Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,554
    edited April 2016
    The Fixer said:

jason groome suspended for rest of the season. kinda sucks for the phillies

No, he's not suspended for the year.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/highschool/barnegat-s-jason-groome-ineligible-because-of-transfer-violation/article_89912edc-026d-11e6-8796-cf22c7f6b88e.html#.Vw_-dXhzhKM.twitter

It sucks though as me & a friend were planning on seeing him pitch this Saturday.

I know that Barnegat is playing Gloucester Catholic, where the River Sharks played in Camden, NJ, on May 16th at 7:00. Gloucester Catholic has been a baseball power for years. They have a good pitcher in Tyler Mondile , who's committed to Florida State(though i can see him getting drafted pretty high ). Here's a story of his no-no

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-8661530377731103228/pennsville-0-at-gloucester-catholic-7-baseball/

Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,296
    The Fixer said:

From everything I'm trying to read - he'd still be eligible for the draft, no?

yeah, won't affect his draft eligibility. highly doubtful he'd be in the mix for the top pick if he doesn't pitch this spring though.
    he's gonna miss 2 starts. not that big of a deal. the whole rule is stupid anyway. i don't know why we don't let high school athletes transfer without penalty. shouldn't parents have the right to search for the best opportunity for their kids in sports? they can do it academically so why punish the athletes? i hate those type of rules at the high school level.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,259
    starting pitchers not too shabby
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,259
    always nice to see pappelbon blow another save :smiley:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,485
    Pappleschlong
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Beautiful day yesterday at the ballpark. And no better way to end it than watching that scumbag blow it.
  • Options
    hit the Greenville show Saturday night. As much as i think playing a whole album in a row is kind of hackish if I had to hear one Vs. would have been my choice. Awesome show. my 25th and i think this is the 2nd best show i've ever seen PJ play (04/28/03 still my favorite). they were on fire and the Greenville crowd was fantastic. Ed is sound really fucking good. Greenville was a neat little town too. can't wait for the 2 Philly shows. hopefully the weather is nice so tailgating will be good.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Wow, 2nd best show you have seen out of 25, at this stage of the game? Makes me even more excited for the Philly and MSG shows.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2016/4/19/11455248/writers-say-phillies-will-once-again-soon-be-monsters-of-baseball

The Philadelphia Phillies are a sleeping giant, and the baseball world is starting to realize it.

As young pitchers Aaron Nola, Jerad Eickhoff and Vincent Velasquez impress, as Maikel Franco and Odubel Herrera continue to show they're for real, and as a large number of close-to-Major League ready prospects continue to play well in the minors, there is a growing realization that the Phils will not be doormats for very long.

On his Baseball Tonight podcast from last Friday, ESPN's Buster Olney spoke to Phillies beat writer from the Philadelphia Inquirer, Matt Gelb, about the Phils' young rotation. And while Olney couldn't help but once again mention his belief that the Phils are involved in "tanking" the 2016 season in order to get as high a draft pick as possible in 2017, he noted once again that, given the current rules in baseball, the franchise was doing the right thing (as he has often said).

While it still doesn't square in my mind how the Phillies can be doing something that is morally wrong (like "tanking") while at the same time be doing the right thing, Olney did go on to say that he thinks the Phils are setting themselves up to be "a monster" once again, very soon.

...what the Phillies are building right now is a monster. This, to me, is a team that you could say that the Phillies of 2016 are like the Cubs of 2012, because of the prospects they're collecting, the quality of players they have in their farm system and because of their unbelievable financial flexibility that they are gonna have going forward, particularly as we get closer to the fall of 2018 when we have that historic free agent class that could include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez. It seems to me the Phillies are absolutely moving in the right direction.

Rebuilding works, and by all accounts the Phillies are doing an extremely good job of rebuilding thus far.

