America's Gun Violence

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    edited July 2016

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/father-accidentally-kills-son-at-sarasota-gun-range/2284099

unbefuckinglievable

It unofficially belonged to Clayton Brumby's 12-year-old daughter, but he was up next to fire the .22 semi-automatic Ruger SR22 at the shooting range at High Noon Guns in Sarasota on Sunday.

His 14-year-old son, Stephen, patiently sat in the back of the lane next to his sister, awaiting his turn. Stephen didn't like smaller guns anyway. The teenager preferred bigger ones, like his dad's 9mm Glock.

When Clayton Brumby fired his last shot, he said a smoking hot casing flew out of the pistol and went down the back of his shirt. Both arms flailed up in the air, he said, his finger still on the trigger. The gun fired.

"Dad, Stephen's been shot," the father heard his 24-year-old son shriek.

The father said the bullet he fired ricocheted off the ceiling and struck the 14-year-old's jugular vein. The teen was rushed to Sarasota Memorial Hospital, where deputies said he was later pronounced dead.

"The gun didn't kill my boy," the 64-year-old father of seven said Monday. "I did."
    I can't imagine the pain. and it kinda blows me away that gun ranges don't have a protective shield between the person shooting and spectators/next up. what if the person simply accidentally drops the gun and it fires and kills someone? it's shit like this that can easily happen, "responsible" gun owner or not.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Fuck off if you think I am going to attend a class so other people can own guns...

Incredible, eh?

If it wasn't Obama's fault... now it's the fault of the people who don't own guns.

It's officially become comical.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/father-accidentally-kills-son-at-sarasota-gun-range/2284099

unbefuckinglievable

It unofficially belonged to Clayton Brumby's 12-year-old daughter, but he was up next to fire the .22 semi-automatic Ruger SR22 at the shooting range at High Noon Guns in Sarasota on Sunday.

His 14-year-old son, Stephen, patiently sat in the back of the lane next to his sister, awaiting his turn. Stephen didn't like smaller guns anyway. The teenager preferred bigger ones, like his dad's 9mm Glock.

When Clayton Brumby fired his last shot, he said a smoking hot casing flew out of the pistol and went down the back of his shirt. Both arms flailed up in the air, he said, his finger still on the trigger. The gun fired.

The father said the bullet he fired ricocheted off the ceiling and struck the 14-year-old's jugular vein. The teen was rushed to Sarasota Memorial Hospital, where deputies said he was later pronounced dead.

"The gun didn't kill my boy," the 64-year-old father of seven said Monday. "I did."
    I can't imagine the pain.

I can't imagine ever bringing a child to a shooting range, thankfully we don't even have such things here to the best of my knowledge. Jesus what's wrong with playing football or some other sport (no I don't count that kind of shooting as a sport)? Kids having a desire to go out and shoot guns just makes me squirm
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

Fuck off if you think I am going to attend a class so other people can own guns...

Incredible, eh?

If it wasn't Obama's fault... now it's the fault of the people who don't own guns.

I don't know that placing "fault" is productive. I would not blame someone for dying in a tornado for not being prepared, but I would sure give props to someone that survived because they were, especially if their preparations saved other lives. And yes, I just compared terrorists to tornados...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    edited July 2016

unbefuckinglievable

I can't imagine ever bringing a child to a shooting range, thankfully we don't even have such things here to the best of my knowledge. Jesus what's wrong with playing football or some other sport (no I don't count that kind of shooting as a sport)? Kids having a desire to go out and shoot guns just makes me squirm
    Agreed...I'm a gun owner and NONE of my kids (ages 22,21,16,14) have EVER seen my gun.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJPOWER said:

Fuck off if you think I am going to attend a class so other people can own guns...

Incredible, eh?

