Options

Sochi Olympics

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    smarchee said:

congrats to the Canadian hockey teams.

my respect and awe for Weber and Keith, Doughty, Benn, Duchesne and Vlasic all went up

I would love to see Weber out of Nashville and in a real hockey market
    Agree. I gained a whole lot more respect for the coaching staff, to get this collection of stars to buy into this defensive scheme and then execute it to the letter from almost day 1 .... Impressive.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    lukin2006 said:

Babcock: "Does anybody know who won the scoring race? Does anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal?See ya guys."

that made me laugh
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee said:

lukin2006 said:

Babcock: "Does anybody know who won the scoring race? Does anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal?See ya guys."

that made me laugh
    He had some good quotes over the course of the Olypics.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,658
    Props to Team Canada, they made beating a good SWE team look pretty simple. Ridiculous defenders and Price was great; so much so that their amazing forwards didn't need to do too much to go through the tourney for a 2nd straight gold.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

• Options

Props to Team Canada, they made beating a good SWE team look pretty simple. Ridiculous defenders and Price was great; so much so that their amazing forwards didn't need to do too much to go through the tourney for a 2nd straight gold.

Actually their forwards did a lot to make this team a success, they committed to playing team defense the entire tournament. They contributed equally to the success of this team. This team schooled teams who pride themselves on being great big ice teams and put a knew chapter in the book on how to play on big ice, because unlike those other big ice teams we didn't drop into a defensive shell, a big part of our defensive game was puck possession and a relentless for-check.

We can put to rest this notion that they weren't playing like a team, because they were a team from day 1, just because they were not scoring like the americans means shit ... and how'd that work out for the american.

And hockey on big ice totally sucks, I was 1 who thought it'd be more exciting, but this tournament was not even close to as exciting as Vancouver.

And if it wasn't for team Canada coaches who put a system in place that involved a for-check and scoring chances even games involving Canada had the potential to put people to sleep.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,658
    Wow, get defensive much? I was actually trying to be a 'gracious loser' as an American and fan of the sport to the best team in the world, who won the tourney showcasing the best teams in the world. No backhanded compliments intended whatsoever.
    Anyway, you can diagram out on your chalk board however you like....it was a great win by a great team.

As far as the overall Olympics there was some pretty cool stuff to see. I wish I had watched more of the other sports rather than being so hockey-focused but I do look forward to the next viewing of a bunch of sports I only get the chance to watch every 4 years. These people put a tremendous amount of work into getting there and hats off to them.
    Very glad that the disturbances were relatively minor and there were no big attacks or anything wild like that.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited February 2014
    it's a canadian thing :))

now only if one of your teams can win the Cup!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rival. said:

Look into the rosters of the Cup winning teams. They look pretty Canadian to me.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's too bad Sweden didn't have their best there ...

was totally wrong about the N. Am teams on the bigger ice ... if Canada had any kind of finish around the net - could have been steamrolled this tournament ...
  • Options
    dignin said:

rival. said:

Look into the rosters of the Cup winning teams. They look pretty Canadian to me.

thought i said team? not roster?

• Options
    dignin said:

rival. said:

Exactly ...

• Options
    polaris_x said:

it's too bad Sweden didn't have their best there ...

was totally wrong about the N. Am teams on the bigger ice ... if Canada had any kind of finish around the net - could have been steamrolled this tournament ...

We were missing 1 of best for the tournament and another for the medal round ... I doubt if Sweden iced their best they were beating us. I give full props to Stevie Y and his management staff and Mike Babcock and the coaching staff ...

As for finish around the net, several things I noticed:

-no blind passes to the front of the net that will often deflect in. My guess this was done to prevent odd man breaks the other way
    -when we had odd man rush's we usually took safe play instead of high risk, high reward play.
    -and this team seemed totally comfortable playing with 1 goal leads.
    -if we tried the stretch pass it wasn't often, again to minimize the chance for turnovers

The only game I was a bit uncomfortable with was the Latvian game. I'd never seen a team so comfortable with 1 goal leads.

• Options
    well ... henrik sedin, zetterberg, franzen and backstrom are pretty key players ... for sure, i think canada would have still won ... but pissing your top 3 centremen is huge ...
  • Options

Wow, get defensive much? I was actually trying to be a 'gracious loser' as an American and fan of the sport to the best team in the world, who won the tourney showcasing the best teams in the world. No backhanded compliments intended whatsoever.
    Anyway, you can diagram out on your chalk board however you like....it was a great win by a great team.

As far as the overall Olympics there was some pretty cool stuff to see. I wish I had watched more of the other sports rather than being so hockey-focused but I do look forward to the next viewing of a bunch of sports I only get the chance to watch every 4 years. These people put a tremendous amount of work into getting there and hats off to them.
    Very glad that the disturbances were relatively minor and there were no big attacks or anything wild like that.

Sorry if I sounded defensive, but I am not, just pointing out that the group of were asked to play a system that most never are asked to do on their club teams.

