lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Sidney Crosby = A-Rod

How do you figure?
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Sidney Crosby = A-Rod

How do you figure?
    Must have been drunk when I posted that ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Ryan Miller's Olympic Mask

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    lukin2006 said:

Ryan Miller's Olympic Mask

Wow. That is awesome. Can't wait for some olympic hockey
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    read a headline that said sochi olympics cost more than all the other ones combined ... brutal
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Well, if the Russian toilets are like American toilets, maybe the second one is there just in case the first one becomes clogged. Athletes eat tons of fiber after all...

I hope nobody will get harmed in these Olympics.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    The attached link is to a facinating interactive map that documents the corruption in Sochi. The contract to build a new road to the mountain events cost almost as much as the entire Vancouver Olympics ... and get this ... it was awarded to a childhood friend of Putin. What are the odds of that happening???

sochi.fbk.info/en/place/19/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

The Nordsky curler's:

Wowee.
    @-)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The attached link is to a facinating interactive map that documents the corruption in Sochi. The contract to build a new road to the mountain events cost almost as much as the entire Vancouver Olympics ... and get this ... it was awarded to a childhood friend of Putin. What are the odds of that happening???

sochi.fbk.info/en/place/19/

Is anyone surprised? I think the most scandalous thing is how ths IOC is trying to pretend shit's okay, and like somehow Putin runs a legitimate government.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Jason P said:

Good grief! It looks like the US won a bad sweater contest! Is this really the image we want to project to the Soviets???

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited January 2014
    NHL will reevaluate sending players to Sochi if issues arise

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/2878310-nhl-will-reevaluate-sending-players-to-sochi-if-issues-arise

The NHL will reevaluate sending its players to the Sochi Olympics next month if something "significant" happens before Feb. 9.
    NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says in an email to The Associated Press that he doesn't expect it will be become necessary to keep NHL players home because of the steps taken by the Sochi Organizing Committee, the Russian government and the International Olympic Committee. But he says the league will re-assess if it appears to be "an unreasonably dangerous situation" in Russia.
    Russian security has been looking for three potential female suicide bombers, one of whom is believed to be in Sochi. The country has assembled what is believed to be the biggest security operation ever for an Olympics with more than 50,000 police and soldiers.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Could the NHL really stop them from coming? I really hope nothing happens. Putin really seems to have security efforts into 6th gear but it is a country known for corruption and they are located next to hornets nest of crazy people who don't seem to have any issues with strapping explosives to themselves.
  • Options
    Sounds like a really nice vacation for people to take with their families... Going to a lovely police state under threat of terrorism. Let's go kids! It'll be fun!
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    Jason P said:

Could the NHL really stop them from coming? I really hope nothing happens. Putin really seems to have security efforts into 6th gear but it is a country known for corruption and they are located next to hornets nest of crazy people who don't seem to have any issues with strapping explosives to themselves.

What happened?! I didn't hear about this.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Jason P said:

(me too)

But We can hope all we want, sadly something many just happen, and Russia should shoulder quite a bit of the blame themselves, for all the destruction is has caused in Chechnya and human rights violations, and the IOC should also shoulder blame for having the games in Russia, and of course blame falls on anyone who takes the life of an innocent person.

Russia's often brutal campaigns in that area breeds the same terrorism its trying to stop.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18188085

crimesofwar.org/a-z-guide/chechnya/

(CBC Documentary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFYYckhN5w

(and of course lets not forget all the oil that's involved)

Having said all that, I'm super excited about the Hockey, (as I always am), GO CANADA!
  • Options
    Idris said:

(me too)

But We can hope all we want, sadly something many just happen, and Russia should shoulder quite a bit of the blame themselves, for all the destruction is has caused in Chechnya and human rights violations, and the IOC should also shoulder blame for having the games in Russia, and of course blame falls on anyone who takes the life of an innocent person.

Russia's often brutal campaigns in that area breeds the same terrorism its trying to stop.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18188085

crimesofwar.org/a-z-guide/chechnya/

(CBC Documentary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFYYckhN5w

(and of course lets not forget all the oil that's involved)

Having said all that, I'm super excited about the Hockey, (as I always am), GO CANADA!

dude the olympics is a huge fraud ... how rich people entertain themselves while getting more rich ...

if you want proof of how shallow the olympic ideal really is ... just look at the IOC stance on the anti-gay legislation ... crickets ... what a joke ...
  • Options
    The IOC may be a fraud but the competition is awesome.
  • Options
    Yep, I know Polaris.
    -
    I Tend to (as Jason P mentioned) enjoy the awesome competition, but perhaps I should be paying more attention to the negatives.

(I'll check out this anti gay-legislation you speak of)

• Options
    The same could be said about FIFA in regards to overall fraudness. And Formula One. And the NFL. And so on and so on.
  • Options
    oh yeah ... don't get me wrong ... i will watch ... and i will cheer ... but fuck the IOC ... i was offered the opportunity to carry the torch in the cross canada portion of the relay for Vancouver 2010 (ironically while standing atop Whistler mtn) but said no ... bunch of crooks ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

oh yeah ... don't get me wrong ... i will watch ...

Good. I want you to be watching when USA hockey exacts revenge upon Canada.
  • Options
    Shit! I just saw that the Detroit Red Wings are once again running team Canada. ~X(
  • Options
    Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

Keep dreamin'
  • Options
    Idris said:

Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

Keep dreamin'
    Just remember that we tied you last time. On your turf. And playing against superior coaching and management.
  • Options
    Now a heroin kingpin has been credited as being responsible for Sochi winning the IOC bid ....

gma.yahoo.com/alleged-heroin-kingpin-helped-russia-win-olympics-sochi-141834826--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

I would like to thank the former Soviet Union for validating any stereotypes I have held
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Idris said:

Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

Keep dreamin'
    Just remember that we tied you last time. On your turf. And playing against superior coaching and management.
    Ya ya ya, all that matters is the Gold, (the US did put in a good showing, had me kinda...kinda on edge )
    -

Have you seen the Team USA Bobsled? It's designed and built(?) by BMW. Perhaps not really fair for many other teams that the Americans have it. But it's just the way it is,

World Debut: BMW's New Bobsled For Olympic Team USA

The U.S. team paired up with BMW to boost its chances at the 2014 Winter Games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crwtqxLi8T4

(Well Italy is using help from Ferrari and the UK has help from McLaren)

and of course Audi is in the Mix

and all this is really really really unfair for the Jamaican Bobsled team

huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/24/jamaican-bobsled-team_n_4645504.html

Maybe all teams should have the same equipment and access to the same standard of training facilities?
  • Options
    Mayor Rob Ford approves of the jamaican bobsled :D
  • Options
    Isn't BMW committing treason?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Now a heroin kingpin has been credited as being responsible for Sochi winning the IOC bid ....

gma.yahoo.com/alleged-heroin-kingpin-helped-russia-win-olympics-sochi-141834826--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

I would like to thank the former Soviet Union for validating any stereotypes I have held

interesting bit of news.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

i don't like either of our chances on the big ice surface ...

edit: and we smoked you on your home ice and the only reason vancouver was close was because we had luongo in net ...