I don't know that placing "fault" is productive. I would not blame someone for dying in a tornado for not being prepared, but I would sure give props to someone that survived because they were, especially if their preparations saved other lives. And yes, I just compared terrorists to tornados...
    So if we had the means or design to curb the potential of tornados... would people accept them? Would people accept measures to limit damages a tornado can do even though storm watchers couldn't watch them anymore and even though lives lost to tornados pale in comparison to cancer?
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    The Rothschild's, Bloomberg, Crooked Hillary and MSNBC want to disarm America with a passion.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682

unbefuckinglievable

Agreed...I'm a gun owner and NONE of my kids (ages 22,21,16,14) have EVER seen my gun.
    If all gun owners followed your example then I imagine we wouldn't see so many kids dying
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

So if we had the means or design to curb the potential of tornados... would people accept them? Would people accept measures to limit damages a tornado can do even though storm watchers couldn't watch them anymore and even though lives lost to tornados pale in comparison to cancer?
    On the reverse argument, if there was no way to fully predict or stop a tornado or act of violence (reality), would we refuse to train on how to minimize the death toll were one to strike? We do have the means to prevent deaths from tornados as well as violence.
    My city (in tornado ally) had a program where they would pay for up to half of the cost of a tornado shelter and we installed one because of that financial incentive. Now our odds of survival during a tornado are increased exponentially. We were trained in school what to do in the event of a tornado or fire as well...
    Edit: Didn't I concede to stop fighting with you on this topic? Lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited July 2016

unbefuckinglievable

Why do you own a gun? Just curious... You seems to be one of the main proponents of people not owning them around here...
  • PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

On the reverse argument, if there was no way to fully predict or stop a tornado or act of violence (reality), would we refuse to train on how to minimize the death toll were one to strike? We do have the means to prevent deaths from tornados as well as violence.
    My city (in tornado ally) had a program where they would pay for up to half of the cost of a tornado shelter and we installed one because of that financial incentive. Now our odds of survival during a tornado are increased exponentially. We were trained in school what to do in the event of a tornado or fire as well...
    Edit: Didn't I concede to stop fighting with you on this topic? Lol
    Just when you thought you were out...
    PJPOWER said:

unbefuckinglievable

Why do you own a gun? Just curious... You seems to be one of the main proponents of people not owning them around here...
    Personal protection....but I don't see any need in showing anyone my gun until I need it.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

unbefuckinglievable

If all gun owners followed your example then I imagine we wouldn't see so many kids dying
    Just in the last few years within a radius of 2-3 miles of my house there has been two deaths of a child (1. two brothers messing with a shotgun and one brother shoots the other and kills him, 2. dipshit trying to impress a girl gets gun out and shoots her point blank either accidentally or while under influence of drugs...to be determined) and a horrible accident where some teens were screwing around with a gun and a young man was shot in the face.

edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

unbefuckinglievable

Personal protection....but I don't see any need in showing anyone my gun until I need it.
    K, so I guess you believe that it makes you safer. I guess it just seems hypocritical for people who own guns for personal protection or safety to argue that they do not make people more safe... Do you practice or train with it? If not, then that definitely makes you less safe with it.
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unbefuckinglievable

K, so I guess you believe that it makes you safer. I guess it just seems hypocritical for people who own guns for personal protection or safety to argue that they do not make people more safe... Do you practice or train with it? If not, then that definitely makes you less safe with it.
    I own a handgun. I've never argued that guns don't make people more safe...I've argued that assault weapons should be banned.

I also believe that guns should be registered and licenses obtained to ensure proper training and safety. You have to have a driver's license to drive and a fishing license to fish....no license to own a gun? Ridiculous.

a guy in Manitoba was shot in the eye the other day. how? some douche they were sitting around the campfire with starting throwing bullets into the fire. one exploded and fired at another guy, hitting him in the fucking eye.

www.headstonesband.com

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,173

a guy in Manitoba was shot in the eye the other day. how? some douche they were sitting around the campfire with starting throwing bullets into the fire. one exploded and fired at another guy, hitting him in the fucking eye.

