheers.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No way lol!

I saw the little yellow '1' by the thread indicating a new post... saw it was you... and thought to myself, "Ah f**k. I shoulda just shut up."

Cheers.
    Hahaha, I desperately need to turn off my notifications!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,742
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Wow, I'm know I'm 1000 times more educated on the subject now.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    mickeyrat said:
    Probably not a good choice to put the picture of 50 cent up as sarcasm, because he was a drug dealer with guns before he became a "good guy", right???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,742
    PP193448 said:

mickeyrat said:
    Probably not a good choice to put the picture of 50 cent up as sarcasm, because he was a drug dealer with guns before he became a "good guy", right???
    no 50 cent is classified as a bad guy with a gun.

read it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited July 2016
    mickeyrat said:

PP193448 said:

mickeyrat said:
    no 50 cent is classified as a bad guy with a gun.

read it.
    Yeah I read it. It's sarcastically saying he's stereotypically considered a bad guy with a gun because of rap, hip, hop, color of his skin, etc. It's just a bad example to put there.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited July 2016
    THE HORRIFIC, PREDICTABLE RESULT OF A WIDELY ARMED CITIZENRY

Weapons empower extremes. Allowing members of any fringe of any movement to get their hands on military weapons guarantees that any normal dispute—political or, for that matter, domestic—can quickly lead to a massacre. Our guns have outraced our restrictions, but not our imaginations. Sometime in the not-too-distant past, annihilation replaced street theatre and demonstrations as the central possibility of the enraged American imagination. Guns allow the fringe to occupy the center.

Once again, it needs stating because it can’t be stated too often: despite the desperate efforts of the National Rifle Association to prevent research on gun violence, the research has gone on, and shows conclusively what common sense already suggests. Guns are not merely the instrument; guns are the issue. The more guns there are, the more gun violence happens.

Last night’s tragedy was also the grotesque reductio ad absurdum of the claim that it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. There were nothing but good guys and they had nothing but guns, and five died anyway, as helpless as the rest of us.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-horrific-predictable-result-of-a-widely-armed-citizenry?intcid=mod-most-popular
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    You are aware that it is possible to own a gun but also want better regulations for buying one, no?
    Oh, I agree. I misconstrued your previous statements to mean gun owners are idiots... I realize now that was not what you were saying.
    The paranoia gun culture and marketing discussed in that segement is what I was largely referring to
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying. From personal experience, my "paranoia" comes from working in Social Work for 12 years. I got to see the best and the worst of society, and trust me, if people knew how many of the "worst" are walking by them every day, they would be a lot more vigilant and aware of their surroundings...especially if you happen to be a woman or elderly. There are so many facets of shitty people out there preying on the weak that it would make your head spin. I try to encourage everyone to take a class that teaches you how to recognize body language, exits, etc. The societal drift (more people) is definitely producing more shit that you have to watch out for. I'm not saying that people should be paranoid and never leave their houses or live in bunkers or anything but definitely aware that there is a growing threat even on your regular trips to get gas. I cringe every time I see people walking around in public staring at their phones. It's not just gun manufacturers pushing for people to carry, but most law enforcement officers will encourage it as well because they also have an awareness that the general public does not have. Many CCW instructors are actually retired law enforcement officers or people that come from public service backgrounds...trust me, there is a reason why.
    Doesn't sound like this law enforcement guy is a huge fan of the Texas gun laws

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/11/485559307/listen-on-guns-dallas-police-chief-tells-legislators-do-your-job
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    You are aware that it is possible to own a gun but also want better regulations for buying one, no?
    Oh, I agree. I misconstrued your previous statements to mean gun owners are idiots... I realize now that was not what you were saying.
    The paranoia gun culture and marketing discussed in that segement is what I was largely referring to
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying. From personal experience, my "paranoia" comes from working in Social Work for 12 years. I got to see the best and the worst of society, and trust me, if people knew how many of the "worst" are walking by them every day, they would be a lot more vigilant and aware of their surroundings...especially if you happen to be a woman or elderly. There are so many facets of shitty people out there preying on the weak that it would make your head spin. I try to encourage everyone to take a class that teaches you how to recognize body language, exits, etc. The societal drift (more people) is definitely producing more shit that you have to watch out for. I'm not saying that people should be paranoid and never leave their houses or live in bunkers or anything but definitely aware that there is a growing threat even on your regular trips to get gas. I cringe every time I see people walking around in public staring at their phones. It's not just gun manufacturers pushing for people to carry, but most law enforcement officers will encourage it as well because they also have an awareness that the general public does not have. Many CCW instructors are actually retired law enforcement officers or people that come from public service backgrounds...trust me, there is a reason why.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/11/485559307/listen-on-guns-dallas-police-chief-tells-legislators-do-your-job
    Nope....I listened to him speak

This is the kind of incident that makes people realize that things are fucked up. The cops can't tell who the "good guys with a gun" are. The bad guys can blend in way too easily with the good guys with open carry laws.

I can't believe we are this stupid.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Nope....I listened to him speak

This is the kind of incident that makes people realize that things are fucked up. The cops can't tell who the "good guys with a gun" are. The bad guys can blend in way too easily with the good guys with open carry laws.

I can't believe we are this stupid.
    They say that, but in reality, it just helps them realize who the eccentric individuals are in the community as well. It becomes part of their "Profile". On the other side, it protects me if I'm going to the practice range and some crazy person with an agenda sees me carrying my rifle to the pickup and tries to make a big deal out of it.
    I have trouble with these people too though, open carry a gun to a mass protest and expect the odds of yourself getting arrested or shot to increase. This is where I would suggest CCW or self defense classes as well. You learn to avoid escalating dangerous situations with unreasonable people in tense situations.
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    as the gun laws get tighter in nyc, has anyone noticed the HUGE rise in random face slashing and razor blade attacks? even the crazies appreciate knowing their victims are without arms.
    #berniegoetz

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    rssesq said:

as the gun laws get tighter in nyc, has anyone noticed the HUGE rise in random face slashing and razor blade attacks? even the crazies appreciate knowing their victims are without arms.
    #berniegoetz

source?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    I bet this means all inmates will be handcuffed behind the back from here on out.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    rssesq said:

#berniegoetz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenpeng_Village_Primary_School_stabbing
  • The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391

I bet this means all inmates will be handcuffed behind the back from here on out.
    I figured that was standard operating procedure.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    As did I..and to remain silent and the rest of it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mcgruff10 said:

how did he get loose then? I know nothing about standard operating procedure. I would imagine it depends on the criminal/crimes committed.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504

mcgruff10 said:

how did he get loose then? I know nothing about standard operating procedure. I would imagine it depends on the criminal/crimes committed.
    I don't know the facts of this case but I worked in a prison years ago and there are inmates that can slip cuffs off no matter how tight you put them on.
This discussion has been closed.