Options

the 2013 Fan Club 45rpm record...opinions?

Comments

• Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 479
    Who's gonna be the first to manage to get their 7" signed by Jeanne? I think that'd be funny and cool as hell.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Not in Dayton Ohio yet but that's okay I'm not really looking forward to it.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    pjradio wrote:
    just reading thru the comments...does everyone realize that the "band" wasn't even there for the Shattered thing?...it was an EV solo, private party.

They've had a few things that were just EV - Devil Doll, Hawaii '78, for example. Except those were interesting beyond one take. Frankly, "Shattered" cracked me up in the way "Olympic Platinum" does.

BUT, I'm soooooo agitated (a feeling maybe enhanced by a few beers) that 99 Problems doesn't include WMA. That's just fuckin' lame.
    I get we may never get MIA as a boot, even though my friends have told me i'm in the damned movie, but they could've given us this one sliver.

Ah, enough bitching. I gotta plan for Oslo. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Good for you i say
  • Options
    no. just no.

Fucking Hell this is just... horrid. :fp:
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    This is one of the worst things 10C has given us since the piece of crap "Analog" t-shirt...one of the laziest efforts of a holiday single to date - complete garbage.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    im still waiting for them to tell us this is some kind of practical joke
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    This is one of the worst things 10C has given us since the piece of crap "Analog" t-shirt...one of the laziest efforts of a holiday single to date - complete garbage.

I like the shirt. It's comfy and better than all the stickers we keep getting.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    no. just no.

Fucking Hell this is just... horrid. :fp:

Holy spit! We agree on something. Let's cherish this moment. :D
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,024
    JTH wrote:
    I love everything about this year's single. Now that I've come here and seen how many people hate it, I love it even more.

+1
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    phaqew wrote:
    I now have 2 of my favorite rock bands covering this song with Jay-Z himself. Phish did it in 2003 in Coney island (I was there). He came out and did big pimpin' and 99 problems with Phish. It was a riot.

It was a nice surprise to hear PJ playing it with him too. They did a great job with it.

Remember, after the 'last kiss' single exploded, pearl jam said they wouldn't try to do another commercially successful song as a fan club single, because they wanted the fanclub to have something special without the risk of it being played every 5 seconds on commercial radio.

you know, everyone complaining should not renew their memberships. the less of you that are in this club the better my seats will be on the next tour.

hate lightning bolt? dont buy it!
    hate the holiday single? dont renew your 10c membership!
    complain about the seats you get? - dont buy em! better seats for me!

thanks for listening.

I am thankful these guys are together, still making great, relevant music, and appreciate their fans as much as they do.

when was the last time you saw the Stones do something cool for the fans without a ridiculous price tag involved?
    come on,its a conversation about the single..people like it ,people dont like it..
    there is not only black and white in a conversation..if you dont like a song,or a release doesnt mean u arent a fan or need to quite the club..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    my opinion for the single,
    i would like to put in the whole wma/99 problems in the recording,maybe there is areason not to do it
    i like eddie cover,was fun,even better seeing the video,but i prefer a pj performance
    we had eddie solo in the past..i prefer pj to play,or some other band member solo-side project work
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot in Basic Instinct. 8-)
    word
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk

I like that they stayed true to the original.

it could've been a whole lot worse...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnJnXq4YQ8#t=43
  • Options
    Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot in Basic Instinct. 8-)

and wet in Waterworld.
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    My opinion = awesome to get the single in my hand at Xmas time...
    My opinion = glad to have the Jay Z collab strictly for novelty purposes...Jeff's base line is the true star of that tune
    My opinion = Shattered is a novelty one-off - kind of made me laugh, now "shadooby" is stuck in my head

I would like to see next years singles be the following:
    A SIDE: A cover version (full band) of James Brown's "Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto"
    B Side: Full band version of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve (12/24)" featuring a McCready gnarly solo at the end and Ed simply plucking his uke to close

Thanks to PJ and the 10Club for the great gift! Merry Xmas everyone!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    I dont chime in often but I really must on this one. PJ on the same stage with JayZ playing his song is complete bullsh*t. Remember when PJ used to stand up for women and women's rights? Playing with JayZ (an artist who has blantant misogynistic lyrics) is just unacceptable. 99 problems but a bitch aint one? Our women (and fan club)deserve better.

