Options

Ten Club Seniority?

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited May 2014

People who won the lottery today love the system thus who lost don't. My issue is the fact that I won Charlottesville last Oct and I think Ten Club f*ed up seating. I was on the side of the stage, last row in the 100's. Member # 162xxx. If I'm going to actually win the lottery and drive 7 hours I'd like to think I'd be put in the right spot.

Where did you expect to be? I'm 128xxx and I was 15-25 rows up at both Brooklyn, Philly and the Seattle show. The first section on both sides is usually a mix of the lowest 10C members and band guests/VIPs. In all 5 shows I attended I was surrounded by people wearing guest passes.

And your first sentence is not completely true. Even people who did ok in the lottery hate seeing long time members getting shutout. Yes, every fan deserves a chance, but seniority was once a pillar of 10C ticketing. Reducing its value opens the door to brokers and multiple account holders.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    It is simply incredible that people complain about their seats that they were generously given.

10c strives to appease

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

It is simply incredible that people complain about their seats that they were generously given.

10c strives to appease

All seats are purchased. Yes, great that 10c provides these tickets and the best in the house. But we do pay dues and purchase the tickets. They were not given to us.

You do realize that the band members are all multi-millionaires right? People act like they did us a favor. They produce great music but we do pay them to do it.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Losing in the lottery and being shut out for tics sucks for everyone, not just senior members, but everything in life isn't guaranteed either. (Unless you're a real prince or princess or extremely wealthy).
    I would take sitting in the lower section to the side closest to the stage with friends and famiily of the band and A list guests over GA any day. You can show up a few minutes before the first song, come and go as you please, and not have anyone bump into you all night long. No one to have to fight to see over or around. I joined in 2005 and best I had with reserved was about 25 rows back on the floor in Columbus 2010. I would never have the opportunity to be up close unless there was some kind of lottery.
    But yeah, I am sure that the band prob really does get tired of lack of enthusiasm from some of the spoiled senior ten club members who complain that they have heard Alive at 100 shows, and stand motionless during most of the show.

They are in it for all fans, not just the senior ones. Just feel lucky to have what you have!! You could be worried about where you're next meal is going to come from, rather than whining over seat location at a concert.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    PP193448 said:

Losing in the lottery and being shut out for tics sucks for everyone, not just senior members, but everything in life isn't guaranteed either. (Unless you're a real prince or princess or extremely wealthy).
    I would take sitting in the lower section to the side closest to the stage with friends and famiily of the band and A list guests over GA any day. You can show up a few minutes before the first song, come and go as you please, and not have anyone bump into you all night long. No one to have to fight to see over or around. I joined in 2005 and best I had with reserved was about 25 rows back on the floor in Columbus 2010. I would never have the opportunity to be up close unless there was some kind of lottery.
    But yeah, I am sure that the band prob really does get tired of lack of enthusiasm from some of the spoiled senior ten club members who complain that they have heard Alive at 100 shows, and stand motionless during most of the show.

They are in it for all fans, not just the senior ones. Just feel lucky to have what you have!! You could be worried about where you're next meal is going to come from, rather than whining over seat location at a concert.

Perfectly said!!!!!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    edited May 2014
    BinFrog said:

Easily:

If you are member #3, and member #2 leaves the club: you still have #3, but technically you are 1 spot better so "sort of "#2.

When people ask about seat locations, it is assumed that thousands of fans have left over the years...it's just a rough estimate. I am 154xxx and I know that someone with a number between 150xxx and 160xxx will have similar seats to me based on a few factors.

I think Tim(?) said there's about 200,000 active memberships. The newest members seem to be around 500,000.

For the tours around 2010, it was rumored that "hometown" fans got a bit of a boost towards the front. There was also the random lotto for seats in rows 1,2,9 and 10. Someone posted that they were usually in about the 7th row, but got bumped back to row 9 which doesn't make sense, but whatever.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    quimby20 said:

Noload said:

quimby20 said:

GA's are here to stay. Ed spent some time at Springsteen shows and the pit is based on his set up. Just seats behind the pit. It is a great setup

As far as long time members, I understand the displeasure but a fan that is as new as yesterday should have the same opportunity to be up front as a 20 year veteran. I'm sure after 20 years, one would have been up front. Why would a fan club want to penalize newer members? I like this system.

The fan club/band did just that for most of its existence so ask them why they wanted to reward long time members by assigning a number and handing out seating based on that number.
    Times change, things change. My 16 year old is going with me to Detroit with GA's. If he chooses to get on the bus and becomes a huge fan he should have equal opportunities to be up front. I'm sure the band realizes this and be honest with yourself, I'm sure they get suck of seeing the same faces up front.

