Options

Ten Club Seniority?

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    RiotZact said:

So I'm entitled because I want a fair shot like everyone else at seeing my favorite band live? Wow. I'm not even sure why I'm arguing about this, clearly the band agrees with me, hence adding the GA pit to see some different faces up front.

What's not fair about a lottery? Everyone's equal.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,213
    quimby20 said:

Springsteen fans seem to make it work and this is without a fan club.

It's not really the fans that make it work. Springsteen's management (or whatever) runs the process themselves. There is no fan club so the whole floor is GA tickets bought from TM. You get to the arena in the afternoon, grab a number, go have a few beers, come back, they draw a number, and that number is the starting point for people who get into the pit. If there's still room after the hit the last number, the circle back and start at #1.

There's no point in lining up all day, there's no fighting, and it's pretty sweet. But it is done by Springsteen's posse or whatever. I don't think it's fans running it. It's probably why it's so smooth.

The funny part is that it's to determine who get's into the pit. PJ shows have already determined that, but because 10clubbers know this in advance, they line up all day. It'd be cooler if PJ consolidated it to one lottery per show, and random winners got in the pit (and you didn't find out you had GA until the day of show). It leave's the system way less open to manipulation that way. U2 did that on the vertigo tour and it was pretty cool. I missed out in getting in the pit on the atomic bomb tour because the lineup got so long it formed a U, so the end was right by the front, and chaos occured when the doors opened.

But the U2 vertigo tour thing of randomly winning pit passes work well. You didn't have to lineup all day. I'm also only saying that because I won via that method :)
  • Options
    nate_j_ynate_j_y Posts: 41
    quimby20 said:

nate_j_y said:

quimby20 said:

GA's are here to stay. Ed spent some time at Springsteen shows and the pit is based on his set up. Just seats behind the pit. It is a great setup

As far as long time members, I understand the displeasure but a fan that is as new as yesterday should have the same opportunity to be up front as a 20 year veteran. I'm sure after 20 years, one would have been up front. Why would a fan club want to penalize newer members? I like this system.

Why would a fan club want to penalize older members?
    It's not penalizing older members it is just leveling the playing field. I'm not referring to you but people that think if you have sort of level of seniority you automatically deserve the best tickets. Kind of an elitist attitude. The 1%. New fans keep the ball rolling.
    Maybe penalize is the wrong word. I don't really care where I sit, I only care about getting in the room. I remember when I first joined ('99) you could get two tickets to as many shows as you want and if I remember correctly it was the luck of the draw as far as where you sat. All you had to do was show up with your id and get your tickets. I understand the point of a lottery, i don't agree with it but I understand it. It's a numbers game. It's a business. It's way to increase membership which brings in more money. The convenience of a one-stop-shop for tickets is gone.

Example:

Lets say someone wants to go to 3 concerts. One of the concerts (excluding Denver) they won the lottery to. One concert is in a city other than Denver. And the final concert was the Denver show itself. The person would have to do three transactions to go to all three shows: 10 Club, Ticketmaster, and Altitude Tickets (the Pepsi Center does not use TM).

Is a member of the fan club benefiting form this?
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Zod said:

quimby20 said:

Springsteen fans seem to make it work and this is without a fan club.

It's not really the fans that make it work. Springsteen's management (or whatever) runs the process themselves. There is no fan club so the whole floor is GA tickets bought from TM. You get to the arena in the afternoon, grab a number, go have a few beers, come back, they draw a number, and that number is the starting point for people who get into the pit. If there's still room after the hit the last number, the circle back and start at #1.

There's no point in lining up all day, there's no fighting, and it's pretty sweet. But it is done by Springsteen's posse or whatever. I don't think it's fans running it. It's probably why it's so smooth.

The funny part is that it's to determine who get's into the pit. PJ shows have already determined that, but because 10clubbers know this in advance, they line up all day. It'd be cooler if PJ consolidated it to one lottery per show, and random winners got in the pit (and you didn't find out you had GA until the day of show). It leave's the system way less open to manipulation that way. U2 did that on the vertigo tour and it was pretty cool. I missed out in getting in the pit on the atomic bomb tour because the lineup got so long it formed a U, so the end was right by the front, and chaos occured when the doors opened.