PS - Anyone else think that the choice of a sheep for the Falla collab was ironic?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,096
    I like it. As usual I can't believe all the complaining.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I KNOW :!:
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    At first I was like WTF, but after seeing the vid and Jean's Letterman appearance it at least put it in to some perspective. I naturally would have preferred a LB outtake, but let's face it, that wasn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,174
    i would like to put in the whole wma/99 problems in the recording,maybe there is areason not to do it
    i like eddie cover,was fun,even better seeing the video,but i prefer a pj performance
    I was actually hoping 99 Problems would be the single this year…with WMA though. Really wish it was both. Second, I agree, I prefer a PJ as b-side. Of The Earth, Mother at Wrigley, Eruption/Aint Talkin Bout Love, something along those lines. The Shattered thing is fine, but its something I'm definitely not gonna dig over and over again. Even though they didn't include WMA the A-side is pretty cool to me.
  • Options
    My 45 just came. Hey ya gotta give them credit for actually getting them to us by Christmas this year.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,322
    I'm not a jz or a julie andrews fan, so this is nothing more than a cushion for my other 45's to lean against. Oh, but I do like Jeanne Tripplehorn in Criminal Minds.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,727
    JTH wrote:
    I love everything about this year's single. Now that I've come here and seen how many people hate it, I love it even more.

+1
    Awesome, at least the hipsters are happy. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I like it. As usual I can't believe all the complaining.

Let's be clear. Just because folks think this is crap does not mean they are complaining. One can have a negative opinion of something and not be complaining. I know. Novel idea for the folks that love everything with a P or a J on it. But, please for your own sake try wrapping your mind around that.

This single is crap. Pure and simple. Nobody hopes either of these appear on a lost dogs 2. The b side will be long forgotten other than as a joke by New Years.

I think the one lesson we can all gain from this - better to wait until March for the annual single than get it by Christmas. Like LB, the wait is usually worth it. Now release the PJ20 AV boots, damn it!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    I dont chime in often but I really must on this one. PJ on the same stage with JayZ playing his song is complete bullsh*t. Remember when PJ used to stand up for women and women's rights? Playing with JayZ (an artist who has blantant misogynistic lyrics) is just unacceptable. 99 problems but a bitch aint one? Our women (and fan club)deserve better.

Completely agree. I find this pretty disgusting. Hope I never hear Ed talk about women's rights again.
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    I was actually hoping 99 Problems would be the single this year…with WMA though. Really wish it was both. Second, I agree, I prefer a PJ as b-side. Of The Earth, Mother at Wrigley, Eruption/Aint Talkin Bout Love, something along those lines. The Shattered thing is fine, but its something I'm definitely not gonna dig over and over again. Even though they didn't include WMA the A-side is pretty cool to me.
    Its really strange to me,how not alot of fans not comment the fact they didnt add WMA along with 99 problems..
    i really expect something from wrigley to be in,i was sure would not be from LB tour..
    and again,eddie is talented,we know that,but i want pj at the single or even another band member solo work
  • Options
    I think to not appreciate 99 Problems as the single is to take for granted all the official bootlegs. There's a sense of entitlement people seem to have for every live recording and they tend to want new studio recordings for stuff like the Xmas singles. In The Moonlight with Josh Homme? "We already have an audience recording. And hell, while you're mixing THAT, why don't you mix the rest of PJ20 and put it out already!" Long gone are the days of stuff like "Smile" LIVE in 1996 meaning anything to fans.

And ya know why I think this single is rubbing people the wrong way? It's two songs without Eddie on vocals (even though he does some backing on Shattered). The '95 single (my favorite) has vocals from Joey Ramone, Mark Arm, the Finn brothers, and an Elvis impersonator. But it has plenty of Eddie as well. Times where somebody else sang (Jeff doing the Ramones, Mike doing Turning Mist) were at least backed by other tunes sang by Eddie. Here, you have two songs not sung by Eddie. Now....if for example they were sung by like Chris Cornell and Neil Young, we'd be like "well...okay....this seems about right." But here, with Jay-Z and Tripplehorn are so far away of what Pearl Jam is usually about, I can understand people thinking "I don't like rap or Julie Andrews. What is this?"

I'm happy about 99 Problems cause I was there at MIA and wanted an official release. I think Shattered isn't as good a choice but to give credit where credit is due, it is a good Julie Andrews Singing The Rolling Stones job by her. Uploading a video on the band's youtube channel is cool. It's cool. It's a good, fun performance. It just, to me, doesn't belong on this 2013 single. And it is a little Seth McFarlaneish of Eddie to think "alright, the majority of my fans will hate this..but I THINK IT'S FUNNY so it's coming out."

Here's all the Xmas singles. Three hours of holiday fun.

http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2013/12/c ... on_19.html
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the fact that Eddie isn't on lead vocals has nothing to do with why i hate this single and think it sucks. If it were any other member of the actual band singing i'd be totally cool with that. I just expect the PJ xmas single to be, you know, pearl jam. Plus, both songs suck. Side B is stupid (and i must say, really self-indulgent on Eddie's part), and 99 Problems is a Jay-Z single. Why i dislike this year's single is not complicated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Telecaster wrote:

Completely agree. I find this pretty disgusting. Hope I never hear Ed talk about women's rights again.
    Really?? :? I would just like Eddie to apologize and continue being a great advocate for women's rights. And if he doesn't apologize (he won't), I know thatneveryone makes mistakes and will.still want him to be a great advocate for women's rights. If everyone who did something hypocritical stepped down from the cause they support there wouldn't be any causes left.