And Olney is not alone. In his weekly "10 Degrees" piece for Yahoo! Sports, Jeff Passan referenced the magnificent performance of Velasquez against the San Diego Padres last week, and noted it could be just the start of a revival for the Phillies.

...no team is better set than the Phillies to leap from the doldrums and contend within the next two years. It's not just that after a decade of awful drafts they crushed their last three first-round draft picks - shortstop J.P. Crawford, who's going to be a star, Nola and Cornelius Randolph, who might've been the best prep bat in last year's class. It's the two big trades. Velasquez came with four others for reliever Ken Giles. And Eickhoff was the fourth-biggest name in the Hamels deal behind Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro and Jake Thompson.

Between their revamped rotation and replenished minor league system, all would be well enough. The fact that the Phillies can supplement it with a wide-open payroll - once Ryan Howard comes off after this season and Matt Harrison after next, their commitments are literally $0 - is scary for the Nationals, Braves, Marlins and, yes, the Mets...

In case you were wondering, here is that free agent class of 2018 (from ESPN's Dave Schoenfield).

Besides Harper, you'll have Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, A.J. Pollock, Dee Gordon, Jose Fernandez, Dallas Keuchel, matt Harvey, Garrett Richards and Shelby Miller. Players with opt-out clauses will include David Price, Jason Heyward, and Clayton Kershaw. Need a relief pitcher? How about Trevor Rosenthal, Zach Britton, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Miller, Kelvin Herrera, Jeurys Familia or David Robertson? There will be veterans like Adam Jones, Michael Brantley, Adam Wainwright and Adrian Gonzalez available as well.

So here you have a team that could have a solid nucleus of Franco, Herrera, Nola, Eickhoff, Velasquez, Jake Thompson, maybe Mark Appel, J.P. Crawford, Nick Williams, Andrew Knapp, Jorge Alfaro and whoever this year's No. 1 overall pick in the draft will be.

When you couple that with absolutely no financial commitments at this time and a virtually unlimited wallet at their disposal, it's frightening to think the position they could be in in just a couple seasons.

As it is, given the fast start the pitching staff has gotten off to (Nola's last start notwithstanding), the Phillies could already be a year ahead of schedule, as mentioned by Phils beat writer Kevin Cooney in the latest Felske Files podcast, found below.

They may be paper tigers now, but the drumbeat is starting to grow louder.

The Phillies are coming, and that right soon.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Dude, I don't think these idiots know what "tanking" is.
  • Options
    shocking someone tries to make a much bigger deal out of philly fans behavior. Panthers get penalized for throwing plastic rats and no one cares. typical.
  • Options

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2016/4/19/11455248/writers-say-phillies-will-once-again-soon-be-monsters-of-baseball

The Philadelphia Phillies are a sleeping giant, and the baseball world is starting to realize it.

As young pitchers Aaron Nola, Jerad Eickhoff and Vincent Velasquez impress, as Maikel Franco and Odubel Herrera continue to show they're for real, and as a large number of close-to-Major League ready prospects continue to play well in the minors, there is a growing realization that the Phils will not be doormats for very long.

On his Baseball Tonight podcast from last Friday, ESPN's Buster Olney spoke to Phillies beat writer from the Philadelphia Inquirer, Matt Gelb, about the Phils' young rotation. And while Olney couldn't help but once again mention his belief that the Phils are involved in "tanking" the 2016 season in order to get as high a draft pick as possible in 2017, he noted once again that, given the current rules in baseball, the franchise was doing the right thing (as he has often said).

While it still doesn't square in my mind how the Phillies can be doing something that is morally wrong (like "tanking") while at the same time be doing the right thing, Olney did go on to say that he thinks the Phils are setting themselves up to be "a monster" once again, very soon.

...what the Phillies are building right now is a monster. This, to me, is a team that you could say that the Phillies of 2016 are like the Cubs of 2012, because of the prospects they're collecting, the quality of players they have in their farm system and because of their unbelievable financial flexibility that they are gonna have going forward, particularly as we get closer to the fall of 2018 when we have that historic free agent class that could include Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez. It seems to me the Phillies are absolutely moving in the right direction.

