Options

HBO: True Detective

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I enjoyed the first episode more the 2nd time I watched it, at least for me, it felt like it came together better. I thought that way about most of the first season as well.

I had the desire to rewatch every episode in the first season the same week. Haven't had that same desire yet. Hoping that changes this week.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    I thought the first episode was great...lots of story lines being set up
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,036

I thought the first episode was great...lots of story lines being set up

agreed
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Poncier said:

I think if Rachel McAdams was Farrell's ex-wife, they wouldn't have had to introduce themselves in the final scene.

Oops, I forgot that I stopped it with a few minutes left! :lol:

Damn, I thought I was really onto something! :wink:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Plus, neither one of them are ginger although Rachel has dyed her hair red before. You got to be natural to have a ginger kid like that.
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    But the rapist could be a ginger! I'm a ginger and both my parents are brunettes!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    jlaustin said:

But the rapist could be a ginger! I'm a ginger and both my parents are brunettes!

• Options
    That was a ballsy episode two ending.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Holy shit. Don't mess with birdman.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    Well that was quite an ending. Not sure how I feel about it. Colin Farrell's character was definitely the most interesting. Seems kinda dumb that they would only use him for 2 episodes.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    to me it's not working with Vince Vaughn. His body language and tone is almost the same when he is trying to be a tough guy as opposed to when not. to me the way he is playing the character is pretty flat and dull. need someone more dynamic.

Farrell was great and was my favorite character in this season.

• Options

Well that was quite an ending. Not sure how I feel about it. Colin Farrell's character was definitely the most interesting. Seems kinda dumb that they would only use him for 2 episodes.

He survives. But then again, it's fiction. Unless you've got a vest, it's very rare that you survive shit like that in real life. There's a photo still of him and McAdams in a scene where he's wearing a huge bandage around his chest.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    Yeah in the scenes for next week one of the guys refers to him being shot, not being killed....so I assumed he would be back.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Yeah in the scenes for next week one of the guys refers to him being shot, not being killed....so I assumed he would be back.

Ahh yeah. That must have been some vest he was wearing to survive 2 shotgun blasts to the chest.

Pretty sure I had a dream with that birdman in it last night.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

Ahh yeah. That must have been some vest he was wearing to survive 2 shotgun blasts to the chest.

i'm thinking the shooter is the other cop, the taylor klitsch dude.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks said:

Why would he have put on a act when he discovered the body though?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

Also wasn't he sent to LA for the investigation?
    Oh wait. Colin Farrell said the house was in Hollywood right?
    Is Hollywood actually in LA? I'm not familiar with the geography of that area.

But they showed him looking at the hooker boy outside from his balcony like he was thinking about going down to get some.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    edited June 2015
    ldent42 said:

JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

Also wasn't he sent to LA for the investigation?
    Oh wait. Colin Farrell said the house was in Hollywood right?
    Is Hollywood actually in LA? I'm not familiar with the geography of that area.

But they showed him looking at the hooker boy outside from his balcony like he was thinking about going down to get some.
    Hollywood is a City in the larger area considered as LA, yes. (Even though I lived in/around LA for 20 years I actually cannot tell you if all of these smaller cities are technically considered LA or not...)
    Guessing where he was was West Hollywood or somewhere in that area if they had dudes out on the street like that so that could have put him in that proximity. Also thought it was strange that he shared his story about wanting to punch a guy that hit on him earlier. Guessing that is why he needed his blue pill to get with his lady.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    Really enjoying this new season.

Seemed like a cheap plot device for Ray to get shot with rubber bullets, but I'm just glad his character wasn't killed or out for a few episodes as he's definitely the most interesting character.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    Yeah it's getting good. People need to stop comparing it to the first season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I thought it is getting better as well. I think episode 4 or 5 it really takes off. All of this is to set up the coming twist in the plot.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    The reviews I saw were so negative, but I kind of like it. One too many plot lines and way WAY too many freeway shots (I live in LA and that feels cliche to me), but I think Colin Farrell is fabulous (I loved what he did to bully boy's dad).
  • Options

Yeah it's getting good. People need to stop comparing it to the first season.

Yeah, I don't get the constant comparisons to season 1. It's the same writer, but it's essentially a brand new TV show.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    colin farrell is great isn't he? I was never a fan of his and was feeling hesitant of this season because of that....but he's acting the hell out of this velcoro character.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

The reviews I saw were so negative, but I kind of like it. One too many plot lines and way WAY too many freeway shots (I live in LA and that feels cliche to me), but I think Colin Farrell is fabulous (I loved what he did to bully boy's dad).

Dont you feel sort of like you are watching an old CHiPs episode with all of those freeway shots? (Except just at night instead bright daylight?)

I like it so far but think the writing for Double Down Trent is too much. He has good lines but they just dont come off naturally. I really love some of his stuff but I think they just didn't hit a match here.

Like it just fine though I thought last episode was pretty good.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Enkidu said:

Dont you feel sort of like you are watching an old CHiPs episode with all of those freeway shots? (Except just at night instead bright daylight?)

I like it so far but think the writing for Double Down Trent is too much. He has good lines but they just dont come off naturally. I really love some of his stuff but I think they just didn't hit a match here.

Like it just fine though I thought last episode was pretty good.
    There were a lot of shots of the bayou in the first season. Kind of the mythology behind the crime. I think it is sort the same with the 2nd season, with the rail corridor and the change in the transportation model being one of the things behind the crime. Instead of bayou, they are showing the highways.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I'm digging it now.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    I dig alot..that weird mood is awesome
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Well that shootout was pretty fucking wild last night. Although kinda weird that it was with these random gangbangers that just appeared in last night's episode.

I'm guessing that this task force won't be around anymore after that shootout and a bunch of innocent bystanders getting killed. Hard to believe the season is already halfway done.
  • Options
    Yeah I thought the same thing....death count was about 20 (seemingly) including Dan from Deadwood who got his lid blown off and the 3 of them made it through.

Beware of next week -- Colin shaved his facial hair -- he is getting real!