Flu shots

post-gazette.com/news/health/2014/01/16/H1N1-flu-striking-young-adults-the-most/stories/201401160198\
http://sacbee.com/2014/01/17/6081098/flu-takes-45-lives-so-far-in-california.html
http://cbsnews.com/news/flu-season-child-death-toll-doubles-cdc/

I know some of you are adamantly opposed to flu shots. I heard it all this past week when I was at a funeral for my brother-in-law who died of H1N1 influenza. He was a middle-aged, and other than high blood pressure, a healthy man. He worked a full-time sales job (lots of hand-shaking) and raised cattle besides. A hard-core cowboy. He didn't smoke. He didn't have a reason to develop Acute Respiratory Distress syndrome, except that he came into contact with a virus that can be deadly, and hits younger people much harder than other flu viruses. he went to the doctor and was given medicine. New Year's eve, he felt worse and went to the ER. He was put on a ventilator, and almost 2 weeks later he died from organ failure.

H1N1 killed 200,000 people worldwide in 2009. And it is rearing its ugly head again this year. I heard this evening from a friend who knew a 38 y.o. man who got sick while I was gone to my b-i-l's funeral, and went to the doctor right away and got medication. He took the meds, and went to bed. And then he never woke up. Two weeks ago, I read about a 37 y.o. and a 41 y.o. healthy women who died, one of whom was pregnant.

The third article above shows a map of flu activity by state. Flu shots are still available. It takes 10-14 days to develop immunity. I just wanted you to know, because I don't want this to happen to any of you or anyone you love.
And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes

Comments

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Sorry to hear that.

As far as the shot it's a crapshoot. Most of the time by the time the shot is available the flu strains have mutated and the shot is useless. We had a pretty lengthy discussion not too long ago on this topic, and I'm not getting into all of that again. My personal choice is that I do not get them.

Again, sorry for your family's loss.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm in the same mindset as unsung. Never had a flu shot and so far, so good. I've also tried to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, and aside from the occasional cold (and flu too), we've been okay.

I'm truly sorry about your brother-in-law.
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2014
    I'll probably get some flack for saying this, but not getting the flu shot is a selfish act. We are social animals, we pick up shit off of other people and they pick it up off of us. They have these vaccines not for our personal welfare, but the welfare of the public at large. Think about it, it's not about ME. It's about the rest of people we interact with every single day. But we live in a country where *me* is the most important person. Fuck everyone else.

I work in a nursing home, so it is a no brainer that the health of the residents is utmost importance as they have slower immune systems. I got mine because the people I care for are just as important as I am, in my opinion. I certainly would never think twice about thinking of myself when working in a caring profession. But there are some staff who must walk around with a mask because they simply won't get the flu shot. It tells you who these people are thinking about. (themselves only) And I've seen a nurse take hers off because she "doesn't like it". The hell is this woman in nursing for? Herself?

Oceaninmyeyes, my condolences to you. Thanks for spreading the good word. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sadly, many people will only act when it hits close to home.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • i work in health care too. i work in an orthopedic physician clinic at a hospital. we are mandated to get the flu shot. i don't mind that. i have gotten it for the last 10 years and i only got the flu one time. the way i see it, i work in health care, which is caring for the health of others. people come to me to fix their broken bones and other various injuries. they do not come to my office to go home with a potentially deadly flu. it is my responsibility to help heal them, not contribute to their ill health. the first rule of medicine is "do no harm." if you do not get vaccinated and you pass your flu to your patients that does not make you a health care provider. it makes you a selfish asshole. and i feel very, very strongly about that. i take my job seriously. everybody in health care should. but sadly, a lot of them are only in it for themselves.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I don't bristle at the "selfish" comments...heard them before, and it's OK.

I admit it - I am selfish. Neither heartless nor lacking compassion, but yeah.

In this and many other senses...my life IS about me. About my husband. Us.

First and foremost.

• i was calling healthcare workers who refuse to get the vaccination selfish.

i don't care if nonhealthcare workers don't get the vaccine. that is their choice. they should get it to protect everybody else, but if they don't and they get the flu it is on them, nobody else.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    As with every year, I'm totally frustrated by this issue. When I worked at Marshall Hospital Health Library as employees and volunteers we were encouraged to get the free flu shots that the hospital offered us. I did so during the years I worked there. Since leaving there ten years ago, I haven't had a flu shot and haven't had much change in my health. If I felt more confident about the ingredients (like NO antifreeze) I would consider taking them again. But the list of chemicals I read about scare me away.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonist said:

First and foremost.

