Options

botched execution in oklahoma...

123457»

Comments

• Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2015
    Sneed's own daughter wrote a letter to the OK Clemency board stating that she believes Glossip is innocent. She wrote that her father recanted his story to her but is afraid to act upon it for fear of the being given the death penalty himself. 4:47 mark https://soundcloud.com/the-huffington-post/a-death-row-inmate-explains-how-he-feels-during-his-final-week
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,856
    You can read his account of the facts of the case here. richardeglossip.com/
    At 3 in the morning, Justin woke Richard to say that some drunks had broken a window. Richard told him to cover it with something and he'd take care of it in the morning. As Justin turned to leave he said "oh yeah, I just killed Barry." Richard's response was essentially yeah, right. And he went back to sleep. His disbelief continued through much of the next day, until it became clear Barry was missing. Once he realized Justin had told him the truth, he was scared. He was responsible for the motel, and had hired Sneed to work there. Richard asked his girlfriend if he should say anything. She said no, that he should stay out of it. Richard admits he was stupid. But scared and stupid does not deserve a death penalty. And after 17 years in prison he's more than paid for that crime.

Richard was offered a plea bargain before the second trial, life in prison with the possibility of parole in 20 years in exchange for a plea of guilty to second degree murder. He turned it down.

Richard responds: "I was being asked to plead guilty to a crime I didn't do." He knew he was taking a risk, but was convinced that with a 'real' trial he would not be convicted. Looking back he probably made the wrong choice. But, is that where we are as a society? That execution is a 'roll of the dice'? I keep telling Richard that he somehow has won the reverse-lottery.
    I am not saying that I think he is the "brightest bulb in the box", but Sneed's first confession stated that he acted alone. He only implicated Glossip after he was offered a plea of life without parole instead of death. Sneed knew the system. Glossip was a good ole boy without a clue. Call me naive, but I kind of trust the nun's gut instinct. And I certainly have more than a reasonable doubt. I am not a supporter of the death penalty, but if we allow the state to execute innocent people are we not murderers ourselves?

I am a staunch anti-death penalty person.

It was incredibly stupid at best for him to remain quiet. Complicit at worst. Does the crown have any proof of a conspiracy? I would certainly hope they relied on more than a plea deal seeking criminal to not only prosecute, but for the DP? That is nuts.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Well apparently, the US Supremes are going to hear the case against Oklahoma's lethal injection experiments. It doesn't necessarily save Glossip's butt though. Per Sister Helen:
    The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a lawsuit filed by Richard Glossip and several other Oklahoma death row inmates regarding the experimental drugs used in lethal injections in that state and several others. Oral arguments will take place on April 29, exactly one year since Oklahoma botched the execution of Clayton Lockett with the same drugs it seeks to use to kill Richard. At this point, Richard's execution is still scheduled for Thursday, but lawyers will be seeking a stay in light of this development and we will continue to seek clemency from Gov. Fallin. Stay tuned here for further updates.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/lethal-injection/why-supreme-court-acting-oklahoma-lethal-injections-case-n292816
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Have ten or so reasons that I feel we can't end lives with botched being at the bottom.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,725
    This shit appears to be going ahead on May 18th.....I hope there is some serious outrage, I hope this garners the horror it should, and I hope against all hope something changes, because this whole episode stinks of bullshit. This guy has had three last meals already, and whilst I am sure he made mistakes (there are some very interesting videos about it all on youtube and his initial interviews with the police), the debacle is as shady as hell. 

Are they really going to execute a man on that evidence? If it goes ahead it will be a massive stain on the US death penalty and justice system generally. Fuck me even the AG in the state has petitioned to court against it. That same AG has requested clemency for him - an absolute first in OKC. Yet its denied. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    What is the case you're talking about?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    What is the case you're talking about?
    Richard Glossips execution 
  • Options
    I must have been lost in an older page on this thread and can't find it now. Someone was talking about a botched execution, took him to the hospital to revive him and execute him later. Can't find it now. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,920
    mace1229 said:
    I must have been lost in an older page on this thread and can't find it now. Someone was talking about a botched execution, took him to the hospital to revive him and execute him later. Can't find it now. 

previous case in Oklahoma , which is why this guy is appealing....... among other things, like the actual killer got life. he was the driver?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Well apparently, the US Supremes are going to hear the case against Oklahoma's lethal injection experiments. It doesn't necessarily save Glossip's butt though. Per Sister Helen:
    The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a lawsuit filed by Richard Glossip and several other Oklahoma death row inmates regarding the experimental drugs used in lethal injections in that state and several others. Oral arguments will take place on April 29, exactly one year since Oklahoma botched the execution of Clayton Lockett with the same drugs it seeks to use to kill Richard. At this point, Richard's execution is still scheduled for Thursday, but lawyers will be seeking a stay in light of this development and we will continue to seek clemency from Gov. Fallin. Stay tuned here for further updates.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/lethal-injection/why-supreme-court-acting-oklahoma-lethal-injections-case-n292816

@mace1229
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

previous case in Oklahoma , which is why this guy is appealing....... among other things, like the actual killer got life. he was the driver?
    I think I read he hired the killer. Which, based on all the ID crime shows I watch, isn't uncommon for the killer to get less than the employer. They often need his cooperation to get the guy that hired him for the killing, so they offer him a deal. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

I think I read he hired the killer. Which, based on all the ID crime shows I watch, isn't uncommon for the killer to get less than the employer. They often need his cooperation to get the guy that hired him for the killing, so they offer him a deal. 

sole witness to the "murder for hire" scheme. with no corroboration as I understand it.

• Options

• Options
     Glossips conviction is as shaky as they come. There is literally no evidence to support his involvement other than the testimony of a man who killed the guy, a known drug addict, and a guy who changed his testimony three times. He went on to talk loosely in prison about recanting his testimony also. 

Glossip was offered a deal to avoid the DP but refused it, refusing to admit a crime he is adamant he did not commit. 

His biggest mistake was trying to cover for the actual killer in the immediate aftermath when in a blind panic. 

When AG is fighting your corner - which has never happened in OKC - you know something is wrong. They buried evidence, boxes and boxes of it, which came to light only a few months ago. Independant reviews have concluded on the full facts no jury would have come to the decision they did.....and yet the circus is still going on.......How anyone can have any faith in that system is beyond me