Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

PJ_Soul said:

Drinking at 7:30 am to watch the US Hockey team is going to be rough. It's every four years, so what the hell...

It looks like the Men's Final will be at 4am on Sunday, Feb 23rd. That is perfect! We can drink all morning (or Saturday night and Sunday morning, depending on your stamina), have a nap, be hungover all Sunday afternoon, and be totally fine for bedtime and Monday morning work time. It's like the Hockey and Booze gods got together and come up with a plan. :-bd <:-P </p>
    So glad I'm 3 hours ahead of you. I can't pull an all nighter anymore image

Plus, Canada won't be in the Gold medal game anyway image
    You have to look at my edit that I did while you were posting this. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Somewhere on here someone wasn't crazy about Luongo ... I'm glad he's our choice of all the Canucks players ... The last ones I want are the Sedins. We can use Norwayc, Austria and Finland game to come to a conclusion on who starts the medal round. Stamkos will be playing in Tampa's last game before the Olympics which is good news. The great thing is if one of the goalies suck they can sit in the stands ... Positional players are of more concern to me and I think we good a great group, 4 out of the top 6 point getters are Canadian.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Somewhere on here someone wasn't crazy about Luongo ... I'm glad he's our choice of all the Canucks players ... The last ones I want are the Sedins. We can use Norwayc, Austria and Finland game to come to a conclusion on who starts the medal round. Stamkos will be playing in Tampa's last game before the Olympics which is good news. The great thing is if one of the goalies suck they can sit in the stands ... Positional players are of more concern to me and I think we good a great group, 4 out of the top 6 point getters are Canadian.

I said that Luongo gets psyched out too easily, so he's hit and miss. He makes me nervous. The Sedins would be great to have on the Canadian team, but unfortunately, they are playing for Sweden! That sucks for us! Especially since they know Luongo and how he plays so well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No Stamkos ... The Lighting have said he will not participate in the Olympics. Hoping for Giroux myself as his replacement.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    lukin2006 said:

No Stamkos ... The Lighting have said he will not participate in the Olympics. Hoping for Giroux myself as his replacement.

I would take St Louis. He should have been on the team anyway.

• Options
    V
    jms said:

lukin2006 said:

A case for St. Louis can definitely be made, I just prefer youth over a 38 years old in a short tournament. But ultimately either way team Canada goes they'll be second guessed. Might be a good call on Stamkos though if his timing is off, conditioning not up to par or just plain rust he could have been more a hinder acne than benefit. Too bad for him though, could be the last Olympics for the NHL, they want to start the World Cup of Hockey up again in lieu of the Olympics from what I've read.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

V

jms said:

lukin2006 said:

A case for St. Louis can definitely be made, I just prefer youth over a 38 years old in a short tournament. But ultimately either way team Canada goes they'll be second guessed. Might be a good call on Stamkos though if his timing is off, conditioning not up to par or just plain rust he could have been more a hinder acne than benefit. Too bad for him though, could be the last Olympics for the NHL, they want to start the World Cup of Hockey up again in lieu of the Olympics from what I've read.

St. Louis it is. Announced this morning.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Deadspin is capturing all of the hilariousness

Anyone see the report on the hacking on the NBC news? Pretty wild. Got into brand new computer and phones within minutes.

That said, there has to be A LOT of people already there and we have only heard so much.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,255
    i'll watch them
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

i'll watch them

I know I'll watch them, but I'm not gonna like it. [-(

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    fail #1

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    norm said:

fail #1

Hilarious.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Putin's girlfriend ended up next to the cauldren and handed the torch to Vladislav Tretiak and Irina Rodnina who together lit it. Smart move by the show producers. Not make it too obvious, but a good enough tip of the cap to not have to worry about "accidently slipping" off a 12th story balcony later in the evening.
  • Options
    Besides the snowflake incident, sounds like it was pretty awesome.

And the snowflake not working is a distant second to the greatest "Work goddamn it! Please just fucking work!!!" moments in Olympic ceremony history ....

:D

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    So what's the deal, is NBC gonna be showing the events live or are they all tape delayed?
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Did The USA win anything yet?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Russian TV shows doctored video of Olympic rings

February 7, 2014 04:27 PM EST |

SOCHI, Russia (AP) — Smoke and mirrors? Russian state television aired footage Friday of five floating snowflakes turning into Olympic rings and bursting into pyrotechnics at the Sochi Games opening ceremony. Problem is, that didn't happen.

The opening ceremony at the Winter Games hit a bump when only four of the five rings materialized in a wintry opening scene. The five were supposed to join together and erupt in fireworks. But one snowflake never expanded, and the pyrotechnics never went off.

But everything worked fine for viewers of the Rossiya 1, the Russian host broadcaster.

As the fifth ring got stuck, Rossiya cut away to rehearsal footage. All five rings came together, and the fireworks exploded on cue.

Producers confirmed the switch, saying it was important to preserve the imagery of the Olympic symbols.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Besides the snowflake incident, sounds like it was pretty awesome.

And the snowflake not working is a distant second to the greatest "Work goddamn it! Please just fucking work!!!" moments in Olympic ceremony history ....

:D

Lol! I was gonna say... that torch problem in Vancouver was way worse! But also way more hilarious. When Russia fucks up it's more depressing somehow, lol!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    dankind said:
    What the hell happen to his eye? Did he take a shower?>LOL
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    edited February 2014
    Here's what happen:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/olympics/costas-freaks-viewers-appearing-sochi-show-eye-infection-article-1.1605590

Bob Costas freaks out Olympics viewers by appearing on debut Sochi show with eye infection
    The NBC sportscaster offset his red, swollen eye with a pair of glasses when he appeared in the Winter Olympics round-up show Thursday night.

BY LEE MORAN / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2014, 7:57

Bob Costas was seen wearing glasses during the NBC broadcast yesterday as a result of pink eye.
    NBC

Bob Costas wears glasses during the NBC broadcast Thursday, having woken up with pink eye that morning.
    Bob Costas' freakishly pink eye has joined brown tap water and shower spy cameras as being the talk of Sochi 2014.

The NBC host threw his own #Sochiproblems into the mix Thursday night during the network's first prime time Winter Olympics round-up show.

Viewers were at first shocked to see the usually suave sportscaster looking more like Mr. Potato head with his pair of Harry Potter-style spectacles.

RELATED: SPYING ON TOURISTS IN THE SHOWER? LATEST RUSSIAN OLYMPIC BLUNDER

They were then left terrified as the camera zoomed up close into Costas' face to show his manky eye in all its disgusting glory.

Knowing that the internet would go into overdrive, Costas decided to address the issue on everyone's mind head on.

"Bear with me for a moment as I spare my friends in the press office countless inquiries," he said into the camera.

RELATED: SOCHI OLYMPICS: RUSSIA SPIES ON THE SHOWER

"I have no choice (but) to go all Peabody and Sherman on you for the next couple of nights since I woke up this morning with my left eye swollen shut and just about as red as the old Soviet flag," he added.
    "According to the NBC doctors here, it's some kind of minor infection which should resolve itself by the weekend. If only all my issues would resolve themselves that quickly, but that's another story."
    Costas' eye quickly became a Twitter trending topic, with one wag setting up a parody account almost immediately

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/olympics/costas-freaks-viewers-appearing-sochi-show-eye-infection-article-1.1605590#ixzz2shYCjtIc

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/olympics/costas-freaks-viewers-appearing-sochi-show-eye-infection-article-1.1605590#ixzz2shXewDvH
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    Russia, U.S. have vote-swapping deal to deny Virtue-Moir ice-dance gold, says L’Equipe

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/russia-u-s-have-vote-swapping-deal-to-deny-virtue-moir-ice-dance-gold-says-lequipe

Wouldn't surprise me ...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Russia, U.S. have vote-swapping deal to deny Virtue-Moir ice-dance gold, says L’Equipe

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/russia-u-s-have-vote-swapping-deal-to-deny-virtue-moir-ice-dance-gold-says-lequipe

Wouldn't surprise me ...

Wouldn't surprise me either. Those figure skating judges have gotten up to some shady business over the years. Throw in some nut jobs like Putin and friends, who have political interests in Russia doing well, and it is pretty easy to imagine.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Wouldn't surprise me ...

Wouldn't surprise me either. Those figure skating judges have gotten up to some shady business over the years. Throw in some nut jobs like Putin and friends, who have political interests in Russia doing well, and it is pretty easy to imagine.
    to bad considering I've seen more than 1 analyst comment that Virtue/Moir quite likely are the greatest ice dancers of all time. Wouldn't be the first Canadian ice dancers/figure skaters to get the shaft ... but how pathetic are the americans ice dance team that is quite happily accepting these wins even though deep down you know the Canadians are better. Well at least the Canadians can look themselves in the mirror at night.

• Options
    After watching the ceremony, it is clear that there are a ton of gay people in Russia based on what 80's movies have taught me. It was amazing. No way straight dudes can pull something like that off.
  • Options
    That ceremony made a Radiohead concert look like a kindergarten pan flute recital.
  • Options
    Ed Snider: Giroux’s Olympic Snub A ‘Farce’

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/02/07/ed-snider-girouxs-olympic-snub-a-farce/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Flyers captain Claude Giroux has been snubbed from the Canadian Olympic hockey team, twice. Ed Snider isn’t happy about it.
    “It’s a farce. He’s [Claude Giroux] one of the best players in the league. It’s ridiculous,” Snider said after Thursday night’s Flyers win over the Avalanche. “He’s better than the guys on that team [Canada]. Anybody that thinks that Claude Giroux doesn’t belong on the Canadian team, they don’t know anything about hockey as far as I’m concerned. But you know, it’s politics to a certain degree. It’s, you know, he [Steve Yzerman] had to pick his own guy and his own guy is good, but Claude is better. “
    Giroux was not initially selected to the team, but when Lightning Steven Stamkos dropped off the team due to injury, most assumed it would Giroux to take his place.
    It wasn’t to be, as Lightning forward Martin St. Louis was named as Stamkos’ replacement.

:(( :((

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,581
    Canadians having a great start...1 of each colour so far. Congrats McMorris & Dufour-Lapointe sisters ^:)^ =D>
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Jason P said:

After watching the ceremony, it is clear that there are a ton of gay people in Russia based on what 80's movies have taught me. It was amazing. No way straight dudes can pull something like that off.

:) The ballet was very beautiful though!