Rebuilding works, and by all accounts the Phillies are doing an extremely good job of rebuilding thus far.

And Olney is not alone. In his weekly "10 Degrees" piece for Yahoo! Sports, Jeff Passan referenced the magnificent performance of Velasquez against the San Diego Padres last week, and noted it could be just the start of a revival for the Phillies.

...no team is better set than the Phillies to leap from the doldrums and contend within the next two years. It's not just that after a decade of awful drafts they crushed their last three first-round draft picks - shortstop J.P. Crawford, who's going to be a star, Nola and Cornelius Randolph, who might've been the best prep bat in last year's class. It's the two big trades. Velasquez came with four others for reliever Ken Giles. And Eickhoff was the fourth-biggest name in the Hamels deal behind Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro and Jake Thompson.

Between their revamped rotation and replenished minor league system, all would be well enough. The fact that the Phillies can supplement it with a wide-open payroll - once Ryan Howard comes off after this season and Matt Harrison after next, their commitments are literally $0 - is scary for the Nationals, Braves, Marlins and, yes, the Mets...

In case you were wondering, here is that free agent class of 2018 (from ESPN's Dave Schoenfield).

Besides Harper, you'll have Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, A.J. Pollock, Dee Gordon, Jose Fernandez, Dallas Keuchel, matt Harvey, Garrett Richards and Shelby Miller. Players with opt-out clauses will include David Price, Jason Heyward, and Clayton Kershaw. Need a relief pitcher? How about Trevor Rosenthal, Zach Britton, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Miller, Kelvin Herrera, Jeurys Familia or David Robertson? There will be veterans like Adam Jones, Michael Brantley, Adam Wainwright and Adrian Gonzalez available as well.

So here you have a team that could have a solid nucleus of Franco, Herrera, Nola, Eickhoff, Velasquez, Jake Thompson, maybe Mark Appel, J.P. Crawford, Nick Williams, Andrew Knapp, Jorge Alfaro and whoever this year's No. 1 overall pick in the draft will be.

When you couple that with absolutely no financial commitments at this time and a virtually unlimited wallet at their disposal, it's frightening to think the position they could be in in just a couple seasons.

As it is, given the fast start the pitching staff has gotten off to (Nola's last start notwithstanding), the Phillies could already be a year ahead of schedule, as mentioned by Phils beat writer Kevin Cooney in the latest Felske Files podcast, found below.

They may be paper tigers now, but the drumbeat is starting to grow louder.

The Phillies are coming, and that right soon.

I get the sense Middleton is going to make a big play for Bryce Harper. Can't see Harper re-signing in Washington and only about 4 teams are going to be able to afford him. With the Comcast deal kicking in i can see Phils making a big offer.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    edited April 2016
    Hands off. He's going to the Yankees. $400 million may get you to the table.

I cannot wait to see this contract. I don't think it's likely, but I don't think $600 mil is impossible. All it takes is one team
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

shocking someone tries to make a much bigger deal out of philly fans behavior. Panthers get penalized for throwing plastic rats and no one cares. typical.
    pjhawks said:

I think it's a pretty reasonable take and it specifically says the behavior is not only in Philly
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I cannot wait to see this contract. I don't think it's likely, but I don't think $600 mil is impossible. All it takes is one team

Remember when everyone thought Cliff Lee was going to the Yankees? That was funny.

The money in this sport is utterly ridiculous.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Remember when everyone thought Cliff Lee was going to the Yankees? That was funny.

The money in this sport is utterly ridiculous.
    Very clearly, as I said, it only takes one team...

