PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Except Bryce is much better
    not by much. If you look at the numbers they are kinda similar. harper's  might be slightly better, but Werth was putting up some pretty big numbers of his own in the last few years as a Phillie
    Yeah they're not close. Werth had a good stretch in there, but you're getting a former MVP six years younger than when Werth signed his deal that hasn't even hit his peak age yet. Only thing(s) I'd bicker about Harper doesn't do that Werth did in his prime is steal bags, so I'd like to seem him to do that more. Oh, and Werth was the better fielder (so far).
    I think his defensive issues last year were trying to not get hurt, but assuming this happens, you guys are sure as hell going to like the DH rule eventually.
    I mean he's got the arm that's perfect for right, or at least he did. His problem was the way he plays the ball. But, again, he's not even 27 and that can be improved.

I can live with the DH, Cliff. I'll never like the DH.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Except Bryce is much better
    not by much. If you look at the numbers they are kinda similar. harper's  might be slightly better, but Werth was putting up some pretty big numbers of his own in the last few years as a Phillie
    Yeah they're not close. Werth had a good stretch in there, but you're getting a former MVP six years younger than when Werth signed his deal that hasn't even hit his peak age yet. Only thing(s) I'd bicker about Harper doesn't do that Werth did in his prime is steal bags, so I'd like to seem him to do that more. Oh, and Werth was the better fielder (so far).
    I think his defensive issues last year were trying to not get hurt, but assuming this happens, you guys are sure as hell going to like the DH rule eventually.
    I mean he's got the arm that's perfect for right, or at least he did. His problem was the way he plays the ball. But, again, he's not even 27 and that can be improved.

I can live with the DH, Cliff. I'll never like the DH.
    Yeah, I don't really know about his arm, but I watched like a 6 minute video on how bad he was defensively last year, as in one of the worst in baseball, and everything in the video pointed to just being lazy to not get hurt. He dove 1 time, 1, all year.
    six minute video? That's a long video.

Well if he wants to give that lack of effort in this town....well then...it'll surely be overlooked due to the color of his skin.
    edited February 2019
    six minute video? That's a long video.

Well if he wants to give that lack of effort in this town....well then...it'll surely be overlooked due to the color of his skin.
    haha.  Well there were at least 30 or so routes looked at.

HA.  Well, my point is that I don't think that will be the case and I don't think he is as bad defensively as his numbers last year suggest since I think he just didn't want to go into free agency hurt.
    Right, from what I recall though he's been a negative value player (WAR, runs saved/UZR) in the past from a fielding standpoint. So, yeah, DH and all.

But the guy was a catcher and has a huge arm, and, yeah, I wouldn't want to get hurt either. If his routes are the worst part of his game that can actually be improved upon.
    Yeah, Matt Gelb is great - The Athletic is just killing it.

"If Harper were a free agent next winter, he would still be the youngest player on the market."- Personally, I think they do value Harper higher. That could be bias talking (definitely is), but the guy is much more the marketable player in a sport that is terrible at marketing their talent.
    Matt Gelb is one of the best there is.  Pretty wild career route. Phils, city beat, Athletic. 

That stood out to me too. I would assume they do, but I am pretty confident Manny is going to age better.  The fact that both sides of the ball bring him value is a big bonus to me.  Granted, I think Harper is the much better bat, even if he has been up and down.

Christ, Cliff - why are you looking this up?  Is your daughter sick and you're going down the Google Wormhole of Terror? Does she actually have this? If so, I'm terribly sorry. Now I'm worrying.
    Christ, Cliff - why are you looking this up?  Is your daughter sick and you're going down the Google Wormhole of Terror? Does she actually have this? If so, I'm terribly sorry. Now I'm worrying.
    It happened and it was horrible. Apparently it’s fairly common and nothing to worry about but that doesn’t really help. Basically a quick spike in temperature brings it on because they’re brains have a tough time processing it. 
    Sorry to hear, man. I'm sure that was absolutely terrifying. 

I am not cut out to be a parent, but here we are.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Sucks for you all....I am glad she is OK.
    Our little guy used to have fevers constantly but we did not see this happening.  It was fucked up how hot that little bugger ran for the first two-three years.  Just holding him you would have an immediate sense, he was like a little furnace.
    Night terrors.  Hope you don't have to deal with those, although there is clearly no health concerns, it is more a worry about his brain and what he is processing.  They are fucking trippy and not cool.  He doesn't remember them, at all, but he seems wide awake during.
    Sleep walking...but imagine if you were completely horrified while doing it. 
    I imagine in the old times one might say he was possessed!  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Jesus Christ. This as well. I used to do have these as a kid, too. My parents were horrified. Again, I'm not equipped to actually handle any of this - I've been faking it so far. So when any real shit comes up, or I have to in some ironic shit twist deal with myself, I'm gonna shit my pants.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Nah, the night terrors are more an oddity and to freak the parents out a bit.  No reason to be scared of them, although you would be better off not having to watch them.  :lol:       
    Yeah fellas. Thanks.

it was Fucking terrifying. The look on her face i‘ll never get out of my head but we’re keeping her fever under control and everything seems okay. Apparently there is only a very slight increase in developing epilepsy. Scary nonetheless. We actually handled the situation better than I expected we would, 

Night tremors sound rough. 

Parenting js is hard and scary 

• I'm over Harper. Screw him and hope to God there's a chance at Trout in two years. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Haha, the five stages of grief are starting for people.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Yeah fellas. Thanks.

it was Fucking terrifying. The look on her face i‘ll never get out of my head but we’re keeping her fever under control and everything seems okay. Apparently there is only a very slight increase in developing epilepsy. Scary nonetheless. We actually handled the situation better than I expected we would, 

Good luck with everything.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Yeah fellas. Thanks.

good luck Cliffy.  I'm sure everything will be ok but dealing with infants can be so terrifying.
    Tremendous story and time.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Interesting list.  A number I want to eat at there....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    SIGN
    THIS
    MOTHER
    FUCKER
    RIGHT
    NOW
    DAG
    NAB
    BIT
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Chances they sign Keuchel or kimbrel?  Wouldn't mind Keuchel. Kimbrel, not really.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Chances they sign Keuchel or kimbrel?  Wouldn't mind Keuchel. Kimbrel, not really.
    Keuchel yes. Kimbrel no. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Kimbrel is someone that most people seem to dislike.  Something very Papelbum-esque about him

I really think Kuechel or Gio make a lot of sense.
    Something is brewing.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer