Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    Jason P said:

Well, no one died (officially, of course)! Congrats, Russia! Sure, everyonce in a while a group of young women would get beaten in the streets with horse whips by Russian security forces, but overall not too shabby by Soviet standards.

Yikes.
    I wasn't too impressed by how so much wasn't completed when it came to hotels and restaurants, etc. They managed to finish the sports venues, but all the other shit was pretty fucked up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,785
    rival. said:

since we are on stanley cup talk, serious question for our canadian friends. i am going to word this wrong, so i apologize if it isn't asked properly, but do most canadians have loyalties to canadian players over canadian teams? i remember canadians getting really behind crosby to win the cup in 2009 on the sole reason that he was canadian and not because they like the penguins. of course you have rivarlies amongst the canadian teams so you do pick your loyalty there, but if it comes down to your rival team or your team not playing in the finals it seems most canadians will just root for "their guys."

I will always default to whichever Canadian team is left if my Habs get bounced, except for the leafs - never the Leafs. After that it goes to the team I like for whatever reason nostalgia etc. after that it kinda defaults to the team playing a team I want to see lose. The only time I have followed a player was when 33 left the Habs, this put the Avalanche in the #2 spot for a while cause Roy is the man.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    PJ_Soul said:

I wasn't too impressed by how so much wasn't completed when it came to hotels and restaurants, etc. They managed to finish the sports venues, but all the other shit was pretty fucked up.

a coworker of mine spent about eight days in sochi attending a couple of the events and just got back into the office today. she said everything was great with her accommodations and speaking to many people around bars/restaurants said the same. almost seems like the media just tore into that story and the russian contractors really hauled ass the 5-7 days leading up to the opening ceremonies :-O
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rival. said:

PJ_Soul said:

a coworker of mine spent about eight days in sochi attending a couple of the events and just got back into the office today. she said everything was great with her accommodations and speaking to many people around bars/restaurants said the same. almost seems like the media just tore into that story and the russian contractors really hauled ass the 5-7 days leading up to the opening ceremonies :-O
    I'm sure things were just fine for plenty of people.... but things were not just fine for a lot people. At least several thousand people got a raw deal. That is WAAAAAAY too many! The number should be pretty much zero! In my books, that's fucking up big time! Oh, and having 25 people DIE in construction, and spending $53 BILLION on it - more than what has been spent on all other past Winter Olympics COMBINED - is a pretty huge fuck up as well! I remember people in Vancouver throwing a fit when the cost of the 2010 games went over $2 Billion! I think congratulating Russia seems a bit misguided! Really, these games were an absolute travesty!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It was your typical western media. I have already heard the medis wondering why they'd put the Winter Olympics so close,to North Korea ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rival. said:

since we are on stanley cup talk, serious question for our canadian friends. i am going to word this wrong, so i apologize if it isn't asked properly, but do most canadians have loyalties to canadian players over canadian teams? i remember canadians getting really behind crosby to win the cup in 2009 on the sole reason that he was canadian and not because they like the penguins. of course you have rivarlies amongst the canadian teams so you do pick your loyalty there, but if it comes down to your rival team or your team not playing in the finals it seems most canadians will just root for "their guys."

I have no real loyalty to a team just because they are based out of Canada. I'm an Albertain and have always admittedly bandwagon jumped between the Flamers and Oilers.

When the Canucks played the Bruins in the finals I was 100% behind Boston. Partly because of the great Canadians on that team and partly because I hated the Canucks. So ya, I guess I do usually end up rooting for "my guys".

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

It was your typical western media. I have already heard the medis wondering why they'd put the Winter Olympics so close,to North Korea ...

Well that's ridiculous.
    But what was your typical western media? Most of the reports about incomplete living quarters and roads and missing manhole covers and brown water and shit like that I was saw was being reported by private citizens and athletes. Yeah, the media covered it, but photos and people actually there witnessing it and talking about it shows me that it's reality, not media lies.
  • Options
    dignin said:

rival. said:

I have no real loyalty to a team just because they are based out of Canada. I'm an Albertain and have always admittedly bandwagon jumped between the Flamers and Oilers.

When the Canucks played the Bruins in the finals I was 100% behind Boston. Partly because of the great Canadians on that team and partly because I hated the Canucks. So ya, I guess I do usually end up rooting for "my guys".

What did the Canucks ever do to you?? :(

;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)
    Haha. It's an Albertain thing I guess. Most of us seem to really dislike the Canucks, some of their fans have a bad swagger (for lack of a better word).

I have a lot of good friends from Alberta that now live in Vancouver that hated hockey....until they became Canucks fans out there. They don't know hockey at all but will tell you all about how great the Canucks are....in the most obnoxious way possible. They have been quite quiet as of late though.

