Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
    edited March 2022
    Can someone explain to me how this street makes sense? I was near my parents old house last night (didnt take pic so this is from google) and this street used to be one way. It still is...only now now there is a bike lane IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD going the opposite direction. And the left side is just for parking. So cars have to cross over the bike lane to park. I can't stop thinking about how dumb this looks. It just seems like it's some evil plan to kill some unsuspecting bicyclist. Pretty busy road right off Lancaster Ave too

Awww hell yeah, now we're getting into the weeds of my shit. Let's keep this convo going.

This is what happens when government tries to appease everyone without upsetting anyone. How this should work is it should be a one way lane on the right, then parking, then the bike lane.

I hate sharrows and signs like that that say "May Use Full Lane". It's bad infrastructure. That signs infers that bikes cannot use roads that don't have that sign, same for the roads without sharrows. Bike are allowed the full use of a lane on any road not a highway in PA, with 4 feet of space on the sides and rear.

Related - donate to https://www.5thsq.org/

Unrelated - this convo, YouTubeTV, that subhuman Clarence Thomas. WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU NERDS?? Take this shit to AMT with THE OTHER WEIRDOS.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,799
    Be better, partisan psychopaths!

:lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    Yeah...it's downhill too. Can you imagine cruising along at a decent speed on your bike when a parked car starts pulling out on your right around the same time another one is moving towards you on your left?! 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Yeah...it's downhill too. Can you imagine cruising along at a decent speed on your bike when a parked car starts pulling out on your right around the same time another one is moving towards you on your left?! 
    Yeah, I've been nearly doored before. It's fucking harrowing. And probably should be a two-way bike lane all the way to the left, too.  And is that still parking on the right side of the road? This is usually why these things end up this way. None of the NIMBYs wants to lose their precious parking.

EDIT: I'm completely leaving out the time on Pine Street, in the bike lane, a cab drove up the bike lane and ran me over. So that was fun. Can't believe I'm not leading with that.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Also, Juggs, now I'm curious - what road is this?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,733
    That SOB still hasn't resigned. They are corrupt, lawless & extreme. His pal Alito is a Phillies fan - there - we are on thread topic.

Bike riding - the worst is on "trails". The 4 old ladies walking astride taking up the whole path, the people with the crazy dogs, the kids running every which way. It's crazy. And people wonder why we ride on the roads. And they paved those stupid yellow line rumble strips, and cars don't want to cross the yellow line to give the legally mandated 4' clearance (which nobody knows about anyway). And that edge of the road where you're supposed to ride is all torn up and hasn't been paved in 35 years. Most drivers are pretty nice but you get the random pick-up just lay on their horn and scare the hell out of you. I mean, this is all just to get some damn exercise. Or god forbid commute or use your bike to go somewhere.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    That SOB still hasn't resigned. They are corrupt, lawless & extreme. His pal Alito is a Phillies fan - there - we are on thread topic.

Bike riding - the worst is on "trails". The 4 old ladies walking astride taking up the whole path, the people with the crazy dogs, the kids running every which way. It's crazy. And people wonder why we ride on the roads. And they paved those stupid yellow line rumble strips, and cars don't want to cross the yellow line to give the legally mandated 4' clearance (which nobody knows about anyway). And that edge of the road where you're supposed to ride is all torn up and hasn't been paved in 35 years. Most drivers are pretty nice but you get the random pick-up just lay on their horn and scare the hell out of you. I mean, this is all just to get some damn exercise. Or god forbid commute or use your bike to go somewhere.
    Speaking of subhuman - put a cyclist in front of someone driving a car and watch them turn into an ape hollllyy shit. Just foaming at the mouth crazy, they are one form with their car.
  • Options
    Also, Juggs, now I'm curious - what road is this?
    West Wayne Ave....around the block from where they showed that PJ20 movie back in the day. I think I remember you seeing it there?

My dad actually thinks one of his old nutjob neighbor was behind this idea as he relentlessly pushed for a similar lane on their street a few years back before they moved.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Yeah, I've been nearly doored before. It's fucking harrowing. And probably should be a two-way bike lane all the way to the left, too.  And is that still parking on the right side of the road? This is usually why these things end up this way. None of the NIMBYs wants to lose their precious parking.

EDIT: I'm completely leaving out the time on Pine Street, in the bike lane, a cab drove up the bike lane and ran me over. So that was fun. Can't believe I'm not leading with that.
    Yeah there's like 5 metered spots on the bottom right of the picture where that van is. No idea what that red car think's he's doing though. 

You got run over?! I actually got hit by a Hummer drunkingly walking out of a bar in Old City at 2 in the morning like twenty years ago. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The ol' Anthony Wayne, yes, the Immagine in Cornice film it was. Yep, when I lived in Berwyn, very familiar with the area. Too many nights spent at Cabrini, even though I didn't go there, and DJing at the Great American Pub.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah I see it now - it's weird how the google images blinks over the most recent picture of it by just a few feet.
  • Options
    The ol' Anthony Wayne, yes, the Immagine in Cornice film it was. Yep, when I lived in Berwyn, very familiar with the area. Too many nights spent at Cabrini, even though I didn't go there, and DJing at the Great American Pub.
    Yeah that's what it was. GAP has a rooftop bar now, from what I have been told. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    And, yes, run over. I honestly accepted I was going to die, and thank god it was absolutely minor shit. I could hear something weird behind me. I'm in the bike lane minding my own business pedaling along next to the cars that are backed up in after-work traffic. And I hear what sounds like a car hitting the curb. I don't know what was up with this dude but I turn around and I see him swerve out of the way of traffic, up on the sidewalk, then into part of the bike lane and coming up quick on my ass. At this point I brace for impact. He hits me in the back with enough force (and thankfully?) I go flying up in the air and to the right onto the sidewalk and my bike getting pummeled. He sits there for maybe 20 seconds which is enough time for me to weirdly memorize his license plate and then he speeds off. Terrible. 