As it should be, your health and your family's - first. I don't disagree with that. Like Gimme said, working in healthcare is a different story.

However, I stand by my last sentence: Sadly, many people will only act when it hits close to home. When a loved one falls very sick, it kinda changes your mind on the entire issue. You think of yourself, when something happens to your husband? You may feel differently.

hedonist said:

First and foremost.

As it should be, your health and your family's - first. I don't disagree with that. Like Gimme said, working in healthcare is a different story.

However, I stand by my last sentence: Sadly, many people will only act when it hits close to home. When a loved one falls very sick, it kinda changes your mind on the entire issue. You think of yourself, when something happens to your husband? You may feel differently.
    I thought your and gimme's comments might apply only to those in similar public-health positions but it was hard to tell, so thank you for clarifying.

A lot HAS happened to my husband (swine flu included a few years ago - I got hit with it the day he was released from the hospital for it). Of course we put our selves aside as we could, and took care of each other.

I imagine most of us would answer similarly, if in the same position.

When you say "act when it hits close to home"...what specific action do you mean?

• riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    oceaninmyeyes, so very sorry for your loss.

My question is, are those of you supporting the widespread use of flu shots using herd immunity as the basis for your reasoning? Because my understanding is that actual herd immunity applies to people who develop a natural immunity to disease based on actually contracting that disease. Vaccinations are supposed to mimic this immunity but fail in the long term because vaccinations are a short term solution.

Personally, I won't get a flu shot again because of the long list of questionable ingredients used to make me 'safe'. I have had very good luck with all natural methods of care; elderberry syrup is especially effective at stopping the flu in its tracks. It would be an interesting analysis if science would actually conduct statistical studies that compare holistic health care with the mainstream allopathic care methods to see a side by side comparison.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    Howdy, riotgrl! I'd never heard the term "herd immunity" before...interesting concept and as described, one that seemed to serve me well growing up, as I don't think I once took anti-biotics until I got older and they were truly necessary.

I'm going to remember your elderberry syrup comment as well - hadn't heard of that either!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Flu shots work. They shouldnt be mandatory, but people shiuuld be smart enough to get them..
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    and people SHOULD be smart enough to spell SHOULD. :D
    hedonist said:

Howdy, riotgrl! I'd never heard the term "herd immunity" before...interesting concept and as described, one that seemed to serve me well growing up, as I don't think I once took anti-biotics until I got older and they were truly necessary.

I'm going to remember your elderberry syrup comment as well - hadn't heard of that either!

Hey Hedonist!
    I take a preventative dose of elderberry every day during flu season and so far so good which is saying something since I'm surrounded by students all day! It is super easy to make (just in case you can't find any for sale around you, here is a link for a recipe) and tastes pretty good too!

wellnessmama.com/1888/how-to-make-elderberry-syrup-for-flu-prevention/

As far as the effectiveness of of the flu shot, I think that is debatable. Even the CDC (who I freely admit that I detest with a passion) states that effectiveness is dependent on multiple factors, such as health, age, and the particular strain of flu that scientists "guess" will be most prevalent in any given year. Optimum health is a far greater preventative measure against illness that a manufactured vaccine. The most amazing thing about this country though is that we all get to do our own research and make our own decisions about what is best for us!

I AM MINE
  • Last year was the first year in more than a decade where I got a flu shot and I did not get the flu last year for the first time in a decade.

I got the shot a few weeks ago. I'll update you on how it goes. ;)
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
    edited January 2014
    riotgrl said:

hedonist said:

Hey Hedonist!
    I take a preventative dose of elderberry every day during flu season and so far so good which is saying something since I'm surrounded by students all day! It is super easy to make (just in case you can't find any for sale around you, here is a link for a recipe) and tastes pretty good too!

As far as the effectiveness of of the flu shot, I think that is debatable. Even the CDC (who I freely admit that I detest with a passion) states that effectiveness is dependent on multiple factors, such as health, age, and the particular strain of flu that scientists "guess" will be most prevalent in any given year. Optimum health is a far greater preventative measure against illness that a manufactured vaccine. The most amazing thing about this country though is that we all get to do our own research and make our own decisions about what is best for us!
    I have taken elderberry syrup in tablet form. I still get colds, conjestion, whatever's going around.
    SHAME ON YOU for being around students and not caring enough about their health to get a friggin flu shot. Where is that faceplant smilie?