It is, but I'd much rather have it go to Bryce Harper than Hal Steinbrenner, though I'm not positive that jackass will pony up enough for Harper, even though he is likely going to be the perfect player at the perfect time for that organization.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    most of the fans in this city are white trash. Especially eagles fans.

sorry guys, it's the truth. our reputation is well deserved. crying about it only reinforces it and makes us look worse
  • Options

Lerner might have more money than the phils and yanks combined. Harper isn't going anywhere. Nats are freakin loaded -- at the major and minor league level.

I think it's funny that people are getting all excited about the phillies average SPs being off to a decent start.

I love the phillies but they are a distant fourth in the division in terms of their future
  • Options
    So I was supposed to fly to raleigh this morning. Had GA tix via the 10 Club. I understand that bands can do whatever they want, but the timing and handling of their cancelation was nothing short of a debacle. I do not understand why they waited until 48 hours beforehand to announce the cancelation. A more effective and professional way to handle the entire thing would have been to donate to a charity or cause supporting their stance on the matter at hand...no need to penalize their fans for something way beyond our control.

I was able to get a flight credit and cancel my hotel room at no charge. Apparently the 10 club is reimbursing us for tickets as well. So I'm not losing any money on all of this (which I'm not really worried about anyway). At the end of the day it's become more difficult for me to remain a fan of a band whose political agendas are obviously more important than their fan base (not to mention their last few albums have been average at best). Also, being that most of their core fans are older, I'm sure there are a large percentage of us who disagree with their political views. Personally I get more conservative as I get older (mainly because I don't like paying higher taxes to support fledgling government programs that I see no benefit from -- the government is mostly inefficient. I disagree with those who want to make it larger), so I guess my willingness to have others' agendas force fed to me has waned.

I will still be attending upcoming shows in Philly, NYC, and Boston. Not sure how I even feel about going and giving money to a band that supports and flaunts causes that I mostly disagree with (the stuff in NC I could literally not care less about...not sure why it's such a big deal). Might have to buy a Trump mask to wear to these shows.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    The Fixer said:

So I was supposed to fly to raleigh this morning. Had GA tix via the 10 Club. I understand that bands can do whatever they want, but the timing and handling of their cancelation was nothing short of a debacle. I do not understand why they waited until 48 hours beforehand to announce the cancelation. A more effective and professional way to handle the entire thing would have been to donate to a charity or cause supporting their stance on the matter at hand...no need to penalize their fans for something way beyond our control.

I was able to get a flight credit and cancel my hotel room at no charge. Apparently the 10 club is reimbursing us for tickets as well. So I'm not losing any money on all of this (which I'm not really worried about anyway). At the end of the day it's become more difficult for me to remain a fan of a band whose political agendas are obviously more important than their fan base (not to mention their last few albums have been average at best). Also, being that most of their core fans are older, I'm sure there are a large percentage of us who disagree with their political views. Personally I get more conservative as I get older (mainly because I don't like paying higher taxes to support fledgling government programs that I see no benefit from -- the government is mostly inefficient. I disagree with those who want to make it larger), so I guess my willingness to have others' agendas force fed to me has waned.

I will still be attending upcoming shows in Philly, NYC, and Boston. Not sure how I even feel about going and giving money to a band that supports and flaunts causes that I mostly disagree with (the stuff in NC I could literally not care less about...not sure why it's such a big deal). Might have to buy a Trump mask to wear to these shows.

I posted the following on the Tenclub facebook page and got fucking flamed for it:

"Cancelling the show was a lazy, uncreative move. In the early afternoon before the concert, the band could totally have led a peaceful protest on the steps of the state capital building or something to that nature. And then play the show at night with a feeling that the band and the fans that protested actually accomplishing something. Cancelling accomplishes nothing. But that's what Bruce Springsteen did so PJ just followed suit."

Really, what I got flamed for was daring to call PJ "lazy and uncreative" and suggesting that "cancelling accomplishes nothing". People calling me dumb or suggesting I go listen to Nickelback instead (there were some that agreed with me too or "liked" the post).