But the U2 vertigo tour thing of randomly winning pit passes work well. You didn't have to lineup all day. I'm also only saying that because I won via that method :)
    Seen Springteen over 40 times. You are right, the system works well.

• Options
    Isoworld13Isoworld13 Posts: 221
    I think seniority does matter. Good #'s mean great seats, albeit not in the pit. Having good seniority allows you to go after the larger pool of reserved seats for a particularly popular show knowing that your seats will still be great. This is a big advantage. Going after GA for a very popular show greatly DECREASES your odds of actually going to the show. If you miss out on the extremely limited amount of GA tix with priority #1, then you are left going for the "scraps" (if there are even any left) in reserved for priority #2. Being able to sacrifice the GA PIT knowing that your low member # will net you just as great, if not BETTER seats in the reserved section is HUGE.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    know1 said:

RiotZact said:

So I'm entitled because I want a fair shot like everyone else at seeing my favorite band live? Wow. I'm not even sure why I'm arguing about this, clearly the band agrees with me, hence adding the GA pit to see some different faces up front.

Yeah I'm agreeing with the lottery, I'm criticizing the people who feel entitled to special treatment
  • Options
    Comatose PilateComatose Pilate Maine Posts: 353
    Not into the idea that living closer to a venue than the other guy should count for something. It's been 18 years since they played "close" to my hometown. That was the only time out of my 39 shows I didn't have to travel hundreds of miles. Hypothetical question: should someone who lives in let's say NY or MA (where the band has played numerous times) have more of a chance than the fellow New Englander from VT, NH or ME ( where all together have had 1 show ever: 1996 Augusta, ME) Just my opinion.

Congrats to all those who were lucky yesterday!
    1996: Augusta
    1998: Montreal, Mansfield I&II
    2000: Mansfield I&II, Montreal
    2003: Las Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, Mansfield I&III
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I&II
    2007: Lollapalooza
    2008: Bonnaroo, Camden I&II, Hartford, Mansfield I&II
    2009: Philadelphia III&IV
    2010: Hartford, Boston, New York City II
    2011: Alpine Valley I&II
    2013: Buffalo, Worcester I&II, Hartford, Los Angeles I&II
    2014: Tulsa, Lincoln
    2016: New York City I&II, Quebec City, Boston I&II, Chicago I&II
    2017: New York 
    2018: Seattle I&II, Boston I&II
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,241
    Please explain seniority to me....

I joined in 2007, I've since let my number lapse and now Im like 500,000 or something.

From what I'm reading pre lottery, members who had a low number assumed they had a better shot at getting tickets than me.
    I assumed we all had the same shot at tickets, but my tickets were going to be worse location wise.

Am I missing something, did lower 10club numbers have better odds at securing tickets or are people just sour they missed out.

I really thought I understood, but maybe I don't.

Please explain.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

I joined in 2007, I've since let my number lapse and now Im like 500,000 or something.

From what I'm reading pre lottery, members who had a low number assumed they had a better shot at getting tickets than me.
    I assumed we all had the same shot at tickets, but my tickets were going to be worse location wise.

Am I missing something, did lower 10club numbers have better odds at securing tickets or are people just sour they missed out.

Please explain.

No, you are right. Winning the lottery is the same odds for everyone. After that, seniority comes into play for reserved seating tickets.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    LF55358LF55358 Minnesota Posts: 71
    This what am saying if your Club Number means something or dictates seniority - I just check I have the EXACT same number as I did in 1996 and it hasn't changed, you cant tell me that other club members before me haven't left in that time frame......

So what does your Club Number really Mean?
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,241
    BinFrog said:

Please explain.

No, you are right. Winning the lottery is the same odds for everyone. After that, seniority comes into play for reserved seating tickets.
    So really nothing has changed except we don't sit here all day and refresh our screens?

Lower numbers still get you better seats, correct? So seniority is still as alive and beneficial as it always has been?

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

So really nothing has changed except we don't sit here all day and refresh our screens?

Lower numbers still get you better seats, correct? So seniority is still as alive and beneficial as it always has been?

Correct.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293

Membership 20$
    Member join at 1996 paid for this year 20$
    Member join at 2013 paid for this year 20$

Both same chances to score for tix of this year

after both score 1996 get better seats..

all so fine and simple...