I'm gonna guess that person in that Hummer wasn't sober either.
  • Options
    Whoa. What is it about someone riding a damn bike that triggers these scumbags so much.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    And, yes, run over. I honestly accepted I was going to die, and thank god it was absolutely minor shit. I could hear something weird behind me. I'm in the bike lane minding my own business pedaling along next to the cars that are backed up in after-work traffic. And I hear what sounds like a car hitting the curb. I don't know what was up with this dude but I turn around and I see him swerve out of the way of traffic, up on the sidewalk, then into part of the bike lane and coming up quick on my ass. At this point I brace for impact. He hits me in the back with enough force (and thankfully?) I go flying up in the air and to the right onto the sidewalk and my bike getting pummeled. He sits there for maybe 20 seconds which is enough time for me to weirdly memorize his license plate and then he speeds off. Terrible. 

I'm gonna guess that person in that Hummer wasn't sober either.
    Wow. We're they able to catch the guy since you had the license plate number?

I have no idea if the hummer driver was sober or not as he sped away before anyone could get a good look at the license plate. All I know as it was a big yellow mother fucker. It came up behind us and the front tire hit my legs from behind and pushed me off to the side. I had the feeling was I was gonna die too....sort of relived my life really quick. It was weird. Right when I started to get up and turn to look, these two nurses who just happened to be in the area pushed me back down and held me there until the ambulance came as they thought I might be paralyzed or something. YADA YADA YADA....I end up being discharged from Thomas Jefferson around 6 am with minor scrapes and bruises. Lost a nail or two. That was it. My back was a little off too, but nothing serious. I still have the pants from that night with the tire marks. Also have the police sketch which is hilarious. It's a stick figure with an arrow pointing across the street...then this big vehicle below with an arrow pointing right at the stick figure Juggler. 

We were at Plough and the Stars...which I can't believe is still around twenty years later. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jesus Christ. I'm gonna guess at the collective height of the inebriated drinking for everyone in this thread we all should have died multiple, multiple times.  That's crazy.

Yeah, I filed a police report and all that. Tried to get my insurance company to sue the taxi company. Just nothing came of it because of the stellar detective work of the Philadelphia Police Department. If I regret anything, though, it was not going to be admitted to Pennsylvania Hospital, which was right there. All I could think was, "this is a fucking huge pain in the ass. nothing hurts, nothing's broken. i just want to get home and see my wife and baby." But it would've probably helped immensely in a court of law.

That's the thing - cars are never seen as murder weapons, unless someone is actually dead. No one actually cares about this stuff from a litigious standpoint unless your 6 feet under or paralyzed. And even then you barely have a chance, and it's still called an "accident" or something else stupid.

P&S is a decent spot for getting shitfaced on whiskey. I'm assuming that led to the getting-run-over haha...
  • Options
    I rode home to South Philly back in the day from a CC happy hour and I was like "never doing that again". That was a frightening feeling - like there's no way I should be on this bike right now.

• Options
    I rode home to South Philly back in the day from a CC happy hour and I was like "never doing that again". That was a frightening feeling - like there's no way I should be on this bike right now.
    Everyday, man. Everyday with two kids on the bike. At least the part of the ride where I go, "I might get shot for going off on this driver" is when they're at school and I'm not responsible for pickup. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,653
    Everyday, man. Everyday with two kids on the bike. At least the part of the ride where I go, "I might get shot for going off on this driver" is when they're at school and I'm not responsible for pickup. 
    You talking about me?!? It was raining that day!!!
  • Options
    You talking about me?!? It was raining that day!!!

Lol sometimes I kid and I think after the fact, "damn ya think they know I was joking?" 
  • Options
  • Options
    Wtf…was literally in the process of buying tickets to the Linc show this summer and listening to walk tonight 
  • Options
    Yeah pretty crazy.
  • Options
    Wtf…was literally in the process of buying tickets to the Linc show this summer and listening to walk tonight 
    Yeah La Signora just got tixx for b-day. So sad. You never would've thought Alanis would outlive her drummer.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,231
    Yeah La Signora just got tixx for b-day. So sad. You never would've thought Alanis would outlive her drummer.

Last time i saw the foos was about 10 years years ago at the WFC. They played a few times after that in Camden but I refused to go cause it was Camden, LOL. I would see them at the Linc or Citizens Bank Park though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    What'd everyone pull for this show?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Mine kinda suck. 202. Expected better. Numbers not great (2008) but my Baltimore tickets were a lot better. Ah well. I’m there and will be a blast 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,231
    Mine kinda suck. 202. Expected better. Numbers not great (2008) but my Baltimore tickets were a lot better. Ah well. I’m there and will be a blast 

also in 202 and happy to have tix.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,799
    Thought I had pit but misread the "tell"
    I'm good with it.  Anyplace under the roof is good either me.
    Hope nobody behind me pukes all over.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Thought I had pit but misread the "tell"
    I'm good with it.  Anyplace under the roof is good either me.
    Hope nobody behind me pukes all over.
    Haha, if I were on the lawn I'd be preparing for piss hitting my legs.