That's not all the fans though, they have good fans too. But the rotten apples spoiled the batch for the rest of us here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)
    Haha. It's an Albertain thing I guess. Most of us seem to really dislike the Canucks, some of their fans have a bad swagger (for lack of a better word).

I have a lot of good friends from Alberta that now live in Vancouver that hated hockey....until they became Canucks fans out there. They don't know hockey at all but will tell you all about how great the Canucks are....in the most obnoxious way possible. They have been quite quiet as of late though.

That's not all the fans though, they have good fans too. But the rotten apples spoiled the batch for the rest of us here.
    Hate the obnoxious Albertan Canucks fans then, not the BC fans or the team! image
    Except for the fucking asshole rioters who are a problem here. Not that they're fans. Hate them too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)

Hate the obnoxious Albertan Canucks fans then, not the BC fans or the team! image
    Except for the fucking asshole rioters who are a problem here. Not that they're fans. Hate them too.
    Ha! I will try and turn the hate down. I think the humble pie they ate in the finals and their last few early exits help.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)

Most (not all) Canuck fans are at least slightly obnoxious if not leaning towards totally so it gets hard to cheer for the team - although they definitely rate over Edmonton and Calgary ;)

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)

Most (not all) Canuck fans are at least slightly obnoxious if not leaning towards totally so it gets hard to cheer for the team - although they definitely rate over Edmonton and Calgary ;)
    Most people I know are Canucks fans and most of them aren't obnoxious at all.... Leafs fans are though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)

Most people I know are Canucks fans and most of them aren't obnoxious at all.... Leafs fans are though.
    Most people I know are Canucks fans as well that is where my interpretation comes from and mostly the obnoxious just relates to the Canucks not them as individuals. You are right about leaf fans though...would only cheer for them if they were playing Boston.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962
    this should be in the next olympics :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Yf7Wq3hRI
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Well that's ridiculous.
    But what was your typical western media? Most of the reports about incomplete living quarters and roads and missing manhole covers and brown water and shit like that I was saw was being reported by private citizens and athletes. Yeah, the media covered it, but photos and people actually there witnessing it and talking about it shows me that it's reality, not media lies.
    After all twitter is a great source of news. I'm sure if I dig I around I can find plenty on new stories about problems at every Olympics ... That's life, they are huge undertaking.

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

;)

Ha! I will try and turn the hate down. I think the humble pie they ate in the finals and their last few early exits help.
    Don't feel bad, I have lived my whole life in BC and hate the canucks.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Well fuck. That sucked. The pace of that game was insane. U.S couldn't get any sustained offensive pressure. It was one chance and the puck was immediately back to the neutral zone. Canada is tough...hard to see them losing to Sweden.

It was hard to see them defeating the US, but anything can happen and they can play good as we've just seen or sloppy

rival. said:

I will always default to whichever Canadian team is left if my Habs get bounced, except for the leafs - never the Leafs. After that it goes to the team I like for whatever reason nostalgia etc. after that it kinda defaults to the team playing a team I want to see lose. The only time I have followed a player was when 33 left the Habs, this put the Avalanche in the #2 spot for a while cause Roy is the man.
    I always assumed Canadian sports fans were much like American fans when it came to team loyalty. Here in Nova Scotia lots and lots of people bandwagoned to Pittsburgh because Crosby is from here, but it's a local thing, and lame.
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    lukin2006 said:

Canada vs USA women's hockey ... Good game so far.

I know I'm being a Bitter Betty when I say this, but the USA women's hockey team was robbed. They've played consistently great hockey, and Canada shows up the last ten minutes and wins with the benefit of questionable penalties? Not OK. Again, I know... Bitter, party of me, my table is now available.

I had no idea the olympians pay so much in taxes to bring their medals home! :-O nbcnews.com/storyline/sochi-olympics/olympic-medal-well-done-now-pay-your-taxes-uncle-sam-n33651

So happy for Jamie Benn! He really got the opportunity to show off what he's made of!
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    drivingrl said:

lukin2006 said:

I know I'm being a Bitter Betty when I say this, but the USA women's hockey team was robbed. They've played consistently great hockey, and Canada shows up the last ten minutes and wins with the benefit of questionable penalties? Not OK. Again, I know... Bitter, party of me, my table is now available.