I agree with this line of reasoning. Your 10C membership fee basically gives you the chance to get 1st shot at fan club tickets before the public sale for the year that you are a member.

For the people around in 1992, your membership fee got you first crack at tickets for shows in 1992. You got that benefit in 1992 and non-members did not. Your payment in 1992 did not guarantee you a lifetime of tickets.

For people who paid to be in the 10C in 1996, your fee got you a shot at tickets in 1996. You got that benefit in 1996.

The people who paid for a membership in 2014, got a shot at tickets in 2014.

The 10C is giving everyone who paid to be a member the same access to tickets and the same benefit for their membership fee. Seniority only comes into play once you win tickets. Senior members get better seats.

The real issue is that the 10C is growing and the band is touring less. Demand is far outpacing supply.
  • Options
    bjamesbjames Hart, Michigan Posts: 34
    Going to the D. Standing in GA. Happy! Been on the losing end, too. I feel some of the pain, but I Have been lucky to know other 10CC members allowing me access to some uneasy access shows. make Buds!!!!!
    L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G ALLOOOOOWED
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,855
    I think a lot of ppl don't realize that your priority is the same thing as your hometown show. You make the show #1, you have a better chance. Even if you live 50,000 miles away you can still make whatever show you choose your hometown show. It doesn't have to be location based. I think 10C did a good job with this, it was a huge complaint in the past.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2014
    RiotZact said:

know1 said:

RiotZact said:

Yeah I'm agreeing with the lottery, I'm criticizing the people who feel entitled to special treatment
    Like seniority has been an advertised benefit for maintaining membership and now some young whippersnappers complain about being born late and want special treatment? HA.

Seniority was always promoted by the band to give you better seats. It's a hybrid now due to GA. The lottery is fair and think its best system they've ever had cept GA sucks but know many like it. Soooo all good.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    Been a member since 93/94.....as far as I can recall, seniority was never a factor in the ability to purchase tickets...seniority was only the guiding factor in terms of seat quality.

The advent of GA floor is a good compromise in terms of catering to both old and new members.
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    edited May 2014
    MayDay10 said:

so I should activate my wife's membership she doesnt care about and start one for my son just to take advantage of a flawed system that should be fixed?

its genius from 10c for sure. basically ups the membership price to $100 on years they play a few shows.

If it makes you feel better on the spouse accounts, my husband and I both were shut out this round on a hometown show we've been hoping for since 2004. We are both fans and paid twice as much $ to enter and lose the lottery than you did.

I could obsess over the locals getting shut out of a home show just as you are obsessing over spouse accounts, but what's the point? I'm glad there are a lot of 10c folks coming into town (Denver) for this, even if it means I have to go public sale or scalper.

We added my husband's membership last year when we were trying for 2013 fall tickets around a family trip to PNW and wanted to do what we could to ensure 4 seats - our teenaged kids were with us. We're not scammers. Let it go.
    Post edited by jmuscatello on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    but you had double the chance as a single fan, and IMO that isnt completely equitable as everyone paints the lottery as.

I dont have a problem with the legit fans who happen to be married. I am sure there are a lot of questionable memberships out there now just held as GA chances. Not everyone here is on the up and up. I have seen members' ebay stores.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Been a member since 93/94.....as far as I can recall, seniority was never a factor in the ability to purchase tickets...seniority was only the guiding factor in terms of seat quality.

Correct.

I don't know where anybody got the idea that seniority gave you an advantage in purchasing tickets. It never has.
    Back in the mid to late 90's being a member of the fan club did guarantee you tickets...why?...because the membership level was much much smaller than it is now, and we were allowed to by 2 tickets per tour. No multiple shows. And the tours were larger, so there were a lot more than 10 shows to select from.

Seniority has only ever come into play with seat location. It still does for reserved seats. The advent of GA in the US mitigates seniority's worth to an extent, but the inability to get tickets has zero to do with seniority or lack thereof, its strictly supply and demand and the club has swelled to a point where the demand is far greater than 15-20 years ago, and to make matters worse, the band no longer embarks on long tours that encompass the entire country (except of course the south) in one calendar year. That's the real crux of the problem...too few shows nowadays.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    callen said:

RiotZact said:

know1 said:

RiotZact said:

Like seniority has been an advertised benefit for maintaining membership and now some young whippersnappers complain about being born late and want special treatment? HA.

