Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited June 2016

The ISIS thing must be a late April fools joke then? he was christian then right?? and the FBI was watching him for shits and giggles? now this is making sense.

His father is a Taliban supporter, which I think is why this guy was on the watch list and investigated, and then he was taken off of it because there was no evidence ever found against him suggesting that he was involved in terrorist activity (and there still isn't, if we're talking ties to a terrorist group or any kind of organizing on his part. This guy seems to have just been a wacked out lone wolf with a sexual identity crisis and a fucked up dad).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The ISIS thing must be a late April fools joke then? he was christian then right?? and the FBI was watching him for shits and giggles? now this is making sense.

His father is a Taliban supporter, which I think is why this guy was on the watch list and investigated, and then he was taken off of it because there was no evidence ever found against him suggesting that he was involved in terrorist activity (and there still isn't, if we're talking ties to a terrorist group or any kind of organizing on his part. This guy seems to have just been a wacked out lone wolf with a sexual identity crisis and a fucked up dad).
    Seems to make perfect sense... what you say.

His father was a Taliban supporter, but likely never shared his extremist views with his son... so it's highly improbable the idiot inherited the same, or similar views.

He was a person of interest and on the watch list.

He pledged his allegiance to ISIS , but not with enough notice for everyone to take him seriously - or for anyone to take him down prior to his event.

Yah. This is just a case of a crazy guy. It has nothing at all to do with extreme religious views.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040

PJ_Soul said:

His father was a Taliban supporter, but likely never shared his extremist views with his son... so it's highly improbable the idiot inherited the same, or similar views.

He pledged his allegiance to ISIS , but not with enough notice for everyone to take him seriously - or for anyone to take him down prior to his event.

Yah. This is just a case of a crazy guy. It has nothing at all to do with extreme religious views.
    I sense sarcasm
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

One of my dipshit neighbors was shooting his new "Obama gun" today. Fucking annoying.

He's a blowhard whom likes his own voice?
    Nice try, but that would more appropriately describe "Trump gun".

An "Obama gun" is a new assault rifle that a paranoid idiot goes and buys after a mass shooting because he thinks it's his last chance...for the 5th time in 7 years.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Hawaii passed a law that enters all gun owners in an FBI database. Authorities are alerted when a Hawaiian gun owners is arrested anywhere in the US.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/hawaii-gun-owner-database/index.html
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    edited June 2016
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

One of my dipshit neighbors was shooting his new "Obama gun" today. Fucking annoying.

An "Obama gun" is a new assault rifle that a paranoid idiot goes and buys after a mass shooting because he thinks it's his last chance...for the 5th time in 7 years.
    Obama has been the best gun salesman in the past 8 years
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    an 18 year old was killed not far from where I live yesterday. His parents Facebook page read.... "We LOVE GUNS, GOD AND AMERICA...." wonder if they will change that now???
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

Hawaii passed a law that enters all gun owners in an FBI database. Authorities are alerted when a Hawaiian gun owners is arrested anywhere in the US.

This will be challenged. Section 103(i) in the Brady Law

(i) PROHIBITION RELATING TO ESTABLISHMENT OF REGISTRATION SYSTEMS WITH RESPECT TO FIREARMS- No department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States may--

(1) require that any record or portion thereof generated by the system established under this section be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof; or
    (2) use the system established under this section to establish any system for the registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm transactions or dispositions, except with respect to persons, prohibited by section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18, United States Code or State law, from receiving a firearm.

Just saying.....Just saying
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

This will be challenged. Section 103(i) in the Brady Law

(i) PROHIBITION RELATING TO ESTABLISHMENT OF REGISTRATION SYSTEMS WITH RESPECT TO FIREARMS- No department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States may--

(1) require that any record or portion thereof generated by the system established under this section be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof; or
    (2) use the system established under this section to establish any system for the registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm transactions or dispositions, except with respect to persons, prohibited by section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18, United States Code or State law, from receiving a firearm.

