Options

HBO: True Detective

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Err, I mean:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    definitely has picked up nicely in the last two weeks. I think Vince Vaughn has gotten way better in the last two episodes as well. 1st two i thought his performance was kind of weak but has gotten his feet under the character. Farell and McAdams have been really good since the 1st episode. I don't really get where they are going with the other cop's story line between being gay or not. Not sure if it's just background character stuff but to me seems pretty irrelevant to the show as a whole. we will see i guess.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    pjhawks said:

definitely has picked up nicely in the last two weeks. I think Vince Vaughn has gotten way better in the last two episodes as well. 1st two i thought his performance was kind of weak but has gotten his feet under the character. Farell and McAdams have been really good since the 1st episode. I don't really get where they are going with the other cop's story line between being gay or not. Not sure if it's just background character stuff but to me seems pretty irrelevant to the show as a whole. we will see i guess.

Completely agree about Vince Vaughn....he has been really good the past 2 episodes. And like you said, Farrell and McAdams have both been great.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Seems like they were set up. Starting with the watch in the pawn shop. None of the big wigs from the Vinci police were at the shooting.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    JK_Livin said:

Seems like they were set up. Starting with the watch in the pawn shop. None of the big wigs from the Vinci police were at the shooting.

Set up for sure. Now that Deadwood Dan is dead I wonder where that story goes. He was the one taking pictures of the other cop and his military lover fighting.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Ok, finally caught up.
    This season seriously sucks so much ass!
    I realize it could never be close to what season one was, but this season is fn garbage!
  • Options
    Oh, and I don't see how anyone can say Vince Vaughn is anything other than a terrible actor.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    mca47 said:

Oh, and I don't see how anyone can say Vince Vaughn is anything other than a terrible actor.

Yeah, because Matthew McConaughey was the 2nd coming of Daniel Day Lewis before he ditched rom coms. *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    Vince should just keep to the crappy comedies.
  • Options
    Best episode of the season. Good to see some actual direction in the show!

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mca47 said:

Best episode of the season. Good to see some actual direction in the show!

Yes it is coming together. I'm still thinking too many leads for such a short series. It's hard to build character depth that way. I don't feel attached to any of the characters.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Last 2 episodes was great!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Another good one. Feels like so much is going to have to happen over these next 2 episodes.

That scene at the house at the end was wild...the background music was so weird but I liked it.
  • Options
    Who the fuck is Stan? The really should have given us a little more info about him.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Who the fuck is Stan? The really should have given us a little more info about him.

Yeah, the whole focus on Stan has been strange. I think he was in the 1st episode as one of Frank's guys?
  • Options
    So we knew at least one of them had to die right? What does everyone think? Is Frank going to make it?
  • Options
    One of the better episodes. They kept saying all these different names and it's difficult remembering who is who. I can't even remember the name of the guy that shot Riggins.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

One of the better episodes. They kept saying all these different names and it's difficult remembering who is who. I can't even remember the name of the guy that shot Riggins.

Yeah, that was a really good episode. Completely agree with it being difficult to remember all of the different names of all these characters. It was Burris who shot him at the end....one of the guys from the Vinci PD. And I only know his name because I looked it up.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Yeah, that was a really good episode. Completely agree with it being difficult to remember all of the different names of all these characters. It was Burris who shot him at the end....one of the guys from the Vinci PD. And I only know his name because I looked it up.
    agree also. I had no clue who the guy was that did the shooting at the end. i know i've seen him before but wasn't sure who he was right off hand.

last couple weeks have been really good. can't wait to see how this wraps up. hour and half final episode next week so a bit more time to come to a conclusion.

and i say yes Frank makes it.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

agree also. I had no clue who the guy was that did the shooting at the end. i know i've seen him before but wasn't sure who he was right off hand.

last couple weeks have been really good. can't wait to see how this wraps up. hour and half final episode next week so a bit more time to come to a conclusion.

Yeah, I think Frank is going to make it too. Contrary to what most are saying,I think Vince Vaughn has been great in this role. First episode or 2 were a little rough for him, but he has been very good since then.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Yeah, I think Frank is going to make it too. Contrary to what most are saying,I think Vince Vaughn has been great in this role. First episode or 2 were a little rough for him, but he has been very good since then.
    agree Vaughn wasn't very good in the 1st 2 episodes but has been good since. Farrell and McAdams have been great from the beginning. Farrell to me has been a revelation. never was a fan but he's been great in this.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    awesome episode..show is really good
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

agree Vaughn wasn't very good in the 1st 2 episodes but has been good since. Farrell and McAdams have been great from the beginning. Farrell to me has been a revelation. never was a fan but he's been great in this.
    Same with Farrell but replace True Detective with In Bruges. Couldn't stand him until that movie.

BTW, I finally saw his breakthrough role, Tigerland, on HBO Now a few months ago and he's great in that.
  • Options
    He turned the corner for me in Horrible Bosses.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Same with Farrell but replace True Detective with In Bruges. Couldn't stand him until that movie.

BTW, I finally saw his breakthrough role, Tigerland, on HBO Now a few months ago and he's great in that.
    In Bruges is a very unappreciated movie. Loved it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Just caught up with the last two episodes the last two evenings...very interested to see where it goes.

I agree that things have really turned up and it will end well.

The sound is difficult for this, as it was last year -- have to turn the volume way up to hear (Insert Character who Mumbles Here)

Was sorry to see Riggins get wasted but liked watching him take out that crew before.
    I say Double Down Trent dies after exacting his revenge
    His wife from Sherlock Holmes has those large cannons finally fall out. I dig her role but would dig that too.
    The other Sherlock Holmes lady, our hot mess of a Detective will live. Loved her scene telling how she had been waiting for someone to try that for a long time after she cut the guy up and down.

I think Colin Farrell / Alexander / Phone Booth will die saving hot mess detective.

Love the bad Russian dude and hope there is a big face-off with Trent next week. Loved him in Sons of Anarchy and those awesome commercials he used to do where he kissed his golden giraffe for Direct TV.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I think Stan comes back from the dead and saves the day.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Finale was OK. Farrell, McAdams, and Vaughn had really good individual performances for the season, but the plot was just too fucking confusing most of the time. Definitely felt like I was saying "who the hell is that guy?" to myself constantly throughout the season. Not the best, but still a lot better than most shows on TV these days.
  • Options

Finale was OK. Farrell, McAdams, and Vaughn had really good individual performances for the season, but the plot was just too fucking confusing most of the time. Definitely felt like I was saying "who the hell is that guy?" to myself constantly throughout the season. Not the best, but still a lot better than most shows on TV these days.

Agree. A longer season would have given them more time to flesh the characters out. The finale was a little all over the place.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Agree. A longer season would have given them more time to flesh the characters out. The finale was a little all over the place.
    Longer season would have helped with that many characters. but overall, I really enjoyed the season. Unlike Season 1 where they only took down the lawnmower man and could not get into the the bigger picture of the power behind the Cult and its kidnappings. This season the "detectives" were in way over the heads and ended up losing.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...