I would hope you have to wear a mask when the flu breaks out in your school.

edited January 2014

Flu shots work. They shouldnt be mandatory, but people shiuuld be smart enough to get them..

Agreed. On this post and the post that we all should know how to spell should. LOL

But you'll never change people's minds who don't care how many states and how many people are affected and are dying from the flu. It just doesn't bother some people. But it should.
    Actually, riotgrl is among those here whom I consider pretty level-headed and well-informed. No need for the shame on you comments (not to mention assumptions that people who've made a choice for themselves simply don't care about others).
  • hedonist said:

Actually, riotgrl is among those here whom I consider pretty level-headed and well-informed. No need for the shame on you comments (not to mention assumptions that people who've made a choice for themselves simply don't care about others).

It's not like I insulted her hedonist. When you work with the public, you take public health outbreaks seriously and do whatever it takes to protect yourself AND others. We owe it to each other. It's about all of us, not just me.

riotgrl said:

hedonist said:

Hey Hedonist!

I have taken elderberry syrup in tablet form. I still get colds, conjestion, whatever's going around.
    SHAME ON YOU for being around students and not caring enough about their health to get a friggin flu shot. Where is that faceplant smilie?

And I still get sick on occasion as well. Elderberry is not a cure all just as the flu shot does not prevent everyone from getting sick. Why in the world would you assume that I don't care about my students just because I refuse to blindly follow the recommendations of the CDC? I prefer, as I stated before, to do my own research and make up my own mind about what is right for ME. Many of our governmental agencies make questionable judgments in regards to our safety and protection especially if they are following recommendations based on studies that only profit pharmaceutical companies. Have you done any research as to the effectiveness of the flu shot or do you blindly accept what you are told? Most vaccination mentality is based on herd immunity protocol which does NOT apply to immunity from a vaccine because it is a false immunity UNLIKE immunity you gain from actual illness. Not very cool of you to try to shame me - why not have a legitimate debate?

I AM MINE
    hedonist said:

Thanks hedonist, I appreciate it.

I AM MINE
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    I don't bother with flu shots, but I think it's probably a good idea for the old, young, those with autoimmune issues, healthcare workers, and those who work or live closely with any of the above get them. I think it seems over the top for the powers that be to suggest that EVERYONE should get them though, like they have done here in BC and Alberta and I think other provinces. That causes a big rush, and then there is a shortage of the stuff, and those who really should get it can't.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2014
    riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

Hey Hedonist!

And I still get sick on occasion as well. Elderberry is not a cure all just as the flu shot does not prevent everyone from getting sick. Why in the world would you assume that I don't care about my students just because I refuse to blindly follow the recommendations of the CDC? I prefer, as I stated before, to do my own research and make up my own mind about what is right for ME. Many of our governmental agencies make questionable judgments in regards to our safety and protection especially if they are following recommendations based on studies that only profit pharmaceutical companies. Have you done any research as to the effectiveness of the flu shot or do you blindly accept what you are told? Most vaccination mentality is based on herd immunity protocol which does NOT apply to immunity from a vaccine because it is a false immunity UNLIKE immunity you gain from actual illness. Not very cool of you to try to shame me - why not have a legitimate debate?
    If you cared about your students, then wear a mask when your school gets infiltrated with the flu then. There is a reason for vaccines. Don't get me started about gov't agencies, I can already tell that we'd be on the same side of that debate. But when there is an outbreak of a disease? Yes, I believe that since it does appear to work, and you work with the young (I assume) that getting the shot FOR THEIR SAKE would be worthwhile. Not YOUR sake, THEIRS. I am not talking about personal choice about what's right for you. I am talking about what's best for others, especially the young and the old, and those with compromised immune systems. Not YOU personally.

And the whole herd immunity? Are you kidding. Tell that to the parents of the kids who now have Whopping Cough due to all those other children not getting the vaccine for the past 10 years. The measles is another getting around after years of it being nowhere due to widespread vaccination. There is a REASON FOR VACCINES and it's not herd mentality!

But before you fire back with your reasons against vaccinations? I'm already done. I've been here, done this debate, and I'm not doing it again. All I ask is that you actually think about the kids you work with, THEIR HEALTH, and what you would do FOR THEM, if the flu got around your school. Because the flu shot is not about what we, personally, want to do to our bodies. It's about KEEPING OTHERS HEALTHY.

edited January 2014

riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

Hey Hedonist!

Duplicate post.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Riotgrl, you aren't alone. Kudos for your stance.
    <

riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

Hey Hedonist!