Seniority was always promoted by the band to give you better seats. It's a hybrid now due to GA. The lottery is fair and think its best system they've ever had cept GA sucks but know many like it. Soooo all good.
    Please point out to me where I asked for special treatment, please dont put words in my mouth, I want equal treatment, better yet I want ALMOST equal treatment, I am in total support of you guys getting the better reserved seats. I just think we should have equal chances at getting in the building and and equal shot at seeing the band up front once or twice in a lifetime.
  • Options
    SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    grooveme said:

I don't really understand why "senior" members complain that they paid dues for 20 years and they expect not only better seating but guaranteed tickets before newer members get them.

The way I see it, as a long term fan but newer fan club member, those folks enjoyed the benefits of their membership for 15-20 years every year there was a tour. Many act as though they got no benefits for all those dues . And why would anyone join 10c now if the only real benefits are not available to them?

I don't think any senior members are expecting guaranteed tickets. What senior members want is a minor weighting system. It doesn't have to be huge or anything, but maybe just a small bone. In addition to index cards, senior members had to sit and wait all day, in rain, sun, extreme heat, etc, when tickets were handed out in blocks of ten club numbers. There were no envelopes at the window, just a stack of tickets. Many would have to take days off of work just to stand in line all day. No one is saying senior members should get guaranteed tickets. Senior members should get just a little better odds of winning reserved tickets through a weighted system.

Despite everyone saying that senior members have better seats in reserved, those seats actually have gotten a bit worse due to GA. I do think GA makes perfect sense. It gives newer members the chance to get up front and gives us fans more available tickets, as more members can fit in the pit than if seats were there. But it definitely has pushed back reserved seating quite a bit. Not complaining, but just a fact.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    RiotZact said:

callen said:

RiotZact said:

know1 said:

RiotZact said:

Please point out to me where I asked for special treatment, please dont put words in my mouth, I want equal treatment, better yet I want ALMOST equal treatment, I am in total support of you guys getting the better reserved seats. I just think we should have equal chances at getting in the building and and equal shot at seeing the band up front once or twice in a lifetime.
    We 're in total agreement and my post was more in jest than anything.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Member # 27xxx here i'm not leaving 10C , i have way more important things in my life to worry about & getting my front row seats to a concert is not one of'em any more .....

U are an inspiration to our club..amd not cos of your number..but for theway u deal with life
    Don't confuse this board with real life. Some may be pissed that seniority doesn't matter much any more and that they lost out on tickets, and this board is here to comment on it. I think seniority should matter and will state my opinion on here, but that doesn't mean this is the most important thing in the world to me and others and our priorities are messed up. If this board didn't exist we wouldn't debate it with our friends and family, but the board does and we do.
    not confusing anything..my opinion for Jose,who i know in person nothing to do with forum,or pj or al this whole forum thing.
    i personally admire him,for the way he sees life,for me is very wise person and i always put alot of thought to his answer here and to our private conversations
    im glad i call him friend of mine
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    SS9981 said:

My wife just re-joined this past year, probably has a 5xxxxx #, got 2 of her 3 picks. I, on the other hand, have been a loyal dues paying member since '95, #136xxx & got only 1 of my 3. Just so happens we have 2 sets of reserved for Memphis. Seniority means nothing in this world these days. Not at work, not here, nowhere. You may say we cry or sound as if we should have privilege, but in all honesty, that used to be what loyalty got you. Now the "New Kids" cry & of course the club wants to keep the new blood happy, more earning potential for the band on down the line.

I've noticed after reading several posts, that it seems that long-time members are losing the lottery where the new members are winning. Coincidence? I wonder.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    wow. before this auto renewal... it was hard to remember to renew sometimes... i remember checking that mailing label for my membership expiration date...and mailing that check out to Seattle.. who remembers those days?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited May 2014
    pshaw.

back in my day we had to send a telegram carried by horseback

edit: jk, I would categorize my number as "middling"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    MayDay10 said:

pshaw.

"

Uphill in a blizzard no less.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    MayDay10 said:

pshaw.

edit: jk, I would categorize my number as "middling"

:))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2014
    I remember Paying for the 2003 Perth Show via Postal Money Order...Ten Club email was like Tickets are there If you want them :P lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on