And I totally get what you mean about the politics. I used to be able to ignore them; Skip ahead to the next song on bootlegs when Eddie begins to talk about anything other than music, roll my eyes and zone out when he does that when I'm in attendance for the show. But it's getting hard to tolerate the fact that the band are such liberal grandstanders. I guess they've always been. But this time they've taken it to another level. And I'm a registered Democrat. It's not that I disagree with many of their political views. But shut up and play your fucking music.

The worst part of their (and by "their", I mean Eddie's) political bullshit is that it's divisive. And in a society that's already so divided, something like millions of people liking the same band should be embraced and not fucked with. Take Metallica for example. They don't talk about politics even though I'd wager a guess that James Hetfield is a total Nugent-like conservative. But when asked once about his political views, he straight-up told the interviewer that he didn't want to talk about them because it can be divisive amongst his fans. I like that approach; "Don't worry what my views are. If you like Metallica, then I'm here to play music for you." Eddie's approach is "These are my views and if you disagree with them, then fuck you." And unfortunately, a lot of PJ fans have taken on this same viewpoint.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Your divisiveness to the divisiveness is divisive. How bout that?
  • Options
    I was worried that this whole activism and political view thing was a new development then I remembered...

• Options

Your divisiveness to the divisiveness is divisive. How bout that?

I'm not sure.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

I was worried that this whole activism and political view thing was a new development then I remembered...

Politics and music will always go hand in hand. I don't care if he wants to make comments during shows -- it's his prerogative to do so. What I do have issues with is completely blindsiding fans with last minute cancelations. Very Guns and Roses like.

Like I said, I guess the older I get the less I want to hear what these guys have to say in regards to politics.

As for your clip, I find this quote apropos. (the brain thing is probably hyperbolic, but I agree with the gist of the quote from the great Winston Churchill. I was definitely liberal in college and my early 20's. Then I graduated college and started making money and now I'm a registered Republican. I am still mostly socially liberal, but monetarily I am staunchly conservative -- and I will always vote as such because I think it is my right to keep as much of my income as possible to provide for my family, instead of being forced to care for the inept.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

Ledbetter, good for you for speaking up. Lot of sheep in these parts who just agree with anything the band says or does. Generally when Vedder goes on his political rants I just roll my eyes and patiently wait for the next song to start. At these upcoming shows I'm attending, I will surely be booing any of his political propaganda.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

But it's just a guy writing on his arm with marker. Same with his "No Bush" shirt on SNL. It was just a guy in a shirt. I dunno, for "activists", they always seem to do the bare minimum. Take, for example, MCA from the Beastie Boys organizing the Tibetan Freedom Concert. That's actually doing something for a cause you believe in. And many artists have done things to that nature. With Pearl Jam, it's a donation here, a George Bush mask there, but nothing that ever really moves the needle on an issue.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I agree the timing was poor
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Ledbetter, good for you for speaking up. Lot of sheep in these parts who just agree with anything the band says or does. Generally when Vedder goes on his political rants I just roll my eyes and patiently wait for the next song to start. At these upcoming shows I'm attending, I will surely be booing any of his political propaganda.

At a show a few years ago, Eddie was talking between songs about...whatever...and at one point said "You know me, I can go on forever." I shouted "Trust me, we know!" The girl two rows ahead of me glared back at me as if I had thrown tomatoes at the pope.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    they had what two weeks since Springsteen cancelled to make a decision? waiting until 2 days before (or more like 1.5 days) was a total richard move. no reason for that. Now i haven't seen much news or online news the past few days but has PJ cancelling that show drawn any media outlet interest? seems like the move has barely caused a ripple.

as for Ed politicizing from the stage i guess that's his right since it's their show and his platform and I don't boo or comment on them at the show but yea pretty much just a play a song instead or ranting. only thing as annoying is all the freaking requests these days.

that being said the band still can't wait for the Philly shows.