Damn it's incredible the stupidity of people and that dude can go and buy any weapon he so desires the very next day !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391

I m almost positive bullets don't fire when thrown into a campfire. Do you have a link to the story?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

mcgruff10 said:

I m almost positive bullets don't fire when thrown into a campfire. Do you have a link to the story?
    It is certainly possible. I've been into several homes that were on fire and heard bullets firing that were in direct flames. I have no idea what the odds are, but from experience, it can't be that low.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

mcgruff10 said:

It is certainly possible. I've been into several homes that were on fire and heard bullets firing that were in direct flames. I have no idea what the odds are, but from experience, it can't be that low.
    They pop but they don't shoot out like being fired from a gun.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

mcgruff10 said:

Lol, when you're in that house and start hearing gun shots, you don't give a rats ass if they're just "popping." Isn't shrapnel still jetted out when a bullet pops?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Incredible, eh?

mcgruff10 said:

Lol, when you're in that house and start hearing gun shots, you don't give a rats ass if they're just "popping." Isn't shrapnel still jetted out when a bullet pops?
    I know the actual bullet doesn't fire but the casing probably does shrapnel out. That s some scary shit either way!
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    mcgruff10 said:

The casing can/will explode, sending a few fragments of brass and small bits of the fire flying, but the lead isn't going anywhere. Wouldn't want to be hit with a hot piece of sharp brass, I'm sure that would hurt and leave a mark.

mcgruff10 said:

it didn't "fire" per say, it exploded.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1muqdjt_NAhUk3IMKHcBrCFQQFggbMAA&url=http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/02/148209/&usg=AFQjCNFTLeSskk914KNOb7Fl_s0lnMiCfA&sig2=fS786Jq1W89rWE0mFyKE3Q

www.headstonesband.com

mcgruff10 said:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1muqdjt_NAhUk3IMKHcBrCFQQFggbMAA&url=http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/02/148209/&usg=AFQjCNFTLeSskk914KNOb7Fl_s0lnMiCfA&sig2=fS786Jq1W89rWE0mFyKE3Q
    Pretty idiotic...that being said, there are plenty of household items that would explode if thrown into a fire and be much more deadly (hair spray can, batteries, spray paint). These dumbasses deserve a Darwin Award.
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Pretty idiotic...that being said, there are plenty of household items that would explode if thrown into a fire and be much more deadly (hair spray can, batteries, spray paint). These dumbasses deserve a Darwin Award.
    agree. I thought it was interesting, but honestly, not really pertaining to the "gun violence", just how stupid people can be with potentially lethal items.

www.headstonesband.com

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

agree. I thought it was interesting, but honestly, not really pertaining to the "gun violence", just how stupid people can be with potentially lethal items.
    It's always interesting reading about the fireworks mishaps around the 4th of July too. There is a reason people are drawn to shows like Jack Ass...there are plenty out there that are true jack-asses in the real world. People hurt themselves in the dumbest ways. Hell, a while back someone drank too much water and killed themselves. I've seen stories about people eating gorilla glue, putting fireworks in their butthole, letting their untrained 7 year old fire a fully automatic Uzi...I guess damn near anything can be lethal when you are a moron. You can put a safety net around the entire world and someone will find a way to accidentally fall to their death.
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

It's always interesting reading about the fireworks mishaps around the 4th of July too. There is a reason people are drawn to shows like Jack Ass...there are plenty out there that are true jack-asses in the real world. People hurt themselves in the dumbest ways. Hell, a while back someone drank too much water and killed themselves. I've seen stories about people eating gorilla glue, putting fireworks in their butthole, letting their untrained 7 year old fire a fully automatic Uzi...I guess damn near anything can be lethal when you are a moron. You can put a safety net around the entire world and someone will find a way to accidentally fall to their death.
    I read about that contest a radio station held, called "hold your wee for a Wii". a woman was trying to win a Wii for her kids by drinking a tonne of water and not going to the bathroom. the last holdout was the winner. a nurse called in and told the dj's that it was potentially fatal, and they joked "she signed the waiver!". and she ended up dying by internal drowning or whatever it was called. the dj's were fired, but they should have been prosecuted, waiver or not.

www.headstonesband.com

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

"Hey watch this"....famous last words of many idiots

This discussion has been closed.