Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,280
    Delco is also the 2nd densest county in the state, and the only one in the area without a health department - specifically due to the GOP running roughshod over the county for decades. Thank god that is finally changing.
    Largest county in the country without its own health department.  Republicans were in power since the civil war until last election,  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    This is very good. Tough read

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224260/inside-roy-halladay-struggle-pain-addiction

I have been critical of the guy and the canonization of him since he died, glossing over all of this but what a sad story.  Crazy to think that sweating we all talked about was pills. 

Feel horrible for his wife, not blaming anyone, we’ve all seen drugs impact someone in our lives but good fucking god how do you let that guy near that plane after he flew under a fucking bridge with you in the plane knowing he had a severe pill problem.  He literally put both of his kids parents at risk. he should have never touched that thing again. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Tough stuff.  Addiction is a bitch.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224260/inside-roy-halladay-struggle-pain-addiction

I have been critical of the guy and the canonization of him since he died, glossing over all of this but what a sad story.  Crazy to think that sweating we all talked about was pills. 

Feel horrible for his wife, not blaming anyone, we’ve all seen drugs impact someone in our lives but good fucking god how do you let that guy near that plane after he flew under a fucking bridge with you in the plane knowing he had a severe pill problem.  He literally put both of his kids parents at risk. he should have never touched that thing again. 
    It seems it was one of the things in his life at that time that gave him some kind of satisfaction.  I get the questioning of her but I imagine she didn’t know what else to do. Just hard to hear his struggles now. Opioids are scary stuff. 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    If anything the story above should tell you all you need to know about addiction. If the next time you hear someone say addiction isn't a disease, but instead a choice - punch them in the face.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

It seems it was one of the things in his life at that time that gave him some kind of satisfaction.  I get the questioning of her but I imagine she didn’t know what else to do. Just hard to hear his struggles now. Opioids are scary stuff. 
    Fair enough. Just my gut reaction coming out of reading it. Just seems like everyone seemed to know he was reckless with that plane and didn't do anything about it, but I hear you.  Very sad stuff. Indeed they are.
  • Options
    Other notes:
    Jesus - ballooned to 300 lbs.

And the player that confronted him was Utley right? Yeah, definitely Utley.

Why don't they go into detail about the line of how they bought a house in FL instead of CO because he was ashamed to show his face?
  • Options
    Other notes:
    Jesus - ballooned to 300 lbs.

And the player that confronted him was Utley right? Yeah, definitely Utley.

Why don't they go into detail about the line of how they bought a house in FL instead of CO because he was ashamed to show his face?
    Yeah, that.  Big guy in general, but yeah.

That and how his sister seems to have issues with how his dad pushed him.  Putting chalk on weights seems excessive for a kid.

Sad stuff.
  • Options
    It's not clear because I would think it was after he was sent down to A ball, but then it says it's around 2003 when he was killing it.

ANYWAY, how's everyone hanging in there? I'm thinking about cutting my hair, a very wise choice.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,646
    Just read that piece, cliffy. fucking opiods.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Just read that piece, cliffy. fucking opiods.
    They're the fucking devil
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,646
    frank sampedro, rocking with crazy horse, in his iggles t-shirt.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    C'mooooon Rizzo statue. What they need to do is attach a truck to those ropes.
  • Options
    This is sad. What fucking scumbags 
  • Options
    Fucked up that the first thing that got cleaned yesterday was that fucking statue. Kenney's been shit since the start of the pandemic, but silver lining is this POS statue is coming down by the end of the month (per his words). Honestly, not sure why the hell it can't happen yesterday.
  • Options
    I mean, the statue stuff yesterday morning as as tone deaf as it can possibly get, but that was a straight up disaster yesterday and disgusting. Going from fucking sneaker store to sneaker store.

Oh and fun that they ended at the gun range two blocks from me trying to shoot the door down.
  • Options
    Yeah I mean looting is gonna happen during a riot, and of course it's a shame. And itt's a shame since you can't identify or appropriately say who "should" be and "shouldn't" be. Also funny how much the excessive force by the police was turned up once this shit moved to the poorer neighborhoods. Territory that comes with all this. So, on the whole, what I'm saying is fuck the p-o-l-i-c-e.