The band did get tired of it. 2003 brought the block seating (I got there late, so I'm sure my seat sucked compared to what it could have been.) 2009-2011 or so brought the row lottery. Supposedly in about 2000 or 2003, a bunch of fans were turning their backs to the "hits" like Even Flow. I can see why the band would have wanted to mix things up. You get people who really will go bonkers during Even Flow and Jeremy and then you get the people that think the concert is a dud if they don't hear Wash, Undone, U and Black, Red, Yellow... nothing wrong with trying to keep things fresh.

Should it be entirely seniority-based? I'm not sure, but the number should be a big factor... I'm not opposed to pit though...always someone looking to trade their pit for seats.

Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited May 2014
    So here's my question, how is the system set up today? When I picked up tickets in 2009 they were already inside a little envelope with my name on it but they were also "lottery" tickets in the front row. Based on the article I just read, is the current system in place where each members tickets are already determined and set aside, not the block system of 2003? Basically a "true" senior member does get the best "reserved seat?"
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    ~X(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400

So here's my question, how is the system set up today? When I picked up tickets in 2009 they were already inside a little envelope with my name on it but they were also "lottery" tickets in the front row. Based on the article I just read, is the current system in place where each members tickets are already determined and set aside, not the block system of 2003? Basically a "true" senior member does get the best "reserved seat?"

You are correct, but 10c will determine what the best seats are. With the GA sections now in front, these are often to the side. The block system was awful, and I am thankful they did away with it and never went back.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    PP193448 said:

That's right...Well said :)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I'm still trying to figure out if there was more bitching with the F5 fiasco or the lottery. It seems pretty even at this stage. Bitches be bitches.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    The lottery bitching seems way toned down to me compared to when it was first introduced.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    eddiec said:

I'm still trying to figure out if there was more bitching with the F5 fiasco or the lottery. It seems pretty even at this stage. Bitches be bitches.

That's what I'm thinking lol

• Options
    kristie73kristie73 Posts: 58
    Ten Club says, "Priority ticketing: Ten Club holds the best seats in the house for members-only pre-sales and rewards long-time fans for their dedication with seniority-based seating. Ticket allocations and box-office relations are handled in-house to ensure that the best tickets end up in the hands of Ten Club members. Although members are not guaranteed tickets, they are given the best chance at the best seats via a drawing, before the public on-sales."

I don't feel rewarded for my seniority. It does say no guarantee on tickets. But I'm a member that only attends my local show and when they don't come to my city often, it sucks to be shut out through the ten club. So yeah, I will bitch about it so they know the lottery can suck for some ten club members.

I hope for tickets when they go on sale to public. And if I get tickets, I hope for some decent seats. Crossing my fingers.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    quimby20 said:

PP193448 said:

Perfectly said!!!!!
    Not perfectly said. Lots of us in the 10c for 20 years that bring it and appreciate our seats and the shows we go to.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    jdopj said:

quimby20 said:

PP193448 said:

Perfectly said!!!!!
    Not perfectly said. Lots of us in the 10c for 20 years that bring it and appreciate our seats and the shows we go to.
    You haven't been in the 10c for 20 years. You've been in the 10c for 1 year, 20 times.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,817
    "Where did you expect to be? I'm 128xxx and I was 15-25 rows up at both Brooklyn, Philly and the Seattle show. The first section on both sides is usually a mix of the lowest 10C members and band guests/VIPs. In all 5 shows I attended I was surrounded by people wearing guest passes.

And your first sentence is not completely true. Even people who did ok in the lottery hate seeing long time members getting shutout. Yes, every fan deserves a chance, but seniority was once a pillar of 10C ticketing. Reducing its value opens the door to brokers and multiple account holders."

Where'd I expect to be? Where I was suppose to be, thats all i was trying to say. Just saying I read there was a ticketing error and that people weren't seated in the right spots. I was at MD show and was front row of the section and in Philly my seats were better too. I thought it was strange that I was so high up. Tickets were good.

And my first sentence is true because its just my opinion. I'm allowed to have one but I forgot alot of times on this forum you're not.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    CM189191 said:

You haven't been in the 10c for 20 years. You've been in the 10c for 1 year, 20 times.