If you cared about your students, then wear a mask when your school gets infiltrated with the flu then. There is a reason for vaccines. Don't get me started about gov't agencies, I can already tell that we'd be on the same side of that debate. But when there is an outbreak of a disease? Yes, I believe that since it does appear to work, and you work with the young (I assume) that getting the shot FOR THEIR SAKE would be worthwhile. Not YOUR sake, THEIRS. I am not talking about personal choice about what's right for you. I am talking about what's best for others, especially the young and the old, and those with compromised immune systems. Not YOU personally.

And the whole herd immunity? Are you kidding. Tell that to the parents of the kids who now have Whopping Cough due to all those other children not getting the vaccine for the past 10 years. The measles is another getting around after years of it being nowhere due to widespread vaccination. There is a REASON FOR VACCINES and it's not herd mentality!

But before you fire back with your reasons against vaccinations? I'm already done. I've been here, done this debate, and I'm not doing it again. All I ask is that you actually think about the kids you work with, THEIR HEALTH, and what you would do FOR THEM, if the flu got around your school. Because the flu shot is not about what we, personally, want to do to our bodies. It's about KEEPING OTHERS HEALTHY.

I won't argue the merits or problems with vaccinations but I would like to state that I am NOT in any way endangering my students (high school BTW) but maybe THEY (and really I should say their parents since I won't blame kids for what their parents have taught them) are endangering themselves. I have spent a great deal of time researching health issues related to the consumption of the standard American diet and the inherent problems that come with living as most American do in this country which equates to being ill a great deal of time. Vaccinations might help but, statistically, vaccinations don't help as often as they should because many who get vaccinations are in poor health - many without realizing it. Why are our kids so ill? Is it really because I don't get a flu shot? No, it is because my students eat donuts for breakfast followed by a 2 liter of coke and the crap they feed them in the cafeteria at lunch followed by McDonald's right after school and probably again for dinner. We are an unhealthy nation that sit on the couch and rely on vaccines and antibiotics and other magic pills to make it all better. So, I fully accept MY responsibility for eating a healthy diet full of un-processed food all made at home by me, sourced from local farmers who don't use pesticides nor GMO products, followed by water to drink, on most occasions, and a 2-4 mile run every day or walking if I can't run. I AM healthy and I DO care about everyone, that is usually the hallmark of teaching and teachers. Can you (or my students) say they do as much to care for themselves so I don't get sick?

I AM MINE
    edited January 2014
    Have to agree with you about what we're eating, riotgirl. You are what you eat, but getting vaccinated protects from getting disease contracted through human contact, not necessarily due to poor health and diet. Come on. Your diet will not keep you from getting the flu completely. Will it help? Sure, somewhat. Stress, emotional and mental health, all of this overall health can play a part in how often we get sick.

Again, I just hope that you wear that mask around the students when/if the flu infiltrates your school. My daughter's school closed down for a day from so many getting the flu last year. It wasn't due to the poor health of the students and staff. It was due to the flu getting around. Do it for the students.

edited January 2014
    riotgrl said:

Can you (or my students) say they do as much to care for themselves so I don't get sick?

I have to add to this question. See, I feel that rather than looking at the flu outbreak on the whole as a country wide epidemic and getting vaccinated to keep the numbers down of those hospitalized from the flu, you are looking at it entirely from a "Me" standpoint. It's a viewpoint that you're not willing to step away from and to see the big picture of, and the responsibility that we (and especially you as a teacher to children) have in protecting EACH OTHER, not just ourselves. Think outside the me box! You take care of our kids, so please show some care in their health as well as your own. When you get sick, make sure you're not getting them sick, and it goes vice-versa. Wear a mask or get vaccinated!

Have to agree with you about what we're eating, riotgirl. You are what you eat, but getting vaccinated protects from getting disease contracted through human contact, not necessarily due to poor health and diet. Come on. Your diet will not keep you from getting the flu completely. Will it help? Sure, somewhat. Stress, emotional and mental health, all of this overall health can play a part in how often we get sick.

Again, I just hope that you wear that mask around the students when/if the flu infiltrates your school. My daughter's school closed down for a day from so many getting the flu last year. It wasn't due to the poor health of the students and staff. It was due to the flu getting around. Do it for the students.

First, will you please stick with debating the topic and refrain from commenting on my character and questioning my integrity? It's completely uncool of you. I know that vaccination is a hot button topic and rises ire in everyone but, surely, we can discuss this like adults - if not, we can end the conversation here and say well done on presenting opposing sides of the argument.

Second, my comment about health is spot on if you understand that over 70% of our immune system is located in our guts. Therefore, if someone chooses to eat pesticide laden fruits and veggies or pink slime burgers from McDonald's or hormone and antibiotic laced beef from factory farmed animals then you start to see that our guts (our immune systems) are overrun with toxins. Our liver attempts to filter and remove these toxins but when we are continually bombarded from a multitude of sources (for example, air pollutants, water pollutants, etc) then it is completely overwhelmed and doesn't function at the rate we need it to. I understand and, in the past, completely agreed with flu vaccines as being beneficial, however, when we reduce our toxic load then we give our bodies a much stronger ability to build antibodies to ward off colds, the flu, and even autoimmune diseases. I agree with your assessment, diet will not completely protect us but it will help. Stress, mental, emotional, and physical, all lower our immunity and make it easier for us to contract illness and disease - why not do everything we can to improve our immune function rather than create a larger toxic load for our bodies? Esepcially if we are already susceptible to illness because of other underlying problems?

For instance, the ingredients that are standard in the flu vaccine contribute to our toxic load, check here: cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

There are multiple manufacturers of flu vaccines but just to list one vaccines ingredients: Influenza (Agriflu) egg proteins, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, cetyltrimethylammonium bromide, neomycin sulfate, kanamycin

Formaldehyde has been classified as a known human carcinogen (cancer causing substance). That ONE substance creates a heavy load for our bodies and FOR ME that negates the effectiveness of the flu vaccine because of the toxic load my body receives from that one substance (and I am completely discounting any other ingredients that may be problematic). I fully respect everyone here that feels that this vaccine or ANY vaccine is worthwhile to use, all I ask is for the same respect because I choose to fortify my immune system through a reduced toxic load, healthy food, and consistent exercise.

Here is a link to a quick article about your gut biome: sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130916122214.htm

I AM MINE
    edited January 2014
    riotgrl said:

First, will you please stick with debating the topic and refrain from commenting on my character and questioning my integrity? It's completely uncool of you. I know that vaccination is a hot button topic and rises ire in everyone but, surely, we can discuss this like adults - if not, we can end the conversation here and say well done on presenting opposing sides of the argument.

Second, my comment about health is spot on if you understand that over 70% of our immune system is located in our guts. Therefore, if someone chooses to eat pesticide laden fruits and veggies or pink slime burgers from McDonald's or hormone and antibiotic laced beef from factory farmed animals then you start to see that our guts (our immune systems) are overrun with toxins. Our liver attempts to filter and remove these toxins but when we are continually bombarded from a multitude of sources (for example, air pollutants, water pollutants, etc) then it is completely overwhelmed and doesn't function at the rate we need it to. I understand and, in the past, completely agreed with flu vaccines as being beneficial, however, when we reduce our toxic load then we give our bodies a much stronger ability to build antibodies to ward off colds, the flu, and even autoimmune diseases. I agree with your assessment, diet will not completely protect us but it will help. Stress, mental, emotional, and physical, all lower our immunity and make it easier for us to contract illness and disease - why not do everything we can to improve our immune function rather than create a larger toxic load for our bodies? Esepcially if we are already susceptible to illness because of other underlying problems?

For instance, the ingredients that are standard in the flu vaccine contribute to our toxic load, check here: cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

There are multiple manufacturers of flu vaccines but just to list one vaccines ingredients: Influenza (Agriflu) egg proteins, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, cetyltrimethylammonium bromide, neomycin sulfate, kanamycin

Formaldehyde has been classified as a known human carcinogen (cancer causing substance). That ONE substance creates a heavy load for our bodies and FOR ME that negates the effectiveness of the flu vaccine because of the toxic load my body receives from that one substance (and I am completely discounting any other ingredients that may be problematic). I fully respect everyone here that feels that this vaccine or ANY vaccine is worthwhile to use, all I ask is for the same respect because I choose to fortify my immune system through a reduced toxic load, healthy food, and consistent exercise.

Here is a link to a quick article about your gut biome: sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130916122214.htm
    I'm sorry if you feel that I'm questioning your integrity. But you work with our kids. You work with the public. Please wear a mask if you refuse to get the flu shot. If you don't like feeling like I'm questioning your motives as to the flu shot, then don't work with kids and I won't bother you. When we work in these professions, it's not just about me. It's about them. Something I feel you're not really looking at and addressing.