And thank god for those dipshits "protecting" the Target.
  • Options
    Yeah I mean looting is gonna happen during a riot, and of course it's a shame. And itt's a shame since you can't identify or appropriately say who "should" be and "shouldn't" be. Also funny how much the excessive force by the police was turned up once this shit moved to the poorer neighborhoods. Territory that comes with all this. So, on the whole, what I'm saying is fuck the p-o-l-i-c-e.

And thank god for those dipshits "protecting" the Target.
    the problem with saying fuck all of the police because some are assholes and murderers is that is the exact attitude the police have towards black males just in reverse.  and it's why still all these years later we are still dealing with this shit.  

it's a shame that the looters don''t care that their actions take the story away from a murder in Minneapolis.  at least our President hasn't come off as an asshole during this...oh wait of course he has.  
  • Options
    Reverse racism isn't a thing. Also, full stop - fuck cops. Be better, which won't happen. Somehow this is the people saying, "fuck the police" who are killing people by using excessive force and abusing power. Nah, that's alright, fuck cops. We'd do just fine by de-funding police and putting that money into other municipal services, the arts, education, etc etc. Once again - fuck the cops, we can do without them just fine.

We're dealing with this shit all these years because racism is systemic. It's the very system that's broken, time for it to get thrown out the fucking window.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Oh, and anywhere the police relented and basically said, "we see you, we hear you, let's talk", is where this shit has been minimized. Militarizing the police force is complete and utter garbage.

The mayor and commissioner have been complete disappointments during all of this.
  • Options
    Oh, and anywhere the police relented and basically said, "we see you, we hear you, let's talk", is where this shit has been minimized. Militarizing the police force is complete and utter garbage.

The mayor and commissioner have been complete disappointments during all of this.
    i would agree with this.  
  • Options
    I think the PPD's contract is up next year. If I'm the city I'm telling them at least half the force is required to live in the city- specifically within the district they live, give them bonus pay if need be; reduce their budget by at least 30%; do way with policing via vehicle.Start there and tell their union if you don't like it move the fuck up to Souderton /Jenkintown or some shit and out of the North East altogether where they live as far away from the city center as the possibly fucking can. They should have zero leverage in the next collective bargaining.
  • Options
    I think the PPD's contract is up next year. If I'm the city I'm telling them at least half the force is required to live in the city- specifically within the district they live, give them bonus pay if need be; reduce their budget by at least 30%; do way with policing via vehicle.Start there and tell their union if you don't like it move the fuck up to Souderton /Jenkintown or some shit and out of the North East altogether where they live as far away from the city center as the possibly fucking can. They should have zero leverage in the next collective bargaining.
    the FOP has way too much power. every time i see that McNesby I have the urge to hit him in the face. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,451

Wait until the audio of Trump's talk with the governors this morning gets released...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    the FOP has way too much power. every time i see that McNesby I have the urge to hit him in the face. 
    What's funny is these fucking dunces don't realize they'd gain more power if they lived in the city and their vote counted.
  • Options

Wait until the audio of Trump's talk with the governors this morning gets released...
    I'm sure I can guess as to what Dipshit had said.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

"Hashtag 2 please."

He is brain dead. Was running the conference call and meant to tell them push 'pound 2' if they had a question. Instead he confused the phone with fucking twitter. 

And of course all the horrific other stuff. But, still, glimpses like this give you insight on the intellect of the most powerful man in the world. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

"Hashtag 2 please."

He is brain dead. Was running the conference call and meant to tell them push 'pound 2' if they had a question. Instead he confused the phone with fucking twitter. 

And of course all the horrific other stuff. But, still, glimpses like this give you insight on the intellect of the most powerful man in the world. 
    And also just declared war on the people he's suppose to represent. Hell of a year so far, still with 6 months to go.
  • Options

"Hashtag 2 please."

And also just declared war on the people he's suppose to represent. Hell of a year so far, still with 6 months to go.
    At least comcast is showing us '08 Phillies playoff reruns instead of a May 2017 game....
    chinese-happy.jpg