Absolutely not true. If that were the case then member numbers would continually be reassigned and redistributed.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BinFrog said:

CM189191 said:

Absolutely not true. If that were the case then member numbers would continually be reassigned and redistributed.
    Well that's right it's Renewing your Membership and keeping the Same Membership Number.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,213

And your first sentence is not completely true. Even people who did ok in the lottery hate seeing long time members getting shutout. Yes, every fan deserves a chance, but seniority was once a pillar of 10C ticketing. Reducing its value opens the door to brokers and multiple account holders."

That's bit of a concern. I think seniority for tickets was originally brought in to prevent scalpers from getting the best tickets (or at least was a major contribter to why it was done). GA was probably pretty fair last year because it was the first time it had been done. Now that it seems to be a mainstay it's open for abuse. Fan club members can ask their spouse, friends, relatives to sign up for memberships and all enter the GA lotto (which I think is how people end up with extra tickets... ie they win more than they need). Scalpers can do the same thing. I saw this special on TV how brokers have books full of different credit cards, for different accounts they can buy stuff with. $20 isn't much to plunk for a shot at tickets you could sell for thousands. Buy 10 memberships, win 2 pairs of GA with 10 lotto entries. They'll make a killing. With GA you know your tickets well in advance. Unlike 2000 to 2011 where you didn't know your location until you got your tickets (which made them harder to sell).

I've mentioned it before but maybe GA should be a random pull from a single lottery per show (in which you could click a box to withhold from the GA draw). I think it would be far less open to abuse that way. No one would know they won the GA draw until the day of the show.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BinFrog said:

Well if that's the case, then it seems like you should get some sort of seniority after you buy your tickets.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    aumfcaumfc Posts: 85
    PP193448 said:

(This isn't necessarily directed at the OP, just using the post as a jumping off point.)

There are going to be those fans, new and old, that just like to stand there and listen to the music, and there will be those of us that have been in the club almost 20 years, and those that have been in 20 days, that go crazy for every song, old and new. Just the way it is.

I have no problem with the lottery, give everyone a shot. But, I still think it would be nice to give a percentage bump, however small, based on seniority. All I'm saying. If that doesn't happen, that's cool.

Also, I am happy about what I get. Why can't I be happy with what I have AND voice my opinion about ways to make it better? I'm not whining or complaining, just offering a suggestion. Again, I'm VERY happy and content, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement with anything. And what is a freaking internet message board for anyway if not offering one's opinion. :)
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

The band did get tired of it. 2003 brought the block seating (I got there late, so I'm sure my seat sucked compared to what it could have been.) 2009-2011 or so brought the row lottery. Supposedly in about 2000 or 2003, a bunch of fans were turning their backs to the "hits" like Even Flow.

does anyone have proof that actually happened?

sounds like one of those stories that get taller down the line.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,855
    03 wasn't block seating, 00 was. I've never heard of anyone literally turning their back, but even flow is a widely know piss break song to some.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    03 was block seating.
  • Options
    Won't matter much...I was 2 rows closer at PJ20 than the IceBowl.
    192xxx
    6/26+27/98, 10/8/00 (IB), 6/21/03, 9/3+4/11 (PJ20) - East Troy
    6/29/98, 10/9/00, 6/18/03, 5/16+17/06, 8/23+24/09, 8/20+22/16, 8/18+20/18, *8/29+31/24 - Chicago
    6/6/03 - Las Vegas
    10/5/04, 9/18/22 - St. Louis
    6/29/06, 10/20/14 - Milwaukee
    11/19/13 - Phoenix
    4/26/16 - Lexington

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    a5pj said:

03 wasn't block seating, 00 was. I've never heard of anyone literally turning their back, but even flow is a widely know piss break song to some.

I've read about this back-turning thing too. 2003 tour. Apparently some senior fans who are basically the 2003 equivalent of today's list nazis had a collective mental breakdown or something and decided to literally turn their backs on the band when they played hits that these obsessive fans figured they'd heard too many times. From what I've gathered, it actually might be a true story. If it is, I am Just glad I don't know any of those awful people, and hope they worked out their psychological problems.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Won't matter much...I was 2 rows closer at PJ20 than the IceBowl.

both wonderful shows in their own right
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    PJ_Soul said:

a5pj said:

I've read about this back-turning thing too. 2003 tour. Apparently some senior fans who are basically the 2003 equivalent of today's list nazis had a collective mental breakdown or something and decided to literally turn their backs on the band when they played hits that these obsessive fans figured they'd heard too many times. From what I've gathered, it actually might be a true story. If it is, I am Just glad I don't know any of those awful people, and hope they worked out their psychological problems.
    Never saw that at any shows i attended, however I do remember Ed chastising someone in Chicago 2009 for having a sign that said "NO Evenflow".

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore