Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Jason P said:

Can you make bets on what will go wrong at the Sochi Olympics? I'm putting the potential body count at +/- 26.5

over.

I'm going to have to adjust the line ... I read an article where locals are making claims that there are mass graves of construction workers that died on the job and that there were 25 deaths in 2012 alone. Considering there are reports of slave labor being used as well, I'm guessing those deaths go undocumented.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    That's shocking but am not surprised
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    PJ_Soul said:

FrankieG said:

Yeah the threat for terrorism is there.. But I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony and the events.
    I will be watching any event that is on pretty much, but mostly looking forward to:
    Hockey
    Curling
    Ski events
    Snowboard events

I am a bit of an Olympics addict when it's on...... this time around I'm not so sure just because of the obvious problems in who the IOC chose to host. It's crossed my mind to boycott these Olympics due to the human rights problems in the host nation..... then again, I said the same thing when they were in China, and I watched, and I will probably watch these ones too. So I'm just a big hypocrite, obviously.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much gonna be glued to my tv for those 2 weeks... haha I'm not really informed about the human rights issue, but I should really get informed..
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    The nine hour time difference and tape delay is going to suck when trying to avoid seeing outcomes before the tape delay plays out.
  • Options
    Good grief! It looks like the US won a bad sweater contest! Is this really the image we want to project to the Soviets???

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I heard the pants have an American flag poop flap on the back.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I suggest this alternate before it's too late ...

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Six hundred bucks a pop, courtesy of Ralph Lauren.

Much to be said for simplicity, no?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Jason P said:

Good grief! It looks like the US won a bad sweater contest! Is this really the image we want to project to the Soviets???

LOL!! Omg, that is really bad and hilarious looking! Is that real???

Here is Canada's.... a little too on the nose maybe, but at least not embarrassing:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    At least there is little chance that US athletes will stand out in a crowd to any potential terrorists in those uniforms …
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Six hundred bucks a pop, courtesy of Ralph Lauren.

Much to be said for simplicity, no?

Holy crap they sold out! I can see if they were $90 and you were looking for a great bad sweater for next holiday season, but sold out at $600? That's just how crappy good they are ...

By the way, I'm punching anyone in the face that I meet wearing one.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I'll confess....I don't think they're that bad
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Can't wait for the Hockey!!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    fucking around in russia as a terrorist is pretty fucking stupid to say the least. but as we well know terrorists are fucking mentally fucked in the head.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Jason P said:

Something tells me my 1st cousin does not like these.
    They look knitted, are they knitted ?
    It's pretty eye catching anyway no terrorist can hide around them.

;))
  • Options

I'll confess....I don't think they're that bad

Hahaha. ;)
    How many American flags does that sweater have on it? Four? And I can't even see the back.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

If that was a US speed skater, they should have embroidered that image on the ceremony sweater
    :D
  • Options
    I feel as if anyone spent 3 months training on the luge, they could be in the Olympics

• Options
    Jason P said:

I feel as if anyone spent 3 months training on the luge, they could be in the Olympics

Not three months, but there are definitely some sports that take a lifetime of training to gwt to the Olympics, and some sports that people can kind of just dump into and master in a short time if they have the natural ability. Some of those are rowing, swimming, luge, skeleton, cross country skiing, long distance running, bobsleigh.... plenty of others. Then there are the sports that you practically have to bred for and start as a child, like hockey and figure skating.
    .... Either way, your chances of making the Olympics go up exponetially if you have lots of money and free time..... they love to make it look like the Olympics are crammed with athletes from humble roots and shit, but in reality it is mostly a bunch of elitist rich kids who think their self-obsession is somehow good for the world.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Not three months, but there are definitely some sports that take a lifetime of training to gwt to the Olympics, and some sports that people can kind of just dump into and master in a short time if they have the natural ability. Some of those are rowing, swimming, luge, skeleton, cross country skiing, long distance running, bobsleigh.... plenty of others. Then there are the sports that you practically have to bred for and start as a child, like hockey and figure skating.
    .... Either way, your chances of making the Olympics go up exponetially if you have lots of money and free time..... they love to make it look like the Olympics are crammed with athletes from humble roots and shit, but in reality it is mostly a bunch of elitist rich kids who think their self-obsession is somehow good for the world.
    I feel if my hometown had a curling ... club? ... We would be represent the US this year.

Speaking of curling ... What has become of my favorite Canadian since Michael J Fox? ....

• Options
    She's hot!

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Team Canada Hockey Jerseys's suck big time ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

my favorite jersey ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

This was not too bad either ...

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    lukin2006 said:

my favorite jersey ...

Mine too!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Sidney Crosby = A-Rod
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Sidney Crosby = A-Rod

How do you figure?