LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    What a game! Very entertanning
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Great way to start a day. Damn good hockey game
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    That was fun
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    great game
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    USA! USA! USA!

Suck it, Ivan! :D

That's what we do ... We show up at the host country's party and pee in the pool.

America, fuck yeah!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Wow. Don't know what was more amazing... Oshie's 4 for 6 or his FU smile prior to touching the puck during all 6 of those attempts.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    And why does whatever the Russian crowd chant sound like "Crosby sucks?"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It was foolish of the Soviets not to use consecutive #13 Wizard enchantments in the shoot out ...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Oshie just wrote himself a giant check for when his contract is up.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

Oshie just wrote himself a giant check for when his contract is up.

that was quite the display, will always be referenced with USA shoot-outs for all time, much like Toews is with Canada due to that World Junior tourny
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Ah! I totally missed the game!

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

USA! USA! USA!

Suck it, Ivan! :D

That's what we do ... We show up at the host country's party and pee in the pool.

America, fuck yeah!

so what happened in Vancouver ...

;)
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,908
    Still on high from this morning's game. Woke up at 4:30am here in CA to watch it live. As an LA Kings homer, I have to say Quick got extremely lucky with that disallowed goal because that net wasn't off by much. While I don't like the rule of being able to repeat guys, Oshie was huge in the shootout. He and Quick answered the bell when needed most.
  • Options
    kasedoug said:

Still on high from this morning's game. Woke up at 4:30am here in CA to watch it live. As an LA Kings homer, I have to say Quick got extremely lucky with that disallowed goal because that net wasn't off by much. While I don't like the rule of being able to repeat guys, Oshie was huge in the shootout. He and Quick answered the bell when needed most.

The shootout is the most ridiculous way to end a team sport game. I never liked the shootout, never will. With the amount of talent on the ice playing 4 on 4, highly doubt that game would have went ten minutes. Unfortunately these preliminary games don't amount to much except the pool winners avoid an extra game, Canada played the extra game in Vancouver.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    lukin2006 said:

kasedoug said:

The shootout is the most ridiculous way to end a team sport game. I never liked the shootout, never will. With the amount of talent on the ice playing 4 on 4, highly doubt that game would have went ten minutes. Unfortunately these preliminary games don't amount to much except the pool winners avoid an extra game, Canada played the extra game in Vancouver.
    I agree. Looks like if Canada wins in regulation tomorrow will have
    1 Canada
    2 Sweden
    3 USA
    4 Russia
    5 Finland
    6 Switzerland

To me that's a tough draw for Canada and a relatively easy draw for USA. The Swiss will be a tough out but US should win 2-0 if they lean hard on Suter and ride him about 30 minutes. Just can't get frustrated. And Sweden is pretty beat up but they still have second best blue line in tournament.

That's based on USA and Russia winning in regulation which they should be able to do..
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jms said:

lukin2006 said:

kasedoug said:

1 Canada
    2 Sweden
    3 USA
    4 Russia
    5 Finland
    6 Switzerland

To me that's a tough draw for Canada and a relatively easy draw for USA. The Swiss will be a tough out but US should win 2-0 if they lean hard on Suter and ride him about 30 minutes. Just can't get frustrated. And Sweden is pretty beat up but they still have second best blue line in tournament.

That's based on USA and Russia winning in regulation which they should be able to do..
    I really don't get what your saying about "tough draw ... if Canada wins in regulation they advance to the QF, Sweden won their pool and if the US win they win their pool. So I assume you think these will be the the quarterfinal teams? so you'd rather play Russia again? and you think Switzerland is better than Russia? I mean I really don't get your point. I think Switzerland is a good defensive team, not so good offensively. and I know they beat us 8 years ago, but that was 8 years ago. I know you beat Russia today, in a shoot out ... but Russia is a very good team who can score.
    But I am of the belief anybody can win on any given day but I think in a QF game I'll take my chances with Switzerland. But first we must beat Finland and Finland is good.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200
    was at work and missed the US/Russia game :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

was at work and missed the US/Russia game :(

Will be replayed tomorrow. Still worth a watch, in my opinion. I saw it live and will tune into the replay
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,908
    edited February 2014
    lukin2006 said:

While I don't necessarily like the shootout either, I think they have to use it in certain scenarios like regular season NHL games or these round robin tournament formats when you have a schedule of successive games stacked up. The tie is a foreign concept to most of the sports world except soccer and formerly hockey. You want a winner decided and as much as I love the drama of a multiple OT battle, these preliminary games need to end relatively on schedule. Back in the day, it was always a bit awkward coming home from the Forum after a tie. Didn't win, but didn't lose.
    The thing I didn't necessarily like about the Olympic shootout was that you could repeat the same guys (but it worked out for the US in a big way). I think you should at least have to go through your entire lineup. Also, I didn't get why the order flipped once it got to sudden death.
    Looking forward to the rest of the tournament.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,631
    skiing > snowboarding
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,533
    lukin2006 said:

kasedoug said:

I don't like the shootout either, but i don't think they have much of a choice in the prelims.

I do think it should just be OT in the knock-out rounds.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,572
    Can finally watch a Live hockey game today.....although didn't miss much in Canada's first 2 games. Fins will be going down, hope that beast Getzlaf has a great game..he is looking real good out there. Maybe cause he is on the west coast and I don't get to see him tons, but what a hockey player.

Yeah great job by Oshie yesterday...has some great moves. Reminded me of Toews at the World Junior Tourney awhile ago when he spanked the USA in the same fashion ;)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Looked like we fell asleep in the 2nd for a few minutes, but on to Wednesday. Quick should be well rested. Let's keep the train rolling.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

jms said:

lukin2006 said:

kasedoug said:

1 Canada
    2 Sweden
    3 USA
    4 Russia
    5 Finland
    6 Switzerland

I really don't get what your saying about "tough draw ... if Canada wins in regulation they advance to the QF, Sweden won their pool and if the US win they win their pool. So I assume you think these will be the the quarterfinal teams? so you'd rather play Russia again? and you think Switzerland is better than Russia? I mean I really don't get your point. I think Switzerland is a good defensive team, not so good offensively. and I know they beat us 8 years ago, but that was 8 years ago. I know you beat Russia today, in a shoot out ... but Russia is a very good team who can score.
    But I am of the belief anybody can win on any given day but I think in a QF game I'll take my chances with Switzerland. But first we must beat Finland and Finland is good.
    Canada will have Russia and Finland in their half of the bracket while USA should have the Swiss and a depleted Sweden in their half. Canada will have an easier QF but a much more difficult SF. USA should beat the swiss then they get Sweden who is 3 F short right now. I would rather not have to play Canada, Finland or Russia. And USA won't have to play any of those until next t Sunday if they get that far.
  • Options
    Still one more game to go and it could change again for US if it goes to OT but I think the Swiss is as bad as it can get for US in QF. They are good but honestly if they go with Suter's pairing for about 30 min and play smart they should win 2-0 or so.

I'm hoping S Weber puts one through the net today and Canada wins 3-1 vs the Fins.
  • Options
    I don't think there is no brackets ... My understanding is teams are seeded based on points and the tie breaker is goal differential.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

I don't think there is no brackets ... My understanding is teams are seeded based on points and the tie breaker is goal differential.

They are seeded on points and goal differential then teams 1-4 get byes in the bracket. Theyast several Olympics they did not reseed after each round.
  • Options
    I'm not going to worry about who we play in the medal round. After 2 games and part of a third I think we're playing really good hockey.