Just saying.....Just saying
    I didn't read that the weapons are being registered. Just the the owner will be entered into a database and if he/she is arrested, the authorities will be alerted.

Seems like a good start. If someone legally purchases a gun, then is convicted of a felony, the cops know that he/she should not be allowed to own a hundred anymore.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Obama has been the best gun salesman in the past 8 years
    Low IQ has been the best gun salesman in the past 8 years lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

PJ_Soul said:

I never said I didn't think the dad didn't pass his feelings to his son. I'd say he obviously did (which must have been very confusing and upsetting for a gay Muslim). I am simply talking about why the shooter was on the watch list (and then removed).
    You seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying btw (or ignoring some of what I've said) if you think I am saying he didn't have any extremist views.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I never said I didn't think the dad didn't pass his feelings to his son. I'd say he obviously did (which must have been very confusing and upsetting for a gay Muslim). I am simply talking about why the shooter was on the watch list (and then removed).
    You seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying btw (or ignoring some of what I've said) if you think I am saying he didn't have any extremist views.
    Well forgive me for doing so. Your posts seemed to attribute motive to personal crisis with extremist ideology 'slightly' factored in.

I'm of the opinion it was a nice blend of all... and it sounds as if you are too with this response.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    He was an evil, confused terrorist that killed a bunch of unarmed people.

You can discuss and dissect motive all day long but ultimately, he was a fucking asshole.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016
    dudeman said:

You can discuss and dissect motive all day long but ultimately, he was a fucking asshole.

Not an Islamic Terrorist..just a mental case.... he pledged allegiance not only to ISIS, but Hummas and Al Queda... that's like pledging allegiance to the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox...makes zero sense.

He didn't get more religious
    He didn't change his clothing/look
    He was a guy that had self loathing because of his father and religion from being gay.. period..
    Giving ISIS credit for this is ridiculous.

He was mentally ill...religion told him he was bad... add you can buy an AR15 in 7 whole minutes in Florida. Recipe for another Mass Shooting
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:

dudeman said:

Not an Islamic Terrorist..just a mental case.... he pledged allegiance not only to ISIS, but Hummas and Al Queda... that's like pledging allegiance to the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox...makes zero sense.

He was a guy that had self loathing because of his father and religion from being gay.. period..

He was mentally ill...religion told him he was bad... add you can buy an AR15 in 7 whole minutes in Florida. Recipe for another Mass Shooting
    Mentally ill? I haven't heard this.

And the first part of your submission seems to scoff at the notion of religion playing any part in motive, but the last part speaks to religion as a causal factor.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    Didn't he specifically say to 911 that his actions were retaliation for the US bombing his country?

Regardless of the group or groups he pledged allegiance to, he acted on behalf of politics.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    myoung321 said:

dudeman said:

I get really irked at the trend to blame any violence, particularly mass violence, on mental illness. Most of the time it's due to more mundane, pedestrian motives like anger, resentment, jealousy, and shame. Don't bring even more difficulties to those struggling with actual mental illness.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    You can't pledge allegiance to ISIS, commit mass murder, then have the allegiance questioned as authentic or not. I do not know all the details but the influence of a terrorist organization should not be downplayed.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    So I do not know how I overlooked this report based off of a CDC study done after Obama's executive order in 2013. Number 7 on the list of findings is hard to ignore...
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/06/handguns_suicides_mass_shootings_deaths_and_self_defense_findings_from_a.html
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    PJPOWER said:

So I do not know how I overlooked this report based off of a CDC study done after Obama's executive order in 2013. Number 7 on the list of findings is hard to ignore...
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/06/handguns_suicides_mass_shootings_deaths_and_self_defense_findings_from_a.html

That s a solid article right there.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847

PJ_Soul said:

The crazy thing is the father came to the US when we were allies with the Taliban. He was our brother in arms.
    PJPOWER said:

All of these reports about Defensive Gun Use seem to vary and I think common sense needs to prevail.
    http://www.armedwithreason.com/debunking-the-defensive-gun-use-myth/
    These sorts of biases, which are inherent in reporting self-defense incidents, can lead to nonsensical results. In several crime categories, for example, gun owners would have to protect themselves more than 100 percent of the time for Kleck and Getz’s estimates to make sense. For example, guns were allegedly used in self-defense in 845,000 burglaries, according to Kleck and Getz. However, from reliable victimization surveys, we know that there were fewer than 1.3 million burglaries where someone was in the home at the time of the crime, and only 33 percent of these had occupants who weren’t sleeping. From surveys on firearm ownership, we also know that 42 percent of U.S. households owned firearms at the time of the survey. Even if burglars only rob houses of gun owners, and those gun owners use their weapons in self-defense every single time they are awake, the 845,000 statistic cited in Kleck and Gertz’s paper is simply mathematically impossible.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Good god, listening to this made me so angry. People are fucking idiots.

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/23/483211713/handguns-in-america-and-the-rise-of-the-concealed-carry-lifestyle

'Merica! Happy 4th, all...
  • Options
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    You are aware that it is possible to own a gun but also want better regulations for buying one, no?
  • Options

PJPOWER said:
    You are aware that it is possible to own a gun but also want better regulations for buying one, no?
    Oh, I agree. I misconstrued your previous statements to mean gun owners are idiots... I realize now that was not what you were saying.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    Oh, I agree. I misconstrued your previous statements to mean gun owners are idiots... I realize now that was not what you were saying.
    The paranoia gun culture and marketing discussed in that segement is what I was largely referring to
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    The paranoia gun culture and marketing discussed in that segement is what I was largely referring to
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying. From personal experience, my "paranoia" comes from working in Social Work for 12 years. I got to see the best and the worst of society, and trust me, if people knew how many of the "worst" are walking by them every day, they would be a lot more vigilant and aware of their surroundings...especially if you happen to be a woman or elderly. There are so many facets of shitty people out there preying on the weak that it would make your head spin. I try to encourage everyone to take a class that teaches you how to recognize body language, exits, etc. The societal drift (more people) is definitely producing more shit that you have to watch out for. I'm not saying that people should be paranoid and never leave their houses or live in bunkers or anything but definitely aware that there is a growing threat even on your regular trips to get gas. I cringe every time I see people walking around in public staring at their phones. It's not just gun manufacturers pushing for people to carry, but most law enforcement officers will encourage it as well because they also have an awareness that the general public does not have. Many CCW instructors are actually retired law enforcement officers or people that come from public service backgrounds...trust me, there is a reason why.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying. From personal experience, my "paranoia" comes from working in Social Work for 12 years. I got to see the best and the worst of society, and trust me, if people knew how many of the "worst" are walking by them every day, they would be a lot more vigilant and aware of their surroundings...especially if you happen to be a woman or elderly. There are so many facets of shitty people out there preying on the weak that it would make your head spin. I try to encourage everyone to take a class that teaches you how to recognize body language, exits, etc. The societal drift (more people) is definitely producing more shit that you have to watch out for. I'm not saying that people should be paranoid and never leave their houses or live in bunkers or anything but definitely aware that there is a growing threat even on your regular trips to get gas. I cringe every time I see people walking around in public staring at their phones. It's not just gun manufacturers pushing for people to carry, but most law enforcement officers will encourage it as well because they also have an awareness that the general public does not have. Many CCW instructors are actually retired law enforcement officers or people that come from public service backgrounds...trust me, there is a reason why.
    The world is a scary place, no doubt, and some professions like yours see the scary side a lot more than others. The segment I posted touches on a lot of the things you mention, actually.

It discusses how you are more like to be a homicide victim if you own a gun.

It discuss the culture and change in marketing of guns that has now gone to full blown paranoia from a marketing perspective. This is the gun companies telling people they should be scared and need to own a gun.

It discusses how law enforcement has historically not wanted concealed carry as they wanted to know who had guns and who didn't.

It is a good conversation.
This discussion has been closed.