I had no idea the olympians pay so much in taxes to bring their medals home! :-O nbcnews.com/storyline/sochi-olympics/olympic-medal-well-done-now-pay-your-taxes-uncle-sam-n33651

So happy for Jamie Benn! He really got the opportunity to show off what he's made of!
    honestly - the penalties in OT were not how it should have ended ...

the first Cdn penalty in OT was not a cross-check but it should have been called as there is "no hitting" in womens hockey ... the even up call was weak for sure but the team was warned not to slash the goalie and she did it anyways so you have to know that the ref is going to even things up ... the 3rd penalty clearly showed that she got tripped up with the skates ... ref has to call that penalty 10 out of 10 times ... if knight didn't touch her like she claims - why is she on the ice as well? ... a bit disingenuous of her ...

having said all that tho - it wasn't the refs that allowed canada to tie the game with less than 3.5 mins left ... if anything - that lineswoman getting in the way may helped the US ...
  • Options
    drivingrl said:

lukin2006 said:

Well it is a 60 minute game ... or in the case of the final, 60+ minutes ... bottom line is they choked in those last 5 minutes, had the first power play opportunity of overtime which was extremely brief, they were warned not to slash the goalie earlier in the game, what do they do slash the goalie and lost their power play, then the us player tripped up Wickeheiser on a breakaway, then we scored ... so how were they robbed. This is international hockey, they often do not put their whistles away in overtime ... I would prefer the whistles go away, but I've watched enough international hockey to know its called differently. They essentially choked those last 5 minutes and when you do that you'll often lose the game ... Look at the Canadian Mens Team in the gold medal, that's how you close out a championship, even with a 3-0 lead they kept the pressure up, they didn't sit back.

• Options
    Olympic freestyle skier Maria Komissarova paralyzed from waist down

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2014/02/26/olympic-freestyle-skier-maria-komissarova-paralyzed-from-waist-down

Russian freestyle skier Maria Komissarova says she is paralyzed from the waist down after breaking her back in a training crash at the Sochi Winter Olympics.

The 23-year-old underwent two operations after suffering a fracture and dislocation of the spine and has been rehabilitating at a German clinic.

"I don't know where to start, but I don't want to shrink into myself because everyone has supported me so much," she said on her Instagram page on Wednesday.

"Thank you! It's been 10 days since my spine surgeries. I don't feel the body below the navel. But I'm strong and I know that sometime I will definitely recover feet!"

Komissarova sustained the injury while training at the Olympic skicross venue at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park.

She had a metal implant inserted during a six-hour operation at a hospital specially built for the Games, after which she was flown to Germany for further treatment in Munich.

Before leaving Russia she was visited by Russian President Vladimir Putin, while the country's sports minister Vitaly Mutko had previously said the state would pay for her treatment.

• Options
    wow, kane practically saying the US team didn't even try to win bronze:

"We were playing against a team like Finland, who probably appreciate those bronze medals a little bit more than we could. It would have been nice to bring it home, but it obviously didn't work out that way. But I still thought we had a good tournament and proved ourselves that we're a good hockey country."

http://espn.go.com/oly/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10521932/patrick-kane-says-sochi-olympics-step-back-us-hockey
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rival. said:

"We were playing against a team like Finland, who probably appreciate those bronze medals a little bit more than we could. It would have been nice to bring it home, but it obviously didn't work out that way. But I still thought we had a good tournament and proved ourselves that we're a good hockey country."

http://espn.go.com/oly/winter/2014/icehockey/story/_/id/10521932/patrick-kane-says-sochi-olympics-step-back-us-hockey

it's tough ... same thing happened to the Canadians in Nagano ... lost a heartbreaker on a shootout to the Czechs and then got beat by Finland ...
  • Options
    rival. said:

That has got to be one of the most condescending egotistical remarks ever. Bad show america.

• Options

rival. said:

That has got to be one of the most condescending egotistical remarks ever. Bad show america.
    yep. poor, poor choice of words. does he not realize finland lost a heartbreaker to sweden just like the americans did against the canadians? i'm sure finland wasn't happy settling for the bronze but at least they showed up to play the game.
  • Options
    Or it's easier for Kane to say that than to maybe just admit that American hockey might have only been worthy of a 4th place finish .... afterall the US beat no worthy opponents in the tournament, the big game everybody looked at as a measuring stick was the Russian game, well they beat them in a skills competition and Russia was terrible in this tournament.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It appears that the Ukraine situation soured Putin's mood during the closing ceremony.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If the NHL stops letting players go to the Olympics, Russia is going to be an Olympic powerhouse for the rest of time if the KHL keeps sending them.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

If the NHL stops letting players go to the Olympics, Russia is going to be an Olympic powerhouse for the rest of time if the KHL keeps sending them.

Maybe..... then again, maybe not. The trend these days is for athletes in nations with a glut of really great peers (like South Korea and Speed Skating, Norway and nordic track, etc) to go to other nations and compete for them. They do have to get their citizenship in that country (or dual citizenship), but most countries are still perfectly willing to take them if they're willing to compete in the Olympics for that nation. If the NHL can't compete anymore, I can see a lot of really great Russian hockey players doing this, because if they don't they'll never get a chance to compete at that level simply because there are too many just as good players for a team. I think the same would happen with Canada and the US.