• Options
    oh ... and the thing about backstrom is a joke ... they should have let him play ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

well ... henrik sedin, zetterberg, franzen and backstrom are pretty key players ... for sure, i think canada would have still won ... but pissing your top 3 centremen is huge ...

Zetterberg and Backstrom, I'll give you ... if Franzen is on one of his streaks he'd be useful, but only if he's on a streak, no use for either of the Sedin's ... they would not have have done well in this type of game, playing along the boards being leaned by our big forwards and defense would have just out muscled him. You can make an a strong argument that Stamkos is the second best player in the world and he was the leading goal scorer at his time of injury and Tavarres was in the top 5 in scoring.

• Options
    rival. said:

dignin said:

rival. said:

thought i said team? not roster?

I doubt we here in Canada will see a Canadian team win a cup until the owners of theses teams invest in real good management ... maybe that's why we get so invested in the world junior and olympic championship hockey.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

Zetterberg and Backstrom, I'll give you ... if Franzen is on one of his streaks he'd be useful, but only if he's on a streak, no use for either of the Sedin's ... they would not have have done well in this type of game, playing along the boards being leaned by our big forwards and defense would have just out muscled him. You can make an a strong argument that Stamkos is the second best player in the world and he was the leading goal scorer at his time of injury and Tavarres was in the top 5 in scoring.
    you can't really look at it like that ... duchesne in for tavares ... st louis in for stamkos ... also factoring what kind of game Canada was playing - I really don't think we missed stamkos much ... compare that to whoever replaced zetterberg, henrik and backstrom ... huge drop off ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

oh ... and the thing about backstrom is a joke ... they should have let him play ...

yeah that was ridiculous ... but that the Olympics.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    so we're done with this now right? the olympics are over?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

you can't really look at it like that ... duchesne in for tavares ... st louis in for stamkos ... also factoring what kind of game Canada was playing - I really don't think we missed stamkos much ... compare that to whoever replaced zetterberg, henrik and backstrom ... huge drop off ...
    I would have loved to have Stamkos on a line with Crosby. If you ask me we refined how you play on big ice ... The problem with Sweden and Finland system was it was built to get the lead and then 1 guy for-check and 4 guys back, when we got the lead we kept the pressure on and we also were built that if we happen to fall behind we had the system in place that could come back in games, they didnt.

I agree no other country could replace its top players like we could ... but I think Stamkos and Crosby had the potential to be magical, hopefully we'll find out in 2018.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    edited February 2014
    dignin said:

rival. said:

Yeah really. About 53% of NHL players are Canadian (that number has been going down steadily - only 20 years ago it was 70%!). Every team that has ever won the cup has had a pretty strong Canadian contingent, and that doesn't even count the coaching staff.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    since we are on stanley cup talk, serious question for our canadian friends. i am going to word this wrong, so i apologize if it isn't asked properly, but do most canadians have loyalties to canadian players over canadian teams? i remember canadians getting really behind crosby to win the cup in 2009 on the sole reason that he was canadian and not because they like the penguins. of course you have rivarlies amongst the canadian teams so you do pick your loyalty there, but if it comes down to your rival team or your team not playing in the finals it seems most canadians will just root for "their guys."

• Options
    edited February 2014
    rival. said:

since we are on stanley cup talk, serious question for our canadian friends. i am going to word this wrong, so i apologize if it isn't asked properly, but do most canadians have loyalties to canadian players over canadian teams? i remember canadians getting really behind crosby to win the cup in 2009 on the sole reason that he was canadian and not because they like the penguins. of course you have rivarlies amongst the canadian teams so you do pick your loyalty there, but if it comes down to your rival team or your team not playing in the finals it seems most canadians will just root for "their guys."

I personally don't have any loyalty to either. My loyalty is with my hometown team - The Canucks. But if the hometown team or number one team for a Canadian is out of the running, I'd say that a good majority of Canadians tend to favour another Canadian team. I don't, however. I favour the team that I most enjoy watching that year, or maybe that has the most really amazing players, or maybe has a player that is my personal favorite (eg, before his retirement, whatever team Patrick Roy was on would get my support if the Canucks were out..... too bad what's become of the Avalanche btw). I think it's kind of stupid for Canadians or Americans to root for a team just because they are based in their respective countries specifically because the nationalities of the players are so diverse .... but that's what people often do. Go figure.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    i generally default to other canadian teams if the leafs are out ... that includes the habs and senators ... but after that - it's wide open ... i think the only team i have a hard time cheering for are the flyers, rangers and bruins ... hahaha
  • Options
    that is unless i pick them in my hockey playoff pool ... then it's not a problem ... haha
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

i generally default to other canadian teams if the leafs are out ... that includes the habs and senators ... but after that - it's wide open ... i think the only team i have a hard time cheering for are the flyers, rangers and bruins ... hahaha

Well, there is one good reason to root for your own nation's teams I guess: It's good for the economy.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Russians were doing good then it fizzled ?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Well, no one died (officially, of course)! Congrats, Russia! Sure, everyonce in a while a group of young women would get beaten in the streets with horse whips by Russian security forces, but overall not too shabby by Soviet standards.